LC
Years ago

2014 FIBA World Championships for Women

The 2014 FIBA World Championships for women was awarded to Turkey overnight.

Turkey will host the 2014 FIBA World Championship for Women after getting the nod over Australia for the honour.

"We had two outstanding bids, with both countries doing an amazing job of giving the board very good reasons to believe they were very capable of hosting the event and having it be a great success," said Baumann.

“The quality of the two bids is testament to the growth of women's basketball.”

Turkey hosted last summer’s FIBA World Championship for Men.

FIBA Story

Topic #25178 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Thats a real shame. However Turkey seems to be an emerging basketball nation for women so maybe a good call was made. The disappointing thing is that there is no rotation of championships. FIBA men and women were held in Europe last year and both will be held in Europe again in 2014, along with the olympic tournament in europe in between.

Reply #311593 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree on both counts HO.

Reply #311596 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Can't FIBA get out of Europe for International Events unless the IOC forces them out with the Olympics. Really I think they should make a rule a bit like the Soccer (Football if you like) World Cup where a continent can't have 2 World Championships in one year (for men and women) and not aloud to have 2 Men's World Championships in a row, same with women's.

Reply #311597 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

JCK one of the problems is that the infrastructure is just so limited and to date core regions that have been prepared to invest in big football infrastructure have not shown a willingness to do the same for basketball.

I cannot think for example of anywhere in Africa where you would have the facilities or support for a mens world championships and cannot think of that many places in Asia outside of China and Japan either.

A mens worlds will not come here in our lifetime, and neither will a football world cup.

We have a shot at the women's in 2018, and as China were a bidder for 2014 mens I would be surprised if they did not bid again.

Reply #311601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very sad we would have run a great tournie! and i agree FIBA should learn that there are countries outside Europe!

Reply #311602 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Boooo!!

and right after Turkey just f***ed over Diana Taurasi with the false doping accusations, which also cost Penny Taylor the remainder of her season, including a large contract and a very good shot at a Euroleague title.

Not happy Jan.

Reply #311612 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

The door and the purse is wide open for Taurasi to go back which she will next season. As for Penny, it was her own emotional decision that cost her not only the season but some reputation too.

Reply #311613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I very much doubt Penny's rep has been tarnished by this.

Reply #311615 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

very disappointed as was planning a holiday around this in melbourne - i hope they re-bid

Reply #311623 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

If anything, Penny's reputation has been enhanced by the stand she took when she put principles ahead of money.

I guess we'd have to now be a strong chance for 2018 (assuming the interest in bidding is still there in 4 years), but it would have been nice to have the WC's on home soil while Penny & LJ were still playing :(

Reply #311625 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

this is not any women's competition you are used to see. This is where millions of $'s are invested to win and it is not professional to leave your team because a teammate is caught doping (which was the case when she left).

Reply #311641 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Her teammate wasn't caught doping. Her teammate was incorrectly accused of doping, and she knew it.

Reply #311647 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Would we (Australia) have a chnace if getting thr=e mens comp?

Reply #311666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754