Isaac
Years ago

Gleeson named Coach of the Year

Strong record with a very even cast of players. Just starting the discussion thread for others. Wonder if Lemanis feels ripped off?

Topic #25341 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

So very happy for him! His teams have over achieved every single year and that is a testament to his coaching ability!

Reply #314261 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lemanis isn't rated by the NZ public over here.
To be honest, the Breakers have a roster that even Marty Clarke could win with.

Lemanis isn't the best coach; If you watch enough of the Breakers problems, youll see his mistakes.
Doesn't put alot of trust in young/development players..Took a while to give Abo the court time he deserved, uses Pledger ( a legit 7"2 center) sparingly as with Webster and BJ.
Has limited defensive strategies--The Breakers trans D has been awful at times this year.

As a breaker fan, I am worried that a wise old head like Beverdige will out-coach him in the semis.
Gleeson thoroughly deserves the award.

Reply #314264 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with you Macdub - Lemanis is overrated big time. Never been a fan of his and I have seen nothing over the past few years to change my mind.

Gleeson is a deserved winner, but there was probably a few guys that could have had their hands on the silverware this year.

Reply #314307 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here are the votes:

Trevor Gleeson (Townsville) - 54
Andrej Lemanis (New Zealand) - 36
Gordie McLeod (Wollongong) - 32
Aaron Fearne (Cairns) - 19
Rob Beveridge (Perth) - 16
Ian Robilliard (Sydney) - 5

Reply #314323 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Oh man, even the coach of the team that finishes below us gets more votes that Marty.
God save you Marty if you don't have the season of all seasons next year.....

Reply #314343 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

well done trevor,he really does deserve it.....i wonder if coach brett brown even knows who who he is ???

it's the classic "country boy comes good" story....great job trevor !!

Reply #314385 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

You know, neither the Breakers or the Crocs did any less than what was really expected of them so the choice of Gleeson as COTY is a little surprising to me, especially considering his team went from 16-12 last year to 17-11 this year. Not a whole lot of improvement. Although they did go 13-1 at home didn't they, and they had the best defense in the league. As for Lemanis, not a big fan of the guy either. The Breakers were expected to finish 1st and so far they have. No over the top coaching performance there.

Not surprised Clark finished in the bottom 4 (with Joey Wright, Al Westover and D-Mac). Anyone know the full order?

Reply #314433 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Did you pick the Crocs to finish as high as second? We copped a lot of flack for getting rid of the MVP don't forget...

I bet most people wrote them off like the last 5 years.

Reply #314489 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Wonder if Marty realizes yet that his coaching was ordinary and that media and fans were right to express their dissapointment .
Marty get it right next season or otherwis you will take our club down with you.

Reply #314492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HV8, I'd say the unlisted coaches received no votes. Pretty sure it's a 3-2-1 and there were enough options otherwise. e.g., even if you don't rate Lemanis, you'd be giving him a 2 or 1 for the 22-6 finish alone. Then Fearne finished well, McLeod had the Hawks do better than many would have expected, and Beveridge got Perth through some rough injuries to Redhage and Knight.

Reply #314509 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Yet Clarke gets the Boomers asst??

Reply #314695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754