Anonymous
Years ago

Bring back Phil Smyth

our imports have sucked... the two decent ones in Balls and Hodge were due to his recruiting.

Topic #24953 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

it amazes me no other club has him

Reply #307918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it amazes me that we have hired 2 horrible coaches in a row.

Reply #307920 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Thanks Phil but no thanks!

Reply #307921 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

keep up the anon posting phil, must be a reason no other club wants u

Reply #307924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Reply #307928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Smyth is a bit too busy these days what with helping to "mentor the coach" of his local netball team and that sports show he co-hosts with KG on the net.

Reply #307934 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Bringing Smyth back is like asking Tina Turner to come back from the 80's and 90's and become a Lady Gaga of the world. It wont happen.

Phil offered much, but in his last years as coach, he showed the game was beyond him. But still a great coach

Reply #307936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth despite having the game pass by him as coach would certainly be better than Ninnis and Clarke.

Reply #307941 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

thomo, I would have agreed with you if we had good coaches since Smyth. The fact of the matter is that the team has done a down hill dive ever since his time as coach. Not only a down hill dive but still diving to this day. Smyth may not be very good now after 3 years away from basketball but he was certainly better in his day than what we have had since. I would even extend that to having a better eye for imports as well.

Reply #307943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth recruited one good import in his time and that was Willie. Even Willie got sacked eventually.

Reply #307945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyths last 3 years were just as ordinary so lets not get ahead of ourselves

Reply #307947 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Smyth's problems in his last 3 years was more attitude towards the direction of the club rather than capability as a coach.

Reply #307951 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Out come the haters.

A few seasons ago PS was as popular as a turd in a swimming pool.

Reply #307953 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

ec im not saying that phil was worse, his nack of import selection was right 70% of the time,again i think imports are worse overall in the league of past 3-5 years problem we have is we have selected for what ever reason money or lack of research 3 duds this season

what i think is ninnis was chosen on emotion as the return of a fav son and sacked after they realised hes not the next smyth and prob needed to spend another 2-3 years as and assistant at dif clubs( of first 5 years)

clarke im still havent made my mind up, i like what he does with youth but you need senior players around who can guide the team as well (this is reminding me of the dunlap era) i still think the biggest single mistake was not getting a import centre or go for a schench type player to have them share the C with johnson and move balls to his natural position,

if that was done not saying it would be a great season still but im confident we would have 3-4 more wins easily,

im happy for clarke to have his 3 year plan and i wouldnt say this years a right off, creek and daly are showing that, but shouldnt be put in the current position, saying that though at least he has the balls to play rookies, unlike last 2 coaches imagine if other rookies (dont need to mention names) new they would get some decent minutes under the smyth era
might have been a dif looking sixers all together

if this time next season we are seing no sign of heading in the right direction then we should be concerned,

is it time we have a full time import scout, i believe a couple other contending clubs have this,

again lack of true centre is killing us tonight showed that, balls battled hard but needed a big to take ira out of the game or at least nullify him,

why the hell isnt johnson playing MORE

imports as a whole for all clubs have been going down hill over past 5 years statistics prove that but im still astounded we have had 3 duds this season, maybe 4 depending on how eddie goes for the rest of the season,

Reply #307959 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Issac what are the chances you could get Smyth to come on and talk to us?

Reply #307960 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Phil was great in the beginning but ran out of tricks and lacked the ability to come up with new ideas as other coaches adjusted to negate his strategies. He also had some dubious squads.

Give Clarke time, if he is worth his salt he will acknowledge the short comings of his squad and press for changes.

The question is, will the owners walk the same path?

Reply #307965 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As a coach of developing juniors, then its a very legitimate question as to why Johnson is not improving. He has done a great job with Daly. I speak only of Daly and not Creek because Creek came into the team late in the season and was unleashed from the very first game. Daly however, did start the season as junior and made huge progress as the season progressed. Why has he not been able to do this with Johnson? As far as import scout, that is definitely the way to go. Smyth did have a bit more success with choosing imports but correct me if I am wrong, both he and Breheny made the trip to the US to see with their own eyes.

Reply #307966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

jumpshot, zero. You can talk to him yourself though.

Reply #307975 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Our coach is Marty. He has all the prospects coming here. Lets see where we are next season.

I just hope everyone he is recruiting plays in the local comp. That way the fan base will again grow and so should our talent pool.

Reply #307998 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Time away from the game is not necessarily a problem, check out Adrian Hurley's performance to be coach of the year upon his return with a very mediocre Hunter squad, there again few would argue that Bruce Palmer did well in either of his return stints.

I thought that Scott Ninnis had a resonable stint as an assistant coach in the NBL. Didn't he form part of the men in black barbershop choir for BG , before being the assistant coach of the Dragons ?

I was very glad to see the success that Philk had as a coach, but disappointed ( but not surprised) to see the Vocal yokals of SA to once again P!$$ on their own as soon as they could. I doubt that Jerry Slaon would have made it to 6 years here.

Reply #308011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately Phil did not adapt his coaching to the the (very unattractive) disruptive style of the modern NBL. Take a look at how Joyce, Gorjian, Wright, Beveridge, Fearne teams played/play.

Adelaide then employed 2 rookie head coaches in a row. Furthermore, it's not just the rookie head coach but also the (poor) quality and inexperienced assistants and fitness coaches. Not to mention managers and a pretend CEO.

In a league when 5% separates success and failure, can you really expect to win over the course of a year with these deficiencies??????

Reply #308028 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

No.

Reply #308035 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Should we be frustrated yes
Should we bring back Smyth NO No NO
Well and truly had used by date in last 2 or so years that is why no one else wanted him.

Reply #308044 | Report this post

Winitinaminute  
Years ago

NO Phil please,nice guy who has done his time with the sixers,even Marty has done better than scott and Phil dd in their last seasons as coach.

Reply #308046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth's success was partically due to the money being pumped into the 36ers from local basketball.

It would be easy to say our success was due to the $2M the 36ers were losing each year. Which was in part due to some salary cap issues.

Look at Brisbane, Sydeny and the Dragons.

Winning has more to do with beating the cap than anything else.

Reply #308048 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

There would be one very clear reason why other clubs have not picked Phil up.

Reply #308059 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sung to Amy Winehouse "Rehab"

They tried to make me go back coaching but I said 'no, no, no'
Yes I've been booted once but when I come back you'll know know know
I ain't got the time and my daughter's team thinks I'm fine
They’ve tried to make me go to the dome but I won't go go go

(Apologies to Phil and Amy)

Reply #308067 | Report this post

Avon Barksdale  
Years ago

Sorry Boti but thats a BIG NO from me.

I thought we had to use the name Voldemort for Phil Smythe??

If Clarke had Brett Maher in his prime like Smythe did then we would be in the finals. At least these players will learn something.

Next you will want Smythe back as Australian coach!

Reply #308085 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Avon, "Boti"? What do you mean?

Reply #308089 | Report this post

Avon Barksdale  
Years ago

Boti for umpteen years wouldnt touch Phil. Whereas imports, opposition coaches would cop the wrath of Boti. He stuck up for Phil when Australia lost to New Zealand and didnt make the World Championships, when Phil refused to sign Ingles, Newley etc Boti had his back even when he was well past his useby date....so I'm referring to Anonymous who started the topic as Boti.

Reply #308419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754