Isaac
Years ago

Wortho, Tragardh fined for Twitter comments

Gold Coast Blaze senior player Mark Worthington and Melbourne Tiger's Captain Cameron Tragardh have both been fined by the National Basketball League for comments made on their Twitter accounts during the ONE HD televised game between the Gold Coast Blaze and the New Zealand Breakers on Sunday night.

The league has found both players guilty of publicly criticising the referees during the game on the social networking site, Twitter.

Worthington has been fined $1,000, however half of the fine ($500) has been suspended pending any further infraction of the rules between now and the end of the NBL season.

Tragardh has been fined $500 which was suspended, again pending any further infraction of the rules between now and the end of the NBL season.

"The ever expanding use in social media amongst our clubs, players and coaches is a valuable way to engage directly and immediately with our fans and is encouraged by the league office, however it is important that we ensure our rules are upheld and respect for our game officials is maintained.

"We will treat public criticism on social media sites the same way we would in the mainstream media," said Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer, Larry Sengstock.

Didn't see Wortho's tweet, but Tragardh's was widely retweeted and concerned an unsportsmanlike fouled called on Kirk Penney in the televised Blaze-Breakers game AFAIK.

Topic #25034 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

How critical were they? Did they just disagree with the call or take it a bit further?

Reply #309216 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"NBL refs stop calling so many unsportsmanlike fouls on good hard fouls! Please!"

Please tell me that wasn't the comment he got pinged for.

Reply #309217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe that was the one...

@JoeBlakeSnake
Wortho and Trigger get fined for Twitter, but you can throw a ball in somebody's face? C'mon Man????

@ChrisAnstey13
Couldn't agree more RT @CTrigger11: NBL refs stop calling so many unsportsmanlike fouls on good hard fouls! Please!

@MRFOOJI
#NBL seriously? Fining CTrigger11 for a question? A VALID Q that all fans want an answer to? How about using social media than fighting it?

Reply #309219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho

"Worst refing ever in the first 5 mins. What's nbl rule for players tweeting during games?"

Reply #309224 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Triggers was a fair comment, Wortho's was just plain dumb.

Reply #309225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a fair comment, when made on Twitter.

The rules are clear. NBL taking the soft approach again by suspending the fines.

If there are rules, which there are then the NBL need to enforce them not give players a soft please don't do that again.

Rule says no public comments about referees or refereeing decision. How hard is that for players to understand?

Reply #309226 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Because his comment wasn't overly critical, and its wasnt a moronic whinge like Wortho's. He said what most of us are thinking - back off on calling the USF's.

Reply #309228 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I bet there are a few coaches who have been fined in the past who are scratching their heads

Reply #309230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his comment was a negative made about refereeing, therefore broke the rules.

Reply #309231 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Refs should be fair game for anyone - players included.

Just sayin' :)

/0.2

Reply #309232 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It wasn't negative, it was constructive criticism ;-)

Reply #309233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so write an email through the club to the NBL asking the question.

I am sure if players, teams, clubs have issues with refereeing decisions that a process is in place.

Posting crap like that on Twitter just fuels the idiot clan even further.

Reply #309237 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I really dont think his comment, which I am sure a strong majority of people who have watched games this year would agree with, does anything to fuel any idiots.

Reply #309238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loco turn it around.

If a referee posted on Twitter ... "Please Trigger stop shooting the ball so much"

or

"Worthington just played the worst 5 mins I've ever seen"

What would be the response? Constructive criticism? Doubt it.

Reply #309239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is just soft like princess who can't take criticisms

Reply #309241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rule says no public comments about referees or refereeing decision. How hard is that for players to understand?
Last time I checked, Wortho's twitter feed was private. I know that only means so much, but it's not like it was intended as quote for reporters. Still, fine was valid for him - he was almost begging for it.

Tragardh would've been lulled into forgetting that he wasn't just another fan watching a game between other teams. If Tragardh had been fined $500 straight up for that, I think that would've been a mistake.

Reply #309242 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What if a ref did say those things? Are there any rules are in place for them to not criticse players?

If a ref was on Hoops and posted something like "Cam needs to stop settling for outside shots when he should be playing closer to the basket" I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Reply #309243 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

how about the refs learn how to referee a game! if they didnt suck like they have most of the season they wouldnt be getting criticised, simple as that. and dont deny it we have all seen more bad reffing this season than good

Reply #309245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SRT070 that's not true at all.

Referee decisions are argued by fans because they're fans of one team.

even if a referee did a perfect game, many fans would abuse them. Because they follow one team.

Coaches often complain for all contact to be called down one end only to complain about any contact being called a foul at the other.

Referees are human and make mistakes. The NBL through BA because of FIBA set the rules. Most of the issues, such as Tragardh's comment are more about the rules themselves then the decisions of a referee.

I'm the first to agree that referee standards in this country are average and more should be done to improve them. But do you really think a referee will do a better job because a fan, player or coach is abusing them?

The answer is to get the League and BA to invest more resources, money, manpower into referee education. Then set a higher bar.

Abusing a referee only has a negative outcome.

Reply #309249 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Anon i did not say abusing will fix the problem but it definitely brings it to light and makes people realise, however i have read that the league has been happy about the refereeing so it cant be both.

also i wasnt talking about fans arguing referee decisions at all. i am a sixer fan but i have watched most of the televised games this season for the league and many times i have been scratching my head as to how the referee came up with the decision they did so to the commentators in some cases. i may be more biased when the sixers are playing but im basing my thoughts on the neutral games i have seen and heard others discuss.

Reply #309252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm telling you that abusing referees, or making comments on here or on twiiter or anywhere does nothing.

League's expect it and therefore don't react.

League pays people to train, observe and evaluate the performances of referees. They are the only people the League listens to.

Reply #309254 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Maybe that is the problem then?

Reply #309256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You think the League should take on board every referee complaint from fans?

Like the 36ers should take on board every comment about the playing roster on here?

Not a chance. Plus you'd have zero referees if that was the case.

Reply #309259 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

im not saying to abuse referees or post comments on here. Writing a letter wont do jack shit either. If enough people complained about it openly as we are discussing now it would be heard. There are plenty of examples happening around the world of this nature. If enough people are sick of it they would fix it. But we all grin and bare it.

I think we would still have referees left if it was pointed out to them things that they are doing wrong. Show replays of poor screens like those that screen and raise there elbows and teach the refs to not allow that crap. But if they are never picked up on these calls then they wont think its a problem

Reply #309260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon- your argument about referees are dubious. they are terrible this season. just go back and check at replays and stop lying to yourself.

being human doesn't allow them to make the mistakes in such high frequency. bare in mind they are professionals. you're allowed a few mistakes here and there, but not like this. this is unacceptable and terrible at the professional level. if the league stay put that probably explains why they are struggling.

Reply #309262 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not saying take on board every single complaint. I'm saying that issue lies when the refs are only accountable to other refs, and those refs are the only people that the league listens to. If you want to claim that refs are "only human" then remove them from the un-humanlike bubble they are in, make them open to proper criticism and allow them their chance to respond, and put their hands up if the made an error or something they are calling, like the USF fouls, is becoming an issue.

Reply #309265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha and worthington wants to be captain (a shining beacon of responsible conduct on and off the court) while writing things like that on twitter and fuming at every second call on the court?
i don't think that is the kind of example the public or corporates will identify with.
perhaps when he grows up a bit, but i can see why the other players weren't happy about it.

Reply #309269 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree that refs should not be criticised publicly because regardless of their ability to referee, they need to create a discipline that is needed to maintain credibility to the league. But I would also like to see refs fined for making mistakes. Not just a single one but those that are constantly making dodgy calls and especially those that directly affect the outcome of a game.

Reply #309285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #262 Referees in the NBL are far from Professionals. It is a professional league for players (just) but no referee is full time and the amount of money they get in a season is minimal. On average across the entire panel they would make $5000 approx a year before TAX. Hardly a professional gig.

Reply #309296 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props to Trigger for saying what everyone else was thinking as well, Worthingtons comments were a waste of Interwebs

Reply #309299 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

so anon are you saying that because they dont get paid that well it justify's them doing a bad job. That is a complete cop out. No one is forcing refs to go out and pick up the whistle, they do that through choice. if they choose to do the job at least be professional enough to do it reasonably well.

Reply #309312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, I would like the 36ers to annouce the fine they'll award to DJ for the pass which actually cost the 36ers the game on Friday Night.

Until that happens, I think fining amateur referees is extremely unfair.

Reply #309320 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Reply #309239

Yeah I realise, but refs are able to bias an outcome. I didn't say it was a GOOD idea, I'd just love to see it.

And that's why I don't run jack!

Reply #309341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB3 the comment was based on the word professional. It implies they make their livelihood out of refereeing NBL. They clearly dont. The only sporting code that has professional referees/umpires to my knowledge are the NRL and they get roughly $80,000 a year.

I was never relating the amount paid to the performance given. I was mearly pointing out that they are not professional fulltime referees.

Reply #309350 | Report this post

JOKESTER  
Years ago

The simple answers to make reffing more accountable

is #1 to get rid of the word INTERPRETATION

No 2 refs will interpret the play the same way because they are in different positions and see differing accounts

#2 like AFL have a review panel that can drop offending/poor refs down to lower grade games (or out for a week or two)

#3 test all refs on their knowledge of how the new and old rules are to be applied (by the book)

ex - a foul is a foul - contact is contact - abuse is abuse - twitting is stupid - SIMPLE

Reply #309544 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Jokester: Not all contact is a foul. If refs dont interpret the rules how do they apply them? The AFL does not have an umpire review panel! NBL referees already do a rules exam every season.

Reply #309563 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

All refereeing is interpretation. It can never be any other way. We are subjective creatures in a world that is not black and white. No sport is free from the problems relating to interpretation, and some are a lot worse than basketball.

That said, some of the refereeing this season has been below what an objective person's par. Therefore, if things can be done to improve the standard, then they should.

Anyone notice that the Blaze have been playing great since Wortho hit the sidelines?

Reply #309564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only has he hit the sidelines but he has been away from the team as well. Up in Cairns I believe while the team pulled off a big win in NZ.

Amazing thing chemistry isnt it :)

Reply #309568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, it's definitely tempered my view of Wortho. Have gone from thinking this was the PF you pick to build around in the NBL to now wondering if he's a bit more picky about when he decides to step up.

Reply #309574 | Report this post

The Special One  
Years ago

I am with you SRT070. I totally agree

Reply #309674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps the league should look at less amount of referees and more money spent per referee?

Reply #309977 | Report this post

I read several articles on this topic but I found this one as the most informative and interesting. I have bookmarked the address to read it again. . I am also interested in information about Kookaburra Cricketand Kookaburra ball because it is my favorite brand in sports goods.You have done a good job!!!

Reply #326261 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754