tyrell
Years ago

District fees

What sort of price ranges are juniors paying around the country in the wabl, sa, nsw, vic, qld equivalents? For reggio, per game!

Some clubs that i know in wa charge $300 and that covers insurance, basketball australia fees (a joke!) and all you get are a pair of shorts then you have to pay to play each game plus- which is outrageous you have to pay to train!

Thoughts- input?

Topic #25328 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

same fee structure here less the shorts. u love the game so u pay through the nose especially silly season where you get less bang for your bucks. Dumb ass bsa are milking bball dry and parents do talk kids out of it.

Reply #314114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Did not see that last post coming...

Reply #314119 | Report this post

wax on wax off  
Years ago

if you don't like it - go down the park and play for free.

But if you want organised structured club basketball - pay the fees.

last time i checked you still had to pay for things in this world.

Reply #314128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

600 bucks a year plus entry is a bit steep by comparison to other sports? Would have thought clubs with 60 odd teams and aunt Bess coaching might be able to reduce it by half.

Reply #314133 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So tyrell, lets test your knowledge about the absketball australia fees (a joke!). How much is the contribution out of the $300.00?

Reply #314139 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and tyrell, to help with the comparison - are you talking rep or domestic player - if you are really looking for a comparison then SA is a bad palce to be asking because the SA Metro structure is very different.

Reply #314140 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Ho im talkong wabl (wa) level players- i dont know what % is for ba though i just can't understand why any should go to ba- what benefits are provided to the player?

Reply #314143 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, so for your information, about $4.00 per player in Australia goes to BA, it is pitifully small, for that you get Boomers and Opals and Crocs and Gems and Rollers and Gliders etc etc, the basketball pathway, the itc program, national tribunal schemes, national champs, aussie hoops, the national insurance scheme (not the actual cover but negotiation and maintenance of the scheme).

Just shit for the $4.00 hey.

Anothe part of your fee covers the insurance, but again, i think that ends up under $10.00 per person.

WABL is senior rep ball yes? I would assume that SBL is above and below that is domestic?

Reply #314157 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Yes above wabl is sbl and below is domestic- where are you getting these numbers from(what source)?

Reply #314163 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

HO,

Is the insurance really $10 per player thru out SA Basketball? That is incredibly low. Great if it is, but I have a feeling associations are paying well above $10 per player for insurance...

Will ask some questions to my association at the next meeting if that is the case..

Reply #314164 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Approx $10.and some cents on that. not much more though

Reply #314166 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

tyrell, you just read the annual report.

BTW, i don't think club fees of $300.00 per player is unreasonable for rep (WABL) compared to other comps in other states.

Guys, I cannot speak specifically for any state, just doing the maths nationally. Its a little while since I've looked at it but cannot imagine its blown out much.

BA have always had a pretty good national insurance deal. I know in Country Vic a player can register with the country body for about $30.00. The bulk of this is retained by the country body so makes my $4.00 and $10.00 calcs probably spot on.

Reply #314167 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok Guys, Just quickly went and rechecked the latest AR that BA have online.

it is 2009/10.

Quotes revenue from participation as 2.4 million.

There is no separate line for revenue from insurance so I make a reasonable assumption that the insurance and rego are lumped together in the 2.4 mil.

Divide this by say 300,000 registered players and you get $8.00 per person for rego and insurance. 400,000 players and we are closer to $6.00 per person.

Thats well within the figures i provided above.

Even if it doees not include insurance (maybe that just passes straight through the books) those numbers per head are simply insignificant.

Reply #314168 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tyrell - Have you ever wondered how much it costs for your club to hire training venues - most of the court hire in SA is around $45.00 per court per hour how do you reckon your club pays for that. Thats why you "pay to train"

Reply #314169 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Basketball is a relatively high cost sport. The largest cost is the training venues the cost of which would equate to around $2,500/team/year. In an 8 person team, that's just over $300/yr/player. Then other club costs need to go into that cost such as JDO and Coaching Directors. Some ABA teams also draw from the junior programme.

Then that's assuming all players actually pay their fees and don't default, or blame spouses, leave mid season, argue that I only played 14 of the 22 rounds so I should pay 37% less......

The annual fee for both summer and winter at most full clubs is around $500/yr ($10/week)

When you consider that a child / young adult is getting involved in a relatively safe activity, keeping fit, making friendships, learning skills such as teamwork, negotiation, problem solving, pushing themselves to their boundaries, and growing as individuals. They have this activity three times a week and as they grow older have the opportunity to represent the state at junior level, then play in a state level competition as adults.

$10/week is a small price to pay for all this.

Yep, some sports are cheaper per week than this and some that are more expensive don't run all year around. Some of those sports have boozy and/or sexist (or bitchy) cultures, and a number of the sports are limited to single sexes. Basketball is one sport that is played by both sexes, played in the safety of indoors, and doesn't take up a full day.

Reply #314179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball isn't a bitchy sport Jack?

Reply #314183 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Like they say, it's only the depth that varies!

Reply #314184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK court hire is a mozza,but what irks me is the junior toarnaments;port Augusta $500, Melbourne around 1000-now imagine my situation with 3 kids playing.Not to mention my daughters team one winter season and had the extra cost of going to the nationals $1500,now could you imagine she is picked to play state,another ripoff cant our government contribute to anything,in europe if your at the top you dont pay for anything and thats even eastern side of the continent which is poor as!

Reply #314206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sook

Reply #314211 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

@Anon- obviously there is court hire, however you would think that would be included in the original fee of $300. Further, then there is a game fee of $7 all of this on top of the $300.

I know there are all the benefits and I acknowledge that if you want to play top level then this is how it is.

I just wonder if Homicide Williams or Gary Ervin came up paying 100's and 100's of dollars though....

Reply #314248 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tyrell - court hire costs your club - your entry to the game in SA goes to the people that run basketbal in the state nothing to do with your club - eg BSA - Your court hire, is included in your fees eg your $300 which includes your state registration and insurance and your basketball Australia registration and insurance plus it enters your team into the state competition which is a couple of hundred dollars per team per season. Making any sense yet?

Reply #314283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754