Anonymous
Years ago

Boti on his Overtime appearance

Today Boti went in depth as to exactly how his OT appearance went.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/royally-ambushed-on-overtime/story-e6frect3-1226023827314

I must admit, it is one of the best reads i've had of boti's. Great insight as to how the TV game works, and how it almost felt like a setup.

Clearly the panel had not read any of his work, and were adament of proving his observations incorrect in defence of Marty.

As the long thread below states numerous times, and i agree, he was merely stating FACTS, and watching the interview thats exactly how i saw it, and i do not think he has an kind of "personal vendetta" against Marty.

Boti does a great job of pointing that out in the article.

Topic #25207 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Good and open story. Wish AdelaideNow would let Boti put more of his unpublished stuff up online.

Reply #312172 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that was a great insight! It was good to see him being honest about his OT adventure.

Reply #312174 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Good article.

Reply #312175 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Interesting perspective. I must admit, Overtime comes off as a rambling 'make it up as you go' mish-mash on occassion.

This article does nothing to disprove that.

Surely they can find more inciteful and bettwer prepared hoop-heads?

Reply #312183 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Boti watched it back and seen how much of a tool he is.
As if he didnt know what they might ask him about, did he think he might be there to talk about the Cricket give me a break.
My Grandfather told me many times, if you are happy that you know what is right and wrong there is no need to defend your actions.
Boti Ego how big is it?
Maybe Clark needs to do more of this shit, you guys lap it up.
Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story Boti!!

Reply #312186 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

I'm not a Carfino fan at all so I haven't seen much of Overtime (I've said before I've never hearda genuine accent which seems so contrived - it's almost as bad as 'the outrageous French Uhccent' in Monty Python's Holy Grail). But I did want to see what Boti had to say and recorded the segment.

I blamed the almost still-born segment with Joey on the tensions between Shane and Joey and Joey being wary of walking into a set-up.

But then I was shocked by the feeble attempts to defend Marty by the panel - and I think there are many worthwhile arguments to refute Boti's stance that this season has been a failure.

An interesting article and one unlikely to generate a return invite but I suspect that may have been part of the motivation.

Boti's not wrong in stating the facts but I do think he is being selective in his use of the facts. Yes, the record will be worse than last year's but Ninnis was in year 2 and demonstrably going backwards whereas Marty has shown glimpses, has brought along some players and (possibly) positioned the club in terms of culture and attitude for future success. He deserves at least another year to prove his worth - after all, who would have given Moose another half-season at 1-14 this year?

Finally, Boti lost me at the end when he lauded the work done by Ken Cole, a master salesman if ever there was one. Sure, he generates interest, but he was easily the worst coach (at that level) I ever witnessed up close and personal, he ran the Newcastle Falcons into the ground to the point where their subsequent failure was inevitable (in a much more tangible way than Goorjian's accusers could ever establish) and if memory serves me correctly (I'm sure the 36ers fans will tell me when it doesn't) staked his claim to fame largely on a single, overwhelmingly succesful season with the league's first 'merged' team.

Reply #312192 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

LMAO, sounds like an open assessment sounded like a man back peddling...

Only a guilty man pleads his innocence!

Reply #312193 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

ankles, compare apples with apples. In Ninnis's second season he did not have the luxury of being able to swap imports or players if they were injured. Nor was there a weak Sydney team to get wins from.

Clarke HAS gone backwards on last seasons performance even though he could cut imports and bring in players at any time and had the choice to sign Schenscher.

What are these Glimpses that you are talking about? All I see is a team about to get the worse season record it has ever had and the crowd booing them out of the stadium.

Reply #312196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think a distinction needs to be made over two potential points:

1. Marty and his future as a coach (inc with 36ers).
2. Success/failure of 2010/11 for the 36ers and Marty.

Separating them takes away the assumption that one necessarily supports the other. Some people are going to think Marty is a dud and this year is a failure. Others (myself) think Marty will come good, will get another year, but that this year (save for maybe unearthing issues or new players) was pretty crap. I think some assume that because someone thinks Marty will get there, that this year was OK - that's wrong.

Could well be that the stuff on Overtime arises from those two things. Maybe Heal and Gaze were defensive because they think Marty can get it done next year. Meanwhile, Boti doesn't want to give up the line that this year hasn't been much of a success.

I don't think it's been a complete waste though. Bit miserable in parts, but we got the Staunton medalist, Daly could be useful, Carter may be worth keeping and I'd say the team is training a lot harder this year. Small things, yes, but hopefully there have been bigger lessons learnt in what has worked and what hasn't. We've effectively chased our tails for five or so years now.

---

Edit: Two red herrings (from Marty in the media) along the way have been the three-year plan (akin to Smyth's "six weeks to gel") and trying to frame this season over-positively. Under pressure, almost anyone is going to cough up stuff like this to a reporter and the result is only to unintentionally distract people with "So, do I not pay until Year 3?" or "Are games free until Week 6 then?" disputes. Bit hard to talk realistically or pessimistically about a season when you have employers trying to sell tickets and don't want to throw players under the bus (rather, let off-season signings do the talking).

Reply #312201 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good post Isaac

Reply #312204 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

Just a thought as to why Gaze, Heal, NBL coaches, players etc haven't stuck the boot into Clarke (or really got stuck into Robilliard for that matter);

Is that all these other guys represent their own (former/favourite) teams interests. This primary interest is to win, and in doing so, winning more than Adelaide.

These guys are actually rather happy to see a team like Adelaide with a dud coach. It makes their teams' job that much easier...

Reply #312220 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good post Isaac especially highlighting Clarke would have been better to not do any media or eat a lttle humble pie we have all been eating .
I am not going to say worst season ever or that should sack Clarke yet but has been by far the most dissapointing season have endured.

Reply #312222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day it was good stuff. Basketball is still in the media a gentleman sport. Every one smiley, all good stories etc.

Lets face it the television commentary is often boring and bland, the games slow with too many fouls called and very stop start. Its painful to watch, on TV. (compared to NBA)

The game needs characters and controversy, or no one will watch. Take the footy show, it stirs the pot and makes people watch, most of it set up. Boti is doing the same (thank god someone is). Sam Newman often bags Geelong his former club when he sees bad things happen, it gets ratings and interest, would Brett Maher every do this about Adelaide?????? No I don't think so, too many nice people, not playing the game and while this happens Basketball will continue to rate lowly.

Back in the day Ken Cole would take the high profile often, no AFL but the local footy coaches would hear comments from him in the press when Neil Kerley or other SANFL identities would make reference to basketball. (because after all as they would often say it was a sport for girls)He was a character, you didnt have to like him it didnt matter you still watched him.

If Marty Clarke was an AFL coach he would be copping it sweet, so what.... thats what they get paid for and so would the 6ers players.

Until Basketball grows a pair in the media, people will not support it or show interest to the level we want or deserve.

The last time in Adelaide we got on the news early was when Hodge was doing his thing.

So the moral of my story!!!!!!!!! More humour in the commentary, more characters with balls off the court and make the League interesting.

That's my 20 cents.

Reply #312225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mum,

At the end of the days these guys all have their interests. Gaze is the face of the NBL so it's always in his best interests to defend/apologise for the brethren and Heal has just stepped down as Boomers ass. coach for Clarke. Heal is close with Brett Brown so he would defend Clarke and plus he and Boti don't like each other.

The reality is like Boti has said in this piece that he's been more than with Clarke this season and if anything IMO has gone pretty easy on him.

For mine the biggest thing to come out of his Overtime appearance was when he said that originally the SOS consortium consisted of eight co-owners and that is now down to four. Very concerning.

Reply #312226 | Report this post

old baller  
Years ago

That article points out exactly why Boti is a joke to many people here and interstate.

He thinks it is all about him.

Does he not think Brett Maher did a good enough job of challenging Marty last week.

Is he pissed that he did not get a gig on ten to be a broadcaster which is what he wants to be it seems. I recall a nonsensical stab at local 10 people when ONE HD got on board.

He thinks everyone loves him and does not get that most people loathe him, including the people he thinks are his friends.

Boti ask around how many players interstate wont play here because they dont want to deal with your BS

He serves it to Heal in this article , does a week go past where he does not make an attempted joke at Heal's expense.

Heal and Gaze brought up how Boti seems to think he is the voice of every 36ers fan and that he seems himself as a voice of reason when he has nothing to back that up on.

Reply #312227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And further more...... Ninnis should be in the press saying they would have made the finals with him this year.

And Phil should be bagging the lot of them.

Its all still too lame

Reply #312228 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Boti is a jounalist. Carfino, Gaze and Heal are not. I remember the half time interview with McPeak after he sacked Westover. Leading up to it Carfino and Gaze were sprouting about hard hitting questions etc. When the time came both turned to water. Weakest interview ever. McPeak intimidated both of them. Until we get professional journalists like Boti asking questions at half time of a game on free to air television nothing will change and the NBL will continue as a national afterthought.

Reply #312230 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Heal says it how it is I'm amazed boti kisses his ass

Reply #312274 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

old baller ?

"Boti ask around how many players interstate wont play here because they dont want to deal with your BS"

While I don't always think much of Boti - I find this assertion to be one of the most absolutely inane comments I have ever read. It is just such patent drivel that I can totally understand anyone wanting to simply IMMEDIATELY agree with whoever asked this question, just so that they could get away and do something useful with their time, instead of wasting it listing to some crackpot with a (lonely) bee in their bonnet - sort of like those dero's you meet in the street - you don't want to be rude in case they go schitzo on you, but you have absolutely no intention of staying around talking to them - just smile, nod your head, agree profusely and above all - keep walking

Reply #312286 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think both sides had a point, Boti is right the 36ers have been disappointing and Clarke has not fully adjusted, but also stating he is a great teacher at trainings just not great at match days, but Gaze and Heal were also right in saying give him time he will be good.

Clarke has done a few good things, he apparantly is very hard working (people bagged Smyth and Ninnis for being lazy) and i like the signings of Creek, Johnson (the 2 best u/24s in the NBL) and Bruce and think that gives us 3 good young players to build around, while adding a couple of extra AIS/Boomer guys who Clarke should have connections with, please Gibson and Schenscher, that to me plus 2 imports and/or a Newley/Barlow type gives us a good foundation to build on, which is what everyone bagged Smyth and Ninnis for doing not having a good enough core of young guys, we are starting to get that now, we just have to be a little patient unfortunatly.

Reply #312295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:34 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754