Isaac
Years ago

Sydney vs Adelaide, Feb 4

Sit down people. Hold on to something. Brace yourselves mentally.

The 36ers are favourites with Centrebet on the road in Sydney this Friday...

Topic #24872 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

possibly could see Daly v Madgen at the point, be like watching sturt v eastern

Reply #306650 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

I also think the 6ers will win.

However, I have been disappointed after games similar to this over the last sveral years. 6ers beat some good teams, look like they might be pulling things together, only to lose on the road to a crap team (and then continue to lose after this)

Reply #306666 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

Really favourites, now there is a first.
Come on SIXERS

Reply #306668 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Heh, knowing it, we've just hexed their chance of winning by posting this thread.

Reply #306676 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Shannon is suiting up? I think thats crucial to our success. Especially with Dickel out. If Shannon is fit & plays well I think we will win by around 10 points, but if his foot is no good then I think the game could go either way.

Reply #306677 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think it comes down to how they approach the game. No doubt, if they bring the same focus and intensity as they did against Perth, they will win. That, and stopping Khazzouh. The guy is a monster in the paint.

Lineups:

C - Ballinger V Khazzouh
PF - Holmes V Dann
SF - Hill V Sanders
SF - Howard V Madgen
PG - Carter V Martin
6 - Creek V Gilder
7 - Johnson V Knight
8 - Dowdell V Scoines
9 - Daly V ?

Not sure if Shannon/Bruce are back into the lineup, and obviously Dickel is out for the Kings.

Would think Clarke would go with Howard on Sanders and Hill on Madgen, Eastern teammates.

Really think we can win this one.

Reply #306684 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I'll be at the game on Friday night in Sydney (am a Kings fan now by default, given I can't go to 6ers games anymore, although my allegiances will be torn on Friday night).

Should be a good game. Ballinger will have a tough time with Khazzouh, however without Dickel running the show for the Kings we might struggle in that department. Martin will probably start - he played OK against the Gold Coast but Dickel was definitely better.

If Gilder and Sanders have good games for the Kings along with Khazzouh I think we'll win, however our imports are very hot and cold. That, or Benny Madgen lights it up for 25 to 30 points.

Reply #306703 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Lets hope DANN gets his teeth knocked out!

Reply #306712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually lets hope Dann doesn't get his teeth knocked out again.

Reply #306725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kings will struggle without Dickel - he was doing a great job of getting the tempo and ball into the right place.

Reply #306730 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wishing an injury upon someone isn't cool man.

For those worried about the Khazzouh mismatch, he has put up 13/10 and then 10/9 in his 2 games vs Adelaide this year so we've covered him well so far. Always a chance to bust out for 25/15 though.

I'll tip Sixers by 13 if Eddie plays 25+ mins. By 5 if he doesn't.

Reply #306734 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Beat perth twice in a row, u mite b playing in the GF?? Played a perth team on sat still devo from the captian not there. Like to c wen we get Knight & Wagstaf with brown playing bit more games, will give any team any where a run!!! Kings by 11

Reply #306760 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

GKcats your team has been beaten by Adelaide 3 times this season.

THREE TIMES.

Sydneys days are up. Time to build on what we have developed this season. DJ will do well in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to help out on Khazzouh. Hill and Creek will win the take it to rack contest.

Reply #306765 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I dont really want his teeth knocked out I Love that guy from Forrest Gump.

Reply #306855 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Looks like Shannon is out and Bruce is in...

Reply #306859 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sydney look like they are on the verge of stringing together a few wins.

Reply #306905 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Adelaide to win this one, although both teams have shown some good form of late. I think our bench is far supperior to that of the Kings and they would need there A game to continue that, but like stated we would need our bench to take over in peruods when needed and have a good third period, 6ers need to put it all on the line especially against a team below them. Show no mercy boy's. C'Mon 6ers

Reply #306910 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

FM us yes, 1st game, the other 2 times with 3 ove our bigs!!! Like to c u play & how would ure 69ers go then??? All the top teams have been injury free with alex miss in a couple for tiapans & were still second!!!! Doesnt matter who wins the 1st game ove the season or series?? Its the team that wins the last game ove the yr!!! & it wont be the city ove poofters!!!!!

Reply #306911 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hahaha I have no clue what he said.

Reply #306912 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I knew Perth was a long way from civilization and the 'ole cats have been known to be quite feral, but I didn't know they spoke gibberish as their main language now!?!?!?

GKcats - did you complete grade 4?

Reply #306913 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

GKCats you're hilarious..reading your error ridden post made me thankful that Im partially educated..Go Sixers!

Reply #306916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8pm tonight on One HD.

Reply #306923 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

GKCats is a good example why you shouldn't get your sister pregnant

Reply #306934 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

With both sides down their starting point guard, offensive structures are really going to get tested.

Reply #306974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SYDNEY BY 11

Reply #306984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game is on One HD at 7:30pm now.

Reply #306991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers by 15

Reply #307012 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

Geez GKcats I know detainees on Christmas Island that write better english than you.

But on a better note I'll write it out in your language for you.

Geez Imbred one I no forien peple on xmas eyeland that rite beter englih thn u.

Reply #307013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AHAHAHAH Gold!

GKcats, I though school was back??

Reply #307015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GKcats, any retarded words after getting OWNED 5 times?

Reply #307017 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Geez that timeout just taken at the 7minute mark of the third down 12, wasnt very inspiring. The intensity is non exisistent. They have no backbone, sad times for 6ers fans all in all.

Reply #307021 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

WOW back to 4, happy to stand corrected, but all for nothing if this team doesnt learn how to box out consistantly. If 6ers can stay close, Kings are very likely to tighten up, cant let Kings go on one more run.

Reply #307023 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Daly and Creek putting together solid games. Creek looks more solid when laying it in as opposed to going up for the flush.

Reply #307025 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Big comment from Andrew Gaze, Tom Daly is the second comming of Brett Maher!!

Is Khazzouh a bit of a ref favourite, I havent seen much of this game tonight but ive seen 3 very soft calls against him so far!! any comments on the first 3 quarters

Reply #307026 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

Reply #307027 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

creek and daly have been great next year get rid of hill and chase Madgen things could be very promising with another quality big

Reply #307028 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Well Referee I never knew a player could trip over the player with the ball and get away with it.

Reply #307029 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Another quality big? How about one...no one wants to rebound defensively.

Reply #307030 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Rebounding is terrible. Foul count 22 to 9. Khazzouh has had 13 fouls called against 36ers players on him personally??!! That's more than has been called against Sydney for the whole match! Not that he's not good and doesn't command attention, but seriously?

Reply #307031 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Apparently quasi a breath of air on Khazzouh is enough to have a foul called on him...But he is allowed to grab, run into, push players, and they should also be called for him.

Reply #307032 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Okay having only watched the last quarter I can effectively say the umpires controlled the outcome of this quarter. I know the rebounds have been bad over the state of the game, but in this quarter I would say they have been alot more even. Getting into foul trouble for blowing on a player when that player has a license to do absolutely anything they want in defence is bloody disgraceful. Some of our attempts to foul them have been smaller fouls than the kings so called defense..perhaps the legend of Gorj lives on..

Ohh and Sydneys deff the gay capital of Australia, sorry but your supporters look like a bunch of idiots on camera.

Reply #307033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done boys. pitty bout the refs think they knew they were shit so they call a stupid foul on sanders to late refs. wat other professional competition has refs who tell u wat to do eg dont hold, no hands seriously i just want to see gd n fair games dont care whos playing

Reply #307034 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Gaze, what are you thinking??
That was Howards fault??
Howard was falling back only because Sanders was flattening him! Of course Howard is going to hold on trying to keep his feet!

Terrible game by sixers. Would have been very ordinary without a string of threes in the third...

Reply #307035 | Report this post

Holy S  
Years ago

Howard can't score in the clutch, Holmes is not even looking at the basket and the sixers are relying on Carter for points down the stretch. WTF is going on

Reply #307036 | Report this post

Brown  
Years ago

Gaze's commentating was laughable, a floater is not a dunk and how the hell was Howard suppose to "sell" being pushed over?

If I ever had to pick out a game that I reckon was fixed it was this one, we couldn't get a foul if Sydney tried deliberately.

Reply #307037 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can't believe it - I'm actually starting to like Sydney. Kazoo is a ref favourite but plays it very well - gets great position. Madgen is tough and worth chasing but that horse may have bolted. Daly was very impressive and did nothing wrong - in fact, almost everything right. Sixers desperately need size in the paint and should spend every last penny to beg Schench to come home.

One last thought to end the game on though - was Mark Dickel really wearing a headband in civvies? Please say it isn't so.

Reply #307038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great game by the kings 36ers hang your head in shame and say how sorry you all are to your fans you bunch of scammers.

Reply #307039 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

26/33 (79%) Free Throws 8/11 (73%)

How to make Sydney win a game and bump crowd numbers for the NBL huh. We had more shots at a higher %, more 3 pointers. This game was soley decided by the umpires.

As for the unsportsman like, Gaze said afterwards a foul before the ball has been passed in is automatically a unsportsman like foul. Good call by the ref then, bad commentary by Gaze for not knowing his rules until they are pointed out to him.

Reply #307040 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

mark Davis aka chairman of the boards can you take training this week and show all players how to box out, defensive ordinary and how about descrepency in foul shots, thank good ness for the two young lads

Reply #307041 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Fortunately missed watching the game so avoided the usual fustrations but looking at the stats make damning reading about the inside problems of the 36ers.

Free Throws: Sydney 33, 36ers 11

Fouls: Sydney 10, 36ers 26

Rebounds: Sydney 43, 36ers 21

Second Chance Points: Sydney 15, 36ers 6

Reply #307042 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

When we are getting smashed that bad in the paint, how is it that Johnson and Dowdell only play 15mins between them?

Reply #307043 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

D@B because Johnson cant defend/rebound for the life of him and we like to put Ballinger out of position so that he gets fouled out at a crucial point maybe?

Reply #307044 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Having them on might take some of the fouls away from Ballinger at least.

Reply #307045 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Surely the NBL has to investigate these statistics. Its absolutely criminal.

Reply #307046 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

D@B sorry I was agreeing with you, my sarcasm didnt make it through lol

Reply #307047 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Haha Yep, see it now :)

Reply #307049 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I really do worry about Howard. When he has the ball on the arc, he almost bounce passes the ball to the D. He seems to lose it a lot.

Reply #307053 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

When we were over 12 down after half time on comes Daly and Creek and we get right back in the game.

Towards the end of the game when things are close, the same 5 which were on after half time get on the floor and we loose the plot.

I agree there were some blatant bad Sydney fouls in the last quarter which were completely ignored by the refs( i.e. one when Daly was bodily banged by Dann in mid air on a shot and another when Carters legs were a taken out on a drive by Dann coming from side on ). Inexcusable. Lots of blatant holding, arm bars in the back etc with all possible calls going to Sydney.

I was very impressed by Daly and Creek. Get Madgen back and you have the nucleus of one of the most talented young squads in Australia moving forward.

Hill and Dowdell got very little court time.

Reply #307054 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I can't watch any more of this refereeing. I can't take it. I can't. It is unbearable.

Reply #307055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dj should have played more to quick 4 kaz n knight get him the ball closer to the basket instead out at the 3 then balls could have made dann look silly. watch the replay closley lads we were in the right spots just got pushed out most of the times if the refs called it early we win. we have a team to work with but need a big body or dj to get a low post game. He played a fair bit of his juniors as a 4/5 cause there was 2 players taller than him on his team so hasn't got the game to play the 5 atm but should b usein his speed against 5 men in this comp.

Reply #307056 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression , early , that offensive rebounds were gonna beat us.

( Daly just about our best. )

Reply #307058 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I agree the foul count was lopsided.
But that was because you had the best C in the League in Khazzou simply dominating the 36ers down low.

The foul count was always going to be like that..Theres no 36er to contain Khazzou..I felt sorry for the likes of Daly, Bruce, Carter etc. who had to be in the paint trying to rebound and keep him off the boards.
The 36ers have a lack of size its simple.

The foul count was like that because the 36ers were allowing Khazzou to catch it in deep. When he catches it that deep against an under-sized team, the team has to foul him to prevent an easy two.
There's links between the foul count and the 36ers lack of size. Stop blaming the refs so much.

On a positive note, Daly was absolutely excellent. He had 12 points and just 1 turnover in 22 mins!

One last point of concern is this:
-The 36ers had 10 players suit up...
6 of those are guards (Howard,Daly, Bruce, Carter, Hill and Creek--yes they were using him on the perimeter tonight still a little small to play the forward spot IMO)
Theres 2 forwards and 2 centers (Holmes and Ballinger;DJ and Dowdell) and one of those centers only played 3 mins.
DJ only played 12 mins...essentially the 36ers were only legitimately 'covering' the Center position for 15 mins for the other 25mins of the game they were hugely undersized and playing out of position. Ballinger and Holmes got dominated by Khazzo, hence why Balls got 5 fouls. Marty, Balls and Holmes are not centers..DJ and Dowdell need to be covering 40mins! Split the mins or give them all to DJ i don't care, its obvious you need size inside.
Also the 36ers played 3 PG's tonight.

The whole balance of the roster and MPG are way out.

Reply #307059 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

What do you know, Adelaide loses and it's only because of the refs again. Nothing changes.

Reply #307062 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Yes BigD we should all bend over and accept a 26 - 10 foul count. We should also allow players to trip others, and not have it called..Dumbass

Reply #307063 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Balls: I hope he keeps showing that aggression and leadership. That softcock tech was just unbelievable, the inconsistency shown when they ignored Gilder's push even moreso.
No one could stop Khazzouh, but of the 4 guys we had defending him, Balls was the most effective.

Holmes: Another inspirational game. If everyone matched his effort and intensity we would've won. Just don't get too confident out there Jake.

Howard: It's funny that the referees obviously have it in for him because he's a flopper (and I am certainly not denying that he is a bad flopper) and yet guys like Ervin and Redhage continually get those calls with equally bad acting and base their games on it. I'd advise him to stop whinging completely and try to get back on their good side, as much as he does have a right to whinge at times.

Brucie: Finally got his shot back. Great all-round offensive game running the team. Pity about his D.

DJ: Now this was interesting. I hope everyone took a look at him standing alongside Julian Khazzouh. They have almost the EXACT same build! I have heard many use his slim frame as an excuse for his pathetic rebounding and defence. Khazzouh is the best rebounder in the league with virtually the same body. DJ is just soft. That's all there is to it, and I pray he can grow some balls at some point in his career because he has the potential to be just as damaging as his Sydney counterpart.

Creek: Fantastic game. Creek is the best defensive player on the roster... and he's 18. He sparked us back into it in the 3rd quarter.

Daly: Wow! Brilliant game. We have an interesting decision to make for our road games once we have Shannon/Bruce/Carter/Daly all fit. He showed a hell of a lot tonight and I can see why Clarke has put so much faith in him lately

Full credit to Sydney, they deserved that win :S
Khazzouh should be MVP and Madgen should be in a 36ers jersey next year. Gilder looks to have a completely different attitude to the one we saw when he first arrived too. There's a lot to like about that team.

Reply #307064 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

BigD, the refs were terrible. Im not denying that.
But the 36ers lack of size inside is really meaning they are getting alot more fouls than what they should

Reply #307065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only dumbass is you Skud if you think the only reason we lost this game was because of the refs.
Hard to believe you actually watched the game!

Reply #307066 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

BigD, does that stand for big dunce. Just look at the stats before you and others like you use the excuse that Adelaide complain about the refs when they lose. If it make any difference, the quality of officiating this season is disgusting and complaints are made whether we win or lose. How the refs can be so inconsistent is beyond me. They individually play to a different set of rules. Most of the 26 fouls tonight were calls on behaviour that go unnoticed in Adelaide. If you call it, call it everywhere and all the time. How can players adjust their game to the refereeing style when they are all different. Its also the only post you have made on this topic. You are a shit stirrer only coming on for your few useless words instead of providing something worthwhile.

Reply #307067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like i said watch the replays we got pushed out cause we r small but a push is a push. 6 or 7 times we were in front a got pushed/bumped out the way. fouls any other game. yes there were a few times when we were out of position n looked really bad. im sick of the refs full stop dont care wat teams r playing there way to inconsistent and its stuffing up the comp.

Reply #307068 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

See, this is why Adelaide has a shocking reputation, all you look at is stats and how bad the refs are. Yes they are bad, but there bad for everyone, so using the excuse there just bad for you doesn't sell. a 26-10 foul count, that doesn't mean the refs were one-sided. Maybe Adelaide played piss-weak defense and weren't being physical, DJ is a softie for example. Don't use a foul count to judge how bad a refs are. There are other factors to look at.

On top of that, are refs human? Yes. Do humans make mistakes? Yes. Do you honestly believe refs are going to get every call correct? It's fans and attitudes like that in Adelaide for example, that make people not want to ref, you won't get refs trying to get better at their job, or even do the NBL at all, because all you do is hate on them, i have never seen on these forums someone congratulate a ref, not once! it is appalling.

Reply #307069 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Amen EC.

*washes hands after typing "Amen EC"*

Reply #307071 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BigD, you're inner referee is showing loud and clear.

Referees are human, humans make mistakes, and the current crop if NBL referees and their management is a bunch of particularly incompetent humans who make an astounding, incomprehensible amount of mistakes.

I think the standard of officiating in the NBA, College and Europe is very, very good. Just to show you I am capable of praising referees. We are not just whinging for the sake of it. These refs deserve all they get, if they can't take it, Lord knows there are guys refereeing district games who could step in and do a better job. The standard of officiating in the NBL over the last 2 years is what is truly appalling here and it depresses me to see how it is holding this league back.

Carey needs to go and he needs to take the majority of his troops with him for NBL officiating to be anything more than a comedy routine.

I agree that a foul count is not a perfect measure of bias, but there is no doubt they favoured Sydney tonight at the end of the day. I'm not claiming they cost us the game, but come on.

Reply #307072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell can Hill shoot 100% (3 out of 3) 1 assist and no turnovers and the coach only has him on for 12 min??

Reply #307073 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BTW,

"i have never seen on these forums someone congratulate a ref, not once! it is appalling."

A few days ago:

"And for someone who gets better treatment from the refs than any other player in the league, Gary Ervin really is turning into a serious whinger. Great job by the refs tonight."

Unfortunately, performances like that one have been few and far between.

Reply #307074 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ever heard of learning from your mistakes? How many times do you have to make mistakes before you are deemed unfit for the job? The refs are way below the standard needed for the NBL. I acknowledge if they are bad they are bad for everyone, hence my comment about complaining regardless of whether we win or lose. At the same time though, I also said that most of the calls against us tonight go unnoticed in Adelaide.

Reply #307075 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Hard to believe you actually watched the game!"

Seriously read before you comment, I even SAID I only saw the last quarter. So I had to base my opinion on that and ASKED others if Khazzouh had the ref's drueling over him the rest of the game.
Ive also said our rebounding looked bad, but in the last quarter it was alot more even..perhaps you couldnt read that part either???
I also stated the stats showing we had more shots than the Kings, so despite loosing the rebounds we werent affected in overall shot attempts and that the ONLY scoring margin the Kings beat us on, were the insane amount of freethrows they had..33 - 11

So please before saying im the Dumbass..use your eye's, what little education you have..and READ my posts

Reply #307081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Horrible job on the boards and it cost us the game. No one was hungry enough.

Daly was great and a few others had their moments, but no one stepped up to carry the team home. Ballinger's game reminded me of his game on the road in Melbourne, complete with the frustration foul.

Reply #307091 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

At the game last night, very impressed with Daly and Creek. Holmes was good all game, but fantastic when he was looking to score. Made some great passes inside too. Refs were bad at some crucial moments, but Sydney still deserved the win. Madgen was awesome , so efficient

Reply #307092 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

Amen EC.

*washes hands after typing "Amen EC"*

+1 good post EC

BigD go back to ref school

Reply #307094 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

sad to say that is the end of our faint playoff dreams IMO.

Positives were that Daly was very impressive for a young guard, had me thinking next year we need to keep him so, cant lose another top SA player, so probably need to put him in the 10, so can we keep Daly, Bruce and Carter? We may need to make a choice between Bruce and Carter, though Carter is great and done nothing wrong I think Bruce has more 'star' potential if he is willing to play at the right price and bring the right attitude id keep Bruce, but if not Carter is also a great player to have.

We also have an exciting young core of players to build on for the next year or 2 and i think most people if we were going to miss the playoffs would rather see it with an exciting young group than a older group with guys like Copeland, Davidson and Wheeler.

So plenty of positives to come out of this season if we can retain our good young Aussies.

If we can get him bring Magden home, good to see a SA player doing well pity its not in a 36ers uniform.

I was glad to see Holmes look to score a little more also, he needs to average around 10pts along with his rebounds and defense to warrant above 10- 15 mins IMO.

Damm we need someone to play some inside defense and get us some rebounds, if we had done that we would have won tonight by 5-10 points, makes me think we need a Import 5/4 or Schenscher and a import 2/3/4 who is athletic plays defense and rebounds next season (in the Donte Smith or Tremmell Darden mould), id be quite happy to run with a all Aussie backcourt. Maybe something like

PG Bruce (5)/Daly (1)
SG Herbert (5)/Carter (or Magden if we can get him, another top SA player) (5)
SF IMPORT (10)/Creek (1)
PF Ballinger (10)/Hill (6) (import and Creek to actually back up PF) and/or Holmes (7)
C IMPORT or Schenscher (10)/Johnson (6) and/or Dowdell(4)

Im not sure on NBL rules but a rough guess of the points cap we could probably sign all 12 of the guys mentioned under 70 points with my roughish estimates in brackets. Given Clarke liking the idea of having squads of 12-15 and players fighting for spots in the 10 week by week if rules allow it id like to see it happen, as that gives us a good young core Aussie talent, with a few SA boys in the mix.

If we were able to bring Schenscher and Magden home it would be great to have more SA talent in 36ers uniform, i think it would only be Forman who is from SA in other uniforms if that were to happen, but i dont think we could offer him the minutes and possibly $$$ he would be getting at the Hawks unless we moved on someone like Johnson who id like to keep given he is 21 or 22 with real potential.

Anyways go Sixers good luck with the rest of the season and the tough road home and with our young talent, guys like Creek, i think we are going to have some exciting times ahead 36ers fans.

Reply #307095 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Simple facts from the game last night. Adelaide's 'D' was horrible. There's no doubt. Their rebounding was worse. They are undersized. They do need a centre on court - desperately. They will give up extra fouls trying to defend opponents who outsize them, it's inevitable with their roster and how they are being played. The refs were still terrible. Granted the 36ers were always going to wear more fouls in that game than Sydney, but they also had fouls by Sydney which weren't called and some that were called on the 36ers were completely inconsistent eg Balls' 'unsportsmanlike' and then Gilder later on. The refs do seem to have players like Khazzouh, Redhage and Ervin that other players can't seem to breathe near. Khazzouh is the best centre in the league, no doubt, but how is it possible for him to have 13 fouls called on opponents vs him personally and only 10 called on the whole Sydney team for the match? Ridiculous.

Reply #307096 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Oh please the refs were no worse than usual. 6ers are too short have been all year, decided to play small ball and this is the result. I've been preaching how idiotic it is that we didn't sign a legit centre all year. Luke Schenscher anyone!? Keep going on about him being a '10' he's better than any import we've had all season! It hard to watch our guards try the hardest and hustle so much just to out done by genuine height. Kaz killed us Neville killed us crosswhite hurts us, but it was important to mould our team on perths right...

Reply #307098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost to an abl team. Oh well. Bring on next season.

Reply #307099 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

after last night we might have to get paul rees out of retirement, I know very little about basketball but Hill has to be voted the worse defender in the league we should sub him to play offensive end and take him off defensive end. Every play last night got lost one on one and in the rotations he lets us down every time. Is he like marino gets to start because of family connections.

Reply #307100 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah i too would love to see madgen come home, not sure if it will happen though? it seems to have been his breakout year and may want to stay with sydney but ive thought ive heard alot of people want the sydney coach gone so maybe that will help us land madgen?

in my opinion

pg daly/carter ( i rate carter more stable week in week out then bruce)

sg madgen/ herbert

sf creek/ import(someone who can play sg or sf spot)

pf balls / ?

c schensh or import / johnson

you wouldnt make the gf next year with that line up (unless imports really light up) but it would be very solid, not alot of weaknesses and if you keep them together for the year after or 2 would really be very good.

Reply #307102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh captain, my captain...

Reply #307103 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Our best chance of getting Madgen is to offer him a starting position. He is a starter with Sydney and wont come home to a bench position. As young as he is, he has made an incredible amount of progress in just a few short years and is a deserving starter on any team.

Reply #307104 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Clarke - ' Just knock it away from them, hit it into the stands, anything , rather than letting them keep getting them. '
But we didn't.

Reply #307105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did we sign DJ again? he is pretty poor player and doesnt finish with any authority, wouldnt they be telling him to utilise the ONE thing he can do and dunk at all costs...his layups and floaters are weak efforts. He took a fair chunk of money we couldve spent elsewhere from all accounts.

Reply #307108 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't understand people saying we were undersized last night when we probably have a taller line up then Sydney.

Sanders 6'6, Dann 6'7, Knight 6'7, Gilder 6'8, Khazzouh 6'10
Creek 6'6, Hill 6'6, Holmes 6'7, Ballinger 6'8, Dowdell 6'8, Johnson 7

Janev 6'9 but didn't play

Reply #307111 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

KingJames, that's interesting. Khazzouh and Dann seemed to be rebounding easily, early.
Later Gilder and Sanders joined in getting offensive rebounds and hitting it back out to the PG for another go at offense. Easy.

Reply #307112 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not so much that we are undersized, mainly just that we lack an inside banger.

Ballinger is a finesse player, DJ a guard in a centre's body (or thinks he is), Holmes a scrapper. Dowdell after starting the season well barely plays.

The team does not necessarily need a true centre, but it definitely needs a Boucher, Vukona, Davidson, Petrie, Worthington, M Knight or Khazzouh type banger. Rees ten years ago would be perfect.

That, and we need to toughen the #%$* up and learn how to box out.

Reply #307114 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Camel 31, I was just pointing out it was more of an effort thing rather then height. Sydney just wanted it more.

Reply #307115 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

4 things were worth watching in this game.
Khazzouh, Madgen, Daly and the Kings Girls.

As usual, when the opposition has a dominant big, we get destroyed.
Madgen has become a real player since he was moved to the starting role. Made some tough shots and was big when he was needed.
Huge game by Daly. Looked just about our most poised and confident player out there. Should have been on when the game was there to be won.
Kings Girls are well worth the price of admission alone. I can see why the Kings keep filling a crowd when they consistantly lose games.

Reply #307130 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

dann is 6'8. if knight is 6'7 then im 4'1. zoo is a proper centre, where dj is an athletic tall who needs to learn to use his size more. also we played most of the game with 6'8 balls at centre and 6'7 holmes?

there most often on court players would have been zoo, dann, gilder, sanders madgen and martin.

ours balls, holmes, hell im not even sure but probably carter, daly creek bruce howard??

Reply #307131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney were much taller and longer

Khazzouh 211 v Ballinger 205
Dann 204 v Holmes 198
Gilder 205 and Sanders 196 v Hill 198 and Creek 195

Reply #307132 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Dowdell after starting the season well barely plays"

Anyone know why this is, he really was playing well but gets bugger all minutes now days!

Reply #307138 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Think it pretty well has coincided with Holmes improving a lot and Johnson getting more minutes.
Early on it was Johnson that wasn't getting minutes while Dowdell was in good form, now it's the other way around.
Holmes and Ballinger are just too important to our structure at this point in time to afford having them sitting while Johnson and Dowdell get their fair share.

Reply #307143 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Hendo8888, we have a strcuture?! ;)

Reply #307174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does anyone think sixers could recruit madgen when they didnt even have decency to talk to him last year, sixers are where they are because of their poor recruiting, Johnson and dowdell will never cut it and hill's suspect defence is well documented as far back as U16's

Reply #307175 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Not sure about Hill etc, but agree with the recruit stuff, DJ is a BUST, developing players are for the AIS. Madgen was training with the 6ers last year wasnt he? Crazy to allow him to leave Adelaide and drop 25 on us, this guy is going to be a solid player for years to come and seems like a decent guy too. Throw some dough at him, should get him to come home, unless he is living the social dream in Sydney then its goodnight nurse for that idea. From a fans point of view we can only hope he is home sick i guess.

Also this loss shows more so how against the ropes Perth are right now, than how good the 6ers wins were. Adelaide just arent that good this year.

Reply #307179 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agreed Fizzle, Madgen is one of the first guys the Sixers should be chasing hard in the off season. He's impressed me from the first game I saw him play at the start of this season. Amazing the local players we keep letting slip through our fingers... Newley, Ingles, Schenscher, Madgen.

Another guy I reckon has good potential is Webster. He's starved for court time down in NZ behind Penney and would be a nice consolation prize if we couldn't entice Madgen back. Pretty sure Mystro wouldn't be too happy about that though? ;-)

Reply #307185 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

EC said: "Our best chance of getting Madgen is to offer him a starting position. He is a starter with Sydney and wont come home to a bench position."

That's exactly what we should offer him. Which SG on the Sixers would you even think of starting over him?

Reply #307186 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

FWIW:

M.Knight(or other Aussie C)/D.Johnson
A.Ballinger/M.Knight
Gabe Freeman-type import/M.Creek
B.Madgen/N.Herbert/B.Hill
E.Shannon/R.Carter

I'd take Madgen, Ng, Herbert, Creek, Hill, Bruce, Carter all over Corey Webster. Easily.

Reply #307190 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Beantown, its great to think that we should not have let players like Madgen and Schenscher slip through our fingers but neither were as good then as they are now. Same goes with Forman. I just think its the coaches that we have had could not get the best out of them. I would love to get all 3 back but the 36ers have not made them the players they are today. They may want to stay put knowing their opportunities are better where they are.

Reply #307208 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

We.

Utterly.

Suck.

/thread.

Reply #307251 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

/restart thread.

X, I'm surprised you don't think much of Webster. I've seen him put in some really nice cameos when he has got the chance. IMO he shoots it better than everyone on that list you just gave other than Madgen and Ng and I think he is right there with both of them. He also seems better at creating separation to get his shot off than Ng and perhaps Madgen too (who I think will rely more on good screens). I think he could be a gun scorer if he gets the chance somewhere.

Reply #307253 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Seems like 'the same old, same old' on so many fronts.

I guess the most displeasing thing was someone from the club coming out (and I forget who it was) saying cos we won away, now it will be easier to win away as the confidence comes back. What confidence? We lost to the basement bunnies!!!

Reffing....well i give up. All i can say is its pleasing to go to gym, see Benn McDonald doing strength training and have small pot shots at him over his calls...but then again he probably wasnt reffing last weekend so thats it for me on that subject.

On a subject of defense and offence, look at the Breakers, they play hard ball, in your face on defense and agressive on moving the ball and driving to the basket in offence. Yet we move th ball around only in the back-court. Hello?

I think Marty Clarke has shown has players who can play, however.... they seemingly only stand up when it suits and that isnt a team that will win an NBL crown sadly.

I guess this week against GC is the be all...end all of games. Win, and maybe a chance. Lose, and the season is over with only 3 home games left and the rest away. And consider this, if we couldnt beat Melbourne at home in either game, we would we be a contending chance to beat them this year? Pride maybe!

Reply #307256 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sixers lost the game on Offensive boards.

Can't shoot that well in a game and lose it. Biggest vulnerability was shown in that game: rebounding.

Training for the next 5 days needs to be all about the rebounding and box outs.

Reply #307260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bean, I wouldn't sign Webster.

Marty, there were times when Howard didn't even jump for the rebound.

I know Martin and Madgen aren't big for their positions, but none of our guards through to SF are going to win a rebounding battle - Hill is more of an agile/lightweight SF, Daly, Creek, etc are not big. Gilder is tall and Sanders has good reach. The only time a 36er looked like they were fighting for a rebound was that passage towards the end when Holmes got 2-3 offensive boards in a row.

Reply #307263 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Re: Webster
He doesn't get much court time but I wouldn't think he would have any complaints. He is lucky to have a roster spot after he tested positive for Marijuana.
The Breakers Academy has made him into the player he is and I would expect him to be loyal to the club for his chances. The only club that prob has a chance luring any of our players away would be Gold Coast (it's a New Zealand Colony).

Reply #307277 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Not really much has been said about it in this thread, but Howard showed once and for all that he has no place in this team or this league against Sydney.

I would prefer an injured Troy DeVries to Howard any day.

Reply #307279 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

In fact, I would take either of Sydney's imports over Howard, and they haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Reply #307280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sanders maybe but I don't really like Gilder.

To be successful, we have needed Howard to take control of games but he hasn't. I thought he'd be much better.

Reply #307282 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Well he has to perform in the remaining games otherwise it will be hard to get a gig for the rest of the year.

Reply #307288 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think injuries may have kept Howard here
Carter Bruce Ng
Daly gave us more this game.

It may have also been that Clarke was thinking about developing Johnson and Harris into Centres in a few years.

Reply #307289 | Report this post

structure?  
Years ago

ok so if you look at our team on paper it looks as though for all but jacob holmes that our best offense should be a fast paced / fast break / early open shot / pick and roll team.. some where along the lines of the d'antoni nba offenses..
looking at games this season we are trying to play a very structured offensive brand with out the quickness or flare that the actual players in the team have to offer..always the slow half court offense.
our defense/ rebounding are quite obviously our worst qualities so why not make the games high scoring rather then get into a half court slug out? we might actually get a few offensive boards if the big guys from the other teams are slow down the court.. balls should get more open shots (which is priority number 1 IMO).. and we will utilise the quickness of hill, creek and johnson..

Reply #307290 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Structure?,

As a team we are ok in the open court. But you can't run a fast-break style offence if you keep taking the ball out of the bottom of the hoop. Getting stops and turnovers is what the Mee/Brooks Sixers were so good at doing.

But if Howard was the creative make your own shot kind of guy he was made out to be, he should also be able to do that in a structured offence.

It is fine to say that you will play an open free-flowing game when you can get the ball back up the court quickly, but with the inexperienced young players we have, we need a structured half-court game the rest of the time.

Reply #307297 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mystro, I'd forgotten about Webster's dope incident (whatever that was) but setting that aside, what do you think of his on-court ability? Also, what chance do you think he has of getting serious court time in NZ in the next 3 years unless Penney leaves?

Reply #307343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Henare retires at the end of this year and who knows how long Bruton will be there for. Webster signed a multi year deal and is in Breakers plans provided he doesnt play up again.

Reply #307350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, Schenschers' rookie year was better than his current year, so once again who knows what the hell your talking about?
He was 2nd team all-star 5 (should have been 1st team except for Ansteys rep in my opinion) and averaged approx 17 and 11 from memory!

Reply #307355 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Paul pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Webster is capable of lighting the scoreboard up although sometimes he tries to do to much to create his shot and forces it but he will mature. Dillon Boucher prob won't be far off retiring also, giving BJ Anthony a shot and Vukona and Abercrombie more court time in the rotation.
BJ Anthony has potential that I believe the Breakers Academy will get him to realize.
I would expect Braswell and Wilkinson to be offered contracts next season based on their chemistry in the team and performances so far this season.

Reply #307373 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Xztatik

You want to get rid of Carey because the referees have been pathetic for 2 years???? You do know he only took the job on in October 2010 dont you? You do know he has been out of basketball refereeing for a few years now so he will take a little bit of time to work out how things are done now, (3 man, areas of responsibility, etc etc)

He has been in the job 4 months and from my limited knowledge he has a 2 year deal. I think you probably need to give him a little bit more time to get his head around the role and then impliment any changes he sees fit. The rumour is the panel will be significantly reduced next season from the 36 this year to somewhere in the vicinity of 18. Change doesnt just happen it takes time and there is no point making change just for changes sake.

Reply #307400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754