anon#9
Years ago

MVP??

The Most Valuable Player of the 2009/10 season was Corey "Homicide" Williams but with Williams probably out of contention for the award this year, who are the favourites??

To me there are there are 5 players who are in the running to win the Andrew Gaze trophy this year. These players would be Kirk Penney (NZL), Gary Ervin (WOL), Mark Worthington (GCB), Julian Khazzouh (SYD) and Adam Ballinger (ADL).

Kirk Penney after missing the first six games through trialing and hoping to be offered and NBA contract has returned this season with outstanding numbers averaging 19ppg 3.8rpg 2.2apg and shooting the ball at an impressive 40.7% from the field while leading the Breakers to a league-leading 15-3 record.With these numbers and also being an integral part of a table topping side he has to be favourite for the award.

Gary Ervin started the season with a burst, leading the Wollongong Hawks to the top of the ladder and averaging well over 20ppg (#1 in the NBL. However after injuring himself and the Hawks experiencing a shortened lineup due to injuries to other major players such as Glen Saville, Ervins form has dropped off ever slightly. Although the Hawks point guard still has outstanding numbers of 21.9ppg 3.3rpg 4.3apg and with a FG percentage of 43.4% the American will definately one of the top vote getters.

After returning home to Australia after one season with German ball club Brose Baskets Bamberg and signing with the Blaze, the combo-forward is having one of his best seasons as the veteran and star of the Gold Coast team. The 2008-09 NBL Champion has averages of 16.9ppg 7.1rpg 1.6apg and shooting the ball at 45.3% the former graduate from Metro State is surely among the competitions elite.

Julian Khazzouh, although experiencing a haunting NBL season with the Sydney Spirit a couple of years ago the big man returned the anchor the return of the Sydney Kings this season. The 6'10" centre has had an outstanding season so far as probably the only good thing to come out of the King's first season back. Averaging career best stats of 16.8ppg 10.2rpg 1.9apg and shooting at a prominent 52.2% this King has announced himself as one of the best players in Australia.

The Ginger Ninja from Adelaide, Adam Ballinger has continued his improvement in Adelaide after leaving the Hawks many years ago. Although Ballinger has never won the MVP award he has been in the conversation over the last few years and will surely be there again with the 36ers on a current win streak and aiming to scratch into the playoffs. The big red head has averaged consistent numbers of 15.5ppg 6.1rpg 0.7apg and shooting at a career high of 55.8%. Although the lowest numbers of the other four candidates Ballinger is an all round team man who exerts passion and intensity in one of the best basketball environments at the Dome and should definately be there abouts in the MVP talks.

Others thoughts??

Topic #24889 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

It comes down to 3 players for me, Ervin, Khazzouh & Penney. All 3 have been superb. I would like to see the big fella take out the award but i'm leaning toward the flashy Ervin to take the honours, Penney missed to many at the start of the season but shouldn't be too far off.

Reply #306992 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

anon#9 I wouldn't be ruling out Homicide.

He and Penney have played the same amount of games and if anything Homicides stat line is better, other than the turnovers of course.

Homicide - 16.8pts, 7.2rbs 5.4asts, 6.1 T/O
Penney - 19pts, 3.8rbs, 2.2asts, 2.2 T/O

The Breakers winning record is of course in Penney's favour but he will have a lot of team mates taking votes from him in games. I think the way that the voting system works suits Khazzouh, Homicide and even Ubakas chances.

On current form I think that Khazzouh will win it, with Ervin as the runner up.

Reply #307000 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Tom Daly!

Reply #307003 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

would love to see Khazzouh win it

Reply #307005 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Ian Crosswhite is a serious smoky.

Lol at Homicide being a chance.

I'm thinking Ervin but hoping Khazzouh.

Reply #307006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for your input buts.

Reply #307008 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

16.8 ppg on the bottom side doesn't do it for me.

Reply #307009 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

Ervin by a mile,kazzouh,and ballinger not far,like to see balls win MVP,But has had up and down season,however if he performs well in second part of year could earn votes.

Reply #307011 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Earvin should win it, Penney will win it, Kaz will be around the mark...distance will be solid from that group to the rest.

Reply #307018 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Comes down to consistency. The voting system by coaches rewards players who regularly poll votes. The big kazoo has been terrific in all but one game. Ervin has gone a bit stale of late. It's those too by a street but for mine, the big kazoo gets the gig. A true - and humble - star in the making.

Reply #307019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Award it to no-one. None of them are really MVP's that change the game, get their teams to win and make the difference. No stand out players in the NBL this year.

Reply #307022 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So Kirk penney's 4th quarter scoring blitz's don't change games lol?
Ervins form has dropped of late but still shooting the ball well.

Reply #307024 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

If only its was based on output vs minutes played. Balls would be up there...

Although a playoff team player will always win, and rightly so.

Reply #307116 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Ubaka , if he finishes strong has a chance. Danial Dillon is most improved & the find of the century.

Reply #307135 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Thought this was about NBA...damn.

Reply #307254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Ater Majok should be seriously considered.

Reply #307267 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Lol Anon

Reply #307274 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

My problem with Kazoo is his terrible defence for a big guy. Only seen a couple of games but couldnt guard anyone and dont even think about helping out.

Reply #307623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754