Isaac
Years ago

WNBL Fire needs community help to stay viable

This from BA:

BASKETBALL AUSTRALIA URGES TOWNSVILLE TO REIGNITE THE FIRE

Following the announcement that the Townsville Fire Basketball Club is seeking community assistance in their bid to remain financially stable beyond the 2010/11 Women's National Basketball League season, Basketball Australia has extended its support for the club, in their search for further community involvement.

Basketball Australia understands the pressures, both financial and administrative, in running a professional sporting club and stressed the importance of ensuring that the Townsville Fire continues to play at the top-level of the sport, not only for the strength of the WNBL, but also for the strength of the wider sporting landscape in the region.

"Being the only elite women’s sporting program in Queensland outside of the South-Eastern region, the Townsville Fire provides a very important piece not only to the basketball pathway, but to the wider sporting pathway in the region as well,"’ said Basketball Australia CEO Larry Sengstock.

“It provides an elite level to which young players can aspire to compete, and thus it’s critical that the club not only continues to be a player within the Women’s National Basketball League, but one that also grows in strength into the future as well.”

Basketball Australia is currently in the process of reviewing the Women’s National Basketball League, a process that commenced in December and is expected to conclude in April this year.
On the agenda is a review of the structure of the competition as well as the structure of the clubs, with the hope that some initiatives can be developed to ensure the financial security of the competing teams.

“The Townsville Fire has been a strong figure within the WNBL for ten years, and we understand that there is a great deal of work being done on and off the court within the organisation to ensure the Fire remain a success.
“We are committed to seeing the program continue on this path well into the future, and urge the Townsville community to play their part in ensuring that this happens,” said Sengstock.

Topic #24875 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia could support the WNBL clubs by actually doing something to cut their costs.

BA is so focused on the NBL right now they simply force WNBL to pay for more and more 'costs'.

BA is the problem not Townsville Fire or the Townsville community.

Reply #306651 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hmm.... there's a statement with a lot of facts. Well said Anon.

Reply #306660 | Report this post

////////  
Years ago

should we see a temporary shortening of the season to ease costs?

Reply #306675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We can lessen costs by making BA accountable.

BA needs to show the WNBL clubs where there money is actually going. Considering they still don't have a Season 2010/11 Operations Manual it certainly isn't being spent on sturcturing the WNBL correctly.

Make sure none of the WNBL money goes to an already Government funded opals program. Or that Government or BA money doesn't go to some certain clubs to retain Opals players in Australia.

BA could actually employ WNBL staff with experience and knowledge on how to run competitions, not just how to try and run basketball in NSW.

How about WNBL sell their product. It's women's sport. Government's across this country are begging to spend money on women's sport. Right now only Netball is offering a stable and strong product worth supporting.

Like I said BA is the issue not Townsville.

Reply #306679 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

next will be Lighting

Reply #306699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And it's not a professional sporting club. Please....

Reply #306701 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, your statements are bordering on hysterical. A lot of allegations with little substance.

Let me follow your logic. Because (allegedly) the WNBL have not released an operations manual they MUST be using the clubs money for things other than the WNBL??????

I have often defended BA here because I think they are hamstrung my small minded attitudes and because I was made aware a number of years ago just how little money that actually take out of the sport. (I've said here before roughly $3-$4 per participant whereas some sports take 4-5 times that amount). I am more critical these days because I do not think that Larry bringing in his mates (Carroll, Brown etc.) has been good for the image or performance of the organisation.

However, everything I know about the WNBL says that at club level it is an extraordinary difficult proposition to be financially sustainable - more difficult than a seabl program due to the costs of airfares equalisation and subsequent travel commitments. While Dandenong can rely on a huge player base and Sydney on a University to fund their programs, organisations like Townsville (Logan) must raise an even greater proportion of their revenue through sponsorship - in Townsville, with basketball on the wane, and the advent of the Cowboys and the Fury, that must be very difficult.

Tell me something. Do you actually know whether the WNBL clubs subsidise BA? Or do BA actually subsidise the running of the league? I have heard it is the latter.

Perhaps you can break down what it costs to run a WNBL club - tell us the numbers and how much they each give BA and what that actually means - rather than just tell us BA should be subsidizing the league.

Reply #306763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO You're defending the WNBL in this circumstance without any substance on which to defend them.

You're saying I can't have a go at them because you know how little they take in player registrations? Give me a break.

I think any WNBL club or owner who is in to make money has rocks in their heads. I just do not see how that is possible and while BA is partly responsible for that fact, they're only partly responsible.

The bigger issue is the profile of women's basketball in Australia and the costs associated with running a semi-professional sport in a country the size of Australia and with our population.

I get all that.

BA is NOT subsidizing the WNBL. The clubs are paying the costs of running the League and from my figures are paying too much for what they and the public get in return.

The Ops Manual was one example I used. It's an example of the laziness in the BA office when it comes to WNBL matters. The constant draw issues another. The lack of Merchandise at clubs until half way into the season another. The lack of training uniforms another. The lack of game uniforms until the week before the first game another.

The WNBL is run by two people. Both of whom have other responsibilities within BA as well. How are the clubs getting any value for the tens of thousands of dollars they have to give the League when BA can't even give the League its own office/staff?

How about the fact BA supplimented the salaries of 4 Opals last season to ensure they played in the WNBL?

It is the job of the WNBL to promote the League and the game. How's that going?

And none of this takes into account how the NBL and State Associations run BA without any acknowledgement of the WNBL and the WNBL clubs role in basketball in this Country. Why don't the WNBL clubs have a share of the new structure? Why don't they have a seat at the board table? If BA is doing all it can for the WNBL and showing its members the respect they deserve where's their seat at the BA ownership table? No, BA knows best and BA will decide everything on behalf of the WNBL clubs. Give me a break!

I understand that basketball is in a tough place still. And will be for a long time. But does that mean we should all accept piss poor service? That "we're doing the best we can" should be an acceptable excuse? IMO it is not. Maybe it is for you.

Reply #306781 | Report this post

charon 92  
Years ago

I believe that each club pays BA $75K +.

And that each team pays their own airfares, accomodation and game night costs.

Not sure what BA provides other than Refs.

IS someone abel to let us know what.

Reply #306783 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Actually Anon, if you would like to very slowly and very carefully read my post again you would note that I did not defend the WNBL. I asked for more information from you, I asked for you to provide detail about which way subsidy went. I asked you to qualify your statements.

And no, if you would like to very slowly and carefully read what I wrote again you would note that I did not say the player registrations revenue had anything to do with you having a go at them. I said it was one of the things I knew about BA which gave me cause to defend them - it was an example of why they are, on the whole, an under funded and under resourced organisation in my view and have long been.

In your previous post you simply attacked - their staff are apparently not capable of running the WNBL because they have a NSW link etc etc.

Charon92 has posted that the WNBL takes 75k from each club (lets assume this is accurate as a number). However I understand the set fee does include airfares equalisation and all referees costs so I would imagine that does eat up a fair part of the 75k contribution from each club.

How do you expect the WNBL to run the league (administratively/operationally) AND as you demand, market it and promote it with the remainder of the cash they get from the clubs?

How much do you think anything but a brilliant viral campaign (and development of brilliant viral campaigns can cost money) would cost to deliver the marketing and promotion the WNBL needs. 400k-500k?

The A-league cannot afford to promote its league anymore and crowds are going down at a rapid rate and I am sure they generate significantly more disposable revenue than the WNBL does.

Would it be reasonable for the clubs to contribute an extra 10-15 k per year so the league can afford the dedicated full time staff you say the league needs?

One thing rings true for me in what you have said. they are understaffed if they only have two staff - no wonder stuff does not get done. (there, right there, I was defending the WNBL based on what you told me - read it slowly and carefully.....)

Reply #306817 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754