Tornado
Years ago

Best Aussie Baller in the Collegiate System?

Who is the best young Aussie talent in the US college system?

Topic #25250 | Report this topic

bjf  
Years ago

by definition this guy is far and away the best

Reply #312730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

irving is aussie?
awesome!!

bose is the obvious choice but i dont mind guys like jeromie hill, brock motum & dellavedova.

Reply #312735 | Report this post

bjf  
Years ago

cant play boomers but can play nbl as an aussie due to dual citizenship

Reply #312738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT? Any proof/link irving is australian?

a real shame he cant play boomers as he probably would given usa team is out of question.

also dont think we will see him in nbl. maybe 36ers if there is a lockout?

Reply #312755 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

its true

check out

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/10_mu18_q_a_irving.html

Would be awesome to get him here as a aussie to play NBL, but doubt it would happen atm.

Reply #312757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was born here while his dad was playing ball here

Reply #312774 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

According to the article Jonno gave the link to, Kyrie Irving, despite being born here, has chosen to play for the USA over the Boomers, mostly because he see's a better future in that. To me he's thinking NBA in the future because NBA teams and their scouting systems would see more of him not only playing for Duke University but in the American national team than they would him playing for the Boomers or even here in the NBL.

Unless you're over in the US and in their system, sometimes you can be forgotten about. A player here or even in Europe putting up big numbers wouldn't get as much attention as an NCAA or D-League player putting up the same.

Reply #312777 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kyrie Irving may have been born in Australia,but he will never play for Australia.

Check out my rankings in the NCAA Aussie thread.

Reply #312779 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

He could be the point guard Marty is referring to .....

Reply #312809 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Irving will be going to the NBA and not the NBL.

Reply #312812 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

this guy is bound for 1st round nba draft once his college career is over

Reply #312813 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

By all accounts he is a top 3 pick in this year's draft if he leaves after just 1 injury interrupted season of basketball...

Reply #312816 | Report this post

manute bol  
Years ago

can bose make the nba?

Reply #312850 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australian "NCAA Div 1 College Watch" - 2010/11

As taken from the above thread:

Here are my selections for the 2010/11 NCAA Division I Season "Aussie Awards"...

Australian "All American" NCAA Division I Team...
1. Anatoly Bose / Sr / G / Nicholls State
Stats: 22.0ppg, 5.7rpg, 2.2apg, 1.4spg, 39.0%FG, 32.5%3PT, 79.3%FT
Ranked 9th in the nation in scoring and boasts career best numbers, and can do it all. Only knock on him is that he is playing on a mediocre team in a weak league, but in any case he draws all the attention game in game out and still posts good numbers.
2. Matt Dellavedova / So / G / Saint Mary's
Stats: 13.2ppg, 3.5rpg, 5.4apg, 1.3spg, 41.2%FG, 36.2%3PT, 88.4%FT
A hard nut defender and point guard that can dish it up on a plate, get to the rim and/or line, and fill it up from downtown.
3. Ryan Broekhoff / So / G / Valparaiso
Stats: 10.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 1.7apg, 1.0spg, 1.1bpg, 49.2%FG, 45.3%3PT, 77.2%FT
A shooting guard that can do it all and stuff his stats sheet, racking up career high numbers as a genuine starter in a solid league. Recorded two double-doubles and scored in double digits 17 times, and more than 20 points 3 times.
4. Ben Dowdell / Jr / F / Santa Clara
Stats: 8.4ppg, 4.7rpg, 0.8apg, 1.2spg, 54.2%FG, 66.7%FT
Started every game and does what his team needs - a consummate team player who racked up career-high numbers.
5. Jeromie Hill / Fr / F / Texas-San Antonio
Stats: 13ppg, 6.8rpg, 1.0apg, 46.2%FG, 37.2%3PT, 60.5%FT
Started every game as a Freshman, recording 3 double-doubles and with a career high of 27 points, scoring in double figures in 22 games.
6. Mitchell Young / So / F / Saint Mary's
Stats: 10.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 0.6apg, 61.8%FG, 58.1%FT
Provided a much needed scoring punch and energy off the bench for the NCAA bound Saint Mary’s. Runs the pick and roll to perfection with Delly and McConnell.
7. Brock Motum / So / F / Washington State
Stats: 7.4ppg, 3.0ppg, 0.9apg, 61.8%FG, 34.8%3PT, 64.3%FT
Started a number of games for the Wazzu and was instrumental in some games despite playing behind Pac-10 leading scorer Klay Thompson. Next season may yet define Motum’s career prospects.
8. Luke Devlin / Fr / F / Albany
Stats: 7.4ppg, 6.9rpg, 0.8apg, 40.3%FG, 31.1%3PT, 72.3%FT
The 6’8” forward started every game as a Freshman and recorded 6 double-doubles.
9. Matt Massey / Jr / C / Southern Utah
Stats: 9.4ppg, 3.3rpg, 1.2apg, 54.9%FG, 72.7%FT
Played every game and remained ahead of fellow Aussie centre Matt Hodgson.
10. Nate Tomlinson / Jr / G / Colorado
Stats: 3.1ppg, 1.7rpg, 2.3apg, 47.6%FG, 41.3%3PT, 56.3%FT
Regular starting point guard for Colorado in the Big 12, one of the toughest conferences in Div I hoops.

Top 5: Most Valuable Players…
2. Matt Dellavedova / So / G / Saint Mary’s
4. Ben Dowdell / Jr / F / Santa Clara
5. Jeromie Hill / Fr / F / Texas-San Antonio

Top 5: Most Improved Players (Freshman are excluded)…
1. Mitchell Young / So / F / Saint Mary’s
Has gone from just providing minutes off the bench into being a valuable scoring option off the bench…his game has gone to new heights and a starting berth awaits him in 2011/12.
2. Brock Motum / So / F / Washington State
Has gone from a marginal bench warmer to solid contributor week in week out and was even elevated to a starting role a number of times. A starting berth awaits for season 2011/12.
Has become an integral starter, scoring weapon and defensive stopper for the Crusaders. Uses his athleticism and height (6’6”) and could go a long way.
4. Angus Brandt / So / C / Oregon State
Stats: 5.0ppg, 2.7rpg, 0.6apg, 40.9%FG, 30.8%3PT, 52.9%FT
Elevated to regular starting centre and continued to improve as the season progressed.
5. Trian Iliadis / Jr / G / Old Dominion
Stats: 5.9ppg, 1.4rpg, 1.4apg, 37.5%FG, 33.6%3PT, 81.1%FT
Iliadis is the Monarch’s super sub on an NCAA tournament bound team, and is able to light it up from downtown or set up his team mates for open looks. With career high numbers, could be elevated to starting lineup next season.

Top 5: Season’s They Would Rather Forget…
1. Cody Ellis / So / F / Saint Louis
From potential team start and starter, to backup off the bench, to benchwarmer, to injury…
2. Tanner Kerry / So / C / Pepperdine
From part-time starter to not even playing…
3. Jorden Page / So / G / Saint Mary’s
Decent minutes off the bench to injury and a red-shirted season
4. Shane Harris-Tunks / So / F / Colorado
Knee injury pre-season - enough said.
5. Josh Duinker / Jr / F / Richmond
From providing genuine back up minutes off the bench to junk time minutes only.

Top 5: Most Impressive Freshman…
1. Jeromie Hill / Fr / F / Texas-San Antonio
2. Luke Devlin / Fr / F / Albany
3. Corey Maynard / Fr / G / Bryant
Stats: 4.7ppg, 2.5rpg, 2.5apg, 38.3%FG, 35.2%3PT, 65.5%FT
Great debut season, with increasing minutes off the bench (up to 30min)
4. Cameron Bairstow / Fr / F / New Mexico
Stats: 2.4ppg, 1.6rpg, 0.2apg, 60.0%FG, 50.0%3PT, 50.0%FT
Some great contributions in coming off the bench in a pretty good conference on a bubble NCAA team.
5. Igor Nujic / Fr / G / Texas-San Antonio
Stats: 2.1ppg, 1.3rpg, 0.7apg, 32.0%FG, 21.4%3PT, 75.0%FT
Started off the season providing genuine backup minutes, but fell away as the season progressed. Will get more opportunities next season.

Graduating Seniors…
2. Ben Dowdell / Sr / F / Santa Clara
3. Brad Kelleher / Sr / G / Hofstra
4. Ben Louis / Sr / G / James Madison
5. Chris Clausen / Sr / G / North Dakota
6. Graeme Radford / Sr / C / Stetson

Anatoly Bose is the pick of the graduating seniors, although Dowdell, Kelleher and Louis would be very handy rookies on any NBL roster next season. Clausen and Radford would also be hopeful of securing an opportunity in the NBL but may need to prove themselves in a league like the SEABL first.

Reply #312855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where does Motum's future lie?

Maynard was one that the 36ers considered before he went to college too.

Reply #312858 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ellis to the Wildcats next year?

Reply #312866 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Ellis committed to the cats unofficially while still at AIS
Motum is the one to watch, could go either way but has potential to top out at being a very solid NBL player

Reply #312871 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Motum is likley to see out a full 4 years of college - he stil has 2 more years to go.

I'm still unsure as to what his ceiling may be, but I think we may find out next season as he is likely to be a regular starter. I actually think that at worst, he would be a bonafide starter in the NBL.

Maynard impressed and got more minutes as the season progressed. He is on a very weak team in a weak conference and that doesn't help ala Anatoly Bose.

And Paul, it would not surprise me at all to see Ellis leave Saint Louis as he has definitely fallen out of favour with Coach Majerus. Perth definitely beckons.

If Bose doesn't get the pro gig overseas he is likely to be after, his hometown of Sydney may be the right fit for him.

Personally, I love Broekhoff's blend of skills and attributes. He would be ready made for a 2nd Melbourne NBL team IMO.

Reply #312874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Broekhoff really reminds me of Brad Sheridan in the way he plays.

Reply #312881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joel Narburgs @ Stetson is another one. So is Dexter Drew @ Washington State.

Of the guys who are graduating, Bose is the best performed. Sydney should try and make a serious run at him, if they were smart and had any idea about where to get talent from.

Reply #312886 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

so none of you rate Tomlinson's 14.1 pts and 9.5 rebs per game? Strewth, do the 150 or so blocked shots not count? What about moult and munro both going at over 12ppg?

Reply #312905 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Draft Express lists Dellavedova at 6"4..Is that right?
Thought he was 6"2.5-6"3 at best..

I noticed Ellis missed the last 9 games of the season..Was he injured or did he simply fall out of favour with the coach to that extent that he was 'DNP-coaches decision'

Personally, I think the success of Rob Loe as a freshman has meant Ellis' minutes are down. Loe was impressive in some games against good opposition including
-19 points against Georgia (5/8 3-point)
-18 points against Xavier (4/4 3point)

Reply #312911 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, I think the question was best, rather than best numbers or most successful.

Reply #312913 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

HO, I think everyone on this thread are talking about the men rather than the women.

But I do agree, some fine performances from the Aussies women including Tomlinson who has set all kinds of records for SMC and for the entire nation in regards to blocked shots.

Reply #312918 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

tomlinson broke the ncaa div 1 RECORD for blocked shots in a season

Reply #312923 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

But Paul, people have have all validated their answeres with numbers! The question was who is the best Aussie baller in the collegiate system. Besides, you know my role here is to be a pedant :-)

And LC, I know you cover the world of basketball very generously here - and both genders, just wanted to point out to the galah's here that the game is not about men. I wish i had got to be the first response, I would have listed 3-4 women straight away - then we would have seen where the thread had gone.

I hear people claim that Bogut is our best basketballer btw, and I would argue that 4-5 of our Opals are better "basketballers" than he is!

Reply #312931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone's forgetting Nate Tomlinson. Played for Australian Under 19s in Novi Sad Serbia in 2007, playing in one of the toughest conferences in College basketball, The Big 12.

He will be ready for the NBL when he's done.

Reply #312932 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry HO, the heading says Best Aussie Baller, and that, thanks to nature, means a bloke. And yes, I know you were trying to make a point, but it's a bad one!! And your suggestion re Opals is just silly! Having good fundamentals does not make you a good basketballer, it is the effect you have on the court for your team, and Bogut would have a bigger effect on any team than all the Opals in the world.

Reply #312943 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Interesting to see the group of current Emus and where they have committed.
Good to see Aldridge go to a big program--Butler is definently a top tier program and Im confident he will perform there with a player like Shelvin Mack to guide him. UNM (Where Greenwood is going) is still a powerhouse however its going to hurt his NBA/Euro chances playing in the M.W. Conference, even if he performs really well.

Dissappointed to see Igor and Drmic go to Boise State which is predominately known for its football. BSU was 22-12 this past season playing in the "mid-major" WAC. I know they wanted to chose a program where they had guaranteed (starter-like) minutes, but IMO these two could have been getting burn and performing at much bigger programs = bigger exposure

Also, Corban Wroe committed to Hartford--another mid major school.

I just wonder if Aussies are hindering their chances at playing NBA/Euro / gaining more exposure by playing in "mid-major" conferences.

Look at how hard it was for Mills--People were still doubting him despite his stellar play.. It was because he was playing for SMC in the WCC.

Although the players might think it risky to go to a big program (your mins could easily evaporate into nothing), IMO Igor, Drmic and Greenwood are all good enough to play in the big conferences.
Going to be hard for Igor and Drmic to get attention playing for Boise State.

Reply #312949 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Now Paul for once you are being silly.

baller has never belonged to male. I know lots of female ballers or 'ballers. I know lots of aussies who are females ... not sure which part of best aussie ballers belongs to males. Eisegesis my friend!

And by your definition Jackon is a much better baller than Bogut. Jackson almost as an imperative makes any team she plays on a championship contender if not a near certain finalist or championship winner. Bogut does not do that now, as good as he is.

If you said to any national teams program in the world you can take jackson or bogut for one world championship tourney only, even the US would take Jackson.

Reply #312956 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

MACDUB, I too have been quite intrigued recently as to the school selection for a few Aussies players. I'm not at privvy to understand the logic behind their decisions, but perhaps the bigger programs from the "premier" conferences either were not interested?

I was actually more surprised than anything else that Butler sought after Aldridge, as were many of their fans. However as good a program as Butler is, it also plays in one of the mid-major leagues being the Horizon League (same league as Broekhoff @ Valparaiso).

Guys like Motum & Kernich-Drew at Washington State and Brandt & Murphy @ Oregon State in the soon to be renamed Pac-12, and Vandenberg with North Carolina State in the ACC are hopefully going to pave the way for more Aussies in the more prominent conferences and teams. The MWC is actually quite strong, however will drop a bit with BYU joining the WCC - that only helps the profile and status of the WCC.

However coming in and getting genuine minutes in Div 1 basketball is a very attractive offer rather than sitting on the bench for 2-3 years on a more prominent team in a more prominent conference.

Boise State are on the rise in the WAC and are doing well in the post-season to date.

I guess that ultimately if you are good enough, you will make the cut and generate attention. Mills did and although it was a fine line, he is now making the grade in the NBA. Bose has received plenty attention although is realistically off the NBA draft radar due to his team's lack of success. Delly gets plenty of love at the moment and will get even more next season with McConnell graduating.

To gain individual attention and recognition when you play for a mid-major, it is a simple formula: your team needs to be successful = conference champion = NCAA tourament berth. If a player can get a mid-major team to the NCAA tournament and even scrape together a few wins (e.g. Davidson & Steph Curry), with it brings greater individual recognition and potential reward.

As mid-major teams, Saint Mary's (Steindl, Delly, Young & Page) will have that potential next season, as will New Mexico (Bairstow & Greenwood), Butler (Aldridge) and Boise State (Drmic & Hadziomerovic).

Reply #312959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, sounds like MVP vs Best and Fairest. Put Bogut in a team in place of LJ and he'd run rampant. Put LJ in the Bucks and, well, who knows what would happen. I think "best" suggests "Best and Fairest" rather than a judgement more akin to MVP (most valuable to their team and league).

Of course, that said, women's basketball is under-represented in the media, on forums, etc and it's always good to have someone make their case and pay tribute.

Reply #312969 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry HO, maybe I didnt explain my point clearly. I am not saying baller means male, I am saying best baller does! I am not disrespecting women's basketball - I quite enjoy the ABC games during the season - but it isnt nearly the same standard as men's basketball, that's why the competitions are separated. That's the point I was making.

Tomlinson's performances are awesome, but she wouldnt get a game on a men's team. The best player will be male because, for some reason, nature made it that way.

Reply #312975 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Macdub, your criticism of smaller schools or Mid Major conferences is ridiculous. The Aussies who join them obviously do because of the fit rather than the prestige. I'm sure if you moved to a new country you'd factor in things like living conditions climate but I think a big one for Saint Mary's is the Aussie culture they have fostered and surely it's be good to play with other Aussie players.

When it's all said and done Mills made the NBA and to become a good bench player whether that had anything to do with the college he played for is hard to tell. I think it has more to do with his injury at the end of his sophomore year, his decision to declare and the guard rich draft that he entered in to.

Saint Mary's is as good as school as any to process young Aussie talent. Next season the league will be very strong with BYU joining the WCC. Gonzaga SMC BYU and one of either San Francisco or Santa Clara will contend for the title. I can see them getting 3 teams into the NCAA tournament.

As LC has said the Aussies in top team of mid major conferences will get good attention.

I think the top talent for next season will be

Dellavedova
Greenwood
Motum
Young
Page

Reply #312998 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Rohant16, calm down.

I wasn't exactly criticising the mid-major schools..I was asking a question as to whether it not playing for a mid-major school genuinely hindered their chances at exposure.
("I just wonder if Aussies are hindering their chances at playing NBA/Euro / gaining more exposure by playing in "mid-major" conferences")

If anything, I am only reiterating the skill and talent of these players to the extent where I feel like they could have performed for bigger schools.
Drmic, Greenwood and Iggy and even Wroe are big time players..Drmic and Iggy were looking at playing for Partizan Belgrade and Virtus Bologna in Europe.

Iggy got an offer from UCLA as well.

Reply #313000 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Ok that's fair enough I take your point.

But do you honestly think these guys like Iggy and Drmic would get much playing time with these big Euro clubs?

Also with Boise State I beleive they are genuinely building something good there, with their ex Gonzaga assistant head coach and I believe John Rillie is there too!

I think your point is really valid with regards to someone like Anatoly Bose but hey you can only get to these schools if they want you.

Reply #313017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those big Euro clubs loan young players out who arent ready to lower clubs so they get minutes and develop. Then they pull them back when they are ready.

Reply #313027 | Report this post

aussie boomers  
Years ago

I think that Anthony Drmic will be the next superstar of Australian basketball.

Reply #313098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys talking about Anthony Drmic and Igor Hadziomerovic have no idea, Boise is moving to the MWC, the MWC is top 5 in the country, not only will they play alot, they will be leaders of the team, i think the team has no true Seniors. I think they will leave for Euro after one year in College.

Reply #325759 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

MWC is top 5 in what country lol?

They lose BYU and Utah(who has been crap latey but was traditionally the powerhouse with UNLV in basketball), SDSU has been guttered with only 1 returning starter I believe.

UNLV and New Mexico will be the only decent teams in the conference this season and both should make the NCAA.. but dont be surprised if they only got 1 team in next season

Reply #325770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754