LC
Years ago

Blaze Release Majok for NBA Draft Preparations

The Gold Coast Blaze have released Ater Majok as Majok wished to ramp up his preparations for the upcoming NBA Draft.

Apparently Majok still has eligibility for the 2011 NBA Draft through his time at University of Connecticut, and is seeking out training-camp opportunities in the US prior to the Draft in June.

Blaze release Majok for NBA Draft preparations

Topic #25249 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

i honestly cannot see him getting drafted...

has physical talent, and his skill isnt too bad but ild imagine needs to go along way to getting better.

if mills and jawai go late in the nba draft and i make out both to be far better than majok i cant see him getting a gig, at least not that way. must be hopeing to get noticed by someone and put somewhere outside the nba??

dont take this as majok bashing he will be a good player, just cant see him anywhere near the skill levels of a neilson/ anderson at all.

hopefully he can make it to his fullest potential, would be a very handy addition to the boomers.

Reply #312724 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Neither. I'm not sure why he just doesn't work hard in the NBL and try to build on his opportunities here? Newley, Ingles, Barlow, Nielsen and Jawai all showed they could get it done in the NBL before tackling tougher leagues.

Majok supporters will point to his efficiency and MPG but if he were really that good, he'd be getting every minute ahead of guys like Garlepp and Trueman.

Reply #312726 | Report this post

foley79  
Years ago

This is the funniest thing i have heard all day. I say good luck to him but I think I have a better chance of winning the lotto than he has in getting a NBA contract. I say don't be surprise if we see him in the gold and purple next year as a bench warmer for them.

Reply #312728 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Maybe a case of family and entourage (hangers on) telling him to go for it and putting pressure on him to do it?

Do not really see NBA potential in the guy personally. Looks average even in the NBL. Good luck though.

Reply #312733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good post phil - declaring for the draft isnt necesarily for the sole for the purpose of making the NBA.the process is effectively an audition for many leagues around the world as well.

so while we all might agree he isnt going to make the NBA next season or even get drafted, the process is still a great opportunity for a young australian to showcase his talents to the basketball world & hopefully make a good living out of it somewhere like jawai,ingles,newley are doing now.

outside of an injury, worst case is he comes and plays a full season in the nbl next year. he would be foolish not to have a shot at the draft process though if he is elligible.whatever happens, he will be a much better player from the expereince and maybe we can use him in the national team at someday.

Reply #312734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a case of family and entourage (hangers on) telling him to go for it and putting pressure on him to do it?

That was supposedly the reason he left Connecticut to early go and play in a second-tier Turkish league.

I'd suggest his agent/adviser isn't too flash either.

Reply #312739 | Report this post

manute bol  
Years ago

If Trey Gilder can play NBA, then Majok is worth a 10 day contract but won't get drafted I reckon.

Reply #312753 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i had high hopes when i first heard of the guy and we dont really know whats going on behind the scenes but...........

with the accepting college / walking away from college, flitting from team to team, and some of the stories coming out of perth and having some experience with sudanese kids im a bit worried. i hope he buckles down and does the hard yards and succeeds.

Reply #312758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have you ever met that person that was so full of it that when they spoke they actually believed what they were saying, but in your eyes there was that high amount of crap with the story?

Ator Majok some how makes me have that feel to him..his posse obviously tell him things he wants to hear, and good luck..but NBA? hmm..

Sydney next year as a benchie!

Reply #312785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This coming NBA draft is considered very weak so some team may take a late second round gamble on him if he impresses. What has he got to lose by going over trying out? The NBL will always be here for him.

Marty should be trying to recruit this guy next year, he is just what the Sixers need. DJ is a small forward in a centre's body and we have no other centre. If Marty is this so called 'great teacher'the 6ers would be a perfect fit for him, and Marty's discipline will only do him a world of good.

Reply #312787 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think that Anon (reply #312734) is pretty much spot on. Regardless whether or not Majok has the ability to get drafted into the NBA (hey, stranger things have happened you know.....), he'd be crazy not to go over there while still eligible. He has some good skills, that much is obvious, despite what some people here think and going over there will help him develop those skills. He could go over there as he is now, a player with potential and come back a player ready to realise that or even better. He just needs to knuckle down and abide by their rules and not his own if he is going to get anywhere.

Sure, I doubt he'll be drafted, even by a Cleveland side currently doing their best to show that LeBron James was a one man show. At best he'd end up in the D-League, earning a 10 game NBA contract here and there. But in terms of his overall game, he'll be much better for it because he'll be mentored by the best in the world and if he does come back to the NBL after the draft is done, depending on his attitude, he may turn into a pretty consistent or even dominant centre/power forward for any team in the league......except Perth. I have a feeling the Wildcats would think twice.

I know there are a lot of people that don't think Majok is worth it, that at best he's a bench warmer for even the bottom NBL teams. But I believe he has a lot more to offer an NBL team more than just someone to give team starters a few minutes rest. The guy is 6'10 and has a reported wingspan of near 213cm (7'0). He can be developed, he just needs to listen to those that know, not those who think they know (how do you spell entourage) and he needs to work hard at everything, on and off the court.

Reply #312795 | Report this post

bushwill bill  
Years ago

WNBA....definitely has a shot!

Reply #312806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this so called entourage? My guess is that they consist of four blind men and small jack russel dog. Is it no coincidence that Uconn have made it through to the sweet 16 without him? Every decision made by this clown and his "entourage" screams comedy hour.

Reply #312807 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

He'll find a home in the D-League for the next few years methinks. Either that, or he will make a living off of being a sub for injury waivers league wide.

Could be an NBL Team whore.

Reply #312808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '787, if Majok was that good, don't you think 'teacher' Bevo would've already locked him up?

Reply #312814 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whether you like the guy or not, he has physical attributes that are not commonplace in the NBL. He has legitimate size, length and athleticism rarely seen in the NBL.

Good luck to him on his NBA aspirations - he should not be knocked for giving it a crack. However he then needs to knuckle down and work hard on improving his game, something that has by all accounts let him down previously.

Reply #312815 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I'd rather be developing him instead of Sam Harris.

Reply #312835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ineedmore, 11th man and 4-5 minutes in a season might be a step down from what Majok is expecting!

Reply #312837 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

He does seem to be expecting a lot, I'll give you that.

Reply #312844 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd let him play NZ Nbl and that's about it ;)

Reply #312849 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

One thing he has got going for him is size - I've noticed in the past couple of years, teams like to use their late first round/second round picks on big men if they're available.

Reply #312863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

explain to me what chris andersen has that majok lacks..

Reply #312892 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An NBA contract?

Reply #312897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA lol!

Reply #312899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA lol!

Exactly. The guy is a middling level role player in the NBL for FFS.

Reply #312909 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, well for starters andersons skill level, work ehtic, and ability to use his big frame are miles ahead of majok. i dont think the word miles even cuts it. light years.

Reply #312912 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I have to admit that when his contract with the Wildcats was coming to an end I wished that Adelaide would have made a play for Ater Majok. Realistically, his physical attributes alone are something that the 36ers lacked. Below DJ @ 212cm, our next tallest is Ballinger @ 205. Being 208cm tall, Majok would have filled the void in there and would have given that extra centre/power forward option that we lacked. I know Jeff Dowdell is also 205cm tall but I think Majok would put up better numbers here in Adelaide.

Why do I feel like I need to duck behind the wall to avoid the stones that are sure to be thrown at me for saying Majok and Adelaide in the same paragraph? LOL

Reply #312947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

second round pick isnt out of the question.doesnt mean he will get signed or play though.

Reply #312948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Bevo has no need to lock up Majok considering he was only a replacement for Knight. Knight is clearly the starter when healthy, im sure Majok would soon tire of coming off the bench considering he has been a Boomer already. I dare say Bevo knew he wouldnt stick around for long, so why develop him and put in the hours for another club to reep the rewards?

If Majok is a bit of a brat like some are reporting, Bevo doesnt need to bother with him having Knight already. Who do the 36ers have thats better than Majok at his position? Trying to sign Majok makes a lot of sence for the Sixers, love him or hate him.

Reply #312986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd take Ballinger and Johnson over Majok, to start. He's just not worth the hassle for the price he'd be asking. At least with a guy like Holmes even, you get someone committed to the program (however limited he is) who isn't getting NBA fantasies every five minutes. When was the last time Majok stayed put for longer than a few games? Majok might be worth an 11th man role as a gamble (like Harris for the 36ers this year) or no guaranteed minutes as last man signed, but the 36ers need calculated signings more than ever rather than rolling dice in a key position on someone spending his NBA pension before he's really excelled in even the NBL.

Since when does 'Boomer' mean you need to have some expectation of starting? Greenwood was on that tour of China. It was a B or C team. Bevo didn't seem miffed about losing him (Knight or no Knight - hell, they are running Trueman on a multi-year deal ahead of someone like Majok) and the Blaze wrote all of a three-line press release for Majok's departure. The NBL almost invited scoffing when they tweeted about it.

If Majok was committed, he would've got bulk time in a Blaze team who lost Wortho, Petrie, and Vasiljevic. He would've picked up some of Hoare's minutes and he would've kept Garlepp off the court. But he didn't. He changed some shots and complained to refs when he couldn't make a close bucket.

I'd like to give a young guy credit for effort and patience but Majok's ego appears to be some way ahead of his actual game right now.

A big thing I've picked up from following NBL closely for the last decade or so is how important team chemistry is and how much coaches will favour someone who just follows instructions and works hard. Look at the talent that's dropped by the wayside (Leven, Conn, Cullen, Rice, etc) because those guys just couldn't pull their head in, stick to the plan, etc. Meanwhile, Trueman is in the league, Cooper got year after year and Henare is still running around.

With hindsight, Majok might've at least been more interesting to watch than Ron Howard, but for next year I think he'd be a risk.

Reply #312993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Isaac. He is a good pickup for a team that can afford for him not to turn out (ie a top team or a team that has other options at centre), but for Adelaide looking to improve significantly they just cant afford to take the gamble. On top of that, while Johnson has never been consistent he has certainly shown more than Majok in his best games.

Reply #312994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think we have seen the best of majok here to be honest.do you guys think that what he has shown in the nbl as a back up centre is really all he has got? he isnt going to come in midseason and get a heap of shots on teams that are trying to win.he was brought in as a role player on both occasions yet people criticise him for being a role player in the nbl?thats worse than using his numbers at uconn against him when he is a starting freshman on a team with 3 seniors plus kemba walker on it.the reality is he just isnt going to get that many offensive opportunities.

i wouldnt expect him to seek a long term nbl contract before exhausting the draft process and opportunities overseas and if you were in his position, would you not want to go through the draft process yourself and increase your exposure overseas? for the position he is in, its a pretty easy decision. if he is as bad or not worth it as some of you say then he will get a wake up call and be back in the nbl or wherever next season.

you also gotto remember that while the concensus amongst fans seems to be that he wont be drafted, majok wont need nba concensus in order to get drafted.he only needs one team to like him.also important to keep in mind that he has been playing centre here.he wont be playing centre in nba try outs. the point is, he is going to have a lot more opportunity to show his skills in the US than he got here.(more opportunity to get exposed as well)

the problem majok is going to have in the nbl is that his player ranking is currently a 9 beleive it or not. not sure if that gets reviewed however.so you'd think any team that intends on signing him for a full season will be looking to play him significant minutes.i reckon its good in that it gives us all another point of interest during the offseaosn.going to be interesting to see how he goes and how right or wrong we all have been:)

Reply #313040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^
You don't require assistance to see at all do you?

Reply #313113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^
no, i just have more of a clue than you do.

Reply #313278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^
I'm Sorry, you must be the Jack Russel part of the entourage then!

Reply #313324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^
no,just providing some observations.
which part of the post in particular cant you handle?

Reply #313459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we were on the supporters tour of sydney and wollongong and it was clear something is not right with this guy, it seemed theey couldn't wait for him to leave, they could have kept him for the wollongong game if they wanted but released him early because of the gc contract

Reply #313838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats not quite right.once wagstaff played against the kings on friday night - majok was NOT allowed to play for perth in wollongong and therefore no good reason to take him down there.while he was in the middle of wollongong,the wildcats then released him and told him to make & pay his own way back to perth.

no person deserves that kind of treatment from a professional basketball team.we'll see what happens with some of the other guys at the wildcats.wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if some choose not to return to the club.

Reply #313886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing with Majok is that he has the whole package-height, wingspan and most importantly he is ATHLETIC. Sure there are a fair amount of 6'10 guys in Australia but most of them are awkward/unathletic and don't really have much potential. Hard work beats talent only when talent doesn't work hard.

Reply #331294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Perth, hasnt most of their team committed to long term contracts the past couple of years?

Reply #331301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only Majok the 36ers should consider is Majok Deng if he continues to develop.

Reply #331316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754