Anonymous
Years ago

The Blaze's drinking culture

Last night's display was terrible and not surprising given the massive cultural problems at the club.

Speaking to people close to the team, I hear that there is a terrible boozy culture that exists at the club. The unprofessionalism is astounding really given these blokes are supposed to be professional atheletes. You can almost bet that you will see at least one player out at one of the Coast's nightclubs on any given night. And after a game it is almost accepted that the players are out at East until 3 or 4am. As a season member who puts money in to the club, it pisses me off to no end. Why should I keep putting money in to the club when these blokes aren't fair dinkum?

Topic #25162 | Report this topic

dingo  
Years ago

Great points, ive been saying this for years.

Reply #311398 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Proof?

Reply #311400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proof?

Joey Wright is their "coach".

Reply #311401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proof? Simply go out after a Blaze game to Moo
Moo and or East.

Or just visit any Coast nightclub on any given weekend!

Reply #311402 | Report this post

Falkman  
Years ago

Fairly certain that whilst these guys are professional athletes they are also...wait for it...PEOPLE! Pretty sure that when they're not on the court or "at work" they, like everybody else are entitles to do whatever they like.

Now, i may be no expert but i'm fairly certain that, even if you're a season ticket holder, you don't get any right to tell these guys what to do on their own time....or even on their work time for that matter.

Reply #311403 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Maybe a boozy nighclub 'incident' will raise the nbl's profile a bit. Keep boozin blaze.

Reply #311404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

happens everywhere, i know a heap of current and former 36ers players that liked the drink alot.

Reply #311405 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

While they have a right to do what they want, they aren't being the best players they can be if theyre out on the turps a few nights a week. Diet and recovery is extremely important to their fitness and it may explain some of their inconsistent form this year.

Reply #311406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they are people and can do what they like. But there is doing what you what they like and being professional. You want to be treated like pro atheles then act like it.

From what I hear it is so surprise that Ubaka and Demos have both improved this season after getting out of the Blaze good time culture

Reply #311407 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"You can almost bet that you will see at least one player out at one of the Coast's nightclubs on any given night"

What is wrong with this? I am a semi-pro ball player and I go out to town heaps, although I just don't drink or drink red-bulls.

If they are drinking that is another issue..however you never defined whether they are intoxicated when you see them..

Reply #311410 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think it's implied by the thread title. And if they aren't drinking, or just drinking red bulls, then who is supplying their gear! ;-)

Reply #311412 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

"Pretty sure that when they're not on the court or "at work" they, like everybody else are entitles to do whatever they like."

Try telling that to Fevola or Benji Marshall or any other sports professional. Or are you saying the NBL isn't on the same level..?

Reply #311418 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Maxx,
Don't put Benji and Fevola into the sam category.

1) Fevola was arrested, Benji wasn't (Fevola was arrested on charges of public nuisance and obstructing police)
2)Benji was clearly provoked..Anyone that called me a "black c***" would cop a few hits around the jaw.
3)Fevola has a history of misconduct..e.g. Assaulting the barman in Ireland and getting sent home, fined 10k for urinating on a nightclub window, flashing his genitalia at a women in a Qld park the list goes on.

If your going to make a point, make sure its right

Reply #311422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

original poster is that u jvg????? >.<

Reply #311424 | Report this post

dud  
Years ago

Fev was proven not guilty of the indecent exposure allegation so like ou said, if your going to make a point get it right.

Not defending Fevola as I despise him, but a fact is a fact.

Reply #311432 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

Ah woopdeedoo the players HAVE A LIFE! You need to get one! Its called being a HUMAN BEING! Are they harming you personally? Are they harming anyone else? Maybe their own livers and kidneys are coppin a bit...which Im pretty sure are none of your concern, so get off their back! FFS.

Reply #311434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joycefan from ozhoops taking more shit over here.
believe it ast your peril

Reply #311462 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

This is maybe 'cause after a game they usually have a day or two off training. So what they do with their free time is totally up to them. Anon who started this thread, you should give your tickets to someone else, we don't need fan like you in this league....This PC world has gone mad

Reply #311482 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

My POINT was right. The original point was that whatever happens outside of the game/practice should not have an impact on their professional life, but as you have also shown there are obvious some things that do.

Reply #311487 | Report this post

Blazin 1 up  
Years ago

Blaze boys do more than just drink... Hang around them for a while ;)

Some of those guys enjoy the Gold Coast to it's fullest extent.

However, each to their own. They are grown men running their own careers. Most of us, boared (pun) and lonely, would envy the mischief these guys enjoy.

Reply #311496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a pathetic thread. Ever club/team and every sport does this! If a team has a one game road trip to townsville and nothing for a week, what's the issue with a few beers at a club after? I see no issue with it.

I read in the paper the other day (they have a star tweet section) Wellingham from Collingwood tweeted...."i hope to make tramp bar tonight! We land at 5am........i should be right"

This is an AFL player, who are the reigning premiers who just beat West Coast in Perth and he was lining up going to a club on arrival back home at % IN THE MORNING! It happens everywhere.

Elite sport in this country.........Hell this COUNTRY has a drinking culture.

Reply #311695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any club that has James Harvey in the leadership group has problems.
If my memory serves me correctly wasnt he involved in the Ben Cousin saga in Perth.
Wasn't he investigated and tapes provided to prove he's mixed up in .................
James Harvey is bad news!!!!
He'd be the one driving this and setting a bad example.
Everywhere he goes teams fail.....so has the GC Blaze.
They have had great teams in the past if you recruit losers you become losers.
Even the owner and his pathetic son get amoungst the mayhem.....
Long Live the GC Boozers!!!!

Reply #311864 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Good call Anonymous about Harvey.

"Everywhere he goes teams fail"

He won a title with the Wildcats as I seem to recall.

".....so has the GC Blaze.
They have had great teams in the past if you recruit losers you become losers."

Seeing we're currently in our 4th season it's nice to know we had some great teams in our previous THREE SEASONS (aka PAST) before Harvey was recruited.

Only problem with this is that Harvs was one of the first players ever signed by the Blaze and I'm reasonably sure he had a bit to do with us making the playoffs in our first and third seasons.

Dumb post. No wonder you remained Anonymous.

Now where did I put my beer.

Reply #311877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of the drug saga in WA....

I admire the support for the Blaze but Harvey is a DUD!!!!

And it's a statement when you see he's one of the first to sign....Wasnt Scott Mcgregor the first signed???

Harvey is Bad News.......!!! Simple as that!!!
How old was he when he Won a title with Perth????
He was a gun junior and turned out to be a social drinker and party drug abuser.

Keep up the support....I like the Blaze just not loosers like JAMES HARDCORE HARVEY!!!!!

Rather than nit pick at crap admit Harvey is a Loser and USER!!!!

Reply #311902 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

"Rather than nit pick at crap"

Yes that is what I did and very tempted to do again, but it is too hard to type and hold a beer at the same time.

BTW if your various drug taking claims have any substance (pun intended!), how is it that we haven't heard any hints, blogs or tweets during the season, about positive tests or cover ups?

http://www.nbl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/BA_Anti_Doping_Policy_1.1.09.pdf

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-Doping_Program/WADP-Prohibited-list/WADA_Prohibited_List_2010_EN.pdf

Reply #311950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754