Panther
Years ago

Melo to Lakers??!!

News is that the Lakers have had talks with Denver about the possibility of trading Andrew Bynum in order to acquire Carmelo Anthony. If these rumours are true i'm going to put my money on Lakers pulling off this deal. Denver would have to prefer getting Bynum over Chandler even though he has had injury problems especially seeing as though he's on a 2 year deal with a team option for a third.
The Nuggets want two young stars from the Knicks in Chandler and either Galineri or Fields but the Knicks only want to give up Chandler. Now the Lakers are involved this could definitely force their hand a bit.
But now the other proble for the Knicks is Chandler's surgically repaired ankle which he is now having problems with.
Will the Lakers have future problems if Melo came on board as to who has the shots between him and Kobe?
Will they also be able to pull off a trade with the Bobcats for Artest for either Jackson or Wallace???
Imagine a line up with Kobe, Melo, Odom, Gasol, Wallace/Jackson...Can anyone say Championship...for the next 3 years!

Topic #24918 | Report this topic

Captain Dan  
Years ago

As posted on both ESPN and on Hoopsworld.com, surely the nuggets can get something better than that. Mitch Kupcheck would get president of the year if he releases Bynum's $15 million deal before deadline, and I don't think the nuggets want to get rid of melo for a injury plagued guy that has pretty much missed 3 quarters of the regular season due to injury!!!

Go with the 3-way Knicks, Wolves & Nuggets, works out better for both teams, but will need a few more editions added to the deal to make it work.

---

Odom to the Nuggets wouldn't be much of a bad thing, he can be an X factor at times, can dribble the ball fairly well for a big guy and his transition up and down the court was shown at the championships. But to lose Melo for that would be uneasy on the Nuggets due to their collections of big guys on the bench. Okay Odom may recieve melo's number 3 position but would you play him there? He's normally a 4 man?
What does everyone else think? I'm still all for the 3-way trade between Nuggets, Knicks, & Wolves, which i do believe Melo is worth a player and "2" first round picks, not just one whom they may recieve from the Wolves... Nuggets should play this smart and at least get some pick from the knicks aswell as 1st round from minnesota...

Reply #307476 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Word is that the Nuggets and Lakers are talking of a potential trade for Melo to head to the Lakers!

The trade, should it eventuate, could be a straight up deal involving Bynum, but could also include other players to supplement the deal.

Reports are that the Nuggets are also in talks with Minnesota and New York that would involved a three-way deal.

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6101304

Reply #307480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've combined LC's topic and Panther's topic here, and combined Captain Dan's two comments into one. Hope that explains any issues with readability or ordering of posts.

Reply #307481 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Lakers have denied it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/02/dont-count-on-carmelo-anthony-coming-to-lakers.html

Reply #307482 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

That's just a complete waste of Talent for Melo to go to the lakers. The team is stacked for the next X years.

Melo is going East to NY, plain and simple. If he's not traded, he's going of his own accord.

Reply #307484 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Just cannot see Denver trading their franchise player to a Conference rival - especially the Lakers. Denver would rather let Melo walk for nothing than see him join LA. (maybe the Clippers, though!)

Reply #307487 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

But he would be silly not to do a sign and trade as he will potentially lose around $40 million if he doesn't. He originally said he would play for LA but never thought it was a possibility, but if LA are willing to trade Bynum I could easily see this happen.
Even if Denver have a plethora of big men, simply trade one of them off and perhaps get someone like Odom in return.

Reply #307488 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

This wouldnt work. Kobe and Melo are only effective when they have the ball as much as they can. if they tried having a 1-2 punch of melo and kobe it would cancel out the effectivness of guys like Gasol, Odom and shannon brown.

Reply #307495 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That would be a bigger steal for the lakers than gasol was! Stern would want to be checking the bank accounts of the Denver GM if they do that trade! Bynum has missed large chunks of every season due to injury and doesn't have the competitive drive to be more than a good role player. He will fall apart if he doesn't have gasol and Kobe to cover for him

Reply #307504 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

The Nuggets are trying to make the Knicks or Nets work a trade by putting out rumours of other trades...

Knicks & Nets think they can get him in the off season as a free agent and not lose too much.

The Nuggs want draft picks and expiring contracts so they can get some youth and do at some other free agents.

Reply #307514 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

"This wouldnt work. Kobe and Melo are only effective when they have the ball as much as they can. if they tried having a 1-2 punch of melo and kobe it would cancel out the effectivness"

thats what they said about lebron and d wade!!!!

Reply #307524 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

Bynum is still young, and even though he hasn't been totally healthy, that would be a very poor choice to get Melo. Having said that, a big 3 of kobe, melo and gasol against wade,bron and bosh would be quite nice to watch

Reply #307526 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Not going to happen... Lakers won't get rid of a center for another swingman, plenty in their arsenal already... Plus Melo gets final say in if it happens and I doubt he wants to give up being one of the big earners next year playing in NY next year to be second fiddle to Kobe...

Knicks trade is most likely trade and still find that doubtful as Chandler is still a great young player and Knicks know they can get Melo without having to lose humor any other players.

Reply #307528 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yep, east coast is the destination for Melo. It's going to be with New York.

Considering his wife is a millionaire and so is he; I doubt a pay-cut will affect him too much.

Reply #307548 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

If Melo sits out till the end of the season to sign with the Knicks means he will miss out on an estimated $40 million due to the lock out next season. This is why it's in his best interest to resign with the Nuggets and get traded. That way he gets a max contract and will get paid next season even if they don't play.
It does seem to be that the Lakers deal maybe just a rumour and it would be smart for the Nuggets to start this so they force the Knicks hand.
My thoughts are that if a sign and trade deal isn't done with the Knicks then you will see Houston or Dallas pull the trigger in order to try and win a Championship this season and hope to convince Melo to stay on. Very risky in the long term, but may pay off this season.

Reply #307551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754