Isaac
Years ago

2010/11 All-NBL teams named

The head coach, one assistant coach and one captain from each team vote on the award. Voting takes into account regular season performances only and voters cannot include members of their own team on the ballot. Each All-NBL team submitted by the voters must feature three outside players and two inside players.

First team:
Penney (72 votes)
Ervin (71)
Khazzouh (71)
D Martin (55)
Wilkinson (53)

Second team:
Clark
Gibson
Schenscher
Williams
Saville

Third team:
Crawford
Ubaka
Redhage
Ballinger
Loughton

Topic #25352 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

1st team makes sense plain and simple.

2nd team is an odd choice, especially Saville in the lineup. Unless Sav had another "under the general radar" season where he contributed more than anyone really thought.

Reply #314326 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm actually pretty happy with the way it looks...1st, 2nd and even 3rd team.

Reply #314328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, I know +/- has its detractors, but Saville led the league with over +200 despite being on a team that wasn't that far over even. When he was out injured, the Hawks went on their horror run of losses. I don't know many people who wouldn't argue that the Hawks would've made the finals comfortably had he not got injured.

Not too fussed with any of the inclusions, but one surprise for me was Crawford. Thought Dorsey, Worthington (good stats but an uninspiring season I guess) or Harvey (14.8 PPG) could've challenged, though I guess you do like to see a few from the top sides make it in. Not sure that many would've picked Crawford to make an All-NBL side before this season?

Reply #314334 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hawks with Sav were 15-7, without him they were 0-6. For mine he was the most valuable player in the truest sense of the phrase.

Wortho was the biggest surprise for mine, after a slow start I had him on track for the second team before he got injured, so I would have thought he could have snuck into the third team.

Reply #314337 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would like to see that first team play that second team that would be a great contest

Reply #314339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can some-one explain the relevance of naming 3 teams. I can't see the point! It's like the AFL naming three teams of the year

Reply #314360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tradition, chance to acknowledge more players, etc. AFL gets to name 20+ players. NBL names three teams which is 15 players. NBA have named three All-NBA teams per year since the late 80s and named two teams prior to that going back to the 40s.

Reply #314365 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think Crawford is the only surprising one. He did have a pretty good 2nd half to the season as I recall though.

Would've liked to have seen Crosswhite in there. I haven't worked out the +/- or anything, but I would have said he had a better season than Loughton and I would have given him the centre slot over Ballinger too.

Reply #314393 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Forman was unlucky. Should probably have had Ballinger's spot.

Reply #314419 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Why should Foreman have got Ballinger's spot Moses? Considering he missed almost 2 months of the season, why not Redhage's spot?

Reply #314427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballinger 3 in nbl MVP count 1ST BLOCKING .6th league scoring 6.3 rebounds .pretty good stats . shows how much crap ballinger puts up with from morons like you.WELLsaid holden v8. then again foreman was NOT good enough to make that team easy as that !!! .so suck it up princess

Reply #314458 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Put simply, Balls had the stats over the year and the MVP votes to probably warrant selection to the All second team rather than the all third.

At the very least he should be and is in the All Third team. Foreman missed out. Unlucky? Maybe but if anyone deserved to miss out if Oscar got picked then it was Shawn Redhage and not Balls. After all Redhage missed almost two months of the season. Since Foreman picked up the most improved player award then a case could probably be made that he deserved to make at least the Third team, but not at Balls expense.

Reply #314882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754