BALLER#3
Years ago

1 or 2 imports.

Because of the high talent level Australia is producing at the moment, at NBL standard. Is it necesary for two imports.

I think if you have good enough australian players, then you should really only need one import. You would be better off spending 350k on a player that is doubly good as a import you might be paying 180-200k on.

Would sixers be smart to go on this.

C: Johnson
F: Ballinger
F: Herbert
G: Import
G: Carter

6: Hill
7: Dowdell or Holmes
8: Creek
9: Ng
10: Daly

I think you would be able to get all of those players under the 1 mill, as all you are really doing is getting rid of shannon and howards cash and throwing it to a single import.

I think the above roster would be achievable or something similar to it, with the one import

Topic #25156 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The concept of an import is to add an extra dimension to the team that isn't there.

Unless there is a gap, no need to add.

Reply #311284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 very expensive decent import is the way I would go

Reply #311285 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes, one import is good.
Hopefully the $US-$AUD stays the same for next season, because it is very appealing for imports.

Essentially, $350k AUD is $350k USD.
That kind of money is very close to the NBA minimum for a 1st year player (473k USD).

Reply #311287 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would try to build my team with Aussie talent and then make a decision on how many and what type of imports I need.

Of course, if I already had a good import who wanted to stay I would sign him early as a good player is a good player, regardless of where he is from.

Reply #311291 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

With what the 36ers have recruited in 2010-2011, then spending the import cash on a very good Australian player would make sense.

Reply #311294 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

Without a doubt you need two imports. The Aussie talents is not as deep as what every one thinks but the real issue with having two imports is the excitement and crowd they bring in.
If we can get two good american imports then thats what the crowds come to see.
The young kids don't come to see Australians play, they come to see the Willie Farley's, Juliuis Hodge's, and Corey Homicide's play and entertain the crowd.
Untill we get two good american imports that excitement will never be back. Who cares if they aren't the best blokes, just make sure they can play.

Reply #311298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, good point though players with some NBA under their belts have come here and not exactly blown us away. Will Blalock, Orien Greene, Awvee Storey, etc.

Still, worth a shot going for one guy. It's a risk, but the same has applied with cheaper imports recently.

Reply #311303 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I think the first point of cash throwing should be at Schencher, bring him back to his home town and let him do what he does best. then yes i completely agree that we should put decent money up for a quality single import. that way johnson gets some experience against a proven centre and i think will benefit alot more from it, as currently he does some stupid jump shots that look hideous at the best of times. feel free to criticise that theory.

Reply #311307 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sorry, I'm going to suggest the 1 import slot and one quality local player. You'd be better off trying to lure Brad Newley back with that kind of money and get someone who's a lccal boy and who's seasoned.

And anyone who says he won't come back because there's better money over in Europe, has just answered why most of the good imports aren't here already.

Balls may be naturalized, but he's still costing the team that marquee money. So you're either going to tell him to cough up some cash to get some "quality" import players or the SOS will have to conjour up magical funding for 2 imports; and go out of the salary cap.

Only thing that's needed for us is a 2nd scoring option that's reliable. If you can get that locally, then don't look elsewhere for it.

Reply #311308 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sorry, I'm going to suggest the 1 import slot and one quality local player. You'd be better off trying to lure Brad Newley back with that kind of money and get someone who's a lccal boy and who's seasoned.

And anyone who says he won't come back because there's better money over in Europe, has just answered why most of the good imports aren't here already.

Balls may be naturalized, but he's still costing the team that marquee money. So you're either going to tell him to cough up some cash to get some "quality" import players or the SOS will have to conjour up magical funding for 2 imports; and go out of the salary cap.

Only thing that's needed for us is a 2nd scoring option that's reliable. If you can get that locally, then don't look elsewhere for it.

Reply #311309 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"The young kids don't come to see Australians play, they come to see the Willie Farley's, Juliuis Hodge's, and Corey Homicide's play and entertain the crowd."

This is just reciting the same old tired tripe.

Yes, imports often have a different attitude, a certain flair to their game, and this can really excite a crowd and entertain people. But to say that's all "the young kids come for" is just ignorant. You get a close game late in the 4th quarter with two good teams and it doesn't matter where the players come from.

Reply #311310 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I absolutely endorse the 1 import outside of cap rule, 2 inside cap rule. The team can do either.

Maybe we could see Roy Tarpley or Darryl Dawkins in 6ers uniform next year if that was the case.

Reply #311313 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Many of the successful teams in recent times have either had only one import or one of their two imports a role player - Perth, NZ, Wollongong, Townsville, Dragons 09, Kings 08, Bullets 07 - so I think you can easily do one import. But if you cant get the right local talent a second import is a good fall back.

Reply #311321 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bobby, agreed. Perth sold out their venue with a sole very vanilla import. Winning helps!

Reply #311322 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

36ers could use only one import although would they be better getting a centre import than a 2 guard?
Seems centres stay around and have been a bit more effective over the last season.

Reply #311324 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Vanilla Import love it lol!!!

Reply #311330 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

My approach would be to make a list of the available Aussie free agents at each position we need to upgrade our starter, in 36ers case just about everything except for pf, and rank them, go after the top player on the list and work your way down the list as required, obviously the price tag and points will drop a bit as you go down, after you get past your say 4th or 5th option, you would have to look at a import, or gamble on giving a young guy more repsonsibility.

eg for starting pg our list may look like

1 Mills (Dreaming i know)
2 Gibson
3 Markovich
4/5 retain Bruce/Carter combo
4/5 IMPORT

Say we missed out on our top 3 then we would have to consider if we need the import else where and therefore go the Bruce/Carter combo or if we go for a import at starting PG, then id rank the available imports with nbl experience ie Ervin, Williams and Ubaka, and if we cant get one of them id go for a fresh face.

Say we got lucky and got our first 3 choices of Aussies in each position and hypothetically (without knowing who is available) recruited, Gibson, Magden, Weigh, Schenshcer, id be happy to go with no imports and fill out the bench with our current players ie something like Carter, Herbert, Hill, Creek, Johnson. I know its highly unlikely we would recruit anything close to those 4 aussies but thats what id be aiming for and replace the ones we miss out on with imports. If we miss out on all of them we would need 2 good imports, if we get say 2 of them we possibly could go with 1 import, it all depends on our aussies and salary and points caps.

Reply #311333 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I assume the "vanilla" is referring to him being a plain and ordinary player. Similar to the description of "vanilla sex" middle aged men have.

Reply #311335 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i thought it was in reference to him being white?

Reply #311336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was just referencing Lisch's game. He's not a brash trash-talking dunker.

Reply #311346 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Throughout the 1990s there were around 14 teams playing NBL. All of them were Australian. Most had 2 imports.

In the 2000s, there were 11-12 teams playing, until 2008, when there were 10. NZ joined the league in 2004, which expanded the local player pool by including a second country. We started seeing teams playing with a high quality local line up and a single import and doing really well. e.g., some of Goorjian's teams. We also saw a successful strategy of playing 1 import for much of the season and bringing a second import at teh back end of the season to improve the team leading into finals. Smyth did this and recruiting Matt Garrison was a significant help to winning in 2002. This strategy has the advantage of not having to pay a full year's salary to the second import.

We now have 9 teams, with NZ still there. So the size of the local talent pool relative to the number of NBL teams has increased significantly - by around 80%since the 1990s and by about 30% since the early 2000s.

Given that situation and even though much of the talent is buzzing off overseas, the 1 import - or even no import strategy looks reasonable. History suggests it can be successful, if you build a good Aussie unit and recruit an import to fill a gap, rather than vice versa.

It also reduces your reliance on getting your imports right - 1 dud is better than 2 duds in your starting line up.

Reply #311351 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well said, I love the strategy of leaving one import spot open in case of injury, assuming you can get the local talent to cover that other spot of course.

Re available talent, also factor in how many more kids played basketball in the catchment times for this NBL generation (roughly 1990-2005ish) than before that.

Reply #311364 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

I would get 2 import shooting guards to complement the Aussie talent - Signed Marty Clarke

Reply #311385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754