LC
Years ago

An NBA game for Australia?

Today's Herald-Sun in Melbourne and SEN radio (with Andrew Gaze) report that NBA Asia in conjunction with the NBL and Basketball Australia are looking into the feasibility of hosting an NBA game in either Melbourne or Sydney in the very new future.

Herald-Sun Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-bid-for-nba-game/story-e6frfgbf-1226006512442

"Ultimately, the goal is to get an NBA game here," BA chief executive Larry Sengstock said yesterday. "It's a costly exercise, but ... we want to get players and coaches here."

"We want to promote the NBA because we've got players (Andrew Bogut, Patty Mills and David Andersen) in it. Andrew is a potential all-star and is doing very well."

Topic #24974 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

Its amazing that we are the only City with a dedicated stadium, get larger crowd numbers than most other cities (despite sucking this year) yet the NBL doesnt decide to reward the fans here for the constant loyal support over the years. They reward the eastern states who have had how many teams go under due to lack of support!

Reply #308308 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

The eastern states would get it simply because they're bigger. You seriously want to bring a team to Adelaide and give the impression that a city our size is what they're trying to attract? hell no.

Anyway, NBA is NBA - NBL crowds might not be large in the Eastern states, but I can guarantee you'll sell out an NBA game.

Reply #308310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any NBA game should definitely go to Melbourne or Sydney.

I think the Kings would be averaging higher crowds than the 36ers this year.

Reply #308312 | Report this post

Go Ducks  
Years ago

Wouldnt the biggest venue be the Superdome or whatever its called in Sydney?? The one they used for the olympics... World class venue so why wouldnt you use it for something like this!?!?

Reply #308329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18,500 or so the SuperDome holds. They got 17,000 for a double-header NBL game in 1999 (AC Earl days).

Def would be good to see a NBA game there.

Reply #308330 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now this is throwing it out there...what about holding the game at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne?

If they can hold an NBA All Star game at Dallas' 100,000 seat indoor football stadium, then Etihad Stadium could surely do the same. It's configuration already allows for a rectangle soccer/rugby pitch when used...not much more effort for a basketball court config surely?

55,000+ spectators to an NBA game in Melbourne...I think it could happen if organised.

Reply #308334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA court is larger aswell, i don't think the dome has the requirements to hold NBA games

Reply #308339 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBA courts are no larger than a FIBA basketball court - they are the same size!

In fact the new FIBA court markings (laneway, 3 point line and charge circle) are adopting the NBA's markings.

Reply #308342 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

LC, there courts are a different size

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_court

Reply #308346 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - I never knew that and stand corrected. Thanks for the advice and link.

Reply #308348 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I would definately travel to melb or syd for this. Would pay top dollar for seats as well. I love the idea of Ethihad Stadium as well. If they could bring to reasonable teams I think enough people would travel from interstate to fill the stadium even if the locals couldn't fill it.

Reply #308351 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age provides more info...

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/australia-shoots-high-to-bring-an-nba-game-down-under-20110215-1av4f.html

From the article:

"...the main obstacle was the cost of hosting a visit which he expected to be more than $10 million."

"You want to play him on the biggest stadiums so you can get the biggest crowds."

Sengstock could not say when he expected to host the NBA.

Sengstock added the NBA could play a vital role in the battle to keep emerging players from moving to other sports, especially AFL.

'I think we need to promote the NBA more especially while we have players in it,' he said.

'We can say to kids that you can come through our programs and make it all there just like these guys did.'

Reply #308363 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

bucks v trailblazers!! perfect!! bogut can chip in a bit, indigenous funding can chip in a bit!!! government chip in the rest and I will contribute by buying a ticket!! and some chips from the canteen!!

Reply #308383 | Report this post

Go Ducks  
Years ago

LC..... Love the Etihad idea... Get it done!!

Reply #308384 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with you Curious - that's the game I would love to see and I would pay for tickets. Hold it at Etihad Stadium (Docklands) and the game would sell out. Would get a few interstaters and possibly some from NZ to fly over for the game - would do wonders for tourism in Melbourne as well.

Reply #308403 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

When at the all star game last year I got seated next to the guy in charge of promo for NBA in Australia and he was talking about a game in 5 years hopefully... Apparently after the NBA office closed in Sydney they kind of gave up on OZ but thanks to Bogut and Mills popularity they have looked at Australia again. One of the matchups they hope to start it off with is Blazers and Bucks so he said... Hopefully it happens!

Reply #308415 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

adelaide hosted high stakes hoops, and of course had huge attendance...

Reply #308434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not always lack of support that trips up clubs, sometimes its mismanagement even though the fans are still attending.

Reply #308435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pwned, as has been mentioned a million times on here before, high stakes hoops was held during the day on weekdays when everyone is working. no city wouldve drawn a crowd. adelaides nbl crowd figures speak for themselves

Reply #308439 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon - I don't think anyone should be resting on their laurels for drawing an average NBL croud of about 5,000. That is not exactly impressive when you have a capacity of 8,000 and a city with over a million residents (less than half a pecent attendance rates).

Basketball doesn't draw the crowds it should in this country, and I am not sure that an NBA game would be any different. Sure, I expect you could sell 15,000 seats or whatever to the Sydney Olympic Park basketball stadium, but I have real reservations as to whether you would get anything near 55,000 at Docklands. I guess it would help if the NBA sank several million into advertising it with a long lead time.

Reply #308459 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

wollongong have an average crowd of 3,500, with a total population of 200,000. so statistically their attendance is better. and you then look at sydneys opening game which drew 8000+ it is not ridiculous to assume they couldve achieved that number consistently had they kept winning.

even though your argument for HSH may hold true, who isnt to say attendance would have been better in either sydney or melbourne. it was school holidays after all.

Reply #308465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're holding an NBA game in Australia. You go with Melbourne or Sydney, clearly. Adelaide shouldn't enter anything but a tangential discussion.

Not overly familiar with the venues, but Rod Laver in Melbourne, and Acer Arena in Sydney?

If half the trouble and cost is getting everyone over here, you'd surely look at two games?

Reply #308476 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Primarily as promotion - I'd speak to Etihad Airlines and Stadium.

Reply #308541 | Report this post

Europa 98  
Years ago

Well Etihad Stadium had a WWE pay-per-view event in 2002. It drew a crowd of nearly 57 thousand. The wrestling ring is about 6 metres by 6 metres. So I'm guessing they should be able to do the same for Basketball.

Reply #308546 | Report this post

OZBBallDream  
Years ago

Great Idea, yeah I would travel to Melb or Syd to see them for sure, I think another idea would be to have an NBL all stars team play both of the visiting NBA teams ( the best of the NBL players - local and imports ) could compete as one team ( for NBL promotion purposes as well ) , a great cross promotion opportunity.

Reply #324701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754