Anonymous
Years ago

All-Star Slam Dunk Contest 2011

Who is your favorite? Actually no one expects anyone other than the odds on favorite to win it, Blake Griffin. In my opinion he has a unique combination of fury, explosion and power.

Topic #24914 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Griffin dunks ala Shawn Kemp.

He's a big man that can pull off Little man style dunks without looking awkward about it.

I only really see a DeRozan v Griffin final w/ Serge Ibaka in 3rd.

Reply #307417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kemp was a much better dunker than Griffin. If you don't remember it or haven't seen it check out this dunk he did in the '91 dunk comp. Most athletic big man of all-time.

At 2:20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxYVvPYqJKk

Reply #307418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Jordan's cocking-it-back from the foul line was more of a classic than Kemp's.

The other one I've always liked was Carter in 2000 with the windmill that was almost in reverse to the rotation of his body.

Tough to find new ideas after all this time. The sticker on the backboard, bouncing it off the back/side of the backboard (Iguodala?), the candle, etc are all fairly fresh. I'd hate to be anyone tasked with coming up with something new this year.

It's also tough to practice any stunt dunks reliant on a big jump and accuracy - more you're doing it, the more exhausted you get. (Not speaking from experience!)

Reply #307419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone put the ball through there legs twice and dunk it please?

Reply #307420 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

As good as all of MJ's dunks were, whether it be the from the foul line, kiss the rim, all the creative leg movements etc....That Carter dunk that Isaac referred to, is probably the best dunk ever. (And I really dislike Vince weak as piss Carter).

http://www.nbamate.com/2011/01/23/sunday-six-pack-misfiring-aussies-vince-and-the-81/

sorry linky is down again.

(About half way down page)

Reply #307425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Of course Jordan's FT line dunk was better but Kemp's was insane for a 6'10" guy. I've still got that dunk comp somewhere on video and when you see it side on it was almost like a ballerina.

Best dunk comp performance I've ever seen, Vince Carter in 2000.

Reply #307426 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Josh Smiths dunks were better then carters (even that he copied a couple of his dunks)

Reply #307427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be stupid.

Reply #307428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griifin is a cross between Kemp/Wilkins in my eyes, when Griffin jumps its crazy how high he gets.

Depends what gimmicks he has though cos as he said all the humanly possible dunks have been done so its hard to do a 'new dunk'. im still shocked at his college dunk where he smashed his head on the backboard, thats just insane!

Reply #307429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Blake will keep it simple. Could you imagine a poster of something like a lob dunk where his head is above the ring or his arm is horizontal as he is throwing it down, instant classic.

Reply #307434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Griffin could try a two hand windmill with arms fully extended?

Reply #307440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Benoit did a two hand windmill back in the 93 comp and I think Nique did one a few years before that too.

Reply #307455 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Nique made his dunks look bigger because his extension was massive. The man could take off and be a good 1 metre away and still throw it down. He was elastic almost.

Suppose this brings up the question on the "All Time Starting 5 Dunk Lineup". While there are many modern players who can throw down, I'd have to stick to the classics:

C: Shaq
PF: Kemp
SF: Nique
SG: Carter
PG: Jordan

Sixth Man: Howard

Had to rotate Jordan to PG for that team. There are respected dunkers who truly fill that little man spot; but Nate Robinson ruined that for me.

Reply #307460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know the two-handed windmill's been done, but watching Nique do it, you see that his arms are bent at times. Wondering if it's possible for Griffin to do it fully extended. Of course, it might not even be possible without being double jointed.

Reply #307464 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Isaac, think the hard part is the force that is put on the Windmill. If you're trying to add the "hate" factor to the dunk, you tend to push the ball down quicker, so you'll bend your arms like you're "shoving" the ball.

Reply #307477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754