Isaac
Years ago

Point guards in the NBL

Paulo Kennedy has this article on the NBL site about the importance of the point guard position and includes a brief section on the failings of the 36ers.

Is it really the point guard, or should teams wing it?

The proof is in the pudding - over the last decade only Wollongong, with Charles Thomas, has won an NBL championship with an import point guard. Darryl McDonald was the starter on the 2006 Tigers' championship team as a naturalised import, and every other starting point guard for the title winners has been a local.

If you look at the last three seasons the starting championship point guards have been Damian Martin, Adam Gibson and Nathan Croswell. They are all very capable players, but none of them are superstars, and none averaged more than 10.4ppg in their championship seasons.
From about 2006 the NBL changed. It became faster, more aggressive, more physical and more dependent on the three point shot. If you look at the teams who have been successful in that time they have all had one thing in common – depth, athleticism, speed and versatility in the 2-4 spots, with a plethora of players between roughly the 6’5-6’8 mark who can guard multiple positions.
The Adelaide 36ers are a team that simply hasn’t fitted the mould the past two years – Adam Ballinger not quick enough to defend the four spot last year, Jacob Holmes and Jeff Dowdell not athletic enough this year. Until they get more versatility and power into the frontcourt I think they will languish near the bottom of the ladder.
Full article

Before everyone jumps into "of course we need a centre" mode, I don't think that's what Paul is suggesting. Last time he and I emailed about this sort of stuff, he was proposing an athletic forward in the mould of Petrie, probably taking Holmes' spot. Paul, jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

As an aside, it would be interesting to see what the Blaze could've done this season if Petrie didn't get injured. He was averaging 15 and 8 when he went down, shooting at 66%. That was in under 28 MPG across three games. It's a small sample size, but the Blaze were 2-1 (close loss to the Hawks who were the dominant team in the first half of the season) in those games. Their two other opponents were Townsville and Cairns.

Topic #25036 | Report this topic

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree if we cant get Schensch id be happy to get Petrie or Wagstaff instead of Dowdell and/or Holmes, as even though they are undersized against most C's they would provide some interior defense, rebounding and versatile scoring, and some toughness/attitude.

With Point guards, as far as Aussie PG's go i reckon a fully fit/inform Bruce is only behind Gibson and Martin as far as Aussie Pgs in the NBL go, and a Bruce/Carter combo is about as good as it gets from Aussie pg combos, so i hope we can retain them both, obviously if we can get Gibson, Mills or Markovich go for it as they would be upgrades, but i dont think anyone else is better than Bruce, after a pre-season and fully fit playing like his rookie season/college career.

I think that a faster moving/free flowing offense would suit Bruce better than a slow overly structured offense, so i hope Mary releases the shackles a bit next season if Bruce is still here, i think the whole team would benefit from this also.

I agree with Paul fast moving wings and a aussie pg seem to be the way to go, say we Sign Schenscher (or Petrie or Wagstaff) at C id like to see the 36ers go after a athletic versatile 2/3/4 like a Tremell Darden in one import spot and the other go for an athletic Scoring 2/3 with a decent outside shot and the ability to carry his team to victory ala 2002 Willie Farley,(obviously if we cant get Schensch or someone we would need a import 4/5 who is athletic and provides a inside presence, Ira Clark mould) that along with say Bruce and Ballinger and a fast moving offense would be a good start to reviving the 36ers and atleast make us more exciting to watch and higher scoring, slow paced offense doesnt suit most of our players including guys like Johnson, Creek, Hill, and id say Howard would have been better in a faster/less structured offense, and Winder would have been ok as a SG/SF in a fast moving offense, he just wasnt a pg, i wish they tried him as a SG he did well there in the pre-season along side Carter when Devries was missing some games.

Reply #309280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article is hardly a revelation.

It has never been a big man's league. Not a big man's league in the sense of lumbering 7 footers who are one dimensional.

Today's Tigers struggled with it.
The Dragons that won it sometimes ran Worthington in the 5 because Burston was a bust - they had the two imports as well as Carter and Gibson.

NBL Coaches get a legit big man and crap themselves because they don't know what to do with him. Now, Perth and the Hawks are both "small".

Australia has always developed tough as nails guards. Recently think about Carter, Gibson, Martin and Robbins. Think Dellavedova. All tough and solid, not particularly dynamic but they get the job done.

As for the statement regarding recent NBL Champions:

" have all had one thing in common - depth, athleticism, speed and versatility in the 2-4 spots, with a plethora of players between roughly the 6'5-6’8 mark who can guard multiple positions."

Well, fuck me!! Isn't that the game all over the world? That's who it's played by - 2s, 3s and 4s between 6'5 and 6'8. Or was I mistaken in thinking it was played by midgets and dwarves?

WOW! Who is paying this guy to write this crap?

Reply #309284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above, I dont think the article is talking about whether it is a big man's league or not, rather that having mobile forwards (rather than a traditional Bolden, Ronaldson, Melvin Thomas, Scott Fisher type power forward that you used to find) and athletic shooting guards is more important than a superstar at the point. Not that hard to follow.

Reply #309286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace did OK if I recall

Reply #309291 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Regarding the article posted up the top, I'd like to see the point guards on champion teams in the 10 years preceding the last 10 years.
It's way to early in the morning to think about it but I reckon there were a few import point guards.

Reply #309311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

2000-1991: Grace (naturalised), Mee, Mee, Gaze, Tolbert, McCaffrey (sp.), Grace, McDonald, Gaze, Perry, Grace.

That was one of the points I was making in the article, the change that has occurred in recent times, but looking at that list their are still four guys who were role players for their team, one of them exceptional at it in Mee.

Reply #309326 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Paul where is petrie at with his injury? I heard he is off contract and will draw a lot of attention. Just haven't heard much thats all. He is clearly i feel nearly the most versatile player in the league at both ends of the court. Two of our most versatile players have been badly injured redhage and petrie. Would adelaide be in a position of finance to grab someone like petrie? It would be a great combo of petrie and ballinger. ballinger could focus on his scoring role and petrie could just lock down on the defensive end and take the heat of ballinger. Just wondering how he is going because i know i would and adelaide would love the way he plays every night.

Reply #309343 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Thanks Paul.
To use one of the favourite quotes floating around these days:
Is it the singer or the song that's changed.

Would Darnell Mee, at his peak, be good enough to get any of this year's teams into the final just by being on their roster?

Reply #309352 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My view is that you need a team that really complements each other to succeed. Despite having Penney and Bruton the last couple of years the Breakers fell short because they didnt have enough defensive players to complement those guys - Ronaldson, Rickert and Forman together werent the fit for a team wanting to win a championship.

Darnell Mee needed a team with offensive weapons that he could set up, and he was more than capable of covering for some teammates' defensive weaknesses at the other end. But he was not a guy who could be relied upon to put points on the board as a main scoring option.

As for Petrie, he has only just started walking again and last I heard still had a big limp. He surely would have been in for a big pay day as a free agent this off-season but the uncertainty about his recovery may temper that a bit.

I would certainly sign him if I was Adelaide as long as his recovery was on track. A few other teams will be thinking the same thing though I imagine.

Reply #309556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754