anon2
Years ago

U/20 Nationals

U/20 Nationals start this week.

Any predictions?

Vics & NSW to battle it out in the mens.

Mitch Creek, Drimic, and Iggy should get the Vics over the line.

Topic #24961 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Hopefully the Qlders can give them a good run - Mitch Norton will lead the way

Reply #308136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hussey, Clarke and Thomas should put in a good showing for WA

Reply #308140 | Report this post

rejap9  
Years ago

I can see new south going the whole way in the mens

Well coached by Damien Cotter and Jim Wilson

Plus with the top age experience of aldridge, barry, trist, rowley all who were u/19 aus players they look the goods to me.

plus home court advantage, the maitland crowds will be letting the vics and qlders feel welcome.

Should be interesting anyway.

Reply #308266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about girls?? Vic?

Reply #308441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will SA girls go?

Reply #308442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Boys won't win. They have a good first 6 but after that it is pretty thin.

How can you pick guys that average about 6 in the youth league over guys averaging twice as much and being mucg better shooters.

Reply #308460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such as?

Reply #308464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon

Davies (15.1), Clark (13.3), Rawson (11.6, Sadauskas (11.6) and Kareta (11.1)

All above were eligible for State Team.

Yet Gardner from South is in with an average of (8) and he is in as a shooter.

Has the State Coach been out to watch any Youth League Games?

Reply #308482 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah but same could be said for the choosing of most state teams in SA. Other Div 1 players often outscore and outplay the chosen kids all the time and it dont make a razoo difference as to who is chosen.

Reply #308487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gardner is actually in as a ball handler

Which only Kareta can compare with

Also take into account the fact that scoring isn't everything.

Clark is an Under 18

Reply #308489 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

Anonymous coaches dont look for those who can score and average good ppg but do they pass, play d listen to players and coaches and so on.

Clark (from woodville i believev you are referring to) is under 18s not 20s, Sadauskas didn't try out this year either but for rawson and kareta both should have been in the team

Reply #308490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gardner is in as a ball handler than that is an even worse decision.

Davies at Southern can also handle the ball and is a great 3 point shooter.

Cant believe Kareta would have been overlooked for Gardner to handle the ball!!

Reply #308492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rawson is too small to play 4 man at nationals

Gardner is very under-rated. Davies is not a ballhandler.

end of the day coach sees these guys a lot more then any of us.

Reply #308494 | Report this post

anonaswell!  
Years ago

Heard that there was a knee injury to one of the SA boys from Eastern, does any one know who got his spot?

Reply #308500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gardner can't even play. The state coach just so happens to coach South's youth league team, hence gardner over kareta....

Reply #308501 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This thread will be a ditto when the U

Reply #308503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An article in the Eastern courier, Casella believes the team is talented enough to win the championship, and I quote "Casella says his sides strength is its shooting skills. Our guards will be the key. We need to be shooting well and we need to rely on the perimeter guys to make shots". Unquote. Based on this he must have been looking for shooters in his team.
Sorry, but this team wont get a look in!

Reply #308510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gardner can't even play. The state coach just so happens to coach South's youth league team, hence gardner over kareta"

What rubbish! Gardner has made TWO state sides before this one, and his youth league coach was invloved in NEITHER of those...

Reply #308520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sensing a little green eyed jealousy here girls-or is that boys you have to wonder the sex.
Attitude has a lot to do with selection and I am informed that the players mentioned who missed out have shown some poor attitude and there fore this could have detrimental effect in their selection.

Reply #308522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last anon - I have heard the same thing

Reply #308524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 520

Gardner should not have made those States sides either. What does he actually bring to the team, he is not a ball handler, not overly big and an average 3 point shooter.

Looking at the article in quoted in the Eastern Courier I assume he is in for his shooting.

Why Casella says there strength is in their shooting skills is beyond me when only Hooley, Spehr and occasionally Isaih are any good from outside the key.

With Carlin, Marriot and Prest playing I suggest they be looking to get it inside to have nay chance.

Reply #308529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever-selection is subjective and just because YOU think Rawson and Kareta should have made it over Gardner than all coaches that have selected him have been wrong and dont know what they see in him.
Mmmmmmm...... that would be Liam Flynn, Paul Mesecke,
(2 sturt coaches at the time)Chas mcCormickMmmm he picked Rawson and Gardner and as Kaleta was a U20 age at the time wasnt in contention. Then Mmmm.....another Sturt coach at the time Tony Casella over looks Kareta 1st yr U20 and now because he is at South mmmmmm its a South bias and there is no way Gardner should be there.
What a load of frog shit... Grow Up

Reply #308532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #308535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how about we actually put some positive energy into the championships for the boys and girls? then maybe when the championships are over we can look at where they did or didn't struggle.

Reply #308543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rawson has done his knee so it's irrelevant now isn't it

Reply #308559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will our girls go do you think?

Reply #308565 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would be interested to know how many State Coaches take advice from Club Div 1 coaches in relation to choosing state teams?

Reply #308574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think none, because club coaches would not be all that interested in winning Nationals, but rather in having their own players makingthe team.

Reply #308585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

522, "Attitude has a lot to do with selection and I am informed that the players mentioned who missed out have shown some poor attitude and there fore this could have detrimental effect in their selection."

If that is the case there are at least two in the team that should not be there based on past National attitude performances

Reply #308605 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"I would think none, because club coaches would not be all that interested in winning Nationals, but rather in having their own players makingthe team"

exactly - coaches interested in their own players making the team would be cause for a lot of input yeah?

Reply #308617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read this as general to state selection of every age group and sex, attitude plays no part in selection despite it being mentioned by god in every early session. The more self centred , obnoxious and selfish you are, the more likely you are to be selected.
In every SA team selected over the last decade there has been at least one train wreck in waiting, selected to derail the team. While they were all good ballers, blind Freddy knew better than the selection gurus why they should not have been included.

Reply #308627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Checked out the team lists - no Tippet for Qld and no Bunton for Tas. Thought both the girls were playing

Reply #308713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754