West Reserves-
Manu Ginobili
Deron Williams
Russell Westbrook
Tim Duncan
Blake Griffin
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol

Yao Ming's replacement is yet to be announced, though it is likely to be either Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge or Zach Randolph. My pick would be Aldridge, leading a injury plagued Portland side to a likely playoff birth in the tough West.

Topic #24888 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Kevin Love is pretty stiff to miss out, he has been putting up huge numbers. Too bad his team sucks.

Reply #306953 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

How Ginobili who I love as a player got in OVER Monta Ellis is beyond me! His team has a better record, but for All Star purposes, and pure stat line, Ellis a scoring MACHINE! Great to see Griffin make it, this will be the only AS game he comes off bench for, lock for next 8-10 as starter IMO

Reply #306954 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Ellis is an interesting one, I definately think he deserves to be in the conversation but I think Ginobili has been at least as good as him and the far superior record puts him over the top.

Reply #306956 | Report this post

Dazzler  
Years ago

I thought the concept of the All Star game was East vs West, not Boston vs West. I know they are playing well but FOUR? Really?

Reply #306961 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I agree Dazzler..Garnett should not be there. Averaging 15 and 8 this year, which isn't anything special.
He only ever gets included because he is a veteran who has been around for 15 years.

Heres some guys who should/could have easily made it over Garnett:

Brook Lopez: 19ppg and 5rpg
Luol Deng: 17ppg and 6rpg for a very good Chicago team
Andrew Bogut: 13ppg and 11rpg
Gerald Wallace: 15 and 8 for Bobcats

Garnett made it because of his name and not so much the way he has been playing this year.
NB: He also missed alot of games (a month or more?) i believe because of a calf injury. Should not have made it..

Reply #306965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think Brook "i can't get a rebound" Lopez should be over Garnett?

Reply #306971 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I would've liked to see Josh Smith in over KG and also Love in for Duncan. This is not an All NBA First or Second Team this is an annual showcase. Guys like Smith who still do deserve to play in the game would add a little more WOW to game I reckon. Especially since little defense is played.

Reply #306988 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

i agree with AK-47, an yeah as a pure excitment all star game type id take Ellis over Ginobli

Reply #307007 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon, Can you not read. I believe I said that he should be in for Garnett in my original post

Reply #307010 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

C'mon guys, Ginobli has been the best player on the best team this year - he definitely deserves it.

So does KG IMO - most important player to the best team in the East.

Interesting side note about Lopez to support anon #971. He had 34 double doubles last year. This year so far: 1

Reply #307060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? Lopez instead of Garnett!!!!! Lopez can't grab a rebound to save his life, he is on one of the worst teams in the league, and you would take him over garnett? The anchor to one of the leagues best defences, averaging solid numbers, the coaches put him in there, so they obviously think he's more worthy of an all-star then freaking Lopez. And Bogut, Deng and Wallace are no where close to Garnett's level even this season.

Reply #307061 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Did not see this post on the main page as I was looking at the NBA page, so posted a massive one rehashing all this ha ha.
Any thoughts that the west is fairly old except for the starters (minus Kobe) and Westbrook, Griffin and Williams amongst the reserves. Can't imagine any of the old guys want to play too much so that could def open up a lot of minutes for the young guns. I think Griffin could go for MVP as they are missing big guys, he could play a lot and throwing down some early ally's could pump his team up. Any thoughts?

Reply #307076 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

re: Manu over Ellis, best player on best team, he was always going to make it. Ellis puts up great numbers, but on a losing team and yeah he gets steals but he does not play much actual D. I think the coaches got it basically right, except for Duncan. Z bo or Aldridge should have been there for him, and I think Aldridge will get the replacement for Yao with Gasol sliding into the starting C spot

Reply #307077 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

As far as the replacement pick goes Stern doesn't normally pick a first timer as a replacement. To me this seems fair as a player really should get picked by the fans or coaches for their first gig not just one guy. This would count Love and Aldridge out so he may have to go with Nash or Parker. My money would be on Nash (better public image)

Reply #307083 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Manu should definitely be IN. Best player on the best team this season to date.

Bogut is one of those unlucky ones, but is probably more due to his lack of scoring output this season due in part o his injury sustained last season.

Reply #307090 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Bogut is unfortunate because he's head to head with Al Horforf (and will be for a while). Horford definitely deserves the spot this year, but not last. The count is now 2-0 to 1-1, which isn't just.

Reply #307093 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

It was just announced that Kevin Love is Yao Ming's replacement in the All-Star game. It is yet to be determined who will start in Yao's place. But either Blake Griffin or Pau Gasol are tipped.

Reply #307106 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anyone watching todays NBA game would see why KG shouldn't have made the ASG.

Got a hard foul by Barea(a fair foul to stop the easy two) and he reacts by slapping Barea and then pushing a ref.

Real classy KG, Real classy.

Reply #307124 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Who is worthy to replace Garnett? i don't see anybody, therefore he should be in the game.

Reply #307126 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

LaMarcus Aldridge should be an all star ahead of duncan

Reply #307144 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Pop gets to decide who starts. Surely it has to be Dirk?

Reply #307171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754