The_Champ33
Years ago

Jerry Sloan resigns as coach of Utah

http://es.pn/hqIThf

The other day he signs a one-year extension and now reports a couple of days later that he'll step down. Much of it blamed on a declining relationship between Deron Williams and the Coach.

I've hated the Jazz for many years, but I much give much respect to Jerry Sloan. He's lasted at that team forever and still done well even when Stockton and Malone moved on.

These turnaround of events have shocked me a little bit and getting used to the idea of no Sloan after all these years will also take time to adjust.

What are your thoughts?

Topic #24934 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

That is a bombshell Champ. I had been wondering why the Jazz were in such a slump, but put it down to D-Will's injury. Obviously there was more to it than that. Will be interested to hear more about the split between D-Will and Sloan if it emerges.

I guess this probably means the end of a pretty impressive coaching career from Sloan too. Can't see him being motivated to coach a different team now.

Reply #307630 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Not a surprise IMO. The team has been going on a downward spirtal for some time time. Normally the first to go in these situations is the Coach. Sloan has always been relied upon and has always avoided the "firing" scenario in years past.

Perhaps he's aware that he might be on the chopping block around mid-season and he's stepping aside rather than tarnishing his long-standing rep.

Reply #307633 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I wonder if they gave any thought to doing it the other way - trading D-Will and keeping Sloan. I know it would be hard to get equal value back for D-Will but he could be gone in 2012 regardless of who the coach is? Or maybe the odds of him leaving have gone from 'definite' to 'maybe' now that Sloan is out?

Reply #307640 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

wonder if D Will's 2 schoolboy TO's in the clutch v Bulls yesterday has brought this to a head. He looked like he could not have cared less that he cost the Jazz the W.

Reply #307642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Sloan and his assistant have resigned, tells you that something was not right in Utah. If Williams has brought about Sloan's decision then he sits right next to LBJ IMO.

In 23 years Sloan has worked with some amazing talent to think a Gen Y brat has ended that is hard to stomach.

Reply #307646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sloan had signed a one-year contract extension on Monday.

Assistant coach Tyrone Corbin will be taking over the team. Assistant Phil Johnson, who like Sloan was in his 23rd season with the Jazz, also resigned.

Sloan said during the news conference that stepping down was his decision and that the team had tried to talk him out of it. But he says it's time to move on.
While he has headed the Jazz, there have been 245 coaching changes around the league -- 13 alone by the Los Angeles Clippers, and five current NBA teams (Charlotte, Memphis, Toronto, Orlando and Minnesota) did not even exist when Sloan took the helm in Utah.

Reply #307652 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

That's a shocker.

I was talking to some guys the other day about how much respect i have for Sloan on so many levels and 3 days later he is gone... especially under these circumstances - just wow!

Reply #307655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Him signing the extension shows it was his decision to leave. No club would sign anyone to an extension then days later put pressure on for them to leave, not even the Timberwolves! When you think about it, Sloan has had rocky relationships with many players including some of their best players, the culture at the Jazz has always been one of trust and patience between ownership and coach.

In my opinion it's probably a case of Sloan feeling like he's at the end of the road (a successful career as player and coach) and that he can't relate to many of the players these days. He's an emotional man who has never held back on letting his feelings be known (mostly away from the media) and I think this was the hair that broke the camels back.

Reply #307661 | Report this post

Sideline  
Years ago

We all knew it would happen one day - I just didn't expect it to be today! Especially seeing he just signed the extension.

You knew under Sloan that the Jazz would always compete hard, even if they weren't the most talented. It will be interesting to see what happens in the post-Sloan Jazz era.

If you compare it to Essendon losing 27 season coach Kevin Sheedy, then Corbin will coach the Jazz for a couple of seasons with sub par results. He'll have conflict with senior players who will choose to leave. Yet Corbin will be signed to a lucrative extension. But after another dismal season Corbin will have his contract cancelled when Jazz favourite son John Stockton becomes available to coach.

And then Jerry Sloan will reappear in several years as the coach of the NBA expansion team in London :)

Reply #307678 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Stockton coaching the Jazz? I'd like to see that! Don't know what the Might Mormon is doing these days though... anyone been keeping up on his life after basketball?

Reply #307745 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754