Bballfan
Years ago

Confirmed: Marty Clarke back with boomers

Don't know how he will handle both jobs

Topic #25113 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Some would suggest it will make little difference. I like the fact that we have a Boomer representative in the Sixers program now we need at least two more.

Reply #310390 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

If thats the case, god I wont bother looking up basketball at the 2012 London Games. Cos we wont make nothing. I bet a minnow team could beat them with Clarke running as manager

Reply #310398 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

& Marty Clarke gets a Boomers assts role. Brett Brown & his fantasy world are confusing. What about Bevo or Gleeson? Is he scared they might have an opinion & disagree with him? How can you be promoted when you are doing a terrible job? Why is Brown so infatuated with point guards? How about a 'bigs' coach?

Reply #310414 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

This could REALLY help us actually. He will see how a real coach does the job, and hopefully bring that back to Adelaide next season. He also might realise the value of a Centre!

Reply #310451 | Report this post

sheep stations  
Years ago

involvement with teh national programme will increase our profile and it is a good move

Reply #310510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny reading all the comments about Marty Clarke and his inability to coach basketball with Bigs.
Ask any past AIS players who played the 4/5 spot and they will tell you how hard it was working with Marty.

Bogut,Jaiwai,Schencer they all will tell you it's all about the small ball. Marty has trouble relating with them and developing them cause he aint got the tools or the personality.

The guards love him, but the bigs struggle bigtime with him

Reply #310521 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Same as Brett Brown! He focuses solely on point guards & wouldn't suprise me if he masterbates over them. He ran Patty & Gibbo as starters at the worlds which imo made us to small in the international game. Maybe he caused the split between Tony Parker & Eva...

Reply #310527 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the appointment of current Adelaide 36ers National Basketball League head coach Marty Clarke to the role of assistant coach of the Golden Star Australian Boomers national basketball team.

Clarke, who replaces outgoing assistant Shane Heal who stepped down from the position last week due to time constraints, will join head coach Brett Brown and fellow assistants Andrej Lemanis and technical assistant Mo Dakhil ahead of a busy 2011 schedule which includes the FIBA Oceania Olympic Qualifiers against New Zealand in September. The winner of that series will advance to the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Boomers head coach Brett Brown was excited by the appointment of Clarke, noting that he has already successfully held the position once before, and will hence be a valuable addition to his coaching staff.

"Marty's inclusion back into our staff is a natural transition. We appointed Marty as an assistant coach my first Boomers season, and then he had to resign due to the workload that his first year as head coach in Adelaide would demand. This was his decision; we are fortunate to re-introduce him into our staff once again."

Among his wide list of accomplishments both as a player and coach - these include a World Title at the 2003 Under 19 World Championships as an assistant coach, as well as 149 call-ups for Australia as both a player and a coach – Marty Clarke also served as the head basketball coach at the Australian Institute of Sport from 2003 to 2010, making him a familiar mentor to many of the current Boomers' squad-members.

"Marty has coached almost all of our core group of Boomers during his tenure as head coach at the AIS," said Brown.

"The players respect him as both a coach and a person and they are excited to have him back with us.”

Marty Clarke was equally excited to step back into the role, delighted that the opportunity had re-appeared after the difficult decision to step aside last year.

“It was a difficult decision to step away from the Boomers because obviously as a player or a coach, the thing you really want to do is represent your country,” he said.

“As luck would have it, I have an opportunity to step back in again.”

Clarke stressed the importance of the upcoming year for the Boomers’ program and the importance of preparing well for the New Zealand series to book a place in the 2012 Olympic tournament.

“At this level, the talent is probably similar across countries and it’s more about the ability to get them to play together; I think Brett has done a fantastic job of getting a commitment out of all of them and making them feel like they are all a valuable and necessary part of the group,” he said.

Coach Brown also stressed the importance of the Boomers upcoming program and said he was eager to have Clarke back on board.

“Our coaching and support staff are anxious to start working with Marty again during our critical lead up to our do-or-die series with New Zealand,” he said.

“Our preparation is ongoing and Marty's vast international experience and knowledge of our current playing roster is proven and needed. I am personally excited to have him back on our bench."

Reply #310728 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As per usual, I'm listening to radio 5aa sport-show, at the moment,
and they will talk to Marty Clake, tonite, about this.
(Sounds like it will be late in the show, after Tippett, Sheedy,Trigg.)

Reply #310990 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'The International season is Jul Aug Sep , as most are playing overseas, so I can do both jobs. Hopefully Bogut Mills Newley Injles will join in.
I wasn't really aware of the booing, nothing has come down to the team , from the board.
I'm concentrating on getting players focussed for the next game. Don't expect any changes at this time of year. Don't know anyone that's gone last to first.
The lack of success is due to not having a game breaker, like Ervin. DeVries played with injury for 8 weeks and Howard got injured, but they weren't game breakers. It's a matter of finding one, but the good ones like Newley and Ingles play overseas.'

Reply #311023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754