Isaac
Years ago

Jenna O'Hea signs with LA Sparks

Australian Jayco Opals star and member of the WNBL Championship-winning Bulleen Boomers side Jenna O'Hea has signed with Women’s National Basketball Association team the Los Angeles Sparks for the upcoming season in the USA, set to tip off June 3.

O’Hea, already a WNBL All-star Five player and member of the Australian Jayco Opals program since 2009, is excited about the prospect of going to the premier basketball competition in the world.

"It all happened pretty quickly - just after the WNBL season there was a bit of interest and then I was signed," O’Hea said.

“I think there’ll be a lot of great opportunities over there in L.A. and the coaching staff have all been really good and they have a great playing roster, so I’m really looking forward to it. Candace Parker is one of the best players in the world so I’m looking forward to playing with her as well,” she said.

Having proven herself a legitimate international-calibre player at last year’s FIBA World Championship tournament, and having represented Australia throughout her junior career, the Sparks’ coaching staff, which includes Assistant Coach and Australian Basketball Hall of Fame member Sandy Brondello, indicated that the lure for them was Jenna’s readiness to step into the program and have an immediate influence on their success.

“Jenna is a versatile player who we think has a chance to make an immediate impact,” Sparks’ Head Coach Jennifer Gillom said.
“At 6’1”, she has excellent mobility and will add size to our backcourt. I’m excited to begin coaching her.”

Despite the move, O’Hea was quick to confirm her commitment, not just to Bulleen for the 2011/12 WNBL season, but also to the Australian Opals program, as they look to take their first-ever gold medal at the London Olympic Games.

“It’s over the winter that I will be over there and then I will be coming back and playing for Bulleen,” she said.

“For us as Australians to win Gold at the Olympics, we need to beat the Americans and there’s no better experience than being over there and training with them and playing against them, and then I’ll be back here for the WNBL season and then in the lead up to the Olympics next year,” she said.

Topic #25312 | Report this topic

a wise choice - she has the game (toughness).

the big question is - will she be a team mate of Liz ?

Reply #313919 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

O'Hea is a gun and deserves the opportunity. Congrats to her and good luck.

Reply #313939 | Report this post

o'hea will be with -

PG - pinichero
SG - quinn / tolliver
SF - milton-jones
PF - thomson / hoffman
C Parker

if liz ends up there - that is starting to look good

Reply #313945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to Jenna and the sparks. I live in Melbourne and she is a genuine superstar and the la community should be extremely happy with her signing. She is a versatile guard who can play point or shooting guard, with a deadly threepoint shot and free throw ability. A defensively-minded player who can dish out assists and pull down rebounds and throw away other players' shots.

Good luck Jenna!

Reply #313986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754