mark
Years ago

Purpose of TI Camps

i thought the purpose of this was to identify new talent that has been missed , overlooked or improved that much since the last TI camp that now they deserve a spot in our programs.

Not a place were we fill up most of the spots with girls currently in the SASI / Country development squads..

Because if this is so , then the heads of those squads currently are not doing there jobs properly.

I have girls in these squads and for all the hours they spend their , the skills etc are not much better than most of there team mates.

So my point is its currently about finding more kids that have been missed and doing a far better job at SASI in improving them...Question how many girls in the 16 program currently can do a proper jumpshot...

What i see is not many

Topic #25399 | Report this topic

Years ago

try getting them to do jump shots - many have been taught

Reply #315160 | Report this post

Hydra 41  
Years ago

Mark,

Are you aware that the U18 State team. Full of 10 SASI players just beat the Victoria Metro team?

A Vic met team that is selected from 10 individual assocations that are bigger than all BSA. Plus another 20 assocations of a similar size.

Realistically, that is a tremendous result for the development that occurs for those players who are able to listen and learn.

You post just exemplifies the igorant nature of those haters who are incapable of understanding the development pathways for individuals and the necesary steps it takes to learn, refine and implement skills like shooting a jump shot.

Reply #315184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HYDRA, are you aware that this particular group of girls across the states is the weakest in a decade so don't place too much on SA development.

Reply #315186 | Report this post

Mark, you might like to schedule "individuals" for your players if you are so concerned about their lack of development.

There is also a significant difference between being able to "do" a jumpshot, and "making" a jumpshot.

You question how many in the U16 program can do a jumpshot, yet you have some of your girls in these squads... might it be that your girls weren't taught jumpshot basics in U12/U14?

Reply #315187 | Report this post

Hydra 41  
Years ago

anon,

How do you know that? How do you comepare across years?

And its not like SA has had bad results in recent history anyway.

Reply #315188 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

TI camps are IMO all about seeing what is out there whilst also showing the kids all the things they should be able to do competently at this age.

My question with this is the way the forms are handed out.

If you finish top you get the most forms.

If you finish last you get the least number (sometimes this means 1)

So how do you find talent in teams that only have 1 form to give out. By my reckoning this means there is a chance you will miss a outstanding kid during TI if he is not the best kid in a loosing side.

I understand that if your team is last is very likely you only have 1 kid worthy of similar talents. But this also means you are missing kids.

TI = Talent Identification

How do you identify talent if they are not given a form to attend.

Reply #315189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes I agree it is very weird.I thought there was a major review of the whole SASI / Hi performance program , including country.

Reply #315190 | Report this post

Years ago

why stress out over jump shots - yes it would be great and some can do them and do the shot well.

get the foul shooting at 80% first

Reply #315192 | Report this post

Ariel 42  
Years ago

Surely thats what the development camp is for.

And if you have more than 1 'outstanding' kid, why are you finishing last?

Most top teams don't have more than 2 outstanding players, so maybe it is your understanding of outstanding that is the issue.

Reply #315193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ariel 42, I think he means outstanding teams which have a bench and while 2 or 3 might be stand-outs many of the outstanding teams' 9 or 10 players would start in all but 2 or 3 clubs.

Part of the problem that exists is that the talented players head for the current best clubs. The top 2 or three clubs dominate season after season and good players at these clubs never really play competitive games week in week out which in part explains why many never go much further than the very average ABL standard.

Many of the top 3 clubs div 2 players would easily beat the minor clubs div 1 teams because they have div 1 players in name only. The top clubs will explain that their div 2 players get better coaching and so div 2 players that could raise the standard of the competition in div 1 by playing for other clubs stay loyal to their clubs and in the main stay div 2 player for life with exceptions of course.

The TI camps are really consolidation camps for already identified kids. The development camps are basically div 2 player camps.The SASI coaches who in the main are from the top clubs and coach district, network and convey their thoughts on certain players. Coaches at district level get as said already forms related to ladder but if you have an outstanding player that has slipped under the radar, N G will always find time to check him or her out. SASI kids receive forms with their name already on the forms supplied.

Some of the top clubs want the right to field 2 or more div 1 teams which of course the minor clubs fight for obvious reasons. With the falling standard of basketball in district and such lopsided results occurring all the time perhaps BSA will need to look at it because souths, woodville, mavs centrals and when Boti retires and stops 'recruiting' southern all are dying with diminished teams, especially in girls.

Reply #315194 | Report this post

Ariel 42  
Years ago

anonomous,

Not really what I thought they were saying at all?

Seems they were saying that their little Johnny didn't get to go to div 1 camp because their team was bad and they only got 1 invite and their little Johnny didn't become an olympic player because the system was against them.

Even though, as you rightly pointed out. There would be better players from other clubs in div 2.

Reply #315195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Hydra41, or is it SP?, hope your team did well in Tassie

Reply #315200 | Report this post

Years ago

the successful clubs have the infrastructure to put a decent programme together with the right people.

Some of the clubs that are in a trough have not had / put the right people in the right spots.

Regardless of what club - a decent player will be recognized.

I agree with the comment above div 1 player / team by name only - the sooner we have pro/rel across the board the better.

however there is always going to be a top team and a bottom team - fact of competition.

Reply #315201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the successful clubs have the infrastructure to put a decent programme together with the right people."

Just how did they get the infrastructure in the first place?

Reply #315204 | Report this post

Smithy  
Years ago

By putting the correct people in place and not allowing club politics to interfeer with the organisation.

By having a committee that makes decisions based on moving forwards rather than complaining about what is going wrong.

Some clubs like Norwood and Sturt have been running Aussie Hoops or OZ Hoops as it was previously known for over 10 years.

Some clubs have organised grants to assist in having development officers and coachign directors.

Other clubs just complain that BSA is not doing enough for them.

Reply #315210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the clubs in chaos chose dynasty building which was about feathering individuals nests and nothing to do with what was right for the club. You shouldn't have a decade at a club in charge running everything and end up with a club that has six girls team all struggling. Pro/rel would end farces like this.

Reply #315235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hydra, are you seriously suggesting this is a strong National's year for girls?

Reply #315236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt and forestville identificatoin

Reply #315237 | Report this post

Hydra 41  
Years ago

anon,

a) how can you say it is not? How do you compare across years objectively?

b) SA have been producing good results for the last 10 years, so surely saying the development of players compared to Victoria who has 20x as many players to chose from make it a mute point.

Reply #315238 | Report this post

Years ago

look at any successful organisation - are there any identical persons, philosophies or processes at your club (whatever that club may be) ?

Reply #315239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hydra, in case it wasn't a typo - "moot point", though I guess you were mute as well!

Reply #315240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I think there is maybe a handful of standout basketballers in each group. Below them you have a group of very good players who may either slip or develop depending on their own efforts firstly and secondly appropriate coaching intervention.

The problem is that these very good players may appear to be better as they are part of a well coached team playing with kids of similar ability. They appear better because of this when compared to a team with less good players and team mechanics. I believe with the same amount of effort put into these kids they are no worse than those being selected but are being deprived of the opportunity even though they pay the same fees to BSA. Don't confuse team success with individual skills - there is a correlation but it is not 100%

Reply #315243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets look at Under 18 State Metro teams then.

Boys: The best kid in this age group is a Southern Tigers player. The team also includes players from Woodville and West. Not one player from one of the big two clubs. Where's the development happening there?

Girls: Arguably the best kid in the age group again plays for Southern Tigers. Another of their best this week plays for Woodville. Also includes players recruited from South and Centrals. 2 clubs provide the numbers but not the stars.

Look at the Under 20s. Look at those invite to Australian Junior Camps. Yes the big two have their players there but there are plenty of others from club without so called programs and the right people etc. The hype about the elite clubs is just that. Hype

You want to do the best thing for your child I'd suggest doing the opposite. Go to or stay at a 'weaker' team. Child gets plenty of attention, plenty of the ball, plenty of court time and plenty of opportunity. Every age group is filled with families whom have fallen for the hype, moved to one of the name clubs and as a result gone nowhere.

If your child has talent he/she will get the elite training at State and SASI level anyway. And as every coach will tell you, the best way to develop is by playing. Best way to play is to get plenty of court time at a 'weaker' club rather than sitting on the bench or sharing the workload with 4 other 'stars' at an elite club.

Reply #315244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the southern player is not the best player in u18s clearly!

Reply #315251 | Report this post

I call BS  
Years ago

Anon 244. The Southern Tigers kid is a very good player but the Australian selectors seem to rank him behind 2 players from Sturt.

"Not one from one of the big 2". Uhhh Sturt have 4, not sure what team you are looking at.

"Look at the Under 20s. Look at those invite to Australian Junior Camps. Yes the big two have their players there but there are plenty of others from club without so called programs and the right people etc"

Uhh who? Don't say Hooley he has only played a handful of games at South, he was Norwood all his life. Sturt players in the boys and Foretville and Sturt in the girls if you go by the last few camps and the last World Champs cycle. Carlin from Centrals is the exception.

Do some research to back up your claims, otherwise people will just call BS, just as I am.

Reply #315254 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes but the Southern Tigers kid did go to an Oz Camp previously and my understanding of selection to one of these camps is based on your stats from nationals, one would then suggest that some kids would be given more time to increase their stats, to ensure selection at one of these camps

Reply #315255 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

Your understanding is wrong.

Plenty of kids have had good stats at Nationals and not gone to All-Australian camps.

Reply #315264 | Report this post

Anonymouss  
Years ago

LOL, Please enlighten us as to your understanding of the process, because there must be one

Reply #315266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches with the clout to piss in the right nationals ears about their players seem to get their way and while most of the time it's justified many players who might have gone if all things were equal miss out. That's life in just about any sport for better or worse.

Reply #315267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley actually played for mavericks when a junior then changed to norwood half way through top age 14. So did his sister. Get your facts correct.

Reply #315277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sister went later than that around first year 18's

Reply #315283 | Report this post

Granny  
Years ago

Sister played 14 Nationals for STurt and won a silver medal.

But dont let the facts get in the way of a good lie.

Reply #315292 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe the key is for SA to keep identifying the kids reasonably early but be aware others may not 'peak' till much later?? (eg. broaden vision along the way maybe??)

Reply #315454 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

The positive of these camps: I was in the system about 15yrs ago and the club div1 coach put me in div3 because he didnt like my parents. Previous to this i had attended an IT camp, from this camp i was sent a letter to trial in a state squad. Pretty ironic a div3 player could possibly get selected for the state team!! Just shows the politics of clubs, but the my main point is these camps help recognise talent beyond the politics.....(please dont send negative crap about i wasnt good enough and thats why i was put in div3, you dont me, people use to hate playing against me, and I found this out by attenting these camps).

Reply #315679 | Report this post

Hammer Time  
Years ago

I think the system works. I am impressed with the SASI program and less with my Clubs program. I sat in on my sons first SASI session and to my amazement they could all do what was asked of them (with different degrees of skill). looking back at the kids who missed out from our club the same cant be said, not one of them would have been able to do the ball skills required at SASI. NG went on to tell the boys this was Under 10 level stuff. I can say with absolute certainty my son's (both Div 1's) were never taught this stuff at Under 10's. There is one Boy from our club who we all thought wouldnt make it through SASI, I can tell you now he is developing a lot faster than any of the other boys and will be a dominant player in 16s next season. Because of where we finished my son was not able to go to the TI camp but he did attend the Development camp. Being in SASI doesnt give you an Automatic pass to TI, if by chance the Girls TI was full of SASI underpinned then doesnt it go to show that SASI is working because their teams were able to send them......?

Reply #316309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754