KB3
Years ago

great 36ers article

thought this was interesting and provided a good insight into the team
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/inside-a-team-that-cant-take-a-trick/story-e6frect3-1226024713346

Topic #25226 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Yeh good article.....but I am still not happy. There need to be massive changes for next season.

Reply #312426 | Report this post

Swish 'n Dish  
Years ago

Does anyone know he is referring to in this passage?

"I'd go and get the best Australian point guard out there," Clarke says. "If there isn't one available, I'd get the best Australian talent."

Radford agrees. "Don't worry, we'll get them," Clarke says. "And sooner than people might think."

Reply #312435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the bit about Aussie talent might b here sooner than u think?

Reply #312436 | Report this post

Kittle  
Years ago

Hmmm Adam Gibson isnt signed anywhere yet.

Reply #312437 | Report this post

hopefull  
Years ago

I heard we have 2 amazing aussie guards already lined up for this coming season, if its who they reckon it is, im gettin season tickets again no question!

Reply #312438 | Report this post

hopefull  
Years ago

kittle... apparently he might be!

Reply #312440 | Report this post

Kittle  
Years ago

Well in AUS he is the only decent guy unsigned. This would be a very educated decision, Gibson is a jerk BUT can play and has some grit about him.

Reply #312441 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Gibson was who I first thought of, who else could it be? Would be happy if it is

Reply #312442 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

not sure what to take from that article....some of the comments seem orchestrated..
the one u are talking about already..

Reply #312443 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

they should have asked what 2 things would he change. as id hope the second one is bringing Schench back to adelaide

Reply #312444 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, well the best would be patty ... obviously not an option so open to interpretation i guess but means the best available australian pg...

is getting interesting...

do people really think gibson is a possibility??

hmmmm

? / dj

balls /

creek /

? / herbert/ ng

gibson/ carter

looks very very good if we find a good centre and sg

Reply #312445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phil i would keep bruce instead of ng. ng's d is still along way of n cant drive or create his own shot. bruce can carry the ball up if required, drive 2 the basket n is better on d. he can improve on this season by doing a full pre season 2.

Reply #312447 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The NBL rookie of the year didn't play any bssketball for 18months. Came here for a training session
looked better than Howard n Shannon.
Got signed that day to replace Carter, later Ng.
Not at his peak , would be interesting to see him with a full pre-season.
If Clarke has thrown him under the bus, today
he'd get a NBL gig.

Reply #312448 | Report this post

Kittle  
Years ago

For mine, they really need to sign Schenscher first and foremost. Pay the man, build around him. Having Schenscher and Gibson, would mean alot less pressure on having to have a SUPERSTAR import. Time to pull out the cheque books SOS.

Reply #312450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big red no1 priority. surely the blaze wouldnt let gibson go? maybe there talking bout a young kid from college?

Reply #312453 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Della?

Reply #312455 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

had a quick look for players coming out of college, and i didn't really see anyone of significance.

I am hoping they are talking about out of Europe.

Reply #312456 | Report this post

aussie boomers  
Years ago

Convincing Dellavedova to come home would be huge. An excellent point guard

Reply #312457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carter and Bruce and Ng and Holmes will be gone

Gibson or Martin will be here

Reply #312458 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wanted to look at our future PG tonite
About 12points from about 12 shots
4 turnovers 6 assists.

(Ira Clark only got 23points from 12shots)

Reply #312460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

markovic? just throwing it out there

Reply #312461 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Markovic has always looked pretty solid to me, the few times I have seen him.

Reply #312465 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Clarke talks it up but has not produced.
He has to assemble a new line up that is going to produce results and listen to people about the where he has gone wrong .
He will have to do it in a reasonable budget as SOS can only throw so much at this team.
Cant understand why posters say NG wont return as apart from Dad a owner at least he knows how to and will take responsibility to shoot a open shot and had improved in other areas of game before injury

Reply #312467 | Report this post

Years ago

carter or ng no contest ng every time carter thinks he is playing for the harlem globetrotters .keep creek shows promise as does dj holmes keeper balls keeper .

Reply #312471 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

which martin u guyz talking about?

Reply #312478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would b getting gilchrist back if knee is gd. schenscher and try to get dave barlow or ingles back. gibson is good but he has harvey,golding n clark at his dissposal and they still cant make the playoffs.

Reply #312482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher wont be back so stop requesting his signature. Ingles wont be back either, earns too much money abroad.

I think Gibson, Greenwood and Delladova might be options?

Ng should be retained....as an impact player off the bench. One of the purest shooters in the League.

Reply #312489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delladova is listed as a shooting guard too, not a pg. Carlin Hughes played the point when they were together at St Marys.

Reply #312490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ng as a great shot but its not high school bball he doesnt have the handles to get free to use his shot. weak on d gets pushed around way to easy. simlpy not up to nbl standard. harsh but if were going to go places bye bye. i would rather keep hill as impact player. least his ok on d n can score a bit. Def on the get gilchrist back.

Reply #312492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilchrist wont be back either. Clarke wont go for another import at the pg spot, he would rather retain Carter and Bruce.....and so would I!

Ng doesnt need to create his own shot, he just needs to get free to shoot it. Some plays set up to get him free and a decent pg to get him the ball when he is open is all that is required. And, whilst he is not a physical defender he is a smart defender and as an impact player his d shouldnt effect the team too much.

People need to stop thinking Schenscher, Gilchrist, Ingles......its not gonna happen.

Reply #312495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bruce n carter are solid but not gd enough to find ng open and he cant find room by himself his to weak for nbl. Are we thinking of being competitive or playoffs. cause if we are new zealand are the bench mark and penny smashed ng by pushing of him, ng takes 3-4 steps back wide open shot thanks for coming. i understand your call on ingles but why cant we get schenscher? yeah well if i was clark i would b getting gilchrist or similar some1 who can take control of the game when needed win the game when needed and can find other players. bruce to the 2 bit of 1 and carter backup pg. pg is prob the most important position have a look at the kings they have the best big man but struggled till dickle came in and took control

Reply #312499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers had the same issues when Gilchrist was at pg. He isnt the answer unless the talent in other positions is better.

Reply #312503 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Get rid of Carter?? are you guys serious? that has got to be the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

Reply #312518 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Don't we already have guards and lack big guys?

Same thing as this year - in a team stacked with mostly smalls, we go out and get 2 American guards. Then when we're exposed in the front court... we get two more American guards?

Carter, Herbert, Ng and Daly is not a bad Aussie guard rotation IMO. A premium PG would help with the lack of execution / decision making maybe...

Still, I'd chase bigs first.

Reply #312519 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder what Bruce n Carter think , after playing here on Friday.
Then reading the Sunday Mail and watching the game on Sunday night , where Gibson put up similar numbers.

( I'd get more excited if it was Ira Clark coming to ADL .. after watching the game on Sunday..
While even Homicide looked to have 10 turnovers
but maybe I'm counting the ball slipping outta his hands 3 times.)

Reply #312520 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

That was won of the wierdest games from Homicide I've ever seen. He seemed to put his team into the game - and then take them out of it - every few minutes!

Reply #312527 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Hm so we could have a team of Oz point guard, Carter, Bruce, Daly, Ng , Creek, Hill, Ballinger and Johnson, just need to sign up a few more guards and we should do well, always thought we were light on for Guards in this team, which is why we signed import guards I suoppose.

Reply #312560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce n Carter are solid Aussies but think we need 1 simaler to Ervin or gilchrist guys who want the ball in the dying seconds of the game n can deliver. And yes Ira clark would b unreal. Maybe rickertt as centre?

Reply #312571 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i was hopeing dellavedova a while back but from what i can see has one more year left of college. greenwood is heading off to college so we wont get him. the only aussie pg's he could be refering to would be martin, gibson or markovic ( possibly cadee?). with references to gibson being unsigned ( although alot of nbl players only have 1 yr contracts), it seems he is the most likely...

barlow would be a very good get but aside from why would he come here is the fact he would hold creek out of the team. unless we played both in the forward spots which could work in this league but only with a very very solid centre. wouldnt put it past marty to run a line-up like that though lol. but yeah seems unlikely, the connotations seemed to be around 2 good aussies guards in particular a pg.. which follows similar talk from marty earlier in the season suggesting this was what they were after.

Reply #312573 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

would absolutely love marty to make a big play for anatoly bose (sg). but i think he most likely will end up playing somewhere in europe.

anyone think bose is a chance to land in nbl or will line up at a euro club for sure??

Reply #312575 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

With the season yielding disappointing results for Sixers fans producing possibly to be a second wooden spoon, I was pondering the season after reading this article and so I asked myself (Carrie Bradshaw style) "are the Sixers a bad team playing badly, or just a good team playing badly?"

There have been too many games this season we have seen slipped through our fingers, and especially too many games where we have been ahead at 3QT, only to choke in Q4. It's like going to the pub, picking up a chick who’s hot to trot, then just as you open the door to the taxi to take her home, someone jumps into the taxi.

We have had a season riddled with injuries and disasters. Herbie has been sitting on the sidelines, Johnny G’s battling his knee, Darren was out injured, Rhyss has been battling his back, Troy’s hip, Ronnie’s ankle, Balls’s ankle, Winder, missed anyone or anything?

On court, we have an obvious unresolved problem on the road and many poindexters have been critical of Marty Clarke in his first year as a coach with subbing and court rotations being the main complaints. So, at this time of the year, the long knives come out and the blame game begins.

Let’s look objectively at some of the troops, starting off with those who have ridden off into the sunset, or been sent packing.

Craig Winder: Played 8 games yielding 10.1 ppg at 35%. Showed promise, but was disappointing with poor shooting and high turnovers. Unlikely to get another chance.
Troy de Vries: Played 9 games yielding 11.6 ppg at 36%. Injury was Troy’s handbrake. Played a few crackerjack games, but an import needs to be a V8 firing on all 8 cylinders and can't carry an injured import. I would give a fit Troy another go if he was fit.
Sam Harris: Played 2 games. The guy is the tallest bloke in Oz and should be a centre for an NBL team somewhere dunking baskets and swatting shots. Unfortunately tall does not mean talented and so needs some major 1 on 1 to work on the things that need to come up to scratch. Might be a bit too late for Slamming Sam.
Ron Howard: 11 games, 8.4 ppg at 38%. Played a bit role on a team that needed an import with flair to lift the spirits. Probably got the gig 'cos Julius was too busy dusting his extensive trophy cabinet.

Now to those still on the roster:
Balls: 26G, 15.3 ppg @ 54%, 6 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.3 spg, 1.9 bpg, 1.7 topg. Apparently playing out of position for the season, but likely to end up MVP. Defence was his achilles heel and was beaten a number of times in the season by taller, but less skillful players. Beat up a few less skillful players too. Much has been said about the Ewing factor, and also whether he should be captain. On paper, a keeper, but needs to work on D and shut down opponents because if you let a goal in, means you need to score 1 and a bit to win.
Holmes: 26G, 4.8 ppg @ 39%, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.1 bpg, 1.3 topg. 92% from the stripe was a highlight, as was his rebounding. Was told to focus on D and therefore a liability in O, but he was the leading rebounder and was third in assists per game which is typical of a team player. Might be a victim of circumstances, but could be relegated to the bench next season if we get a centre. Might be sitting with Coops and Davo.
DJ: 26G, 9.1 ppg @ 47%, 3.7 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.7 bpg, 1.6 topg. Limited by court time and after the last game I wonder if Marty “McFly” Clarke now is looking for a Delorean to go back to round 1, then again I believe Marty has a plan for DJ. Definite keeper. Could be trade bait, then again if that happened Marty might get the Delorean out again in a few years time.
Jeff Dowdell: 26G, 4.3 ppg @ 43%, 2.6 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.2 spg, 0.1 bpg, 0.5 topg. Definitely the 10th man on the roster seeing only 11.6 mins per game, but those minutes have been invaluable to the team. Has taken plenty of charges and should be in contention for best defensive player. Would suggest he would still remain as #10 if retained, but could be traded in a three-way deal to get Luke back. GWS is after a centre half back and could fit into that role.
Brad Hill. 26G 8.6 ppg @ 44%, 3.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 1.3 topg. Has grown this season and despite what some punters think, has been consistent both at home and on the road. Potential captain in a few years. RETAIN.
Rhys Carter. 20G 8.4 ppg @ 36%, 3.4 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.1 bpg, 2.5 topg. The leading assister needs to work on his shooting in the off-season IMO. 27% from the arc is just below the team %, but needs to be sitting at 37% to be a superstar. Unlikely to be cut, but may be traded as part of the Luke Schenscher 3-way.
Mitchell Creek. 18G 5.7 ppg @ 46%, 2.4 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 1.3 topg. An exciting player and seems to be in Marty’s long term plans. Need to work on 3’s (1/11 not good enough) and 66% from the stripe is OK in juniors, but not in the NBL. Retain.
Eddie Shannon. 17G 9.3 ppg @ 38%, 2.6 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.1 bpg, 2.1 topg. Had a purple patch for a while, but seems too fumbly, too dribbly and too old. Filled a gap when we needed it, but a more permanent option is needed next season. Better options for an import for season are out there.
Darren Ng. 14G 8.6 ppg @ 48%, 2.0 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.4 spg, 0 bpg, 0.5 topg. (42% from the arc). Clearly our best shooter and most likely the next captain. Sensible player, but a bit risk adverse. Dr Jack says he should be retained to come off the bench to hitting the clutch.
Aaron Bruce. 13G 6.2 ppg @ 39% (38% from arc), 1.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.1 bpg, 1.6 topg. Right place at the right time meant he got a gig this season. One of the better shooters from the arc, but in a team with more guards that Yatala, will this be enough? A good couple of last games will help his case. The former ROTY might be a victim of circumstances as the last man on is the first man off much to the disgust of the female fans.
Tom Daly. 12G This crowd pleaser was never going to set the Dome alight this season playing trash time and learning his craft. Has showed enough to be invited into Marty's inner circle and should be back next year, definitely as a DP, maybe more.

Seems to me the Sixers are a good team playing badly.

Reply #312576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, back to back wooden spoons mate. We're rubbish.

The only half decent player we've got is Ballinger.

Reply #312579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Good team playing bad or a bad team playing bad"?

Does it make a difference?

We've already had a change in coach from last season with the hope that we had a good nucleus but with a coach not getting the most out of them.

This coach has gotten even less out of them!

Assuming the coach will be the same next season then returning almost the same team will bring the same results (assuming that the other teams don't get noticeably worse).

Saying things like Creek and Johnson are the best U24s in the NBL, and that Creek is a number 1 draft pick are euphamisms/propaganda which can see us end up in a trap which will see us on the bottom of the ladder for years to come if we fail to take steps to improve the roster and rather rely upon "development".

You just have to look at the NBA and AFL to see that some years the draft brings with it franchise players and other years the best you can hope for is a decent role player.

Creek and Johnson are yet to show me anything to suggest they will be the next Maher, Cattalini, Bradtke, Rillie, etc. You don't mind losing with Durant and Westbrook because anyone could see that those two players were future superstars.

Can the same thing be said about our young players?

I mean at one point people were comparing Daly to Maher after a 12 point game against Sydney that was clearly more Eric Burdon than Brett Maher.

Creek is a man child who of course is going to dominate U18s and U20s. But before we get ahead of the "number 1 draft pick, future franchise player" talk, he's shown less at NBL level than what Brad Hill did when he first became a 36er out of the AIS. Unless his shooting improves dramatically over the off-season, teams that have had an opportunity to scout him will only sag off him further next year.

Johnson was fantastic last week but he only got the minutes because Ballinger was injured. If Ballinger played, he would have played 20 minutes less and of course been less productive. Clarke has stubbornly played Ballinger at Centre and Johnson as back up all year, so with the same coach next year, I don't see this changing very quickly. Even once the season was gone, Clarke has not had confidence in DJ to play him major minutes.

Indeed the article saying that Clarkes first wish is a PG when he had 3 PGs on at the same time in crunch time and a supposed future Brett Maher on the bench does not instill me with much confidence for the future.

Reply #312582 | Report this post

bring it  
Years ago

moron, Creek IS well known internationally already. He is being watched by NBA and Euro teams already as they know the potential he has. If the 36ers didnt sign him people would be on here bagging them, they do sign him and you find a way to bag them still

Reply #312587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some quality players in the free agent list. The advertiser is reporting that Gibson is a chance. Schench in deep contract wit crocs.

Reply #312592 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jack, from the stats you have reported, I would say the 36ers are a bad team playing badly. Only 1 current player is averaging double digit points. Even with excuses that Ng and Herbert being out injured long term does not make a difference to our scoring ability as they are also both single digit average scorers. With the stats you presented, Ballinger averaging 15 points per game and the rest of the team (9 players) averaging around 6 points per game gives you an average game of less that 70 points. This is clearly showing why we haven't been able to win games, far too lean in the points department. We need some serious scorers on the team. The last 2 home games where we held a lead for 3/4 and lost it in the 4th showed that defense was not their problem but getting the ball through the hoop was. Hence 6 points in the last quarter of the Cairns game. The team do it tough in training with a very rigorous routine but what are they training? They are not keeping their shooting practice up.

Reply #312601 | Report this post

Kittle  
Years ago

Schenscher is NOT in a deep contract with the Crocs, he has a 1 year deal, and Adelaide are a decent chance of signing him if they do what they should do. At no point do the 6ers have an excuse to not sign him for 2011/12. I dont think they have the appropriate balls to make it happen, and we will struggle at the C position....again

Reply #312606 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Top post Jack. I hope the big three-way trade goes down LOL!

I do disagree with you that we are a good team playing badly though. End of last season I was saying give the players a bit more time to gel, but I just haven't seen enough from this group to believe they will ever get there.

I think the only current starter I would WANT to start again next year is Balls. And only at PF please!

DJ I could live with if we don't sign a gun centre like Schenscher (or perhaps Crosswhite - FA! Yes!).

Hill I could just cope with as long as we find two gun imports who can draw defenders and shoot the damn basketball.

Herbert might be an alternative starter if he is fully fit, but like Hill, he needs to be surrounded with a couple of gun offensive players.

Creek is already signed and is worth investing time in, but I agree with the anonymous poster above known as 'moron' that he has a lot work to do before he can become an impact NBL player.

Daly - I like what I have seen from him in a couple of games. Would be good to keep around as a dev player.

Carter would be good to keep as our backup PG. We need an impact starter at PG though. Gibson would be an improvement, but he never really impresses me that much. If the Sixers want to hit a home run, they've gotta get an Ervin or Corey Williams type.

Ng looked a little better to me just before he got hurt, but he is a microwave off the bench at best on a good team. Keep him only if something better doesn't come along.

One last thought: we could do a lot worse than sign Trey Gilder as our SF next season! After a slow start, I think he has been an impressive all round contributor for the Kings. Would have to have a PG who can shoot threes and get Balls and DJ shots though, to offset the fact Gilder isn't really a gun scorer.

Reply #312607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kittle was just posting wats on the ad website I hope your right n we are a chance to get schencher.

Reply #312608 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just tried to compared the Sixers to the Top 3: (forgive me if wrong...)

Rebounds: Sixers get 18% less rebounds
Assists: 5% less
Blocks: 12% less
Steals: 12% less
TO's: 13% less (?)
Fouls: 15% less
FG%: The same at 43% (NZB = 46%)
3P%: 17% less (29% v 35% - NZB = 37%)
FT%: 74% v 72%
FGM: 788 v 769 (-2%)
FGA: 1825 v 1774 (-3%)
3PM: 219 v 154 (-30%)
3PA: 632 v 535 (-15%)
FTM: 401 v 349 (-13%)
FTA: 553 v 470 (-15%)

Looks like a lack of aggression is the issue. Aggressive teams foul, block, rebound and steal more. I think the key stat there is the 3 point shooting. We have put up 15% less shots than the top 3, and made 30% less than them.

After last game we all know just how important 3 point shooting is .....

Reply #312611 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

All this talk of getting 'Big Red' back - why would he want to come back?

Crocs are playing well, he's fitted into their system and gets plenty of the ball and pressumably is earning a decent amount of $$.

Come back to Adelaide were he goes back to being a rebounder and defender who rarely gets offense run through him and when he does everyone stood around and watched instead of working of the big man (the Crocs are doing this remarkably well).

I would be very surprised if he came back.

Reply #312630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did I bag the 36ers for signing Mitch Creek?

I think he is a great signing.

I just question whether he is a franchise type player who will lead the 36ers deep into the play-offs in years to come.

I sincerely hope he is.

Saying I don't rate him up there with guys like Maher, Blakemore, Rillie, Cattalini, Bradtke, etc in their rookie years is hardly bagging the kid. And saying as a long term fan that Creek, Johnson and Daly do not inspire the confidence that we are watching the development of the Durant and Westbrook like stars of the NBL is hardly bagging any of those three players.

And I'm not talking about statistics either. His statistics may compare favourably with all of the above. I'm talking about that gut-feel that the entire Clipsal Powerhouse had when watching a young Brett Maher that the guy would be a future star.

I know I am not alone in saying that Creek has a long way to go and the shooting deficiencies are much harder to fix than a player such as Cadee getting bigger and stronger. Guys like Shaq, Julius Hodge have worked with the best shooting coaches in the world for hours on end and have never improved to a decent level.

If Creek does improve his shooting then he will be a gun.

I am merely pointing out that I refuse to give Clarke a "get out of jail free card" on the back of Creek and Johnson's signings.

Looking back at just 36ers history as opposed to NBL history and I stand by my comment that Hill demonstrated more long term potential when he debuted against Sydney Kings and then later Melbourne Tigers at home (against proper players like Gaze, Bradtke, etc and not the NBL players of today) than what Creek has.

Even Holmes and Forman at age 18 demonstrated potential to be future dominant players in the NBL.

Reply #312665 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Holmes (age 19) in his first season average 2.5 points per game and Oscar (age 20) in his first season averaged 3.3 points per game. Hardly showing potential to be future dominate players like you have made out to be. I think your opinion of the past is skewed. Players of today are better then Gaze, Bradtke etc

Creek is the best 18 year old in the country and just won the under 20s MVP. Other winners of that was Foreman, Burston, Maher (i think?) and many other good names.

Clarke Definately does not get a get out of jail free card from me either but deserves one more year.

Sam Mac couldn't shoot to start of his career but he turned out alright.

Reply #312667 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Should also be noted that Creek was the MVP at the Albert Schweitzer in Germany.

Past players at the tournament have been Magic, Sabonis, Petrovic, Tony Parker, Nowitzki to name just a few.

On pedigree alone he is in elite company. It has been mentioned that the most recent tournament featured a projected 14 first round picks of the future.

To have him in Adelaide is a massive coup.

Reply #312672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, also worth mentioning that Forman was a pretty nervy player for a few years in the NBL. Creek makes his mistakes and has room to grow, but he looks a lot more sure of himself as a very young rookie. Also has a strong build for his age.

I don't know if he'll definitely be a go-to player at NBL level, but he's on track to be a very useful piece.

I know it was only one game, but I thought Johnson showed great signs with a lot of pressure on him against Melbourne. Put three-point shooters around him and isolate him inside (like the Breakers do with Pledger) and I think he'd be even more effective and pick up some assists.

Reply #312677 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nothing is certain, but Creek definitely has potential to be a superstar of the NBL, providing he improves that shot.

Reply #312690 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I highly doubt Schenscher will come back to Adelaide - why would he? I have to agree with DJ Rod here and everything he noted along with the fact that Marty Clarke withdrew the Sixers offer to Schenscher this season.

I think we should be chasing the following players;

Gibson or Martin (PG)
Madgen(SG)
Newley and/or Barlow(SG or SF)
Rush (SF or PF)
Rickert (PF or C)

Youngsters to look at;
Delladova, Greenwood, Motum

Fill whatever spots we cant with the above names as imports...

Reply #312693 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kittle - Shcenscher is in deep contract TALKS with the Crocs, not a deep contract - yet. Which would allude to the fact that he is happy in Townsville and close to re-signing.

Sixers still cant 'officially' talk to him for a few weeks (unless the Crocs allow it which I doubt), in which time he could and will likely re-sign with the Crocs.

If you want reasons why he would re-sign with them and not us, refer to DJ Rods post.

Reply #312695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never said that Holmes or Forman were dominant at NBL level in their first season.

Much easier for a rookie to put up decent numbers when they get minutes on a wooden spoon team than it is to put up numbers sitting on the bench of a Championship team.

If I recall correctly, Holmes likewise put up big numbers in junior comps and may have won an MVP of the Albert Schweitzer competition at a similar age. He impressed at ABA level from age 16.

Oscar was a 6'9" athlete who could shoot the ball as well as any other 36er on the team.

Both had enormous potential and the 36ers did well to secure both as they certainly had other opportunities.

I hope as much as anyone that Creek succeeds and becomes an All Time 36er great. I'm just making the point that I don't think he is a ready made, can't miss future superstar of the NBL...yet.

I mean Lachlan Armfield beat Brett Maher for rookie of the year but anyone could tell from early on that Maher was destined for greatness. Do you guys see the same potential in Creek? I mean he's been training under Clarke and Radford the entire season and I have seen no improvement in his outside shot or confidence to take the outside shot.

Julius Hodge aside, I can't think of a SG or SF that has dominated with range of approximately 5 feet. The Sam Mackinnon comparison is interesting. The challenge will rest with Clarke to develop Creek's mid range game in the same manner that Mackinnon developed under Goorjian.

Reply #312703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mackinnon is the comparison I heard before Creek was signed. He averaged 5.5 PPG as a rookie and then 10+ from then on despite not really hitting his shooting straps straight away.

Not sure how quickly Creek will come along but I do think we had to grab him. Once we had him and so many parts of the roster seemed to malfunction (e.g., Howard for one thing), I see nothing strange in throwing him minutes.

Reply #312716 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Creek will be a champ, just give hime time!

Is Creek a younger rookie than the likes of McKinnon, Holmes, Forman etc?

Reply #312725 | Report this post

Pallas 18  
Years ago

KingJames.... So which Australian currently playing in the NBL is better than Gaze at his peak?

Reply #312782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754