NH: Water activity

can anyone help here - I can only get the water to stay that way for around 5-6 seconds - not as long as the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctaA2mERzI

Topic #25022 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

I'm calling bullshit on this one and I don't believe for a second you can get close to replicating it.

Reply #309036 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

billo, I'd guess that the joke is that it spreads virally by those who realise it's not going to work but convince others that they're trying and should give it a shot too.

Before I clicked the link, I thought it was going to be one of those videos of water instantly freezing when it is bumped. That does work however.

Reply #309039 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The water is held that way due to surface tension and rotational momentum. I think you'll find you need two people to make it work really well. One person holds the top of the glass down on the table and the other rotates the glass for a while in order to build up momentum. The one which worked, he rotated his hand anti-clockwise, then lifted, whereas the three failed attempts he twisted clockwise - probably not a factor, but might be something in it. Water swirls down the toilet differently in the northern hemisphere.

He uses a plastic tumbler and one with a defined angle and simple shape, not a glass and not a shape with a curve.

The other thing might be some olive oil (or similar) in the glass which reduces friction between the glass and the water and helps the spin. This may be important as the water is rotating (moving) and this suggests the glass needs to be seriously rotated prior to the lift.

Why didn't this come out during school holidays?

Reply #309060 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754