Anonymous
Years ago

Ron Howard released by the 36ers

36ers just tweeted that they have cut Ron Howard.

Topic #25042 | Report this topic

BMF  
Years ago

released...

Reply #309329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, please amend title - released due to injury, not sacked.

Reply #309330 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It was the right decision to release him. He would have been out for 4 of the last 6 games so might as well just develop the other players since the season is over.

Reply #309331 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Isaac - this thread wasn't up when I posted mine with the Adelaide 36ers' tweet.

Feel free to remove my topic.

Cheers.

Reply #309332 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

From the 36ers site:

The Adelaide 36ers have made a decision to release injured import guard Ron Howard.

Ron injured his ankle in Adelaide's clash with the Melbourne Tigers last Friday night.The club's medical staff confirmed that Ron could miss up to 3 weeks, ruling him out of 4 of the last 6 games.

The club will not be seeking a replacement for the 197cm guard who played 11 games for Adelaide averaging 8.8pts a game. Instead, the club is choosing to use his absence as an opportunity to further develop our young playing group.

"Ron has been a valuable and popular member of our playing group and we wish him well with his recovery and look forward to following his career with interest", Adelaide's basketball operations manager Richard Hill said.

Reply #309333 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

God i hate those politicly correct statements the teams make, everyone was extremely dissappointed in how poor Howard has been! No need to dog him, but jesus, lets face it, whos going to follow his career. Marty thats 0-3 imports now sunshine....

Reply #309334 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Fizzle you expect them to say something mean instead? Its not about being politically correct its about being professional.

Reply #309336 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

and being decent and nice!! he did his best and did some good stuff!! he may not be league mvp but i liked him!

Reply #309339 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

its a pity Majok wasnt still available, his interior defense and rebounding and athleticism would have made him a great fit alongside Ballinger (and Johnson) IMO, a bit like Tyson Chandler and Dirk in the NBA. He may be worth a look at for next season if we dont get someone like Schenscher or Petriew/Wagstaff.

Reply #309342 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Yeah yeah i know and they got to be seen to be saying the right things, im just blowing off steam i guess. 36ers arent very professional in lots of ways, too much of there dirty laundry gets out one way or another. They were not impressed with what Howard offered. He had pretty high props coming in.

Reply #309344 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Damn how many Imports have been "released" this season, must be some kind of NBL record?

Reply #309347 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Can't help but think.. so what?

Bit more time for the kids is good. It may have been great/worthwile(for development of the kids) if it happened much earlier.

To me it almost looks like a lucky accident the kids are going to get some development time on the floor, instead of being the plan.

Reply #309349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah but you will all still whinge when they lose

Reply #309356 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Punctuation and grammar - how do they work? Still waiting on that "Ignore Anons" functionality.

Anyway, +1 for Majok. We could use him.

Reply #309360 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

197cm guard?? Please

Try 187cm

Reply #309370 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Not so much when they lose but how they lose.

Reply #309371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As soon as I heard that he got dubiously injured (as someone suggested on the game topic) in that Melbourne game, I assumed he was done one way or another. Either made it easier for them or they'd spoken to him and "injured" sounds better on his CV than "cut".

Reply #309380 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I guess they weren't ALL Happy Days...

...but...

*thumbs up*

AAAYYY!

Reply #309383 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Isaac, i doubt his stint will even make it to his CV!

Reply #309388 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Unless it's a full season, you don't tend to hear about it in other leagues.

You'll just get the "A stint in Australia" comment when he's talked about.

Oh well, hopefully the remainder of the season validates somewhat that the need for an import isn't really required.

Reply #309391 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

so - does this mean that there may be some court time for little sammy harris ?

Reply #309397 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Addition by subtraction. Good news!

Reply #309398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why give Sam Harris a run? Not like we need size.

Why not just elevate Daly as having 4 point guards surely makes more sense than getting a Centre.

Reply #309400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harris is already in Victoria preparing for SEABL

Reply #309403 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

give sammy a go, lets see how we will play next year when we get a centre wack balls down to the 4 spot.

Reply #309407 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No more hiring over the phone, on Ch9 news tonite

Clarke- 'Have to go over, now and meet them, tell them what's expected.'

Clarke n Howard seemed virtually over about 6 weeks ago, although i mentioned that back then.

Reply #309408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok is a good shot blocker. He isn't a good interior defender or rebounder. Do people even watch games or just decide that some good blocks automatically makes you a good defender and rebounder?

Reply #309413 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Clarke- 'Have to go over, now and meet them, tell them what's expected.

I guess what he expects is a dummy who will be hired as a player of one style, then told to change it completely to run Clarks "game plan".

Goodluck to Howard I will laugh if he dominates somewhere else.

Reply #309414 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sorry Skud, I just don't see why you keep up this line that Marty misused Howard. Everyone has seen that he is a one trick pony. He has had plays run for him to come off screens where he consistently missed the shot, he misses wide open threes, he can't create off the dribble, he gets burned defensively and is not a good rebounder. The guy had plenty of chances and did nothing to help the team. He's lucky he wasn't cut weeks ago.

Reply #309416 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Beantown how do you explain that he was drafted into the NBA, to be dropped at the last minute if he is so shit. Bogut gave him a huge wrap.

Reply #309420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud,

a) Howard was never drafted by an NBA team he just did a couple of training camps with the Bucks & Knicks.

b) Just two months before the Sixers, Howard was cut by his Israeli team after just three games. Where he averaged 8.7ppg & 3.7rpg shooting 40% from the field, 36% on 3's and 60% on FT's.

c) Bogut also thinks all welfare should be banned, you take anything that guy says with a grain of salt.

d) Howard's stats with the 36ers for the season: 8.8ppg & 2.1rpg shooting 38.5% from the field, 33.3% on 3's and 65.9% on FT's.

Reply #309422 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Lets put it this way we wont be asking Bogut for any player recommendations .
Howard was very dissapointing and injury was fortunate to get him out to give more minutes to our army of guards

Reply #309437 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Skud, even if Howard had played in the NBA (which he never has) the 'he played in the NBA, he must be good' mantra just doesn't hold water. There have been so many NBA busts in the NBL it is not funny (Muursepp anyone?).

Reply #309440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke cant coach imports, expects them to play a refined role, welcome to the NBL Coach Clarke, Farley wins titles, Dunlap types dont.

Reply #309461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Farley won one title though I know that's not your point. Lisch, Redhage, Young, Darden - they haven't been freelancing types. Smith, Ere probably would be. Farley's championship was 9 years ago though and a lot's changed.

I wouldn't say that Goorj and Bevo are dissimilar to Dunlap.

On Dunlap, from the Nuggets profile on him when he was an assistant to Karl:

The 36ers posted a 59-33 record during his tenure and advanced to the NBL Final Four in 1995 and 1996.
That'd sound pretty good to a 36ers fan right now.

Reply #309464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

short memories

Reply #309466 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Agree Isaac.

That record does sound good.

Also, just on Dunlap, I think it was Rillie who credited the 36ers' immediate success under Smyth to Dunlap.

I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of if it wasn't for all the tough training under Dunlap then Maher, Rillie, Cat, etc would not have been the players they were.

When Smyth came in with his free lance offence releasing Dunlap's shackles, the results were back to back championships. Of course recruiting Mee and Brooks played a big role.

As good as the back to back teams were, you take out Mee and Brooks (who were arguably the best 2 players in the league) and we would have been middle of the pack.

You add a Mee and Brooks at their prime to even this 36ers team and we are contenders.

Not taking anything away from Smyth. He is by far the most successful coach the 36ers have ever had and he coached an entertaining brand of basketball that was good to watch even when we weren't winning championships.

Similarly, its not like Dunlap had dud imports either that didn't play a part in that 59 and 33 record. Robert Rose and Mark Davis made a decent duo and then later he had Brunson and Trimmingham. Dunlap was one Mark Davis shoulder away from a Championship and pushed some seriously stacked Goorjian teams in semi-final series down to the wire.

Just goes to show how important getting the right import combination is.

Reply #309468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree with skud. Marty Clarke didnt use howard properly and also didnt give him enough minutes. He will dominate elsewhere. I wish it was Clarke instead of Howard who was "released". While im at it, Clarkes rotations are terrible.

Reply #309469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nothing wrong with his rotations, new zealand use the exact same rotation system, problem is they have 10 good players we dont.

the biggest problem clarke has is he only has 1 player (ballinger) that would start at any other club, the rest would be bench warmers/not even get a contract

Reply #309473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with his rotations?? You say he uses the same rotation system as NZ, but as you say they actually go 10 deep, we dont, so why use the same system? He also continuously subs players at the wrong times ie. ninja hits 2 3s in a row, lets get him out the game now.

Reply #309475 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Stephon makes a good point, that if Clarke is like Dunlap, he will develop the young talent and it will pay off in the not to distant future, like it did with Dunlap/Smyth, as Isaac said we would all take Dunlaps record right now.

Remember Bevo didnt win imediatly, it was taking him a few years to recruit/develop and retain some young talent in sydney, had he stayed they would have got back to the playoffs in another year or so IMO, and it wasnt until he went to Perth and inherited guys like Redhage and added another young talent in Weigh to his team and 2 rock solid imports that he had his success and is now highly regarded, after year 1 im sure there were plenty bagging Bevo, so be patient with Clarke i think he will turn out to be a pretty good coach.

As Stephon said add 2 imports like Mee and Brooks to the current group and we would be looking much better right now, i think we just need to retain the best 6-8 of our aussies, add in someone like a Schenshcer (or best aussie or 2 we can get) and get 2 improved imports (pray for the next Mee and Brooks) and we will be in the mix nextt season.

Pity Howard didnt work out, im pretty sure he would have done a little better in a more free flowing system aswell, but he did basically replicate his israel stats so maybe we were expecting too much in the first place. I think we need to realise that if guys are only getting 8ppg in other leagues we cant expect them to come over here and get 15-20pts straight away, sometimes they are able to do with the right coach/system but as we have seen around the league with imports not many are doing that, and the ones who are probably average more than 8pts in their last stint over seas.

Reply #309480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Mee and Brooks to any team and they are instantly better. I dont get the point of saying that. Recruiting good imports to play under your system is a part of being a good coach. Even if he does develop these players, who is to say that they will stay in Adelaide anyway. I cant see Creek or Daly playing out there careers in Adelaide.

Reply #309486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like how Dunlap is often spoken of negatively in 36ers history despite taking the club to the semis or better in each of his three years and having a decent winning percentage. Tough city to coach in.

Reply #309487 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I thought Dunlap did a great job. Most fans would have been disgruntled of chopping the veterans of the team to focus on the youth squad but I'm certainly happy with the results.

I'm just annoyed at the lack of jerseys hanging up in the Dome. Don't know why they "un-retire" numbers for.

Reply #309492 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

And don't forget Isaac, had arrogance by the buckets load! FWIW I liked Dunlap.

Reply #309495 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Thanks to the people who are talking sense, well done!!
The other shit gets a little hard keep reading after a while.
You know who you are.

Reply #309497 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Would Jawai be a chance for the Sixers next season?

Would love to see a Sixers team comprising of;

C - Jawai/Johnson
PF - Balls/Holmes
SF - Import/Herbert (injury pending) or Hill
SG - Import/Ng
PG - Bruce/Carter
Development: Daly

Just for the record, I thought Dunlap was a good coach. As said he layed the foundation for Smyth and developed Maher into the player we all loved amongst other things.....he just left before HE got to reap the rewards!!

Reply #309500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone comparing Clarke to Dunlap? Dunlaps worst record while coaching Adelaide was 16-10 finishing 6th and in the three years he was here they made the gf once and the semis twice.

You can talk all day about how Clarke is laying the foundations for the future, but at the end of the day, his playing style and his choice of imports cost us this year.

Reply #309505 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dunlap was raised because of this anon comment:

Clarke cant coach imports, expects them to play a refined role, welcome to the NBL Coach Clarke, Farley wins titles, Dunlap types dont.

Reply #309507 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Clarke got two import shooting guards at the start of the season. I think that somes him up pretty well.

Reply #309509 | Report this post

JOKESTER  
Years ago

put a call in for the Fonz , Ralph and Pottsy

and keep Ron for his directing

the 6ers need all the help they can get

or maybe call the Globe Trotters, they put on a good show

Reply #309545 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Howard might have been OK in an up and down type team. But in a half court situation he doesn't have a good enough handle to be able to create his own shot, so he was limited.

Reply #309571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754