Coopz
Years ago

NBA investigating Jay-Z

As most know, Jay-Z is a minority owner of the NJ Nets, and owners of teams are not allowed to contact amateur players who have not yet been chosen for the draft pool.

Which is why he's in trouble for meeting up with the Kentucky Wildcats before and after their game on Sunday.

The NBA is investigating the nature of his visit, specifically because two Wildcat players are potential lottery picks.

It has been reported that if Jay-Z is found guilty of inappropriate interactions with the players he will face a small fine.

Something makes me think a "small fine" is no problem for someone who has at times been reported to be worth $1Billion. But a "small" fine wouldn't bother anyone with enough cash to buy an NBA team for that matter.

Are there higher consequences for breaches like this? Or else all owner would run that gauntlet.

Cue LC...

Topic #25313 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Taking up the cue...

Read this earlier today myself...at most he will get a slap over the wrist from the NBA and a $30k fine.

From memory I think Danny Ainge got into trouble for something similar involving Kevin Durant (when he was still at school) and got fined $30k.

I don't think there are any further sanctions the NBA can take under existing rules...can anyone else elaborate further?

Reply #313962 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nets fined $50k

As suspected, the Nets got fined for minority owner Jay-Z's presence in the Kentucky locker room after the Wildcats clinched a Final Four berth. It was just that it was $20k more than the $30k I predicted ;)

Reply #314980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754