Bill
Years ago

Advantage Breakers

Great comeback.
Penney sensational. Brasswell to hit one of those 3's was almost impossible but TWO was rediculous.
Still Breakers deserved this after treating this like a playoff from the start and not another walk in the park. Wed should be a doozey.

Topic #25385 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers didn't get hammered on the boards and looked after the ball as best they could with Damien Martin lurking and got the win.
Penney had a huge first half, Big players step up in Big Games and and his 38points was massive as was Vukona's 10 rebounds. Braswells 3's kept NZ's nose in front as Perth rallied and Penney closed the game out at the freethrow line. Perth struggled from the line and Lisch was kept mostly in check and Tovey played well again.

Reply #314939 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Exceptional game in an exceptional series in an exceptional season. Anyone who hasn't jumped back onto the NBL bandwagon isn't a basketball fan (or is perhaps a 36ers fan but that's another topic). Well done again OneHD - what a spectacle!

Reply #314940 | Report this post

ethan  
Years ago

any replay for game 2 game between wildcats and breakers on ONE HD? ta

Reply #314943 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

huge win breakers- given that we had just been beat by 23 on our court and the last time we went to perth we got done by 40, it was a backs-to-the-wall type of performance! great game, great win!!!

Reply #314944 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Happy this series has gone to 3, i really hope from the bottom of my heart the Wildcats knock off the Breakers. Its amazing how quickly i have found such a strong dislike for the Breakers. The way thet decided to close out the season and take the foot so heavily off the pedal needs to have some Karma come up and kick them in the ass.

Perth will make adjustments, and defence could very well be the key to making the GF in this series.

Either way both GF teams will have the same legs going into it, so hopefully will be more even. But seriously does anyone really think Cairns could beat NZ or Perth in a 3 game series!? For sake of good viewing, gotta want it to involve the Crocs from that series.

Reply #314945 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

moses was that 36er fan comment meant to be funny? Im quite enjoying these finals games and am to a sixer fan.

I hope nz win the 3rd game. Not a fan of either team but i see the breakers as the lesser of two evils. Perth fans annoy me. Would like to see townsville take it out.

Reply #314946 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Just a Q? Who decides wich refs, ref the game?? Is just me or they got refs from nz??? N juice monkey from over east!! That was there best shot at us n they just got home!!! Cats shouldnt even bother flying there!!! I hope they send 2 wa refs?? Yea dreaming!!! Like or hate the cats, who watched that game saw a clear byess to get nz hm n get a game 3!!! Money?? Dnt no, that was disgusting!!! Hope cairns can get them if we cant!!!

Reply #314947 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

GKcats what a load of shit. If you are saying what i think you are (had to read a few times) then you are in a dream world. The reffing was ok. The best team won!!

Reply #314948 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If anything I think the refs favoured the Breakers. NZ weren't getting away with those physical fouls which they get away with in NZ. However, there was some bad calls for both teams during the game.

That normal NZ ref is really shit though. He has no consistency at all.

Reply #314949 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

GKcats, are you seriously complaining about the reffing in tonights game?

NZ breakers were called for 29 fouls, and Perth were called for 25.

Perth fans try to wonder why their team gets called for fouls?

The style of defence you play is intense and in-your-face. Obviously, their on-ball defenders (Robbins, Martin, Lisch) will try to reach and steal the ball.
My point is that there are risks associated with the type/style of defence the Wildcats play. One of the side-effects of playing such an intense defence is the risk of fouling.

Perth fans are in no position to comment on the reffing IMO. Your guards get away with alot as it is.
The likes of Abercrombie and Vukona are the victims of bad reffing.

Reply #314950 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I didn't think that either team was particularly advantaged by the refs. We got outplayed by NZ, simple as that.
Was a high quality, competitive game of playoff basketball with some top notch offence and defence on display, but the Breakers came up with the huge shots down the stretch and that was the difference.

I want to say that the Cats blew a massive opportunity to steal the series, but that would be a disservice to how well NZ played today. Gutsy effort by Vukona just to suit up, and when Penney plays like that there is very little anyone can do to stop him.

Hopefully game 3 is a similar standard.

Reply #314951 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great statement by the Breakers to get the win and turn this series around. It was a really good, intense game to watch as a neutral.

Perth seemed a little surprised by the level of aggression the Breakers brought early. They should still have gone into quarter time with a handy break if they hadn't blown so many free throws though!

For me, Vukona clealy tipped the balance of the game when he came in and it will be critical for the Breakers that he can be fit for game three.

Man, Penney sure turned it around after a shocker in game one. He grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck in the first half with his shooting and the Breakers then had the belief to hold on late against the hard charging Wildcats.

I have to say, I really don't rate Brasswell. He is such a liability bringing the ball up the court and he has some shocking shooting percentages, yet somehow he came up with two absolutely huge baskets late in this game that probably saved the Breakers. Until he made those two shots I was sure Perth would overrun them, but they were absolute daggers.

Martin and Knight were very good for the Cats, but I thought their team as a whole lacked intensity early and then, when they woke up, there were too many bad decisions made. Lots of unusually bad turnovers, bad shot selection and, biggest failure of all, not getting the ball to Weigh in the fourth quarter on a couple of occasions when he had posted CJ Bruton up. A bit of patience there and I think the outcome might have been different.

Looking forward to game three. I really think this could go either way in NZ.

Reply #314954 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

GKcats, yup it was def the refs that lost it for Perth, not their poor freethrow shooting or turnovers.

Reply #314956 | Report this post

Kermit^  
Years ago

there were 2 victorian ref and a sydney ref... so im not sure what you're on about..

perth's inability to put that game away was the deciding factor, not the referees.

Reply #314958 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, this is a change from the Game 1 thread :)

Looks like Game 3 in both finals series have a lot to live up to now after the opening weekend.

I want NZ to win simply because I think with the Breakers winning the title, it will encourage more ratings out of NZ and hopefully may warrant a 2nd NZ team in the coming years.

Can only hope Game 3 is a close one.

Reply #314960 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What a very good series to date. Braswell was amazing late in game 2 with those massive three's in front of a very hostile Perth crowd.

Game 2 was a very entertaining game to watch IMO. I'm looking forward to game 3.

Reply #314966 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Game 3 will go to the wire, Perth will not roll over after that loss at home. Kirk Penney's 38 Points were huge but Braswell got them over the line, I jumped out of my seat on those 3's and my whole house was screaming their heads off, the poor neighbors would have been wondering what was going on lol.

Reply #314967 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I felt lucky enough to watch all four semi-finals over the weekend, all great games, even watching Cairns dismantle Townsville in game 2 after the overtime loss in game 1.

Love watching D Martin go to work. Seriously scary defender, and has amazing footwork. Has an attitude that screams steal every time he comes near the ball. He is almost worth two players on defence.

But NZ showing the offensive power in this one we know they are capable of. I thought they were in a world of pain when both Abercrombie and CJ fouled out with 6 minutes to go (and with Wilkinson on 4 fouls), but Braswell really stepped up.

Reply #314971 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed, D Martin despite his use of makeup is a hell of a defender.

Reply #314972 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Every time I see Damian Martin now I think of that eye-liner scene from Semi-Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGyFPbNg03w

Reply #314993 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

GKcats- you are full of it! Perth ALWAYS get a great run from the refs- the home reffing is ridiculous, so get over it! There were a few no calls on travels by the cats that nz didn't get! Hack it that the better team won!!!

Reply #315019 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The North Shore Events Centre has sold out for game 3. Heres hoping for another performance like Game 2 from the Breakers.

Reply #315037 | Report this post

GKcats  
Years ago

Unsportsman like foul, Knight go the shot in, gets a free throw, i thoght he would get 2 more shots? Or am i wrong? 2 vic refs or whatever, they decided the game!! Perth fans Show alot ove emotion n passion for there team!!! So if u hate us fans u shouldnt hate our team!!! Every 1 that wins in the jungle celebrate like they have won the championship!!!! All teams r cocky wen they come here!! Only Cj was the only 1 i Respect n henare champions!! Perth will close out game 3!! Breakers will shit them selves!!! Imagine if we had our capitan!!!

Reply #315083 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Imagine if you could type so that your posts were readable

Reply #315097 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

A lot of comments in the media about Perth shutting Penney down in Game3 after his performance on Sunday in Game2.
Perth need to be careful of how much attention they give Penney defensively as Penney isn't the only Breaker who can torch teams from outside.

Reply #315098 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct, and he was only 4/13 from the perimeter in game two.

Reply #315100 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

and what 16/20 from the freethrow line.

Reply #315106 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

GKcats-less time following basketball more time learning english.

Reply #315115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit of a translation of what GKcats said:

After the unsportsmanlike foul was called, Knight got the shot in and also got a free throw. I thought he should of got two more shots? Or am I wrong? The two Victorian referees (Or wherever they were from) decided the game!

Perth fans show alot of emotion and passion for their team. You can hate us fans, but you shouldn't hate our team! Everyone that wins in the Jungle celebrates like they have won the championship! All teams are cocky when they come here! CJ and Henare are the only ones I respect!

Perth will close out game 3! The Breakers will shit themselves! Imagine if we had our captain!

Reply #315117 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

thank you Anon for the tard - english translation

Reply #315118 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

If Perth had their captain there would be more elbows thrown and more fouls called with more perth fans angry with - what they perceive as - bad calls.

Reply #315122 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Redhage is the king of lifting his elbows up when he sets screens on PG's, guy can play but comes across as "dirty" as opposed to "tough".

Reply #315125 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Perth will close out game 3!! Breakers will shit them selves"

hahahahaha. nice try.

Reply #315198 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754