Isaac
Years ago

Taipans vs Crocs, April 1

Looks like Centrebet have been too scared to release odds for this one.

If Cairns win, they put Perth to fourth and leave the Cats to deal with the Breakers and all the travel and physicality that will bring. They also minimise travel to meet their semi final opponents.

Likewise, if the Crocs lose, they minimise travel and leave two strong finals opponents to beat each other up. Sounds like Hinder will sit this one out and Williamson has a hand injury.

Townsville are making all the right and expected noises about trying to win and putting up a fight and so on, and messing with form is always a risk, but does anyone think they will be going 100% in this?

Anyone seen odds offered on the game? If you were a bookie, what would you go with?

Topic #25304 | Report this topic

Fizzle  
Years ago

If I were Gleeson id be coaching to be comepetitive but wouldnt want to win. Lets be honest here, if you have homecourt advantage locked in, and NOW have the chance to have Perth or NZ knocked out without even having to play one of them, you make that happen.

ONE game wont be enough to suddenly lose all momentum and foeget how to play winning basketball. I believe the 36ers in '98 lost 3 straight going into the finals and we all know how that worked out. You remember, when the 36ers were a basketball team of men. Sorry one last dig for this season, im done now ;)

Reply #313741 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Centrebet opened a few days ago (possibly Monday?) with Taipans as favourites at 1.68 but was quickly removed.

Haven't seen it reappear as yet.

Reply #313744 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Spot on Fizzle!

If i were Trev throw his 2nd tier in & tell em to go win. No way they could but the bench guys would love it.

Reply #313746 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Tab has Cairns at 1.55 Crocs at 2.45
Crocs represent some good value here unless some players are rested or the theories of throwing the game come true.

Reply #313747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even $1.55 is surely a bargain? The incentive is there with both teams to force a specific result. Maybe Blanchfield goes for 30, but it's not like it's a meaningless game for Cairns.

Might be the last chance to make my Centrebet account remotely respectable...

Reply #313750 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sounds like an interesting theory to me! Teams want to go into the playoffs with momentum but a loss for Townsville and a win for Cairns is much more beneficial for both teams. I think Townsville will lose on purpose

Reply #313754 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hinder not playing - soreness

Reply #313783 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the full house sign will be up and the taipans are ready to pound whoever turns up on friday in a crocs uniform.

cairns has already gone further than expected and realistically,on what is a fairly thin roster,have overachieved.so any win now is yet another feather in the cap!

one thing is for sure though,whoever comes to town on sat 9th of april will be in for one hell of a stoush !!

Reply #313790 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Cats got ripped this yr!!!! There 3 first 3 games away, played brekers twice in nz, had 2 byes in the last 2 weeks ovethe season??? Perth can knock off who ever they meet in the 1st round!!! lost 2 games in nz by 5, lost 7 games under 7 points. Wana c full cats line up v breakers1!! Knight/brown v Wilkinson/ vukona.Would love to see the breakers win it though if we fall short. Tanking is in the nbl 2morow nyt!! Saying sumthing, crocs cant beat perth in the semis!!!

Reply #313820 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

We will NOT be intentionally throwing any game - Hinder's injury is actually close to season ending but luckily he doesn't need surgery just yet.

Would you want to go into a playoff series against a team you just lost to?

Now it just depends what the players mind set is against the Taipans mindset. Crocs dont have must to play for and cairns have plenty!

Reply #313826 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

GKcats can you translate that in English pls?

DJ Rod nice try mate...

Reply #313831 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I doubt the Crocs will go out to intentionally throw the game
BUT it's more of like you said the players mindset, what do the Crocs have to play for vs what the Taipans have to play for.

I think the Taipans have finished about where expected, 4th/5th.

Reply #313873 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The bet is up at Sports bet with the odds being $1.55 for Cairns and $2.45 for Townsville. The line is at $1.91 for -4

Reply #313899 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if I can be bothered opening an account there. Wish Centrebet would put up their odds - think I'd put the remainder of my balance on Cairns at $1.55.

Edit: OK, caved. Set up an account at SportsBet. Townsville, don't wreck this!

Reply #313901 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

TAB have the line at 3.5 when I checked. Don't be mean Townsville, its in everyones best interest! :P

Reply #313984 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Safe as houses Isaac! I can't remember a situation like this before where one side losing (TV) is so advantageous to their title hopes. Just as huge is the win for Cairns. What do you call a win win relationship in the wild - synopsis?

Reply #313985 | Report this post

Dan the filmer  
Years ago

Anyone know of any live streaming? I have no tv and am sitting next to my referee coach mother who is here from Canberra and is dying to watch the game

Reply #313994 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cairns 27 - Townsville 14 end of 1st. Cairns looked fired up for the game whilst Townsville are the opposite so far, no surprise there. I would imagine Townsville will make a run at it though

Reply #313995 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cairns 27 - Townsville 14 end of 1st. Cairns looked fired up for the game whilst Townsville are the opposite so far, no surprise there. I would imagine Townsville will make a run at it though

Reply #313996 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Crocs are tanking- ellis,schensher, blalock and crawford on the bench and down by 10 with 8 mins to go!!

Reply #313998 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

nonsense tyrell! Cairns won it fair and square ;) Everyone goes home a winner today :P

Reply #313999 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Don't think they were going 100% , other than Schenscher for half a game and Dorsey had so much punch, otherwise...not much excitement.

Reply #314000 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I had $200 on Cairns by 11+. Phew.

Reply #314002 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

wow excellent one Isaac, well done! I had $100 on the line. That is good enough for me :)

Reply #314004 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They veered off into small talk agen, instead of calling the game.
I'd just be curious to know who the foul is on,
some of the time , these days.
I noticed that refs are calling all contact , this season,
after trialing letting it go a coupla seasons ago.
The ball carrier stuck his elbow into the guard who went to gound and they called it an offensive foul.
Heal reckoned that's it's not a foul 'cause the guard is moving.
(Bruce, of course called twice for pushing off the guard, on Wednesday, and all contact called.)

Reply #314014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In fairness, Bruce pushes off almost every time he is pressured up court, but the last one that was called on him in NZ was soooo soft!

Reply #314023 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Symbiosis

Reply #314026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

+/- for the game for anyone who's curious:

Cairns

Alex Loughton (25)
Ayinde Ubaka (18)
Ron Dorsey (17)
Ian Crosswhite (15)
Daniel Dillon (15)
Phill Jones (0)
Aaron Grabau (0)
Lindsay Tait (-2)
Dean Brebner (-4)
Dusty Rychart (-4)

Townsville

Chris Cedar (-4)
Peter Crawford (-4)
Todd Blanchfield (-6)
Ben Allen (-8)
Rosell Ellis (-10)
Will Blalock (-11)
Nathan Crosswell (-11)
Luke Schenscher (-12)
Michael Cedar (-14)

Reply #314031 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

(Symboisis - This place ain't doing him any good.
He's in the wrong town. He should be in Hollywood.)

Reply #314034 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754