Kevin Braswell: 6
Dillon Boucher: 4
Cj Bruton: 8
Alex Pledger: -4
Benny Anthony: 1

Reply #308845 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

You mean the breakers development players are too good. Pledger Abercrombe and Anthony all having good games and contributing well. Penney has hit some big shots but so has CJ. Ira Clark and James Harvey keeping the Blaze in it.

Reply #308846 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Massive run from Gold Coast.

Reply #308863 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

If NZ lose by a point, the GC can thank the refs. Kirk Penney tech foul is crap. He made contact with his forearm on the ball. Another guess by a rookie ref.

Reply #308872 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Then now, 2 charges when both defenders are inside the ark shaped half circle. Wow, what a bunch of retarded refs

Reply #308874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

dave, at least those two cancelled each other out. I wondered if that was a make-up call.

Here's the +/- at the end of regulation:

HOME TEAM
Adam Gibson: -13
Tom Garlepp: -13
Ira Clark: 6
James Harvey: -10
Stephen Hoare: 3
Chris Goulding: 13
Darryl Hudson: 8
Ater Majok: 0
Jason Cadee: 2
Luke Kendall: 4
Brendan Teys: 0

ROAD TEAM
Kirk Penney: -1
Thomas Abercrombie: 4
Mika Vukona: 16
Paul Henare: -1
Gary Wilkinson: 0
Kevin Braswell: 1
Dillon Boucher: -10
Cj Bruton: -2
Alex Pledger: -6
Benny Anthony: -1

Reply #308877 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

At least it's both ways on the charge calls.
Overtime 101-101
clutch 3's from Penney and Bruton

Reply #308878 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Double OT, who would have thought.
Big plays from Gibson down the stretch

Reply #308888 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers notch up another win in a close game. Penney the difference with 35points

Reply #308902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney (besides the FTs) is at another level and should be in another league.

Final +/- after two OTs:

HOME TEAM
Adam Gibson: -21
Tom Garlepp: -13
Ira Clark: 6
James Harvey: -18
Stephen Hoare: -8
Chris Goulding: 12
Darryl Hudson: 4
Ater Majok: 0
Jason Cadee: 2
Luke Kendall: -4
Brendan Teys: 0

ROAD TEAM
Kirk Penney: 7
Thomas Abercrombie: 12
Mika Vukona: 16
Paul Henare: 5
Gary Wilkinson: 0
Kevin Braswell: 9
Dillon Boucher: -8
Cj Bruton: 6
Alex Pledger: -6
Benny Anthony: -1

Reply #308903 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Yet Penney isn't in another league which speaks volumes for his dedication to the Breakers. We all know which league he should be in.

I often wonder if three or four of Australia's best non NBA talent returned to the NBL (like Ingles, Newley, Barlow, Jawal etc) would it increase the likelihood of greater corporate support for the league and subsequently help justify a (minimal) increase in salary cap and points.

Reply #308928 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Awsome game, unlucky Blaze but they choked on the line.
Too many missed free throws in the last qtr
I still think those plus minus stats are up the shit.
Pledger was good for NZ despite -s 6.
Some of Pennys shots were incredible.
CJ Bruton was tough as well.
Not sure about some of the import PG FOR NZ shot selection tonight when he had CJ and Penny on fire!
Wright left Harvey and Gibson on the bench too long and cost them the game
and probably a finals chance.

Reply #308970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

James, doesn't necessarily mean Pledger played badly, but that the Blaze outscored the Breakers by six points while he was on the court. May have been his fault or not - in a single game, it's more a point of interest than anything.

Reply #308976 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Just want to say that that game was one of the best I've seen this season. If you missed it, do yourself a favour and catch the replay. It's worth it for Penney's shooting alone, but had plenty of notable moments from other players of both teams as well. Very glad that one was on tv.

Reply #308981 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agree Dunkin Dan, between Wilkinson, Clark, Penney, Bruton, Gibson, Harvey and Abercrrombie, there was some great shooting. Gibson stepped up in the second half and Harvey was pretty solid all game. Both teams racked up the fouls and Clark, Goulding, vukona and Boucher all fouled out.
Refs really need to sort out that non sportsman like foul garbage, Penneys tech was a joke, are you not allowed to play hard d on a fastbreak?
Breakers hit their shots when it counted and got the W.
Was impressed with Abercrombies shooting, he hit a couple of 3's and a couple of sweet mid range jumpers and climbed high for a standard abercrombie alley oop off a Braswell pass and got at least 1 block.

Reply #308984 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

James, how was Lemanis and Braswell in the huddle after Braswell threw up yet another brick that should have been given to CJ, Penney or Abercrombie to shoot.
Abercrombies jumpshot looks to be coming along nicely.

Reply #308990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

steven hoare choked hard.

Reply #308998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

D'Dan, you may or may not know that there are NBL haters that pipe up on Twitter all the time complaining that NBL is being shown instead of NBA or A-League or whatever. Don't fret though - they are at least consistent, sulking during this Blaze-Breakers game too!

Reply #309005 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Incredible game, senstaional performances from so many players. Blaze really didnt do much wrong just the Breakers were a bit better.

If only we had hit our foul shots :(

Reply #309009 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Isaac, I'll add that to the list of reasons I don't bother with Twitter.
I'll take that game over 95% of NBA games.

Reply #309015 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I thought it was a quality game , other than F/Ts and a coupla calls on Ira Clark.
As I look around , people disagreeing on Burston's and Clarke's abilities.
so much depends on the beholder.

Reply #309028 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Anonymous. Goulding choked big time as well!!
Mystro. I liked Lemanis getting into his import? He was playing dumb out there.
I aggree with u about getting the ball to the other 3.
Statman , alot went wrong for the Blaze, Choked on the Line.
Not just Hoare , Goulding is a front runner and makes dumb plays and thinks his Steve Nash but some people love that crap .lol
What was Wright thinking playing Kendal all those minutes, slow & mistake ridden.
Wright had no special plays to get it done after timeouts . Lemanis out Coached Him
Wright left Harvey, who was hot and Gibson who got hot in the second half out way too long for mine in that game

Reply #309055 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Luke Kendall was a bit of a liability out there for the blaze, tried to do to much straight away.
I don't think it was so much that the Blaze players choked but didn't have much gas left in the tank to finish plays down the stretch as the game was played at a high tempo throughout. The Breakers kept making their rotations while the Blaze were forced to play their starters as much as they could until foul trouble forced Clark, Gibson and Harvey to the bench.
NZ finished the game playing small ball with a whole team of guards after Wilkinson fouled out.

Reply #309059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

am i the only one who wonders if kirk penney actually knows how to play basketball? you have to wonder how much actual feel for the game is required when you can get your shot off whenever you want.. when he actually has to make a decision he can look absolutely awful, which is probably the reason he's not in the NBA - over and above his lack of athleticism.. and would it hurt him to smile occasionally?

Reply #309068 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cool story Anon

Reply #309071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Kirk is one of the best players on the planet moving away from the ball, yes I do think he know how to play the game.

Reply #309088 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Kirk Penney in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4lajkOR40

Reply #309147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754