Panther
Years ago

Players getting looked after....

Do people feel that certain players get looked after more than others and why?
The reason I thought about this topic was due to a game against Southern when I felt Gerlach was looked after by the refs a bit and sent him to the free throw line a bit more than he deserved.
Looking at F/T attempts, Brad has had 37 shots from the F/T line over 4 games.
Jason Dix, another player who's untouchable has had 30 attempts over 3 games and Simon Kent has had 31 attemts over 4 games (I don't remember the refs looking after himthat much when he played for South!).
Other's who get a mention are Krause with 29 attempts over 4 games and Jye Watson 26 over 3 games, not bad for two players who shoot three's all game!!!

Topic #2521 | Report this topic

Root  
Years ago

Perhaps these players dont contstantly whine to the refs..........

refs are human (mostly) if you get on their backs, they wont show you the love.

Reply #28254 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

And because they don't whine to the refs they obviously get fouled more???
If refs were doing their job correctly they would be calling a foul if they saw it whether the player whined or not!
This is not a charity game pal!

Reply #28256 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah I would agree, a lot of the "super" players as people like to call them get looked after a lot by the refs as they don't want these guys to leave and go interstate or anything.

Reply #28257 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Bizzy ...

You idiot !! You really think that ref's don't want "star" players moving interstate? ...and therefore look after them on the foul count .. HAHAHAHAH ...

I agree with Panther it aint a charity !

I'd love to hear from the ref's who im sure will tell you your 'theory' is unsound !

Reply #28258 | Report this post

Everyone knows, you whinge to a ref, they wont call fouls, you treat them as a professional and their attitude towards you is professional. Its very simple. And after all they are only human and dont see everything, but some calls need to slide other wise the game becomes this start stop nightmare that everyone has to endure. Point is, everyone should shut their mouths, play clean and just get on with it all.

Reply #28259 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I was just offering an idea I didn't ever say i agreed with it, I think that the refs should often let a few more calls go to keep the game flowing! There's nothing worse than being called for the most minute foul. Generalaly I think the refs do a pretty good job, it's not easy.

Reply #28260 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Bizzy,

I think that is a valid point. Not sure it has nothing to do with players moving interstate.

I hear refs call the better players by their first names in games and grapple to catchup with them after games. The problem is refs need to understand its just the ABL not the NBA and while I they should respect these guys, they dont have to give them so many good calls and try to be their best mates.

Reply #28261 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Everyone says that players whinge too much. A lot of the times it's because something continues to happen even after a player has pointed it out already to an umpire.
So if a player is constantly getting hand checked or held on to or pushed in the back on a rebound they are simply NOT entitled to say a word?
And if they do, and are hacked on a play quite obviously they shouldn't be entitled to a foul?
AND, if a player who is naturally a quiet, non aggressive player doesn't say boo, and misses a shot it's automatically a foul???
What kind of bullshit are you dribbling?

Reply #28262 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I have seen it more on the womens side than the mens. Deanna Smith was a classic example of a WNBL player getting looked after. She could murder an opposition player on court and then get a foul called on that person.

Don't know if it is subconscious or not from the refs, but it does happen.

Reply #28264 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

panther, i believe you may have just won the argument for the opposition. that is exactly what happens, why do you think you always foul out??

Reply #28265 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah it seems that when a player drops back from their National Team be it NBL or WNBL whatever, even though they can tear it up on the court they seem to get the 50/50 calls all go there way.

Could the refs just not know they're doing it?

Reply #28266 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

As a Ref, I try to use all the players first names, and most players are fine with it. I also have no problem with players calling me by my name if they know me.

Panther, I think you will find that if you were allowed to sit in on our post game evaluations that all calls are written down and are questioned if they are a bit dodgy. Some good discussions happen as the evaluator may or may not agree with the call.

As for "looking after" players, i don't think so. if the game basically revolves around that player (eg Gerlach) you would assume that there would be more scrutiny on the defence there.

Tigers fans, only using Gerlach as an example. I do not think the
Tigers are a one man team.

Reply #28268 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Bizzy, i agree with you. Ever seen a YOUNG refs face when a known/ NBL player gets stuck into them. They almost pack their dacks or have a reasonable discussion with them as to why the call was made all the while calling them by their first name. But when someone else questions a call, they talk trash.

Nothing against the refs, they are all good guys, and I could not do it but its just a perspective and feedback for them.

Reply #28269 | Report this post

rainman  
Years ago

Simon is only getting calls now cos he actually gets the ball inside now, so therefore has more oportunity to score and therefore gets to the line more cos most people in the league hack away at taller players

Reply #28270 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I agree no matter where you look of course a taller player, playing inside is going to get more calls for them as they are in there banging bodies.

Interesting that was a good call on the YOUNG refs who pack it when an NBL player comes past them. I mean they will learn over time that it's not that bigger deal but I guess they're young and you gotta give em' credit for being out there.

Reply #28271 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

rainman your a tool, he got the ball at south just didnt do anything with it, just like on the weekend!

Reply #28272 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah I'd agree with you Lloyd he's does sweet FA with the ball even when he gets it.

Reply #28273 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Tracey Braithwaite seems to get hacked continuously but doesn't get the calls. I think it's seen as an unfair advantage (being that tall).

Reply #28275 | Report this post

mark coughlin  
Years ago

panther;
i noticed in your most recent game versus west on saturday that mark nash was playing.
did you think the ref's gave him favourable treatment or do you think he was looked after??
from what i noticed the ref's where fair to both teams.

Reply #28276 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

if nash was playing for anyone but west he would get the same treatment as players like dix and kent. i haven't seen the foul stats but i would bet west would be top of the list for fouls called against. it seems west have done something bad by the refs. maybe it is that they talk back too much?

Reply #28277 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Gertrude,how have I won the arguement for the opposition? I can guarantee you, even if I didn't say boo to a ref, I would still probably foul out! It's just the way I play, aggresively. Anyone that plays physical will automatically get singled out.
I know some refs who will automatically target me and others who call the game fair, both of which will talk to me off the court. I've also had refs apologise for not making certain calls and for making calls against me. An umpire should never assume or guess, it's that simple.

Reply #28279 | Report this post

he-man  
Years ago

From what i have seen Dix is a bitch, he complains about everything all game. I think the refs get sick of listening to him.

Reply #28280 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Mark,
I don't think the refs looked after Nashy at all and I agree that majority of the game was called fairly. I fully respect Mark and his game, he had a pretty good tussle, a bit of trash talking it was good. I did feel he had a bit of an off night 6/21 FG's, although the Advertiser called him the "Dominator"!!!

Reply #28282 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

Why do refs call the "better" players by their first names? It all comes down to prventive officiating ...

Preventive officiting: when a ref verbally tells players to change what they are doing, so that there hopefully will be no need to call a foul. e.g. "hands out", "keep it straight" (in the post), "don't hook", "don't hold".

Most of the time a player will not respond to this unless you clearly indicate to whom you are referring. Hence the need to use a name, or singlet number. Clearly using a name will get better recognition from the intended player.

That is why I try to use a person's name whenever possible. They tend to listen more. Obviously, the more "famous" the player is, the longer they played in the league (in some cases if they have played against me in div 2 [in years gone by], and gone on to better things), the more likely it is that I will know their name.

To the not-so-famous: come up and introduce yourselves, and maybe I'll call you by name too.

Reply #28287 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Panther who do you play for?

I think that the refs do the best they can, but should just maybe let things go a little more at times. But credit to them, I couldn't be a referee!!

Reply #28288 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think the high foul count for certain players may have a lot to do with the fact that they get the ball so often. Also, when they do get it, they have the ability to get in front and draw a foul.

Dix doesn't need to be looked after.

Reply #28289 | Report this post

The Love.  
Years ago

Are you kidding Bizzy??

Have a look at the name "Panther" and take a stab......

Reply #28290 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

cant wait Bruce..

Reply #28291 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Whoops, how dumb do i look. lol.

Reply #28292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, I think it's just a matter of how much time those players spend with the ball.

Gerlach - most FGA for Southern
Krause - most FGA for Flames
Watson - most FGA for Lions
Dix - Sullivan's had one more FGA
Kent - always inside, maybe he just gets hammered.

Reply #28295 | Report this post

ref  
Years ago

you guys are rite, refs to tend to pick on players who whinge more. well not pick on them but they just notice them more. if players actually speak to US referees with courtesy we mite wanna hear wat u have to say and not just throw out techs or favour players. players that hav been mentioned, dix, gerlach, kent etc maybe they get more fouls called because they have earnt the respect of the refs!!!!!!!!!

Reply #28300 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

Thanks for backing me up with stats Isaac!

Reply #28302 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

so your admitting that you do favour the players that are polite to the refs?

Reply #28303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good call
As a referee aren't you suppose to be neutral no matter what!
Bias is rife in ABA and its unacceptable!

Reply #28305 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Way to put it Anonymous. I thought that as a referee you were trained to call the game down the line? Obviously when I used to complain about dodgy calls I was possibly right that they were favouring their little toy boys

Reply #28308 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait, didn't Bruce say that if a player listened to their advice regarding the calling of the game, they'd get better results? From that, couldn't you assume that a player respecting the referees' opinions would then get more calls for them than against them since they were adjusting to the way the game was being called?

Reply #28310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where in the rule book does it say you call less fouls on the player that show's more respect.It doesnt, and as for ref's saying "hands off", "no Hooking" etc etc etc thats not in the hand book either.
Plain and simple if you see it happpening CALL IT.Nothing irritates me more to see all this happening out on court and the refs are telling players hands off etc, their role is to ref not coach.
The player will adjust his play by being called for it not by the ref constantly giving instruction to cease the illegal handling.And if it is called more regularly maybe just maybe there will be less whinging at the refs and we will see better players on court because they will be more focus on the game and not the ref.
And for those critics who think that the game would have no flow, so what that is what the game is about.(Playing within the rules)

Reply #28311 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Well put Anon, well put!!

Reply #28314 | Report this post

Regular Poster  
Years ago

Ref,

That's a pretty dangerous thing to say .. as a referee you should not need to respect the players you umpire... only the rules. I'd check that with your senior supervisors.

Bringing a system of 'calls' for 'respect' into this is probably not what you meant to do ( i hope !) .. and you should probably back peddle out of this one.

Good luck.

Reply #28316 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yes I'd agree Regular Roster - ref what you have said is a pretty dangerous comment, and could cause a few hassles you realise?

Reply #28317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing 'ref' is only a junior ref.

I don't think panther gets singled out, like he said he's just an aggressive player which is something one team needs. Someone who is willing to get a foul for the team and put his body on the line. Keep it up, it makes for an entertaining game :)

As for players getting "helped". I understand it if a big man goes to the foul line more as they're always inside trying to put up the tough shot most of the time getting hacked.

Guards usually take the outside shots wont get fouled as much as they're taking the open outside shots. I'm going to take a stab here and presume the guards with the biggest FTA have most of their foul shots late in the game when the defending team is in foul trouble the team tries to get it into the guards hands usually and get the ball up the court quickly which will usually result in a foul putting the guard to the line.

I'm sure there may be some cases where the more known players such as 36ers or longer known ABL players may get treated differently, but most of the time they get treated like normal players but are only seen to get "helped" due to their known presence on the court. In regards to the stats, what's the FTM? Is it really helping them? :P

Reply #28318 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it really that hard to conceive that better players see more of the ball and by virtue of their talent, receive more fouls than less experienced or less talented players who are defending them? (generally speaking).

Reply #28319 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

That's an excellent point Isaac, obviously better players see more of the ball and if the guards are taking it hard to the rack then they are obviously going to get more trips to the line.

Reply #28320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It doesnt, and as for ref's saying "hands off", "no Hooking" etc etc etc thats not in the hand book either.
Plain and simple if you see it happpening CALL IT."

It's called preventative umpiring. This topic is about ABL, not Juniors. Advantage/Disadvantage comes into seniors, if there is a small foul such as a hand check but it's not enough to disadvantage the player then just talk to them to prevent it getting out of hand. If you call it straight away the game will turn into a netball game. If a player continues to not listen that's when the foul is called, there is no better way to get a player to stop doing it than if they look and see they're in foul trouble.

Players try listening to the umpires, more often than not all they're trying to do is stop you from fouling to try and keep you in the game. They talk to you telling you what you can and can't do by the way they're going to call the game. If you're not smart enough to listen to the umpire, don't bitch and argue when you get fouled out for the exact same thing the umpire's been telling you not to do.

Reply #28323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I was getting at Isaac with the more familiar faces becoming a known presence on the court. The more skilled players such as the 36ers players will be hassled more when they have the ball which will in turn result in a foul. There's no easier way to put it.

Reply #28326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do you ever see Holmes, Gerlach, Nash, Dix, Foreman, Gower, Bauer, Mckay, Hawkes, Hambour etc. pick on or singled out by refs never. We need umpires and not fans.

Reply #28327 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah I'm gonna agree with Anon - we need umpires not fans. If they're reffing is hampered by the fact that they are starstruck then something needs to be looked at.

Reply #28329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've agreed with everyone Bizzy:

Stats: 13 out of 47 posts = Bizzy's

Sorry mate it's just a little joke to break the tension :P

Reply #28338 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Referees are on the court to make sure the game is played within the spirit of the rules.

Referees shouldn't ever 'pick on' or favour anyone. If someone is playing in a way that is in violation to my first point, then pull them back in to line within the spirit of the rules - as the rules apply to everyone involved in the game.

Reply #28340 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

i think you'll find that players like Panther, and other with similar intencity 'seem' to be picked on due to their style of play. Although there are a number of 50/50 calls, no calls etc in basketball, these players seem to always have the fouls go against them. It is nothing to do with who they are, but how they play. It happens in every league everywhere in the world, the sooner we recognise that the sooner we can all give the refs a break.

Reply #28343 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

No offence taken Anon.

The refs should just ref by the rules but give a little le-way to keep the game flowing but not let it get too far out of hand

Reply #28349 | Report this post

Panther pls!  
Years ago

Panther please! I had a pretty good look at the game at Marion when you played Southern, from memory Gerlach had racked up 3 fouls by early in the second, and had four at 1/2 time. Just an answer to one of your examples. Some of the time the refs cannot pick his quick hands, check steals in stats section 60% he gets ball then some are fouls and some is offensive turnover from pressure D.
In regards to foul shots I think Isaac hit it on the head, also his penetration is hard to stop and he also went to the foul line v North alot as they were fouling to stop the clock and hope we miss - Panther I think you are bored at work and maybe if South weren't so aggressive off the ball he or others would'nt be at the line so much.

Reply #28350 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

So confusing ... Anonymous (#28323) is backing me up, telling Anonymous (#28311) that there is a need for preventative officiating.

Talking to players to obviate the need to call some fouls (preventative officiating) is a directive given to umpires from FIBA, BA, BASA and on down.

i.e. we would not be doing our job correctly if we CALLED all contact as fouls (as suggested by Anonymous-28311).

i.e. don't complain about little hand checks, or contact on a pass that ended up precisely where it was intended to go.

That being said, hard contact should always be called as a foul.

Reply #28355 | Report this post

onlooker  
Years ago

the refereeing in the ABL this season has gone down because of the new referees director, he has NO !@#$%^& idea at all!

It's the blind leading the blind!

Don't support an ABL team, go to the pokies or play Keno or buy a x-lotto ticket, you have more chance of winning!

Reply #28358 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Interesting concept onlooker. I thought the officiating wasn't too bad but could do with a bit of improving and cionsitency though

Reply #28361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line is.

All the players want is consistency.

Something that is lacking in ABA.

Reply #28366 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Onlooker ...

Sour grapes .. prolific fouler ?

"buy a keno ticket .. play the pokies " ?? - thats just what we need another clown endorsing gambling !!

Reply #28368 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Panther is just upset because he gets called for crappy little fouls hustling after loose balls, while people retaliate to his niggling elbows, holding etc dont get hit with fouls.

I would have though that he would be used to getting no calls after his time in Mount Gambier.

Could possibly have played more games than anyone else, but spent less time on the court.

I know he has told me his thoughts on the competition in Mount Gambier before and reffing was high on his list.

But back to the topic, it happens in all competitions.

Jordan was well looked after, Gaze, probably the most looked after in history of the game.

It is a part of every game, I think we have all had our say and should just move on.

Everyoe will argue with the black and white (or orange for SEABL players and silver for Central Conference) next time they hit the court, its spur of the moment reaction.

But the injustice as Panther feels it is will continue.

Face it, who wants to be the one who told Gaze to shut up and stop crying?

Reply #28371 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Well put Skyhook, onlooker promote sitting inside instead of out playing ball. Stupidity at it's finest.

Reply #28372 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I would love to tell Gaze to shut up and give up old man!!

Reply #28374 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Onlooker, do u have any idea what the new referee director has implemented or is working on?
I suggest you get ur facts straight and stay what u r-an onlooker, and dont bring ur sorry face around basketball, it will kill it.

Reply #28377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one can only hope from this very busy thread today that some self reflection on one's own performance, be it whether your a player or a ref and all take a little advice on board.
Self analysis and critiquing can only be good for personal growth and development and at whatever age never too late to make changes.
Dont always assume posters that if someone has something to add on this forum that they are coming from a junior basketball prespective because it is very narrow minded of you. At the end of the day any opinion is a valid opinion, be it seniors or juniors

Reply #28381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok that sounded like a Jerry Springer final thought

Reply #28385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take care of yourself and each other...

Reply #28391 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Well this turned out to be a very interesting topic hasn't it, i'm disappointed i've been out of the office all afternoon!
Isaac and Anonymous poster (28326), I have to agree and disagree with a couple of your comments. Although these players may get the ball a lot and shoot a high percentage of their tems shots that doesn't make them anymore foulable, (if that's a word). Both Jye Watson and Keith Krause shoot a high percentage of 3 pointers per game and we all know the rule...never foul someone shooting a three pointer! So how do you explain that?
Secondly, anonymous, you stated "The more skilled players such as the 36ers players will be hassled more when they have the ball which will in turn result in a foul. " Just because you send a double team, doesn't mean your automatically fouling someone! And out of all the sixers who play, how many would you double send a double team at??? NONE! Maybe Jacob if he was playing, other than that no one.
Oh and "Panther Pls", the players I mentioned it was only Snake who had high free throws against us so the question was quite a general question and a little from past experience. Yes Snake drives a lot and he does a great job of it, but some of those fouls called towards the end of the game were just automatic for the refs to call, they started presuming he was going to be fouled because he may have been fouled earlier in the game a couple of times.
And what did him having 4 fouls at half time have to do with the whole discussion here? Are you saying that if a "favoured" player hacks himself then it evens itself out???
Refs tend to have a smaller tolerance on certain players and they get singled out, but that was not my original discussion. I wasn't complaining about all the shit calls that called against me, I was asking do people think players get favoured, and realistically everyone has answered yes, which is not what refs should be doing!
And to clear everyone up, i've never fouled before in my life!
Sorry, Tony Ronaldson just entered my body for a moment...

Reply #28402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I answered no. It just "seems" they're getting favoured because everyone looks at them closer than other players. That's both players, spectators and officials. They don't get favoured IMO anyway.

As for stats, it all depends WHY they went to the foul line. Were they off shot attempts or were they because the defending team was in foul trouble... you cannot tell this from stat numbers.

Reply #28406 | Report this post

joe mayo  
Years ago

panther pls! was a rediculous post that was, please dont waste anymore of our time. telling a team to play less aggresive off the ball, how rediculous. its not the style of game that needs to change its the style of the refereeing that needs to alter slightly, let a bit more go it's a mans game. whats wrong with a solid bump through the lane every now and then, nothing! if it stops the so called main player getting the ball easily then the defense has done its job. unfortunately the game if called too much in favour of the offense, we may as well be playing netball.

Reply #28407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, if you discount three point shots, Jye Watson still has the most shot attempts for his team. Same with Keith Krause. Same with Jason Dix.

We're going on a small statistical set of only four games here. For Simon Kent, he's had 2 games where he's had 4 FT attempts in each! Hardly a protected species. Krause is similar -- 9 FTA total in two games, and then 20 over another two.

Jason Dix had one game where he shot 1/3, another with 6/8 and the data is really skewed by the 12/19 game. In that game, Dix was up against Bungy (inexperienced) and Trebilcock (slower) who had 9 fouls between them. Is it that surprising that they'd foul a more agile and experienced opponent more often?

As for Watson, it's a similar story -- 20 attempts total in two games, and then 6 attempts in each of the other two. In his game that I saw, it didn't look like he received special treatment at all. The argument throughout this thread that refs bow before players with which they're friendly doesn't wash -- Watson is new to the league.

Reply #28413 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

No, I have never seen you foul anybody Panther, but people seem to have a knack for tripping over themselves near you.

A lot of clumsy people around, just sorry I only ever played against you once.

Reply #28425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why can't referee's call players by name? do you want them to have whistle out mouth going hey south player number 8 can you please isn't it better to be more precise hey bill stop that.

you will get referee's to ask players to not push, not check etc they aren't there to coach but to make the game flow well within the rules.

realistically you all want 'every foul' called yet you bitch and moan that it was soft, or you could have let that go you are ruining the game etc. 'you' is being use generically and not aimed at one poster or another.

IMO a team that is playing man to man will pick up more fouls that a team playing zone - the dynamics of a game are different.

many years ago a parent of a child in the same team as my child was saying the ref's were picking on his kid. they were calling charges against this kid. 3 in this particular game. i pointed out that his child got 2 at least charging fouls per game whether we played at marion, col light, forestville, morphettvale or athol park. seeing that the defensive teams were different and the refs different in each game the only common thread was his kid couldn't he see where the problem lie.

there are players around the league who consistently get 5 or 6 fouls. i've seen them for years play great defence to the last second then slap at the ball. er duh!

i won't say that ref's pick on those who bitch complain or moan but ask yourself if you are yelling hey ref he's holding on to me and at the time the ref looks to see what you are yelling at if you have just put the player to the floor who is more the fool?

also if you are yelling and screaming or arguing the toss at every call you are a) only dragging attention to yourself and b) human nature will tell you that the 50/50 call MAY to go against you. you are almost wearing a red jacket screaming pick me! pick me!

star struck ref's? aren't those at the top athlete's in their own right. haven't phil haines and andrew filmer achieved what some of you will never achieve x amount of nbl games. ok they are referees but they are top of their 'team'

Reply #28427 | Report this post

maxwell smart  
Years ago

my only beef when i referee aba (and its only 1) is players who want to be able to play one style of defense eg; bumping in the post and legal harassing defense out in the middle of the floor and yet when the other team plays relatively the same style of defense they want a foul to be called!!!
c'mon guys you can't have it both ways.
btw this is not directed at anyone in particular nor is it a common theme but every now and again.
other than that i am really enjoying reffing this season, especially the game i had last weekend.

Reply #28456 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Isaac, I know it's only 3 or 4 games i'm going on here but I can almost guarantee you that Dix and Gerlach will be in the top three of free throw attempts at the end of the year.
And for anyone to say that certain players don't get favoured or looked after then they are watching the game with their eyes shut. I'm not being bias or untoward any one team here as i've played with players who got the same treatment. Let me say now, I played with a certain american who if he did actually miss a shot the defender was automatically called for a foul! Ask Jason Williams, Travis Leaver, Billy Hopkins, Paul Mescke, etc.
It does happen. You listen to NBA games and the commentators constantly say, "that's a rookie's foul, if he'd been playing in the league for a few more years they wouldn't have called that on him."
I also agree with umpires talking to players, I think that's fantastic, communication is a huge key in a good player/umpire relationship. In the long run it benefits the player, the umpires and the spectators. Like one ref said, it helps the flow of the game. If they see something that isn't really effected the play of the ball, they'll let that player know not to do it. If they're a repeat offender then call the foul.
I'm also not complaining about calls against myself as i've learnt to live with it, (all except one ref!) and i'll continue on.
What my post was about was players who get looked after. Refs who get in the mind set that when certain players either lose the ball or miss a shot that they MUST of been fouled.
But it's been a good discussion topic obviously. Better than "what basketball brand do you like"!!!

Reply #28483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is all crap

Reply #28576 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

great comment anon - you really put forward a case, and back it up well too. Its good to see someone here with an intelligent opinion, and not afriad to put a name to it aswell....keep up the good work!

Reply #28580 | Report this post

big but  
Years ago

This is a interesting topic for the first two weeks of the season this year (2006)

last weeks game

Panther was 4/6 free throws with only Cam Wilson and Damien Scantlon shooting more free throws.

South 38 FT to 32

Another example is Daren Ng being called for 5 fouls even though he shot 40 points and is a "name player"

Reply #73802 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tend to agree with Panther on this one. I would rather have a ref talk to me, (a) it establishes a little give-and-take between the player and ref and (b) it acts as a warning that the ref knows what your doing and will only tell you so many times before pinned a F on you.

I ref in Canberra a bit and as a ref I 'talk'. Talking isn't coaching, it expressing to the players how you want to game to be played and also sets a precedent on what you as a ref will allow and not allow. Yeah, my style of reffing changes depending on skill, teams and the styles of those teams. If I have two physical teams playing then I'll let them bang a bit more than two whimpy teams. I find it frustrating when a ref will just slap a F on the sheet without some 'talk'.

Panther has many valid points. Listen to the NBA game how many times to do hear "rookie foul" or "shooters foul" (Jordon/T-MAC/Lebron) type of foul where the offensive player bribes a foul out of the ref because of his name. It happens, star players get star calls. How many times do those dodge 50/50 charge calls get called against the offensive player. SFA, especially if that player is a Gaze, Jordon, Lebron name.

Reply #73814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754