Anonymous
Years ago

The Bearcats name - not very fierce

Just wondering how many people think that bearcat is a wierd logo for a club?While holidaying in Malaysia recently i had a chance to see the little creature and i must admit its not very fierce more cute and cuddly.A proud club like west must have a better name-any suggestions?sharks,magic,thunder,bears,wolves please west people give us your thoughts.

Topic #25279 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolverines would be a good change ,with that name west could keep its current logo since the two beasts look identicle .The west would then be represented in name by a fierce animal thet is able to take down a prey twice its size not by a tree dwelling freit eater!

Reply #313317 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The Bearcat is fine and passes the identicle test just fine for me. Be careful with those two words though .....

Reply #313321 | Report this post

never  
Years ago

Why would you change the name of a club that has been around for years and WON a NBL title....

Reply #313322 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Reminds me of that skit about the NBL (parody of the poverty click) "Every xx seconds an NBL dies" "click"

"What the F is a bearcat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTdTiwFgIU

"What would PS do?"

Reply #313325 | Report this post

Ceres 98  
Years ago

More like the name came from when West Adelaide sent some teams to Asia in the Late 80's.There is plenty of Silverware from that story and gifts from the wonderful hosts in Singapore and Thailand.

Reply #313326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea and what the hell is a Sabre?

Reply #313331 | Report this post

Phobos 56  
Years ago

They should get smart and call themselves the Magic.

Reply #313333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe it would be short for sabre tooth tiger by looks of the logo?

Reply #313339 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

how did the name come about in the late 80's when they won the NBL title in the early 80's?

Reply #313341 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

University of Cincinnati anyone?

Reply #313343 | Report this post

Bearcat Proud  
Years ago

A proud club like West should stick with the logo that was there while it was becoming a proud club!

Reply #313346 | Report this post

anonononomous  
Years ago

anon 313331

Are you serious?

Do you have any clue?

The biggest of the big cats, just like the club.

Reply #313348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has the bearcat name got to do with the NBL tittle it came droves latter.Why not just keep the illustration as it is and call it a wildcat(as perths nbl side),then fans may shout-GO YOU FERALS!

Reply #313349 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Stupid thread.

How about Jazz, Lakers, Suns, Kings, etc etc

The Bearcats are the Bearcats (likely after Cincinatti?) and should always stay the Bearcats

Reply #313351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cincinnati had an actual bear on their logo for a long time.Anyway since what year were west Adelaide bearcats and were they anything before that?

Reply #313356 | Report this post

dog 35  
Years ago

Got the name in late 60's as they had the same colours and head coach Alan Dawe formed coaching ties with Cincinnati Bearcats athletic director at the time.

Hosted the Cincinatti Bearcats when they toured Australia in early 70's.

Reply #313357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Cincy have sick uniforms.

They all used to be badass JuCo transfers and Huggins had them playing like animals. They were bad as hell. Fortson, Van Exel, Bobby Brannen, Kenyon Martin, Erick Hicks...

Back then they were sponsored by JordanBrand. Now it's adidas but they're still badass...

Reply #313358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mum thought it was the devil and i must admit i had a hard time convincing her it was a fluffy feline from Borneo.

Reply #313382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is a great thread.

When I go to play at Pasadena I am soooo scared when I see the Sabre Tooth Tiger but feel so warm and good inside when I play West and there cuddly little Bearcat!!!!!

Now when you go to North and see a Cruise Missile aimed at you well then you do get a little nervous.

Some people have too much time!!!!!!

Reply #313412 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

What about changing it to the mythical Manbearpig?

Reply #313414 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

I'm just disapointed that noone has adopted The Dropbear.

Instead of liniment rubs, they could have vegemite rubs to keep the Dropbears away!

Reply #313429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this dud with the drop bear and Vegemite on drugs WTF does any of it mean,fkn druggie hobo!

Reply #313450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I play West and there cuddly little Bearcat!!!!!

It might look like a cuddiy Bearcat, But just look out for thier BITE

Reply #313453 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Oh dear Anon, I hope you never walk under any trees.

Drop bears live all around us, and are the most vicious bear known to man. Google it.

Vegemite behind the ears is the only way to fend them off.

Reply #313464 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

A link to drop bear info

http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/

Reply #313465 | Report this post

Anonimouse  
Years ago

All i know is the BearCat eats,roots and then leaves.

Reply #313471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats might be cute & cuddly but the one as wests logo is on steroids just look at the biceps.Now thats one mean beast!

Reply #313505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West Adelaide Lakers would be a go because we are right next to a lake.

Reply #313524 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

west adelaide magic - thats special - majestic

Reply #313536 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Yes WEST ADELAIDE MAGIC sounds great,i like the black & red but tiel & blue looks so much better + it serves the geographic location of the club better.The current ones better serve the area around Richmond.Since the clubs based at the port lets get patriotic and keep the local flavor!

Reply #313620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers colors are good for this association black and tiel the perfect choice brings both clubs together and looks great.And the name west adelaide bearcats+logo is more than fine.

Reply #313869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of clubs throughout their history have changed colors,logos and even their names.

Reply #313870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bearcats name and logo+colors will be the div 3/4/5/6 ID,but div 1/2 will represent the association and just be called west same as the abl side with the uniforms matching the abl sides strip.That is the way of the future amigos and amigas so get with the programme.

Reply #314006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats are pussies!

Reply #314208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754