Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Free Agents

A write up on the advertiser website regarding free agents, Gibson n schenchser.

Rival clubs can only negotiate with free agents two weeks after the conclusion of the grand final series, unless they have special permission from the player's existing club.

Adelaide 36ers: Darren Ng, Brad Hill, Nathan Herbert, Jacob Holmes, Jeff Dowdell, Rhys Carter, Craig Winder, Troy DeVries, Eddie Shannon, Ron Howard, Aaron Bruce, Tom Daly, Jan Warbout.

Cairns Taipans: Aaron Grabau, Dusty Rychart, Ian Crosswhite, Phill Jones, Ayinde Ubaka, Ronald Dorsey, Dean Brebner, Lindsay Tait, Deba George, Gareth Dawson, James Mitchell, Christopher Daniel, Daniel Dillon.

Gold Coast Blaze: Adam Gibson, James Maye, Pero Vasiljevic, Shaun Gleeson, Darryl Hudson, Ira Clark, Ater Majok, Luke Kendall, Brendon Teys.

Melbourne Tigers: Lucas Walker, Luke Nevill, Eric Devendorf, Darryl Corletto. TJ Campbell, Corey Williams, Yusuf Qaafow, Bo Westover, Moses Adepoju, Robbie Stone, Thomas Stephens, Edin Zunic.

New Zealand Breakers: CJ Bruton, Paul Henare, Leon Henry, Gary Wilkinson, Kevin Braswell, Kirk Penney, Josh Bloxman, Benny Anthony

Perth Wildcats : Brad Robbins Kevin Lisch Andre Brown Greg Hire Jarrad Prior Jarrod Balcombe Damian Martin Cameron Tovey (option), Jesse Wagstaff .

Sydney Kings: Blagoj Janev, Graeme Dann, Luke Cooper, Luke Martin, Taj McCullough, Ben Knight, Damien Ryan, Rob Grizzard, Jared Scoines, Ben Madgen, Patrick Sanders, Trey Gilder, Mark Dickel, Joel Wagner, Kevin White, Ben Hollis, Jarred Weeks.

Townsville Crocodiles: Peter Crawford, Luke Schenscher, Nathan Crosswell, Gabe Freeman, Will Blalock, Brad Williamson, Rosell Ellis, Chris Cedar, Keegan Tudehope.

Wollongong Hawks: Tim Behrendorff, Dan Jackson, Gary Ervin, Tyson Demos, Zac Delaney, Jordan Berry .

Other players (included by request): Greg Vanderjagt, Daniel Joyce, Cameron McCallum, Tanner Kerry, Galen Young, Kevin Johnson, David Vanderjagt.

Topic #25243 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The story is here

Adelaide 36ers: Darren Ng, Brad Hill, Nathan Herbert, Jacob Holmes, Jeff Dowdell, Rhys Carter, Craig Winder, Troy DeVries, Eddie Shannon, Ron Howard, Aaron Bruce, Tom Daly, Jan Warbout.

Reply #312605 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It would have been easier to name who is contracted! Thats 90% of the players

Reply #312617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hinder, Petrie, M Knight, etc all signed already.

Reply #312646 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Slightly off topic but has Daniel Joyce played since his old man left the NBL?

Reply #312669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No joyce has been concentrating on uni in ballarat/dominating seabl for the miners. Will probably only go back for the right offer, ie wont take anything.

Reply #312674 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

We need a upgrade at starting C, PG, SG, SF

From players on that list who are peoples first couple of choices

mine are

PG - Gibson, D.Martin,retain Bruce and Carter combo (assuiming Clarke wants a Aussie or insert Ervin and Williams into this list with Gibson)
SG - Lisch, Madgen, Dillon, Crawford
SF - Madgen, Crawford, Galen Young
C - Schenscher,Crosswhite, Vanderjagt

Then use our current players such as Bruce, Carter,Hill, Holmes, Dowdell, Herbert, Daly as the backups depending on needs and points/salary available

If we got my 1st choices in each position we could end up with something like

Gibson/Bruce
Lisch/Herbert
Madgen/Creek
Ballinger/Holmes
Schenscher/Johnson

Reply #312692 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Need to hard for one of Ervin , Gibson and Martin
Hell get 2 and start one at SG :)

Also go after Madgen and Tovey.

Majok would be a good backup big as well

Get good Aussies and worry about imports once the rest of the team is set

Reply #312696 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ira Clark ultimately did very well in the NBL.
I think Europe will try to lure him at a price too high for the NBL.

Reply #312697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns article talking about their plans. They have Loughton and Williams signed and are looking to lock up their core. Fearne mentions Crosswhite as their first target.

You'd think they'd want to keep Dillon. Probably Rychart too, depending on the price. Not sure if I'd be locking in those imports - guess the team has been successful with them, but they might wonder if they can upgrade?

Reply #312722 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

interesting, so the only 2 very good centres available are crosswhite and schensch...

and would be very hard to entice crosswhite since cairns have made him their first target and other clubs would be after him as well.

so it looks like it schensch for us (hopefully), or import centre?

i dont think majok solves the problem for us really.

i would be ok with getting a brute pf to rotate with dj next year ( a player that doesnt have to be 7ft but at least bigger than balls (lol). they could rotate between dj and balls. should be more 6'9/ 6'10 players out there that could come here and do that surely?? would be perfect for our import. could release holmes then as well. then with dj/ balls/ import we could take advantage of ng/ carter/ top aussie guard (?) shooting.

Reply #312723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sadly, I don't think Schenscher is going to happen. Crocs have first dibs, 36ers can't talk to him, and he's enjoyed it up there. All they have to do is give him a decent enough payrise after a strong season and he'll be off the market.

Cairns will probably be able to lock up Crosswhite too.

Reply #312732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 or so months 4 some1 to mentor Harris full time wherever he is playing. If we can get Gibson or equivalent then we can get athletic/tall 3 man that can rebound. Dj just has to start

Reply #312742 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

To me, it might be working on stamina for Harris.
From what I've seen , he blocks, cuts, dunks pretty good, at first, at training.
Later, Johnson kills him, Creek dunks on him and he turns it over.

Reply #312745 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its not looking good for the Sixers to get Schenscher back - the Crocs have to be in the box seat there. Can't see us getting Crosswhite either.

Majok isn't a realistic choice, as we don't need two big man projects trying to support Balls and he would also probably ask a pretty penny for a near rookie!

Whats happening with Rick Rickert these days? I liked what he brought in the couple of years I saw him. Did he ever naturalise?

Don't know if he is interested in a return to Oz, but if he is fit and not too old, his aggression and rebounding would be a good complement to Balls and DJ.

Reply #312746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would u use an import spot on rickert? Wat about behrendorf? Let's just start dj n get another cheap centre to block the lane n get some rebounds. Surely Harris at 7'1 can block the lane n put of shots 4 5 mins a game? If we get Gibson that's an improvement on shannon then we get 2 solid imports balls n dj. Gd imports r the key after getting Gibson.

Reply #312754 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

?? who is deba george?? and the last thing we need, even by the coaches admission is a back-up guard. they stated we are 2 boomers away from a successful team one being a pg. and we are targeting a pg...

wait, just googled george, he is an 183cm guard development/ academy player from cairns who is 27 yrs old and playing where now??

doesnt sound good to me and what makes you think he will be at the 6ers next season?? hunch?

Reply #312761 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i never saw rickert but could be good for us.... where is he now??

was thinking neilson is gettin gold and may want to come back home soonish but still has a yr to go on his mega contract

Reply #312762 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If Schenscher doesnt happen and Crosswhite stays in Cairns i want us to go for a Mottram or Vanderjagt type, who could split the minutes with Johnson and as long as Ballinger plays at the pf spot and Johnson and say Vanderjagt split the minutes we should be ok in C/pf rotation, as Johnson has shown glimpses of what he is capable not only Friday night but he did well last year when Anstey was out, so if we cant get Schensch id like to give Johnson the start and good minutes to shine with a Vanderjagt/Mottram backing up.

I dont really like import C's, if we get 2 imports i want it to be a combo guard who can shoot like Lisch or Devries (or Devendorf who may be a cheaper option and looked ok to me), and a athletic versatile sf who can swing to sg and pf when required, can play tough defense and score a bit (Dave Thomas mould) my suggestion of a recent NBLer is Tremell Darden. But am happy to go with one or no imports if we can get a few good aussies instead.

My team i listed earlier is pretty well an ideal sort of team short of bringing someone like Newley home, but if we cant get any top Aussie free agents id like us to go with something like

Johnson/Vanderjagt
Ballinger/Holmes or Hill
IMPORT (Darden)/Creek
IMPORT (Devendorf)/Herbert
Bruce/Carter

That to me would seem to be very acheivable and should be our worse case team, with Darden the hardest one to get from Europe, but surely we could get a half decent fresh face import sf if need be. If we put together a team worse than that i think most would be very dissapointed, and that team should be alot better than this years, having 2 imports for a full season, with Creek and Bruce for a full season after a good nbl pre-season and giving Johnson more of a shot and Ballinger back at pf to me would get us atleasrt 5 more wins.

Reply #312764 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Start with a coach who has a clue Jonno!

U had Sam Harris & didnt play him - he wont be back!!

Good luck bringing good players to Adelaide - he'll get the kids & the 3 year program will go for 12...

Reply #312772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were in a bit of trouble can't see much changing. ATM Clark is talking the talk but not walking the walk. 36ers have the best followers maybe it's time the club spends some money n invest some time in players 1 on 1 Johnson/ Harris etc. Get some ex greats out to help out Rees, Davis n maher. Time to turn this club around. I'm ok 4 a 3 yr plan but we need to c improvement even if it's slight not like this yr.

Reply #312778 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed that Burston was a keeper here with Ninnis
and that Burston was keen to stay here
but Clarke didn't even speak to him. Not good.
Schenscher and Burston were both keen to play for the Adelaide 36ers this season.
Now we're a little short.

Reply #312783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep 1 of those 2 would hv helped our team alot now thanks to our coach we were under the pump in that position all yr. If so keen on Johnson play him from the start.

Reply #312784 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was keen on Adrien Sturt but Ninnis went Cooper and didn't play Copper much either.

Two good years in Europe. NBA Euro camps and some interest there as well as British National Team invite . Will play Big V , this season.
Born in ADL with a South Australian name.
I wonder whether he'd come back here.

Reply #312789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great call aiden would b a gd addition to the team

Reply #312790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson/sturt
Balls
Import/Creek/Bose
Import/Bruce/hill
Gibson/Carter

Reply #312793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting Johnson is a no. We'll get killed again without a good aussie or import Centre.

You don't need a 15ppg centre, even 10ppg will do. Just get a good rebounder/defender in the centre.

Reply #312798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were r we going to get a centre that just rebounds n defends? all the gd ones are or will be signed up. Have a look at holmes great rebounder solid defender but no offence. its like playing a man short on offence not like his a d boucher that can pass well and set up team mates. just should have kept luke n dj back up. now its either dj start or waste a import sport on a centre.

Reply #312832 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was pre-season.., .. and Luke Schenscher was playing for the Adelaide 36ers.
' Those of you who wanna be Centres.' I called out to my son's u16s watching the game. 'Watch Big Luke closely.' I advised them.
Adrien Sturt rejected Schenscher's first few jump hooks, outplayed him for most of the game and they began to cheer for Sturt, even though he was playing for the Melbourne Tigers, against us.
Later, Sturt 31/18 outplayed Crosswhite 18/12 , in the Big V , came here for training , but we didn't sign him.
While even Captain Sturt sailed up the river murray to be one of our first settlers.

Reply #312836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re sturt there is a write up from his big v coach n its says sturt will play as big of a part as tommy greer n cam tradgah in there team.

Reply #312840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '793, my latest was structured almost similarly:

Gibson/Carter
Barlow/(Ng or Herbert)
Dorsey/Creek
Ballinger/Young
Johnson/(Dowdell or Vanderjagt, etc)

Can extend Carter and Dowdell on their existing points values. Hope Gibson stays a 9. Young is a 9 (and looking to naturalise maybe?) while Ng or Herbert could be appealed downwards? Dorsey could be a 9 or 10 after this season - hard to know.

Comes to around 70 points and after asking around, I think it could fit the cap depending on Barlow's asking price. I allowed just over $200k for Barlow which would be top-tier in the NBL.* Ng and Herbert would be on similar salaries so you could pick between bench scoring power and a defender that covers PG-SF.

Four of the five starters could hit from outside (Dorsey is 40% 3P and seems to have got his 12+ PPG quietly up in Cairns). Young would be the enforcer off the bench. For patches, play Ballinger as C and Young as PF. Minimal time for Dowdell. Barlow or Herbert could easily double at SF as well if you wanted to run Gibson and Carter together.

Potentially no one in that team from Adelaide, but if they were winning, I'm not sure that many would mind. Ballinger has been here for years and Carter has been quick favourite for many, Herbert too.

Changes are effectively:

Young in for Holmes (upgrade? Can rebound too.)
Dorsey in for Hill (upgrade; can hit the three)
Barlow in for Howard (upgrade)
Gibson for Shannon (upgrade; 12 PPG at Blaze)

That'd be a Boomers backcourt, adds outside shooters, has some decent defenders, etc.

Remaining issue is leadership and you could try a rotating captain policy, or a leadership group of Gibson, Ballinger and Barlow so Balls can relax and play his game.

* Approx salary ranking:
Barlow
Ballinger
Gibson
Johnson
Dorsey
Young
Carter
Ng/Herbert
Creek
Dowdell

Reply #312842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that galen young isaac? I like your team would keep bruce instead of ng/herbert if salary or points permit but im guessing his on more salary? I would try n keep hill somehow/if possible he is not a starter but can provide lots of the bench.

Reply #312846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, Galen Young. Not expensive, interested in the NBL (two stints here before, plus has his name on the early free agent list) and might be a bit of a glue guy - championship with Perth and made the finals with Townsville. Here are his boxscores from the 2007/08 season.

Reply #312854 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Make it happen Isaac!

Reply #312857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep that would b a perfect team. Youngs toughness n rebounding makes up 4 dj's defense. In saying that dj would improve if he had played more mins. Young would also b gd 4 dj at training. Would take sanders over Dorsey if possible. Any possible chance we could get Barlow? Any connection to Clark?

Reply #312860 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like that team Isaac, though I'd prefer to keep Ng over Dowdell if possible. I would run a starting line-up of Ballinger, Barlow, Dorsey, Herbert and Gibson. The defensive abilities of the other four would mean Ballinger could cover the centre position, and the speed in that line-up would allow Clarke to play the quicker, pressure style he wants.

Remember that Brisbane started Mackinnon or Rychart at centre, Dragons used Vukona or Worthington for half a game, Perth have been using Matt Knight, NZ Gary Wilkinson, Gold Coast had Petrie last year and Clark this year. You can be successful with an undersized centre, as long as your defence in other positions is good and you exploit the advantage at the offensive end.

Reply #312864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, not sure about Barlow as PF but you'll also have a hard time trying to sell most Hoops folk on Ballinger at centre. Many have it down as a key reason for our failings.

Reply #312873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Start with
Dj
Balls
Dorsey/sanders type
Barlow
Gibson

That's a great offensive team. Athletic 3 man that can rebound. Gibson can run the floor quick which prob only hinders balls game a bit. Young comes of bench and provides toughness n rebounding.

Reply #312875 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Why not Barlow at pg?
:P

Reply #312876 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I'd love to get Dorsey, he is exactly the type of import we need. Super athletic, reasonable shooter, a slasher who can finish above the rim. get it done!

Is Barlow looking to come home? I would prefer to go after Newley if possible but if not Barlow would be fantastic.

Reply #312878 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

like your line up isaac, and Galen Young fits the versatile SF that i think we need and would bring some inside toughness and hopefully will come on a cheapish import wage.

The only change i would make is i would keep Bruce over Carter, but it really is a 50/50, i just think that with a aba season and full pre-season under his belt Bruce is going to be the better player and has more star potential and if we have Gibson and Herbert they would make up for losing some of Carters defensive toughness, i dont think Bruce has looked to bad defensively anyway. I would consider keeping both Bruce and Carter as the back up guards if they can have stronger aba/pre-season form than Herbert or Ng.

Id chose Herbert over Ng and Vanderjagt over Dowdell also as i think they are the 2 better players and shouldnt cost any more, and Herberts defensive play may be usefull with keeping Bruce over Carter.

Which would leave us with

Gibson/Bruce
Barlow/Herbert
Dorsey/Creek
Ballinger/Young
Johnson/Vanderjagt

No SA players there but if we can Get Newley and Schenscher (and swap Vanderjagt out for Holmes or Hill) inplace of the imports which would give us the 2 best SA players in the league.

Reply #312879 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree about selling Ballinger to hoops folk being tough, Isaac!! But he is as much a centre as Wilkinson, Rychart, M Knight etc.

As for Barlow, he started at PF for Melbourne when they made the 09 grand final, so having him swinging between the two forward positions isnt really controversial.

Reply #312880 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, I agree and I think Ballinger might as well. He's said in an interview that PF and C are interchangeable in their system. He's a similar size to half of the centres around.

Jonno, why not keep Carter, Gibson, Herbert, etc and just run a brutal defensive team? Not like those guys can't score anyway. Carter gambles a bit, but he's tough, gets steals and won a championship with Gibson previously. I just don't know about Bruce. I think his ceiling is higher as a scorer, but it's probably a bit more of a gamble and I don't think the team can take too many gambles next season after so many years floundering.

Reply #312883 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea good point re Carter instead of Bruce, i really do think its a 50/50 choice,

i chose Bruce because i think he will by far be the better offensive player, could see him averaging 12-15 pts 5 assists in the NBL if givin the opportunity and can make some exciting plays offensively and will have some big 20+ point 5-10 assist games from time to time and to me is ok defensively, he could playe the maher like pg/sg role imo. Given that Herbert and Gibson are not huge scorers i think Bruce's extra scoring and offensive ability could be handy.

where Carter i couldnt see him offensively going past what he has done this year around 8pts 5assist from memory, so not much difference to Bruce other than scoring, but Carter is the better defensive player, and i cant see him having many/if any real big offensive nights.

I guess it comes down to what style of team, if you want a wildcats type brutal defensive backcourt then Carter is your man, if you want a more free flowing scoring team, which is still ok defensively (which is my preference) then Bruce is your man.

Ill be happy either way aslong as we get someone like Gibson or a Newley/Barlow or stud import to join one of them in the back court and win more, and if we dont get Gibson my preference is to keep Bruce and Carter at PG instead of trying for a import pg.

Reply #312887 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Article mentioning Lisch's situation with the Cats:

Lisch starred in last season's grand final series and was a priority signing last year, but he knocked back the two-year contract offered in favour of a one-year deal.

The American guard has applied for an Italian passport, which would open the door to cashed-up European clubs, but that would not affect his decision.

"I absolutely love it here, love playing for Bevo and love my team, but I won't make that decision until the end of the season," Lisch said.
Perth have a policy of not entering contract negotiations until the end of the season.

Reply #312894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great team lads easy as that. now 4 the 36ers to get it done :). i would have bruce over carter personally. after a pre season think he would end up being a better player. What about a young sturt over vanders? wow i wish we could get this done.

Reply #312901 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

so sounds like lisch might be weighing up europe?

i dont think he would be looking at another nbl club though, but on more than one occasion a player has gone looking and come back to find his previous club full, so we might have an opportunity there. although with that said ild hope we use our one imoprt on a c/pf

Reply #312915 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he will be back. Apparently there is a factor in Perth more important than basketball. Is she still on the scene?

Reply #312922 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bruce - didn't play any basketball for 18months
then straight back into the NBL .
' Can't be judged on that. '

Sturt - Some things are too hot to touch.

Reply #312996 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Where has Galen Young played the last year or so and what sort of numbers is he getting there?

Reply #313144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Kevin Ratszch as an import option?

Reply #313146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754