anon
Years ago

36ers Team 2011

Seems that talk has turned to 2011 / 2012
who are the players both within state league worth condisering and who are the players we need to target to improve.State players as insurance or dev for the rain days ahead.
obviously to rebuild we need to look far and wide - would the big JK from sydney be on top of the list to build a team around.

Topic #25186 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is possibly the stupidest thread...

Why would Khazzouh leave the Kings???

He is THE MARQUEE NAME in the MARQUEE TEAM in the NBL. He is not going anywhere, certainly not sleepy Adelaide

And WHO THE HELL (in a lesser standard of basketball) could ACTUALLY help the 36ers win games in the NBL next season? They need to be looking out overseas for stud imports and for guys that can get it done at a high level, not guys from lesser leagues.

People speak of Adelaide fans being knowledgeable, but some of the crap being spouted on here lately is just amazingly narrow minded and short sighted.

Reply #311727 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Just to be clear, that's a no for Khazzouh?

Reply #311730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's the only King with a multi-year deal too. I can see them locking up Cooper (maybe Dickel too if he wants to play on) and Madgen before free agency as well. Hard to say on Knight and Dann. That would leave guys like the imports, Janev, etc for other teams to consider - not what we need. Even if they didn't keep Knight and Dann, I don't know that anyone should rush to grab them in trying to turn a team around.

Reply #311734 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

sorry to be so dumb agent 27 but talent is limited in NBL pool - so who do we target to tur fortunes around.Stud imports - i might be stupid but i know we dont have dollars to be in the stud field. surely clarke is right with looking inwards o local talent interstate or otherwise newley ingles magden all were local talent - so dont be condesending about local home grown

Reply #311735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the whole fucken thing is shit they just need to get rid of every one and start clean

Reply #311739 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

36ers need to focus on Big Luke. He has a history of turning programs around and would make a big difference.

Hodge would be great addidtion but cannot see SOS wanting him whihc is fair enough.

Reply #311745 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I regret reading through that.

Reply #311746 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Import / Johnson.
Ballinger / Dowdell.
Herbet / Hill.
Massingale / Creek.
Carter / Bruce.
D/P: Daly.

Not sure how that goes in terms of points.

Surely Massingale is worth the punt.
Already in Australia so will take less time to adjust, plays the 1&2 and i'm assuming he won't break the budget.

Knox 2010: 25ppg, 6rpg, 2apg.

Reply #311762 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

yep exactly what we need a point guard who gets 2 assists per game in SEABL
FFS

Reply #311769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Clarke...that is a start

Reply #311771 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

For me Schensher is everything. On and off the court. He's 7 foot something with red hair for crying out loud.
People would think sixers everytime they see him walking down the street.
If I was Beaumont Tiles or some such sponsor, I would like that instant association.

By the way can we have Luke open our new store in the city.... etc.

I like him but I'm not his biggest fan. I don't think he will get to a Bradtke level but he brings so much to the table and i think the rebuilding process would go much quicker with him on the books for three or four years.

Reply #311774 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

KB3, the bloke is a scorer, SG that plays the PG at a pinch.

If you actually read the line up I put forward, Carter & Bruce were the PG combo.

Reply #311780 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Your kidding yourself if you think there is enough talent running around in state league to help this squad. I think that's half the problem, picking players from the local league.

There is talent running around in SEABL, and that's the first place they should look.

Reply #311781 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

One question, take family out of the equation (and lets be honest about that, he's lived away from Adelaide for quite a few years now) why would Schenscher leave Townsville and come to Adelaide??

Is leaving a playoff squad to come to a squad that hasn't seen playoffs for a while enticing???

The 36ers roster is pretty thin. It's not like there is a Wortho or Penney to play alongside eith.

Is Marty Clark enough incentive to return to Adelaide for????

To be honest, I'd play for less cash in Townsville if my other option was Adelaide (when comparing the two squads and lifestyle).

Reply #311782 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

My first choice team is

Schenscher/Johnson
Ballinger/Creek
Hill/Herbert
IMPORT (Ere type)/Bruce
Gibson/Carter/Daly (DP)

Johnson would be our back up for both Schenscher and Ballinger,

only use Creek at PF in a few 'small ball' moments,

Creek, Hill, Herbert play the SF minutes,

IMPORT (or someone like Weigh) to play 25+ at SG backed up by Herbert and Bruce,

and a PG rotation of Gibson, Carter, Bruce.

To me thats a well balanced team.

Inside scoring with Schenscher and Johnson,

Leadership with Gibson and Schenscher, these guys are well experienced, and are winners!

3 pt shooting with Herbert, IMPORT, also Gibson, Bruce and Carter are all half decent 3pt shooters,

Defense and Hustle with Carter, Gibson, Herbert, Creek.

Inside Defense is still not totally fixed but having 2 of Schenscher, Ballinger, Johnson at all times means we will atleast have the size to improve in this area. Schenscher usually doesnt also get totally killed in this area either.

Reply #311783 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

TR - Marty Clarke is the reason he didnt play for 6e4rs this season, cancelled his contract, why would he then turn around and come back whilst he is still coach?

Reply #311786 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Dont be holding your breathe on Schenscher people, just not on the cards. After last seasons 'recruiting drive' and now his awesome form.

Reply #311788 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Anon, Fizzle and TR. There is barely any chance we will get Schenscher. For us to get him we would have to offer him a 3 year very lucrative deal, Clarke would also need to get down on his knees and apologise for not selecting him in the first place and then Schenscher would make Clarke wear an apron and make him do his washing and dishes for a few months and then maybe he will consider playing here again.

I can see Clarke's speech to him "Look luke the reason we didn't want you to play for us this season is because this season it didn't matter about wins or loss's. It was about building a foundation so that there was no possible way for us to do any worse and oh did we achieve that! ;) Anyway Luke there is only one way up from here!"

In all seriousness why would he come here when Clarke didn't want him? Even if we offer him good money, Crocs will match that and I'm sure he would rather be there in a playoff team rather then play for a coach that has proven he has no idea how to coach in the NBL.

Reply #311791 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Reckon there's more chance of Luke becoming a Sixers dancer than a Sixer in 2012

Reply #311794 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Even if he doesnt come, we need to atleast make him the first priority, offer him a good contract at the start of free agency, as you never know if you dont ask.

Reply #311795 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"you never know if you dont ask"

Yep, I had a mate like that. He used to go to the pub and was very direct with all the women folk. He reckons for every 100 knockbacks, he got lucky once.

Reply #311803 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Well a past criticism of the 36ers was they didnt show enough interest in the local players like Newley, Ingles even Schenscher and i remember the bagging they got when Bradtke after he had signed with the bullets said on talking hoops that he was thinking Adelaide or Brisbane, but Adelaide never called so he went to Brisbane, the 36ers just assumed they couldnt afford him so didnt bother asking, and even if they couldnt, they could atleast offer him the best they can and leave it up to him.

If i were the 36ers id be giving Schenscher plenty of 'love' and offer him his asking price and possibly 10-20% more than the crocs offer him to see if we can entice him over, no harm in trying. Id do similar to Adam Gibson and Stephen Weigh, and if we can get any one of those guys we will be better next season and for the future. I personally hope we spend 80% of our cap on our starters and leave most of our current players on the shelf until we have signed the starting 5 and then offer them the back up spots.

Reply #311807 | Report this post

Lenny Kravitz  
Years ago

Why are Adelaide fans on this board so super keen on the idea of re-recruiting Schenscher??

Local boy and recent form aside;
He has chosen NOT to play for Adelaide 2 seasons in a row. Last season he went west to the arch enemy and this season north to Crocodile country.

Is it a similar case of wanting the ex-girlfriend back who dumped you twice?

Reply #311809 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Lenny, I suspect it relates mostly to the romanticism associated with fielding a championship team that comprises mostly local players and two imports.

South Australian supporters of basketball like to see local products do well on the national stage but it hurts like hell when they do it with interstate based organisations.

At the moment a common belief amongst most sixer supporting posters is that the team lacks a true centre. Schenscher is the only locally born player who currently fills that position as an NBL starter. It is the same reason why Ingles and Newley are also referenced as hopeful recruits in terms of small forward and off-guard positions, heck some people were hoping Oscar Forman would come back and fill the power forward role.

Reply #311812 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I should also add that heaven help the local players if they cannot help deliver success. It can be a bit of a double edged sword.

But back on topic how cool would it be to see the 2011/2012 Sixers team with

Schenscher/Carlin
Forman/Ballinger
Ingles/Hill
Newley/Ng/Madgen
Import/Daly

Probably too expensive and wouldn't fit within the points cap.

Reply #311815 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

If Clark recruited Schenscher he would probaly end up trying to play him as a Point Guard, can have the best players in the league I doubt we will win with a Stubborn Mule Coaching them

Reply #311816 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big Ads, I think the SA factor is part of it, but let me tell you the way I think about it, because I reckon some others might have a similar view.

I actually don't think Schenscher is the ideal centre for the NBL style of play, nor does he fit the way I think Marty wants to play. I think the Sixers would be far better off with a Khazzouh, Davidson or Crosswhite. Problem is, there is no reason to believe we can get any of them. Schenscher, on the other hand, is from here and has played for the Sixers before.

He is also a good player and a good guy, hence a lot of us are pinning our hopes on him, because no-one wants to go into another season with such a thin frontline.

Short of that we have to hope for massive improvement from DJ in the off-season, or that Majok decides to come play here and develops quickly.

Not a lot of reasons for optimism for us Sixers fans right now.

Reply #311819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lenny you have no idea of the Schenscher 6er dealings this last 2 seasons. season 1, he played with Perth after Adelaide rushed in and signed Burston, for the same money as Luke played for in Perth mind you. He was in Summer league when the 6ers told him they wouldnt wait. Last season Marty did the dirty on him, its been documented already how pathetic a recruitment job he did.

More like the 6ers will be begging him at the door with roses in hand crying like a pathetic ex boyfriend.

Reply #311823 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Anyone know if Ervin is signed for next year?

Reply #311839 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Clarke will not recruit Schenscher for one reason and one reason only, its what the fans are telling him to do. Since when through this whole season has he listened to anyone? Has anything changed at all regarding his rotations this season? They didn't work in the beginning, they are not working now and yet he still persists with it. We are supposed to believe its all fitting in with his 3 year plan. He hasn't changed anything all season apart from the imports and still hasn't got that one right. A 3 year plan that is on track would suggest progressive improvements being noticed. Hands up all those who have seen any sign of improvement?

Reply #311917 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Bean, I would be surprised if many posters would be happy with Davidson, Majok, Crosswhite or Johnson being offered the starting centre spot if they knew Schenscher was a possible option. Khazzouh is perhaps the only player on your list I imagine people would happily accept if it come down to all the players listed above being available and willing. Having said that, I entirely agree that Schenscher may not be the best centre for the Sixers to pursue, and yes, options are most certainly limited.

Given all the talk on this forum about Schenscher and the suggestions to pay him whatever it takes, I've wondered whether the search for a australian born centre needs to be extended to Europe. This of course would present the Sixers with an entirely different challenge.

The only chance I believe a player the likes of Maric, Jawai, Nevill, Ogilvy, Baynes or possibly Neilson would consider returning to Australia is if they're substantially homesick and/or seriously over their Europe experience. I would be surprised if the Sixers could offer bigger salaries than what these players are currently being paid in Europe.

Not alot of optimism indeed and perhaps Sixer fans need to start preparing themselves for a very long and testing time ahead. I hope not.

Reply #311938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti was on Overtime tonight replay Thursday morning at 7:30am on One.

Reply #311948 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Luke can grab boards, block shots and fill up the lane. If that's all he does for a team, then so be it; you at least know he's capable of scoring if needed.

He can be the 2nd or 3rd option to score on offense, and he's reliable at that to boot. Still worth the money IMO; and coupled with great perimeter defenders in Herbert and Carter, you have a reliable starting core that can play D.

Fill the 1 and 4 spots with pure scoring power and you've got a decent starting lineup. If everyone is sure keen on keeping this "marquee" title on Ballinger despite blatant lapses in areas, then at least this lineup would be an improvement overall.

Reply #311956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wat about the white guy who played pf in the hoops stakes?

Reply #312092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big red/ dj
Balls/dowdell
Creek/ratsch?/hill
Herbert/Bruce
Gilchrist/Carter/daly

Get gilchrist back if knee all gd. Can score n take it to the rack. Solid centre. Balls in natural pf spot. Ratsch would b cheap n is a gd rebounder.

Reply #312096 | Report this post

TJ  
Years ago

dude dont waste cash on big red when wat we need is a solid PG

C JOHNSON/DOWDELL
PF BALLINGER/HOLMES
SF IMPORT/CREEK
SG IMPORT/HERBERT/NG
PG GIBSON/CARTER

with that we got scoring fire power up front and good defense guards who can still score and we need a stud scoring swingman Ron Dorsey maybe and a allround SG

Reply #316841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754