Isaac
Years ago

Ingles wins Copa del Rey with Regal Barcelona

Surprised no one's posted this yet.

Copa del Rey is a Spanish basketball tournament (King's Cup) played between the top eight teams from the Spanish league at around the half-way mark of the regular season. They play a four day tournament.

Joe Ingles' team, Regal Barcelona, won this year, beating rivals Real Madrid on Feb 13. Here's a list of results of the 2010-11 tournament.

From that page, attendances are around 10-14,000 people. Regal Barcelona have playing for them Rubio, Navarro, Vazquez, etc. Ingles is a back-up SF behind an American, Alan Anderson.

For those who haven't loosely followed Ingles' recent travels in European basketball, his club's site has this:

After seven ACB games with Granada, Joe was picked up by Regal Barça to cover the loss through injury of Gianluca Basile, but also as a long term option, with the Aussie signing on for three years. His impressive stats so far this season mark him out as a player for a big club with an average of 33 minutes on court, 13,3 points, 4 defensive rebounds and nearly 1 in attack, 3,9 assists and a global valuation average of 17 points.
Joe had 22 points in the three games of the tournament, including 15 points in one game.

For the few people who've recently sounded hopeful of luring someone like Ingles back to the 36ers, the transfer fee to get Joe from Granada to Barcelona was listed as 450,000 Euros (just over AU$600k). I read that Boniface N'Dong (back-up centre for Barcelona) is on a two-year 3.3m Euro contract.

I think it's easy to forget what Joe has and is achieving here.

It's not always easy to keep track of Australian players in detail while they play in Europe, so hopefully a few people find this interesting.

Topic #24973 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Definitely deserves it's own thread, but it has already been reported in the Euro thread ;)

http://hoops.com.au/forum/23997-australian-22euro-watch22-2010-11-season/

Ingles has been in very good form in coming off the bench recently too, although he only scored 1 point in the final.

Brad Newley's team Lietuvos Rytas also made the final of the Lithuanian Cup, although went down to Euroleague final 16 team Zalgiris.

AJ Ogilvy is in sizzling form in Turkey, leading Besiktas to the final of the Turkish Cup before going down to Euroleague giants Fenerbahce Ulker.

Reply #308298 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 15 point game (in less than 17 mins) was a good one from Joe, and you can watch a replay at www.acb.com. It was good to see him get on the court because as the year wears on he is rarely seeing any significant courttime unless they are playing a poor team.

All it takes is an injury though and he will find himself back in the rotation, especially if he keeps putting up numbers like that when he gets the chance.

Reply #308299 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Isaac only posted this so he could mention the name Boniface N'Dong. I'm surprised Bo Hamburger didn't beat him to it.

Reply #308323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I did recognise N'Dong from his NBA stint and bet that Bo has that name already secured in his personal name album.

Reply #308327 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

@Paul - I used to watch the ACB games in full via acb.com (called ACB360 I think) but lately it looks to bring up a page asking for a code if you are an Orange phone customer.

Have you found this to be the case lately too?

Reply #308341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Too bad you are a tactless bastard.)

Reply #308445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754