annon
Years ago

Junior Winter Season 2011 on Sportingpulse

Does anyone know when this will be up on Sportingpulse??

Topic #25267 | Report this topic

sheep stations  
Years ago

supposed to be a week before - but it's thursday and it starts next thursday

Reply #313029 | Report this post

sheep stations  
Years ago

i reckon monday will be the go - maybe it's the clubs - slow or changing nominations - not bsa

Reply #313030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that Thursday is up.

Reply #313031 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

When you look through the number of teams that have nominated for the winter season, clearly junior girls basketball in not in a good position.

Hopefully Basketball SA is working with the clubs that have less than 12 girls teams to promote basketball in these areas.

Centrals 7
Mavs 8
F/Ville 21
North 12
Norwood 17
West 12
South 9
Sturt 19
W/Ville 6
Tigers 13

Reply #313070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changes in girls team nominations from Winter 09 to Winter 11:

Central Districts 3 7 133.33%
Eastern 7 8 14.29%
Southern 12 13 8.33%
Western 7 7 0.00%
Sturt 20 19 -5.00%
Forestville 23 21 -8.70%
West Adelaide 14 12 -14.29%
Norwood 22 17 -22.73%
South Adelaide 12 9 -25.00%
North Adelaide 18 12 -33.33%
Woodville 13 6 -53.85%

Reply #313104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest based on the above the clubs loosing girls should need the help, not the ones growing. Woodville , North, South and Norwood in particular have lost over 20% of their girls program.

Reply #313105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville ... moved homes 3 times. Haven't had a real home base to call their own since Athol Park (and even that was shared with West).

North ... Hillcrest. Dark, old, 2 courts - both falling apart, no decent facilities, no way of generating money, no miniball to recruit from.

South ... Marion. Dark, old, 2 courts, no bar, no decent facilities, no way of generating money, big but not strong miniball program. 2/3 close big spending rival clubs to compete with. Bleeds juniors to Sturt and Forestville partly because of its position, partly because of promises made by those clubs.

Norwood ... No home venue. Grabbing court space where they can at two venues. No Canteen/Bar facilities. BUT they do have a full time development manager (supported by BSA funding). Yet numbers down, Easter Classic numbers down.

If Norwood can employ someone and still shrink clearly having a full-time junior development person is not the silver bullet some claim it to be.

Clubs will grow only when all the stars align. Clubs need full time staff. Need basketball people not parents/volunteers making decisions and running programs. But also BSA needs to provide bigger and better stadiums. BSA needs to spread tournaments, Finals series, Events around multiple venue so other clubs can generate income other than the big two who get everything.

Some clubs don't help themselves. But BSA don't help them either.

Reply #313111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 104

Do your numbers for Winter 09 include U 21s which I believe were considered juniors then.

Numbers for this winter season only go to U18s ie U23s considered part of senior comp.

May be comparing apples and oranges

Reply #313127 | Report this post

Years ago

good point - i can recall south having 3 u21w teams at one stage - so if u21s have been counted in the 2009 figures.....

Reply #313133 | Report this post

Years ago

anon #111

Q - should the district competition be quantity or quality ?

talking numbers one would need to look at entire enrolments of the demographic.

ie miniball, social, school, church, district

talking quality we need to look at state / classics / u14s results.

mavericks could improve well over the next 10-15 years with large residential developments going ahead in the mt barker area.

Reply #313134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should be aiming for both.

Some would say quality comes as a result of quantity.

The more players you have to choose from the more chance you have of having quality athletes within those numbers.

Reply #313136 | Report this post

Europa 62  
Years ago

I realise its probably not a big deal in the scheme of things but i thought you were not allowed to have more than 1 division two side in under 12s yet sturt have two...

how does that work?

(not taking a shot at BSA/club, just wondering if anyone knows)

Reply #313160 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This happens every fricking season. The draft draw is done and awaiting approval.

You can understand that the winter draw probably can't go up until the summer draw goes down (IT problem?), but "F me drunk!" Surely for Div 1 and Div 2 you just continue the rotation setup in the summer season?

For Div 1, R10 was the same team as R1, but opposite stadium. Div 2 pretty much the same, but for the 12 team comps, the draw repeated in R12.

Div 3 and below is the hardest draw to do.

To quote some pratt off of Top Gear "It can't be that hard?"

Reply #313162 | Report this post

Years ago

the div 2 comp was short of teams that had a reserved spot - so the second team took that spot - it just went to a 10 team comp.

Reply #313306 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

anonymous 3111

you rattled of the problems of the venues - fine

but why in a topic about JUNIOR fixtures do you need to bring up NO BAR facilities

do you take your kids to play basketball so you can drink or do they play that bad, you NEED to drink

just wondering because in Victoria most clubs that have them (and there arent that many) only open bar facilities for Senior (BigV or SEABL) Comp and not for juniors games

Reply #313330 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's not the open bar that worries me at junior venues, I'll worry when a row of one armed bandits "greats us" as we arrive!

Reply #313336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bars are a source of income. More income means more money to spend. Means more money for junior programs for things like full time junior coaching directors or development officers. Means paying coaches to run clinics etc. Pasadena bar goes off on a Friday night. Masters games coming up. How much money do you think Sturt and Forestville will make out of that from their bars and canteens when neither club does anything towards running the competition nor do they pay any rent money back to BSA.

That was my reason for bringing up bar facilities. And I agree IF clubrooms/bars are open for junior nights they should NOT be allowed to sell alcohol.

Reply #313353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not have the bar open and show the juniors responsible drinking.

Reply #313372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PC-mad minority trying to shove their minority view down everyone elses throats.....again.

Reply #313375 | Report this post

Me3  
Years ago

It looks like BSA's decision to put two teams in U12 Div has worked with sturt 2 winning both their opening games. This team has earned their spot in Div 2

Reply #315081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754