curious
Years ago

NBA D-League....overated?

Cant help but notice all the imports coming to the NBL from the D league (eg: howard, winder) with such high stat numbers and big wraps and then struggling big time in our league!! is the D league massively overated because of the letters NBA being associated with it!! .... or is the NBL just a pretty legit standard of competition these days with the reduced teams and increase in local talent??

Topic #25045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

i went to a d-league game in iowa back in '07. it was ten times better than an nbl game!

Reply #309359 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

then how is Ron Howard an all star in the D league??

Reply #309361 | Report this post

your mumma  
Years ago

These are some D League stats that may show some insights compared to how they faired in the NBL. I threw Patty in the mix for some relativity to what a fringe NBA player produces.

Gary Ervin 8.2 ppg 2.63 ass
Craig Winder 8.0 ppg 1 ass
Ron Howard 20.6 ppg 2.9 ass
Patty Mills 25.6 ppg 5.4 ass
Kirk Penney 23.75 ppg 2.25 ass
Patrick Sanders 13.88 ppg
Andre Brown 14.9 ppg 9.8 rb
Carlos Powell 22.1 ppg 5 rb 5 ass
Orien Green 16.8 ppg 5.1 rb 3.6 ass

looks to me that the D league numbers are similar to what the player produces in the NBL. Ervin is the outlier though. Although Winder did match him / better him in the preseason.

Howard look to have suffered here by not being on the right team for him.

Reply #309365 | Report this post

your mumma  
Years ago

and the NBL numbers for the above.

Sanders 14.6 ppg
Penney 19.6 ppg 2.4 ass
Brown 11.0 ppg 7 rb
Ervin 22.6 ppg 4.5 ass
Winder 10.1 ppg 2.5 ass
Howard pro stats not working.
Powell 22.64 ( adjusted by -20% for 40 min game) 6.5 rb 3.2 ass
Greene 11.2 ppg 3.3 ass 3.2 rb

Reply #309366 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

You need to forget the letters NBA. It distorts peoples opinion. Think people are expection NBA players to arrive here after playing D-league.

It's just another league.

Reply #309369 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Pfft; two completely different styles of gameplay between the countries.

Everybody knows that there is very little defence played in the D-League. Most teams are Run and Gun teams.

People who usually dish out assists over scoring in that league end up going nowhere. It's a scorers league; thus the inflated numbers on offense.

There are naturally going to be a few diamonds in the rough, but the D-League is definately fluffed up bigger than it actually is.

Reply #309372 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BM is pretty much on the money...I refer to the D-League as the "Me" League - run and gun with players only looking to inflate their stat lines in the hope of gaining a ticket to the big dance.

Reply #309375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is a higher standard than the D-League. Stat comparisons don't mean that much because over there players are all looking to "get there's".

The teams are also directed from above by their NBA bosses so certain players will intentionally get more minutes, more of the ball etc regardless of having been deserving of it if they are an NBA player coming down to the two's for a bit of a run.

Get used to seeing a lot more imports here being made up of D-League players though as most of them come cheap. I think the standard wage in that league is $20K so NBL teams can usually offer anywhere from 3-8 times that amount here.

Reply #309385 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yep. While we all see the NBA full of high caliber players and the D-League with insane looking scorers, keep in mind that the game is different here.

If someone like a Wade etc came to this league; they wouldn't play as well. I'm sure that they are talented enough to adapt quickly to our league style, but expect travels, offensive fouls etc. out the whazoo.

I've said before that the NBL is a lockdown league where most potent scoring comes from hustle or lapses in defence, not from the standard NBA "light 1-on-1" format.

Reply #309390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754