dud
Years ago

Ballinger Injury

Does anyone know the severity of Ballinger's ankle injury that saw him play 2 minutes against the Tigers?

Will he play this week?

Topic #25252 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Will miss the rest of the season, but no fracture and he's already able to walk on it.

Reply #312767 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Read

Boti's article from Monay. It explains all. There is another article on Ballinger saying he's a 36er for 2011-12 and not going to the Kings.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/injury-ends-season-for-sixers-captain/story-e6frecj3-1226025077931

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ers-skipper-says-hes-staying-put-in-adelaide/story-e6frecj3-1226025735473

Reply #312775 | Report this post

Kittle  
Years ago

Bugger thought we'd got rid of him, and had the salary to purchase better players.

Reply #312780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to hear Balls will be back next year

Reply #312799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it's all just Ballinger saying he doesn't want to leave and wants to be here next season. Unfortunately despite being contracted for next season he doesn't really have much say in the matter.

If the 36ers (Clarke) want to tear up his contract, buy him out and release him they can and sadly I think Balls might be laying the ground work now knowing that something might happen, i.e. don't blame me I wanted to be here next season.

I'd much rather hear the coach come out and assure the fans that Balls will be here next season rather than Balls saying he wants to be here/doesnt plan to leave etc.

Reply #312802 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

What would Brian Goorgian do? He'd find 2 quality imports some decent aussies & bring Balls off the bench (& also Holmes & NG). Ladder position in 2012 - top 3! Marty Clarke will not elevate them into the playoffs. Sad but true...

Reply #312804 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

... and spend money the club doesn't have in the process.

Reply #312817 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I still don't get why the coach should come out and say if Ballinger will play next year.

Why doesn't the GM (or whoever is in that role), come out and say it.
I'm sick and tired of getting the feeling Marty Clarke runs this club. I know how important the coach is, but still he's just the coach.
Maybe SOS should just make it official and give him the title of GM as well.

Reply #312824 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bring Balls of the bench.........your joking right?

Hopefully he stays. Agree with Anonymous......coach and maangement really should come out and put to bed these rumours or confirm they are looking at moving him on and explain the reasons. We'd need to use up an import spot to repelace him ratehr than having 2 import spots to use at other positions.

As an 'Aussie' we IMO don't think we can lose Balls.

Reply #312825 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Why does the club need to say anything at all , the guy is contracted, everything beyond that is pure hyperbole and speculation from the media

Reply #312826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The coach may not have even had final interviews with players.

On Clarke or SOS running the team, I've heard two theories on this - [1] that an operations manager should pick the team (with input from the coach), or [2] that the coach pick the team (with input from the club, such as "Don't forget that Schenscher is really popular with fans and important to ticket sales"). There was an insightful post on Hoops a few months ago suggesting that the NBA teams use the first tactic. I think my preference is that the latter can put more responsibility on the coach. If after year two (as ops manager), you can say "Well, you had your rookie year, and then you picked this team yourself," you're not leaving the coach "My hands were tied, you picked the team" wriggle-room.

From that coach-influence-on-roster angle, I think you could get the 'running the club' perception.

Reply #312838 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Good post Isaac - have to agree.

KB3 - I hear what you are saying but really it is not to hard to come out and repeat that he has a contract. It can get messy otherwise

Reply #312843 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Would be a guttsy move from Clarke to cut Ballinger and build a new look team. Don't see it happening, but would be interesting.

Hopefully we don't recruit 5 more guards to complement the 5 we already have.

Reply #312861 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Will Clarke then want to start again with his now infamous 3 year plan? How many more years of pain do the fans have to put up with?

Reply #312867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're the icing on the pain cake.

Reply #312872 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Can we list the Australia players who are better than Ballinger, if were actually going to be stupid enough to get rid of him, lets look at the others available that put up his numbers.

Reply #312896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, remember that someone could well ask you to list the teams that don't have Ballinger who are ahead of us on the ladder. There are a lot of ways to put together a team.

I think it's a moot point regardless because he's signed and has said he's eager to stay. Maybe there's a slim chance of Clarke busting up the team completely but I don't think it's likely and I'd worry about that only if it happened.

Reply #312900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just read isaacs team from free agents which inludes balls. great team on paper n not unrealistic either.

Reply #312910 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's not a case of purely "who is a better player". It's a question of team fit / role etc. Balls' PPG and RPG are good. Defence and leadership arguably are not.

Building a team around Ballinger, we require big bodies, at least one good distributor and solid defenders.

Otherwise, we start over and go in another direction, given the number of years attempting to build the above line up around him has failed dismally.

Reply #312920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loco read isaacs team in free agents addressed our needs n his been realistic. It's not about building a team around balls it's about building a team with5-7 gd players and little depth on bench. Hill,Holmes and prob Carter should not start but r solid bench guys.

Reply #312926 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

No probs - I'll go have a read now.

Reply #312977 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'You picked the team and you got it wrong.'
(Seamus to Westover)

We were on a bad losing streak when Burston spoke to the players, prior to training one day.
We won the next game.
Should've spoken to Burston , or at least phone him him up and say goodbye, good luck.

Reply #312992 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm onboard with Isaac's team, for sure.

Reply #313003 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea would be awesome if they got isaacs team, adding 2 boomers in Gibson and Barlow and 2 nbl experienced, versatile imports in Dorsey and Young would be a great start to moving the team up the ladder imo.

Reply #313007 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One thing with that team is that Dorsey need not even be a key scorer, just plugs the gaps, doesn't need a lot of shots to get his numbers. But you'd never rely on him so much that you couldn't phase in Creek as a starter eventually, or sign Greenwood to come through, or start Herbert, etc. You could comfortably play Barlow at SF and get a SG import, or even risk starting the season without an import and have injury insurance.

Reply #313011 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

Camel 31 - What on earth are you talking about and how does it fit in this thread?

Or is it just me that thinks you seem to post in riddles most of the time?

Reply #313012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel does speak in riddles and that's half the charm. Might be an acquired taste and might only make sense to someone who's been reading their stuff all along.

There, they are speaking of Burston's (alleged) mediocre departure from the 36ers, suggesting that he might've been useful this year.

A theme to be aware of with Camel is the love of Adrien Sturt!

Reply #313013 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I love Camel's riddling posts. It becomes an acquired skill over time just deciphering them.

He's posts are better than most of the dribble because he actually makes you think.

I also miss Playa's posts but for a very different reason.

Camel's post got me thinking; what of Al's coaching opportunities next year. I don't see many on the table, especially given Clarkey and Moose are locked up next year, Gold Coast will keep Joey and I doubt Melbourne will take him back.

Reply #313037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would melboune take westover back?
they just sacked him.
amazing that anyone wood even think of that

Reply #313046 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rumour for the last few weeks has been Smyth to Melbourne.

Reply #313057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754