Jarred
Years ago

ABL Men/women starting 5's.

I thought with the season tipping off in less than 3 weeks (And a preseason tournament next weekend) it would be interesting to do starting 5 projections.

I'm not too sure about the player movements etc, so I can't contribute much but i'll try

Sturt - Daly, Ng, Holmes, Warbout
(I think Spehr can't play cos of college. I don't know who is 5th starter, Bauer? Klaosen?. I think Marcus ng is retired?

South - D. Johnson, Creek, Bruce, Hooley?,

West - Catallini, Dowdell, ???

North - Bond, Pero?, Mapunda?

Norwood - Webber, Grantham, Mathews, Howell?

Woodville - ?

Mavs - Hill?

Forrestville - Tucker, Harvey/Doyle?, Fildes,

Southern - ?

Centrals - ?

Alot of guesswork, try and fill in the gaps and make corrections.

I don't know the womens league that well so someone post their starting 5's too. And G0!

Topic #25176 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

catalini gave up after a week of training

Reply #311576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both centrals and southern have got an import so I am guessing they will be starting.

Reply #311578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And my info is none of those 4 will suit for South, especially Bruce who's off to Eastern.

Even if you had spent 3 mins reading the abl movement thread you'd have a better list then that

Reply #311583 | Report this post

warriors  
Years ago

men.

Eagles.

Tucker, doyle, sullivan, fildes, whenham .

Flames.

Webber, matthews, cooper, Eley, harbour, thompson, ottey, krause??

Lions.

Kollasch, frost, wilson. Parker, carlin.
Clarke, humphries,???

Woodville

Wilson, american?, eagel, blight, knight, reeves, birmingham, ??

North.

Bond, elliot, rowe, ????

Tigers

American, goodenough, hemmings, florence, ???

Eastern

Hill, madgen, bruce, breheney, ???

West

Spud, american, truslove, evans????

Reply #311586 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Woodville's American is Joseph, works at Wayville, just moved to Adelaide.

Reply #311589 | Report this post

lickity split  
Years ago

Forestville: Doyle, Sullivan, Fildes, Tucker, Whernham

Norwood: Matthews, Webber, Grantham, Thompson, Cooper

Centrals: Clarke, Frost, Parker, Carlin, American?

Woodville: Wilson, Birmingham, American?, Reeves, Knight

North: Elliot, Bond, Rowe, Brine, R. Carter

Southern: Goodenough, Oconner, Florence, Hemmings, American?

Eastern: A. Bruce, Madgen, Hill, Brehney, Brehney

West: Spud, Braithwaite, American?, Dowdell, Truslove

South: Boal, Hooley, Creek, D.Johnson, Pilkington

Sturt: Daly, D.Ng, Bauer, Holmes, Warbout.

Reply #311617 | Report this post

?????  
Years ago

likety split.

You gotta catch up brother , hooley now not eligible, Pilkinton gone to Woodville, brine not being cleared to north, gotta sit out season. Grantham gone from flames.

West is good
Tigers good
Sturt is good.
Eastern looks good.

Norwood now have Eley and harbour?
Clarke has not started a trial game for centrals all pre season.

Woodville won't start birmingham or reeves.

Reply #311619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

?????? you also got to catch up- south are under no obligation to clear pilkington as he was a required player and they have cleared their quota already. If they follow the nazis's at forestville they wont clear him until the end of the abl season.Creek and Johnson wont be around enough to make them starters-creek if signs with south will be lucky to play 2 games and I have heard Johnson is being woed by another club. Seriously South will be big enough losers without adding the 36ers losing culture to it

Reply #311627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You said tigers will be good?

If they have to start oconner they will struggle.

They've lost brandon (which could be good for them) .. but i think they wont get many wins this year - maybe next year when a couple of their better juniors are older.

Sturt might struggle in games when jacob isn't playing. Without Holmes they're extremely young and small (Warbout, Marriot left as the only bigs). Very talented line-up, but average age would be about 21.

I think Norwood, North, Sturt, West make the top 4.
Woodville, Southern, Centrals at the bottom.

Reply #311636 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spehr - college? Hooley - college? Carlin - college? (weren't these three part of the recent Emus squad? ) Any idea what colleges?

Reply #311639 | Report this post

?????  
Years ago

my five

Eagles
Norwood
Sturt
west
Lions

North
Eastern
Woodville
South
Southern

Reply #311649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats this Pre-season tournament looking like?

Reply #311651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does that mean brine and hooley arent playing u23s?

Reply #311670 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

As far as I'm aware the NCAA rules around Spehr, Hooley and Carlin playing have changed. That is why they are sitting out this season

Reply #311675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carlin will play, effects gap years only.

Reply #311677 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Explain gap year? is that the year after finishing school, if so isnt he in his gap year?

Reply #311678 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I don't see Forestville being at the top of the ladder. Norwood will be favourites with the addition of Hambour and Ely with Sturt behind them. I think Eastern will be solid and should play finals especially with the addition of Bruce to an already exciting group with Hill and Madgen.
South will rely very heavily on the two recruits in Creek and DJ especially without Hooley and Pilkington.
I think Woodville will be a big improver this year with the additions of Reeves, Birmingham, Blight and an American. I heard Pilkington tried to join Blight there but reading the above it may not happen.
I'm not that confident in West having an impact after losing Davidson, Bond and Molitor and picking up Dowdell and Braithwaite.
Centrals have lost Piddock, Reeves, Birmingham, Templeton and added another average American (from what I heard) and Frost, so I don't see them improving on last year's form.
Southern sound like they don't have a team left so my guess is they will dwell at the bottom, one American isn't going to help you win too many games especially not the ones they have recruited in the past!
My Prediction...
Norwood
Sturt
Eastern
Forestville
Woodville
West
North
South
Centrals
Southern

Reply #311696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon sean jennings has a tough job at the tigers, although they did beat centrals in a practice match the other week

Reply #311703 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

The Brad

your comments on the eagles are interesting considering they have smashed centrals, woodville, norwood, geelong and north in very recent practice matches.

they will be top 2 for sure.

your comments on centrals also interesting considering they have beaten north twice and woodville over the last 3 weeks. the loss to tigers was without 6 of their top 12 and they lost by 4.

Reply #311705 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I guess you need to be a little realistic though with some of those teams they have beaten in both cases. A few of those eams will have some handy inclusions from the Sixers or other NBL teams so you have to take those results with a pinch of salt.
I could be wron but I didn't think they had picked up many except for Rashard but had lost Riley, Arnold, DMT and Campbell (???). Andy always runs a tight ship so it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed in the top 5. Can you enlighten me with any roster changes they have had and who played well in those games.
How have certain players been going in these practice games?

Reply #311714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville have one of the best junior programs going around, so Andy gets the luxury of some of getting some great juniors step right up into the program.

Doyle, Tim Smyth, Charles Newland etc. All these boys have won a lot at junior level. Additionaly some other talented juniors from other age groups have played in the pre-season. Majok Deng for example who will help on the offensive glass, Trent Fildes returning, etc.

Reply #311743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gap year means 2009 finish

Reply #311766 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Blair will average 15 a game for Eagles this year

Reply #311770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle, Tim Smyth, Newland ... ? None of those names should be included when talking about why a team will by top 2.

Pre-season results (like forrestville beating woodville, norwood etc) aren't good indicators as very few teams have their full lineup. Having said that I think forrestville might scrape through to the finals.

I think west will be good, as I can see dowdell being the leagues best player (averaged 20/10 in SEABL). He's got a hustle game that will dominate ABA (not so much NBL).

1. Norwood
2. Sturt
3. West
4. North
5. Forrestvile

(Not sure of south adelaides line up yet. If they have DJ and Creek, I think they would replace eagles in the 5)

Reply #311820 | Report this post

Eagle's nest  
Years ago

The fact remains that Simmons has some very talented juniors coming through the ranks and there will be no suprise to see Forestville in the top two or three teams again. Add Rashad Tucker to the mix and they are going to be very hard to guard.

Reply #311840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you really think North will even make the finals #820. If Brine isn't released to play and with Hambour moving, Dallas retiring, Pero ???, will they have anyone who is a tall?

Can a team of guards and small forwards actually compete at ABL level?

Reply #311848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those eagle juniors never won anything.

Reply #311857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Technically no but they did come second at classics at one point :-)

Main point is that Andy has a great junior program backing him and it would be a suprised if they finished any lower than third.

Reply #311860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly a great junior program.

Most of his players have come from elsewhere. Like Doyle, Smyth, Blair, Wenham and Tucker.

Reply #311880 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

doyle smyth wernham & newland all played juniors for Eagles...

Reply #311884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah the old "Sturt" home grown mentality played a game of juniors, the must be home grown talent. Home grown heroes if you will!

Reply #311891 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

Nope jusr stating the facts...Nothing more nothing less...

Reply #311906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But all played somewhere else as well.

All moved in 18s I believe . And were developed elsewhere.

Reply #311909 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

So players only develop before U18's do they.

Think Ninnis, Longley, Bogart just to name a few may disagree..

Ninnis made his first state team at U20's then went onto play for the boomers...

Glad he didn't give it away once he finished U18's thinking that was it for his development..

Reply #311910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

juniors your a little defensive....maybe its your team taking on the said players that have moved over the years. And thats 3 names out of how many thousands of kids that have gone on to something after 18. Ninnis from the 80's Longley from the 80's and Bogart & Schenscher from 00.
Most players have a better chance of winning the lotto then to develop into awesome players after 18

Reply #311913 | Report this post

Eagles realist  
Years ago

Andy doesn't have that many juniors to chose from I don't think. There junior program is not that strong. And any sucess that Andy has had as a coach certainly has come with almost no help from their junior program! hence why he has to recruit all the time.

Yes Doyle is a good player, but he started last year so they don't gain much there.

Tim Smyth is not at ABL player, neither is Jordon Robertson. And considering they are losing Gerlach and Arnold, that is a massive loss in the 2-3 position!

Fildes back will help out there alot, although he will have to play the 4 a bit a think.

Charles Newland is certainly no Dougie. He is worse in every area especially defensively. I would expect Newland to play very limited minutes. Wornham if fit will give some rebounding presence.

Tucker is a massive in, but they lose the reigning Woolacott medalist so how much are they gaining there?

Harvey has been injured all pre season so who knows how he will play.

The eagles are going to need big seasons out of Brad Haydon and Nic Blair cos these 2 are really the only depth the eagles have.

Having said that Andy will have them playing finals...probably finish 2nd-4th(mainly because I think most teams have gone backwards since last year), but with really only 6 or 7 legit ABL players if they are unlucky with injuries it will be a different story.

Reply #311918 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

Anonymous not defensive, again just dealing in facts...

Realistically how many players make regardless of whether they develop before or after U18's.

May also like to add Bradke to the list from the 80's before we move through to the 90's...

Reply #311926 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Strewth, I never knew Bogart played basketball. Man, now that's old school.

Reply #311929 | Report this post

Years ago

#848. Hmmm they do seem small. I think just the addition of rhys carter alone will makes them contenders, but yeh by no means a lock for finals.

I also think there is far too much pro-forestville talk here. They finished 4th last year was it? And they're a slightly weaker team in a tougher league. Saying you would be surprised if they weren't top 2 is pretty outrageous. I think they'll be around the mark, but by no means a top 2 team.
Theyre pretty weak at PG with Doyle and Harvey .. I see both players struggling to run their team and not turn the ball over when they come up against the top tier guards in:
Carter
Bruce
Daly
Webber
Matthews

Reply #311945 | Report this post

@Juniors  
Years ago

You stated those guys all played juniors for eagles .. Yet you then acknowledge they moved to your club in under 18s.

Junior basketball is u10, 12, 14, 16, 18.
Under 20's (now Under 23s) isn't considered Junior ball.

They played 7 years of Junior Basketball elsewhere, and then 2 years of Junior basketball at forrestville and you wanna say they played juniors at forrestville?

Anyhow, Sturt is far and away the best junior club. Look at upcoming Grandfinals this friday. Every div1 Junior team (under 10 through to under 18), boys AND girls for sturt is in the grandfinal. EVERY SINGLE DIV 1 TEAM. I think for the first time in competition history. Not to mention Sturt won the Under 23 Grandfinal last week.

Reply #311946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I just want to vomit.
And of course they have made the Div 1 finals because they have propped up their weak program by filling their holes with talented kids developed at other clubs. This will now generate into other clubs arent working as hard as Sturt....your right other clubs cant feed juniors and parents that much bullshit

Reply #311955 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Eagles have a guy at point called Tucker let's see the above list guard him

Reply #311957 | Report this post

pallas78  
Years ago

Ummm, @Juniors, your point is valid but your last paragraph makes your argument look a bit silly. Every single Sturt Div 1 team is not in the grand final - U18 Girls didn't make it. So all that "first time in competition history" stuff was a bit irrelevant. Nonetheless, a great effort by Sturt overall.

Reply #311959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tucker at the point?

Reply #311961 | Report this post

Juniors  
Years ago

@Juniors

Yes coz that is the facts they did play juniors at Eagles...

Not sure how else to put it to be honest...

Reply #311965 | Report this post

Tiger Woodduck  
Years ago

If you want to look at Junior talent of each Club look no further than the Under 23 Competition as this showcases 5 years of Junior Development.

Sturt were the standout which is no surprise given their success at Junior level over the past 8 years but Southern were the standout as they have won nothing of note in that time yet finished 2nd and beat Forestville 3 times.

I know for Southern for the exception of 1 player in that team all others started at the Club as a Junior.
The 1 player did start but went to North for a while and is back this year.

Can that be said for all other Clubs?

Reply #311974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't tucker a 6"6 two/three guard not a point guard?

Southern were impressive in the Under 23's, but other than that I don't think they have many good junior teams

Reply #312074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers u18 are strong just missing summer finals, beat sturt convincingly and beat forrestville twice.

Tigers may struggle this year but if these kids keep improving they could have a very good senior squad in 3 or 4 years time

Reply #312088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs:
PG AARON BRUCE
SG BEN MADGEN
SF BRAD HILL
PF SHANE BREHENY
C JORDAN DODMAN

MUCH LOVE XXX

Reply #312120 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

wow - mavs look good

Reply #312127 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Dodman not playing , bench stinks

Reply #312131 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Tigers always say they will have strong squad in 3 to 4 years time.... Same story every year. Tiger can you say that with regards to your womens team?

Reply #312154 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Umm...how could the Mavs starting 5 have 3 NBL players?

Isn't there a rule about only 2 restricted players per team.

Or did I miss Bruce's NBL contract getting torn up?

Reply #312161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce didn't play enough games at the cut off point so is not considered a restricted player.

Quite convenient for the Hill coached Mavericks team.

Reply #312163 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Brad hill playing/ coach nice way to pay more money and not have it count to salary cap

Reply #312169 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I was pretty sure he had played enough games for that rule to take affect and i'm sure he averaged more than 10 minutes across the season, so my thoughts are he would be a restricted player.

Reply #312170 | Report this post

Trust me  
Years ago

He isn't a restricted player.

And by restricted I mean as a ABL restricted player, he is of course restricted by his low basketball IQ.

Reply #312176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm how many playing assistant coaches can you have. I am sure they are all worth a lot of money!!

Reply #312177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does anyone know what sort of teams will be playing in this weekends pre-season tournament? Will teams field their best sides or is it a lot of young players? Also how much does it cost to watch?, might be interested if some decent games wee played!!

Reply #312181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come all teams are not participating?

Reply #312184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the women only
Sturt, West, Norwood, Woodville, North and Southern

Apparently it is too big an impact on some coaches social lives to arrange a team for the weekend.

Reply #312199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or a team doesn't want to play 4 games in 2 days, especially with the season starting in 2 weeks. I believe it is free entry for spectators

Reply #312200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes free entry

Reply #312205 | Report this post

yo  
Years ago

So what if their social life impacts in this instance? Life can't be all about basketball when you're getting paid peanuts. Get over yourself.

Reply #312206 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

"Trust me" surely you can give some evidence to stand by your statement?
I did look into this a while ago but from what I knew the cut off was round 18 of the NBL season and if you had played 4 games by that round then it was based on your average minutes. Now Aaron played 7 games at the round 18 mark and from my rough calculations has averaged more than the 10 minutes (25% of game time) to become a required player.
Therefore according to the By Laws up on the BSA website he is classified as a "required player".... I would therefore like to know what details you may have...

Reply #312208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know the technical details but it is common knowledge within ABL circles that Aaron just missed the cut-off. Granted details on BSA site may be incorrect.

Call BSA and they will confirm he is not restricted. Alternatively wait to ABL season when Eastern suit Madgen, Hill and Bruce.

Reply #312209 | Report this post

Trust me  
Years ago

Will add, you seem quite in the loop on a lot of things "The Brad" but trust me, Bruce is unrestricted.

Reply #312210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad,

I see your problem. You are referring to the By-Laws. Everyone knows these can and are interpreted the way it suits BSA!!

Reply #312218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia make the decision not BSA. Restricted player rulings therefore apply to all second tier leagues equally.

Basketball Australia calculations have decided Aaron Bruce is not restricted.

If you disagree, take it up with them.

Reply #312223 | Report this post

Factfinder  
Years ago

@Juniors -

if your going to get stuck in so bad about Sturt being in every Div 1 game... Get the facts wrong because you are wrong.

U18 girls Div 1 - Eastern v Norwood

.......... Nuff said

Reply #312232 | Report this post

Rules R Rules  
Years ago

The Brad, cut of is not as at round 18 but in early Jan.

Bruce at the cut of had played 3 games but needed to play 4 to be considered under the Restricted Player Rule.

He is therefore unrestricted...

Reply #312283 | Report this post

I know that Sturt won't have their best team this weekend. No Darren, Jacob, Daly (sixers wouldn't clear him to play)

Reply #312337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodman is playing..... and Mavs finishing top 4?

Reply #312349 | Report this post

Phobos 44  
Years ago

If the way that Mavs team has been organised just the biggest load of cheating possible.

1. Player coach while a previous coach sits on the bench. Great way to cheat the salary cap.

2. The bench coach is the same person who will be clearing players from the 36ers to other teams. I wonder how many 36ers will be cleared in the first couple of rounds that are playing them?

3. Funny how the person who does the contract negotiations gets a player from the 36ers playing for his team. And how many other clubs were after them and told that sorry they can't have him.

4. I wonder if this team misses out on finals, if all 36er players will not be allowde to play due to "pre season" reason, and if that will change if they are in the finals.

Any one got any other.

I hope all the other clubs boycott future 36er events.

Reply #312363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #312368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems both clubs continue to have major conflicts across the board and they keep adding to them.

Maybe they should focus on their teams and the fact they're both terrible instead of trying to control everything below them as well.

Just an idea.

Reply #312373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure dodman has gone to football he has been looking a a few club more money in football that bball. it would have been great if all sides played this weekend.

Reply #312396 | Report this post

wayville tourney  
Years ago

I saw a couple games at wayville today. Decent standard. Norwood and sturt should play in the grandfinal tomorrow (5.40pm wayville) as both are 2 wins zero losses. I think Norwood will win because theyre running with almost a full lineup whilst sturt are pretty depleted.

Reply #312399 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Let's get one thing clear, I have no problem with Aaron playing at Eastern or anywhere for that matter. I think it's great for the league to have someone of his calibre playing locally. All I was doing was going by the Basketball Australia By Laws on the ABA central conference (which we are not even a part of anymore!) website. You will clearly see that rule number 7.6 States that "The date used to calculate available court time shall be round 18 of the NBL.."
Now if Eastern have somehow gotten around this then good for them. If Basketball Australia have stated Aaron is not a restricted player then may be they need to read their own By Laws!
Maybe if they are happy to change that rule for an Eastern Player they could convince Larry to change the Rookie rule for another one!

Reply #312423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Brad

The ruling came out well before Eastern were planning on talking to Aaron.

A document listing every NBL and WNBL registered player was sent by BA to State Associations and then on to every club in the competition.

Bruce was expected to sign at South due to Horsham, brother and Creek connection. But South lost interest and with Hill and Hill taking over up at Barker things changed quite quickly.

There was nothing dodgy going on from BA or BSA. I would however question why Bruce is going there and from what I've heard its all about his NBL future and nothing to do with the Mavs.

Reply #312431 | Report this post

wayville tourney  
Years ago

Men: Norwood defeat sturt in the grandfinal by 20 odd. Close in the first half, then blew it out.
Best for norwood: Jennings, Ely, D. Webber(somehow)

Women: Sturt beat norwood in the grandfinal, though I think the original grandfinal was Sturt vs West, but because they had already played each other they agreed to change opponents - so bit of an irrelevant gf.

Reply #312463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you guys are clowns. who cares just play the game. Good on to the team who signs decent players because its about winning.

Reply #312612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i agree man just toughen up people and play the game

Reply #312763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754