your mumma
Years ago

Ballinger and Ewing Theory

firstly this is Ewing Theory

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711

I am starting to feel as though this fits Ballinger as well. Maybe it fits Ballinger and Holmes. Are their short comings as players so big that they out weigh their upsides. Ballinger is poor on D and cant create his own shot , Holmes is unatheletic and has an inconsistent shot. Both are great workhorses and the areas that they are good at they excel in.

Topic #24900 | Report this topic

Coopz  
Years ago

Firstly let me start by saying i dont totally disagree with your theory on this. BUT...

OUCH, Balls poor on D. I think this season has seen his biggest improvement on D, and lets not forget that marty is playing him out of his preferred position most of the time, and he is defending much taller bodies.

He is tied for the most blocks in the league this season with 36 so far (Khazzouh also with 36)

Not to mention he is the second highest rebounder for the sixers...

Agreed though that he struggles to create his own shot, BUT when he is hit at the right time, he will drill it every time. Regardless of whether he creates it or not, he is still shooting 55% from the field which is higher than anyone in the league shooting averaging 15,3pts or more per game.

Reply #307147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Ewing Theory specifically fits Holmes - he doesn't get much media hype and there wouldn't be a huge outcry if he wasn't retained. Last off-season there were a few not interested in him being re-signed.

As for Ballinger, he is a fan favourite so it could well hold true but it's not the easiest thing to test on a long enough timeframe. +/- is a short term measure. A game or two out injured - hasn't happened this season. +/- over the season might be the best bet for this year?

I said it in another thread recently, but he had his most successful NBL season(s) when surrounded by defensive players/natural leaders (Mat Campbell, Glen Saville, Mike Kelly, etc). Every player is going to have their deficiencies so teams need to work to find complementary players.

Coopz, Ewing had his assets too. That's a key to the theory - that a player is strong enough that their weaknesses aren't always noticed. Ewing was drafted first, is in the Hall of Fame, averaged 21 and 10 over his career, etc.

Reply #307153 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Isaac, i will admit, i have not read the theory, therefore i am not disputing whether the theory is accurate. In fact it may well be, if the tehory is what i think it is.

I was just shocked at the balls' D comment, as i thought his D has been great this year, in comparison to others seasons, especially with the constant size mismatches he faces playing the %.

Reply #307157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not really a groundbreaking theory, it just basically points out the obvious that some players can be the stars on a successful team, while others are very good players but not good enough to be the star on a top team, but would make very good second best players on a team.

The Ewing theory has obviously been proved correct with all the success New York has had since he retired!!! Adelaide take note.

Reply #307159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't read the theory and not really interested in it.

Personally I would hope the 36ers re-sign Ballinger next season as he's the only player on our roster worth a damn and make sure they sign Schenscher. I don't want to hear the excuses to justify not doing it and serving up crap like DJ (I said in the offseason he would be this season's Cortez Groves decision).

Balls is a star (with flaws which every NBL level player has) and he's been used poorly this season being played out position at the 5 because we don't have any big men (DJ is a 7 foot SF). Give the guy Schenscher again as both put up big numbers together and build around those two.

Enough with the cheap rubbish imports. I don't care if we have to run with an all-aussie team next season but Balls & Schenscher have to be the first two guys signed. I'd be interested in re-signing Carter, Ng, Herbert, Holmes and possibly Creek. If Shannon is cheap enough I'd consider re-signing him to run the team as he's competent without being spectacular.

Reply #307163 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"it just basically points out the obvious that some players can be the stars on a successful team, while others are very good players but not good enough to be the star on a top team, but would make very good second best players on a team."

Huh? The theory isn't about that at all. It's about when a star player goes down injured and his team is written off by everyone as if they will nosedive, but in actual fact, the team plays better because of the unhealthy reliance on that star player. Addition by subtraction.

I guess the OP means that despite Balls being a top ten player in the league, would the Sixers be better off without him? I say no, as they don't utilise Ballinger enough.

Reply #307173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would quite happily have Ewing, with all his shortcomings, play at the 36ers.

Reply #307199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, Ballinger is a bad defender. Khazzouh abused him, so has Nevill. He's an OK player. That's all. You guys build him up to be something he's not.

Reply #307202 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon307202.......as a Basketball purist and a 36ers fan I would expect players in the ilk of Khazzouh and Nevill to abuse Balls!

What you appear to be forgetting is that he is playing out of his favoured PF position and giving up size.

If I were a Tigers or Kings fan and Nevill and Khazzouh didnt take advantage of the mismatch I would be a very disappointed fan!

I commend Ballinger for his defensive efforts this year, he has definitely improved in that area and whilst he is going to get abused on occassion, it is expected.

Khazzouh has also made light work of most of the players he has matched up on, even Nevill.

Reply #307207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watch ballinger on defence for a game and see how much he loses his man. blocks are only part of defence. how many does boucher get? after next year i would offer ballinger less because you cant afford to keep spending top dollar on a player that isnt quite good enough to lead the team to WINS.

Reply #307209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not improving either....All downhill from here.

Reply #307236 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most players abused Nevill, he was one of the worst defenders in the league. Look how much more intense Melbourne's defence was last night.

Ballinger is a keeper, he just needs to be surrounded by a better defensive frontcourt. Schenscher definitely isnt the answer, you cant have two immobile guys next to each other.

Reply #307261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, if the Sixers do get rid of Ballinger then I think bringing in Schenscher would be a very good move but, just as with Balls, he would need a good athlete alongside him in the PF spot.

Reply #307269 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Im pretty sure if Ball's is at the 4 or 5 who ever he is guarding will have a good night,thats why we were nervous when Worthington was coming to town, he plays his best Basketball at the Dome was the comments. Lets think who would of been guarding him the last few years? i wonder? Ill give you a hint it starts with a B. Balls is a good player but not a great Player.

Reply #307304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754