Big Ads
Years ago

Sixers v Hawks 13 March 2011

The end of the first quarter and no thread started yet?? - Boy, either fan morale is so low no-one cares to discuss the game or everyone is actually over in Wollongong, or should I say Purgatory, suffering the frustration of a season that hasn't ended or still hanging on to hope for an unlikely win.

Well the Hawks smashed the Sixers in the first five minutes but the sixers rallied back. Still, being down 22-14 after 10 minutes is not the best position to construct an unlikely win.

Lets hope the Hawks run out of energy after half time.

Topic #25167 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Half way through the second and Hawks lead by 10 (35-25). Wollongong shooting 50% from both inside and outside, Adelaide shooting................ Hawks are also easily leading the rebounding but being reckless with the ball.

Balls has 6 rebounds and 9 points after picking up 2 very quick fouls and sitting most of the 1st quarter.

Reply #311435 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

As near as I can tell, we went 7 minutes without a made field goal in the 2nd - 6:59 to 1:00. That's when the Hawks built a lead. Have come back a bit in the last minute or so.

Reply #311436 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Oops - 6 minutes...

Reply #311437 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Half time and Hawks lead 41-31 (19-17). Sixers offense disappears for virtually half the second quarter and were only outscored by 1 bucket!

Aw Man!

Reply #311438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ is 1 from 10 in 13 mins...Hmmm

Reply #311439 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

The sooner this season is over the better

Reply #311441 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Even the blxxxdy NBL radio isn't working, probably a blessing in disguise

Reply #311442 | Report this post

Noose  
Years ago

Sixers only lost to the Hawks by 27. (87-60)

Reply #311445 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Why did they only take 9 players when they have 2 games in two days.
Clearly they were not interested in winning, just get the season over.

Reply #311446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 27 pts that's pretty good for Sixers.

Reply #311447 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So having a look at the stats it would appear to me that the Sixers let the Hawks dominate them on the boards and didn't box out or close out on the Wollongong players.

Ok I'm hoping the boys simply held back for tomorrow's game.

Reply #311448 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah no radio so i checked out. Had a look at the score and i'm not surprised. Its sad that as a long time fan my care factor its pretty dead at the moment, and it seems i'm not alone.

Reply #311449 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Don't be harsh it is a three year plan. How pathetic

Reply #311450 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The 36ers should have had the advantage of facing a Wollongong team backing up from a tough win over the Gold Coast last night but it seems that they played their usual away game. Not looking forward to tomorrow night. I'm hoping we can win but they need to improve significantly if they want to avoid 2 wooden spoons in a row. Especially to a team that lost some 14 games in a row this season.....

I'm a big fan of DJ but 1/14 from the field, 3/6 at the charity line, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 turnovers in almost 22 minutes game time is pretty bad, even for the 36ers in the last 2 seasons.

Only 9 players played doesn't mean they only took 9 players on this weekends road trip. There may well have been a player or two that Clarke didn't use. Wouldn't be the first time its happened.

Reply #311452 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Wow, wow, wow and most of you morons want to get rid of Ballinger!

Reply #311455 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Hmmm...so Wollongong are playing for their playoff spot. They have a chance of sneaking into top 2 if they kept winning and Townsville faltered. Even if that wasn't there, they have 3rd place to play for - facing Townsville a much tastyier propositino than NZ first week of finals. And that's on top of needing to keep winning just to be sure of making the finals.

Stack that against what teh 36ers had to play for....okay, I can see how motivation might be a problem.

From previous posts a few people made the road trip this weekend. I'd love to hear what the game was like to watch, folks?

Reply #311456 | Report this post

Rose  
Years ago

Reply #311457 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

peter i think your forgetting about the wildcats

Reply #311458 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

think rose summed it up pretty nice, non event.

Reply #311459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah get rid of Balls. hahahahahaha
The most "knowledgable""crowd in the NBL.
Maybe those astute exeperts should look in here on the odd occassion

Reply #311460 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

my issue with Ballinger on this team is that he does not get enough looks in the post early in the offence. Worst case he kicks it out, most times he is going to get a decent look. To me his issues stem from playing out of position and the offence using a lot of high screens getting our bigs up near the foul line. Just get a legit center and half our issues go away.

Reply #311463 | Report this post

TL47  
Years ago

Balls should be cut... Balls has no Balls... Balls is a liability...rant rant rant! Balls is the only player keeping you lot from looking utterly discraceful. What a joke. On'ya Ballinger.

Reply #311465 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Ballinger would definitely be the first player picked.
We need a legitimate centre so he can play in his proper decision.
Unfortunately, we will probably pick more guards, as we have several times this year

Reply #311466 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Gotta be the worst coaching debut ever. And this idiot gets called up to the Boomers?? Clarke is a moron & the 3 year plan will bring no success & empty stadiums. Sack him now...

Reply #311467 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Nope a 27 point loss is disgraceful idiot! Balls is no good at his role just like nonone else is any good at their roles on this team either. Start again, no one on tho team I have any interest in cheering. Sad times.

Reply #311469 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

You're right Jacob. Maybe that's the secret of their success - slipping of people's radar! :)

Reply #311470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Johnson usually just shoot over defenders? Davidson had his number tonight.
Maher didn't look impressed to say the least.

Reply #311471 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Great job guys.......don't worry, 3 years to get it right. Bloody shame most of you wont be there after this year! Fantastic as always Marty.......shame you are there after this year!

But being the crazy fool that I am, I'll still get my two season tickets next year. Can't get any worse than bottom - but then again, if another team comes into the league, we could make it to 10th and go for the 3peat of the bomb shelter!

Reply #311473 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Guards be damned, this team needs height (and the scoring/defensive/rebounding) skills to go with it. A running offense isn't much good if the defensive end suffers because we get killed on the boards through a lack of a strong, TALL centre and good a couple more rebounding forwards who can step up and play strongly time after time when the starters are getting a rest.

DJ is a tall centre (6'11), but right now he's not ready to be a regular starter. He needs someone like Luke Schenscher or even Matty Burston to learn from. Until then, we either start games with an inexperienced centre or an out of position power forward playing the 5 spot.

Reply #311476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 7'0" centre goes 1-14 from the field?

Can this possibly get any worse?

Reply #311480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was at the game tonight. The 36ers were putting in an effort the entire game (I know you can't tell from the scoreline) but what they lacked most was shooters. Losing Ng, Herbert and DeVries has really hurt. Ballinger was the only one capable of making a shot and played a quality game but without much support. Bruce was getting looks and taking shots but missing. Shannon was OK. Johnson worked hard but had no luck with the refs - I was surprised at his FG numbers as he didn't seem to play an awful game or anything. It was a pretty intense game and the refs were letting a lot go, especially within the arc.

The Hawks' score cube only shows fouls, so couldn't easily tell who had scored what.

But no one this season has consistently looked a threat from long range and that was the biggest problem in this game. They worked to isolate Ballinger a lot and had more luck than the Cairns game.

The 36ers did take 10 players as Daly was there, but didn't suit up - not sure why. Reasonable number of 36ers supporters went over for the game and were acknowledged by the Hawks and fans.

Hopefully heading up for the Kings-36ers game this evening.

Reply #311491 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

lets not lose the plot -1 game where a player goes 1 of 14 -so what -shit happens as far as shots going down. What has been missing is running a decent offence and ball movement so that opposition has to work on D not just hold their spots while sixers bounce the ball in one place and then try and drive without the floor spread or D at least broken up.

So lets contain ridiculous comments-of which there may well be a few since most of you -like myself, never saw the game. I don't care whether sixers lose remaining games if they use the opportunity to run different things and use players in a way which clarifies future decisions about the team.

Some of the team are playing for their futures and a bad score-line may reflect things other than lack of effort.

Please moderate your predictable doom and gloom and player observations based on no observations.

I am looking forward to watching today's game. especially considering Kings were crap and with limited adjustment and moderate imports they have turned their season around- although of course they are still bottom.

BTW I think 1 D Johnson is probably due for a good shooting game ..... good luck to him.

Reply #311497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Tom daly not playing, has had stuff all court time since his great game against Sydney, Howard gone, no chance of finals, point guard no good give him a go

Reply #311502 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I agree with you Tom

Reply #311503 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Don't worry guys, Marty Clarke has it under control, its all part of his plans, its working beautifully! As a Bombers fan, it reminds me of Matthew Knights last year. With financial troubles, losing seasons, will the team be around for much longer? I hope so. Hope we can turn it round against the Kings, I hate to say it but I will not be holding my breath.

Reply #311508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Private ownership means teams are always playing for their future here. SA is basing its future on the Victorian model despite the huge difference in population and resources. Australia models private ownership on the US model with the same error inbuilt and missing the point that America has a huge audience for a national iconic sport, a ready cash flow through TV and cable and an enormous playing group.By the time B A get it right the horse will have bolted and the fat lady will have sung.
Australia has a fantastic junior program but it ditches its seniors and prays someone's mum or sugar daddy will bail them out.
If Australia is to become a force it needs to have its regions fund senior teams or the hit and miss of private ownership with little reward for the owner will reduce the league to a laughing stock.
While there are tax advantages to be had and Marino will tell you even bad publicity is publicity its hard to see a future for private basketball ownership in Australia and even harder to see it work in SA.

Reply #311514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see your agenda-driven ignorant whinge again anonymous.
could have at least thrown "zoning" in there for consistency though...

Reply #311521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1-14 from the field for a 7 foot centre is absolutely embarrassing no matter how hard you try to talk it down.

Reply #311522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

+/- for this game. Interesting to see that despite his poor shooting, Daniel Johnson was on for most of the key positive runs from Adelaide. (Excuse quick bias: Forman +36 in about 20 minutes on court.)

Wollongong

Larry Davidson (36)
Glen Saville (36)
Oscar Forman (36)
Gary Ervin (33)
Mat Campbell (18)
Rhys Martin (3)
Zac Delaney (0)
David Gruber (-2)
Tim Behrendorff (-6)
Tim Coenraad (-9)
Tyson Demos (-10)

Adelaide

Mitchell Creek (4)
Daniel Johnson (1)
Jeff Dowdell (-9)
Aaron Bruce (-10)
Rhys Carter (-14)
Jacob Holmes (-22)
Adam Ballinger (-24)
Eddie Shannon (-30)
Brad Hill (-31)

Reply #311679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put it to u that we will lose by 25

Reply #311741 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Actually, to be 1-14 from the field, and still have a plus/minus while on court in the positive, in a blow out loss, is a truly amazing effort. Just imagine if DJ could hit his shots as well!

Reply #311748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754