Isaac
Years ago

Gibson given early permission as free agent

The Adelaide 36ers are in a four-way battle to secure coveted NBL free agent Adam Gibson who yesterday was given early permission by the Blaze to talk with rival clubs.

NBL free agents must wait for two weeks after the grand final series is completed to negotiate with rival teams unless their existing club grants early access.

With several key players already locked away for the 2011-12 season, Gold Coast is keen for Gibson to settle on his destination so it too can move forward, with or without him.
The article names Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, plus I guess the incumbent Gold Coast.
"With Adelaide, I have connections with (coach) Marty (Clarke) and "Rat" (assistant coach Mark Radford) and I've played with some of the guys before too at the Dragons and the AIS."
Gibson is expecting next week to be particularly busy.

Full story here

Topic #25375 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

Good article, sounds like NBL will stay on the Ten network afterall, although the part where they said we will see F1, Moto GP etc on weekends makes me think we wont see live sport unfortunately.

Reply #314760 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I know Botti and others have indicated Sixers may want Gibson, but has it been confirmed that he was who Clarke was referring to when he mentioned wanting an Aust guard?

On a related matter, there was suggestion that Sixers should target Newley....any chance at all??

Reply #314762 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Here is hoping the 36ers land him, if we get him 2 new good imports and/or another top Aussie like Barlow or Schenscher, along with the best pleayers of our current team we should be ok next year!

Reply #314765 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I thought Newley was contracted for at least one more year in Europe?? I may be thinking of Ingles

Even if he isn't WAY more cash in Europe, something like 3 to 5 times more money.

Maybe when he is over 30yrs old

Reply #314767 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Gibson is not trying to be particularly subtle in his attempts to bid the four teams up against each other.

Reply #314768 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Five posts in and no one has mentioned Gibson/Blaze and their partying culture...

Reply #314769 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is that a good thing or bad thing for Gibbo?

Reply #314772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My view is that Newley will stay in Europe as long as he keeps getting gigs with good clubs. I think he has another year with LR Vilnius but that can change quickly, he has had a mediocre year in all comps, as has Vilnius really.

They may want to shake things up a bit, but I'd be surprised to see Brad back here next year. They year after that could be a chance if he doesnt rediscover his jumper.

Reply #314773 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Could we see sixers try an all aussie lineup at sixers

Would like to see both import spot go to Liam Rush and Brad Newley

Gibson/Carter/Daly
Newley/Ng
Rush/Creek
Ballinger/Dowdell/Carlin
Johnson/Vanderjagt

Points anyone? would that fit? and could you get these guys under the $1 mil cap

Reply #314775 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

back on topic, great move by blaze. If he leaves them they get an extra 2-3 weeks to find a replacement.

Reply #314791 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I wonder if Gibson's move is anything to do with him not being included in the super team that Wortho is single-handedly trying to assemble.

Reply #314793 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Gibson, Newley, Rush, Ballinger

Keep Dreaming

Reply #314811 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

At least according to Wikipedia, Newley's on a $850k 2 year contract.

Reply #314813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word is Melb is gibbo's top priority but Tigers unsure whether if it's worthwhile unload homicide.

Reply #314816 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

There is only two teams in the race, 36ers & Tigers.

Reply #314824 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

An appearance Kevin Johnson had made at High Stakes Hoops (Monarchs) and later at 36ers training onetime
had persuaded him to ask for a NBL player rating.
Is living in Adelaide and a friend of Eddie Shannon,
I hear.
But 10points for a new import and only 70points for a team in Australia is restrictive for those wanting to play here.

Reply #315446 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All the talk is Tigers, unfortunately for the 36ers. Going to need a pretty decent plan now.

Reply #316211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754