bballfan
Years ago

U16 Nationals info?

anyone have any info on it?

Topic #25400 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country boys have been selected, as far as I know the girls will be done this weekend

Reply #315203 | Report this post

Magicman  
Years ago

how are u16 metro looking? any talent this year?

Reply #316106 | Report this post

Marvin  
Years ago

prediction on top 4 Mens

1st Vic Metro
2nd Qld South
3rd NSW Metro
4th SA Metro

Reply #322409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro by plenty. Is a stacked group this year, most amount of depth in years. Some very talented kids in there.

Reply #322410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD South have a strong team just like last years. Hopefully not ill this time. There tallest big is about 6'7 6'8 most of their players have previously played in the Aust. Club Championships in 2009 2010 so they should be a tough team 2 come up against.

Reply #322478 | Report this post

BBKING  
Years ago

Anon,
QLD South was a disappoinment last year at the 2010 U16 Aus Nationals. They had the tallest players but they did not perform at all.

The same effort was repeated this year at 2011 U18 Nationals with QLD South U18 Men Ulverston Tassie. They we were absolutely roasted by NSW U18 MM,

I hope they will improve at this year U16 National at Victoria.

From what I have seen so far from the NSW U16 MM, they will not be any where near the top 4 as stated above. They will be more at the 5th or 6 th place.

I do thnk Vic U16 MM will be the winner this year 2011

Reply #322489 | Report this post

Magicman  
Years ago

Interesting NSW have a 6'11 sudanese kid who recently played at the John Lucas prospects camp in the US, played well was ranked number 7 at the camp.

BBKING have you seen this kid play? Is he decent?

Do they have any other bigs in the line up. 6'11 at 15 years old is huge.

Reply #322524 | Report this post

NSW ANON  
Years ago

Magicman,

The 6'11 sudanese kid at the NSW U16 MM will not be a threat to Vic or the top 4 team name above. He plays bb for the 3rd division CLUB in Sydney Metro.

All he can offer is his height. He is the only tall player in NSW MM Team. The next tall player will be 6'4 if that. I beleive he was included because of his height as NSW U16 does not have the big tall players like last year.

The tall fellow can only rebound and dunk but he is not strong enough to do anything else. He is easily bounced off the big boys under the rim. He will need few more years to get strong.

I believe NSW has many tall sudanese players but they are yet to be considered in state team due to their lack of strength / defence etc as in this 6"11 kid in the NSW U16 MM

Reply #322525 | Report this post

Magicman  
Years ago

Yeah i see bolden in not in the line up which will be a big loss.

Who should we look out for at nationals for NSW?

Reply #322526 | Report this post

NSW ANON  
Years ago

To be honest - no one stands out. NSW U16 players are all good and can play but they are not championship materials. For the first time, NSW lost to ACT U16 at the beginning of this year. This is unheard off at this day and age for NSW!!!!

NSW 2011 No.13 (6'3/4) can play big man but he is not as good and skilled as 2010 NSW U16 No.13 Sia who was our leading score last year at the finals against Vic MM. The NSW nO. 13 is still raw and not a good finisher.

I think Vic and SA will can easily won over them.

Reply #322528 | Report this post

Indigo  
Years ago

SA lost to ACT twice at ECC. Not really a great group.

Reply #322529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD South Men defeated ipswich team which included 3 Australian under 17 players Archie Smith, Jason Ralph and Oscar Lin. They won by 2 so I'd love to see how this years nationals play out.

My question is how old do you have to be to make the Australian Under 17 team is it top 16's and bottom age 18's??

Reply #322548 | Report this post

Metta World Peace  
Years ago

Cant see either of the SA teams being competitive in the U-16 Girls. Both squads are very ordinary & not loaded with a lot of exceptional talent, either team will be lucky to finish in the Top 6 IMHO. The SAC Coach (Big Trev) needs to be put out to greener pasture's as he has been there far too long & is seen as a very negative coach who is only happy when he is yelling & belittling his players. Time for SA Country to move Big Trev on & get some fresh blood to develop players!

Reply #322550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lk

Reply #322552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know who the best player in the country is looking like in the 16's boys

Reply #322553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably someone from Vic metro. But QLD south have some good guards

Reply #322554 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

You can be currently bottom age U18 or U16 to qualify for Australian U17 for 2012 World Championships.

Reply #322570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that 6'7 guard from knox is pretty good for vic metro

Reply #322573 | Report this post

Casablabla  
Years ago

Is Dave Simmons' kid in that Vic Met team?

Reply #322576 | Report this post

Years ago

I agree our u16 girls will have a good tourney if any of them finish in top 6.

Vics all over us with height

Reply #322582 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

VIC Metro Team: 2011 U16 Metro Men's Team Announced

Players / Association
Christian Petracca / Bulleen
Reece McKenzie / Bulleen
Marc Pittonet / Bulleen
Luke Hannon / Knox
Ben Simmons / Knox
Jayden Hawkes / Knox
Marek Toman / Knox
Tim Harmer / Dandenong
Marcus Deleur / Keilor
Geremy McKay / Melbourne

Emergencies
Fraser Pearce / Bulleen
Callan Ansell / Bulleen
Kane Annersley / Dandenong
Jayden Bubb / Dandenong
Matthew Owies / Melbourne

Staff
Head Coach:Ross Clark
Assistant Coaches: Anthony Dimis and Alan Torcello
Development Coach: Dale Crotty
Team Manager: Lisa Page
Team Osteopath: Sarah Clement

Check out this initiative:
Coaches & Referees Corner - U/16 Championships

Reply #322585 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Official Tournament Website: Australian U16 Championships

Reply #322587 | Report this post

OI  
Years ago

How tall are these young Vic players?

Reply #322590 | Report this post

Magicman  
Years ago

They have 201cm, 198cm and a couple of 196cm kids.

As always VIC aren't huge but have a good spread of even height, strength is in the wings Mckenzie is 195cm and called the super man for his rebounding and slashing abilities.

PG Petracca another to watch out for, real quick great ball skills.

From QLDS 194cm Jack McVeigh is a high volume scorer and should lead the league in scoring.

VIC Metro is tough 1-10. The question is who will play them in the GF. SAM have always been good in this age group,

My tip is NSWC they have a good bunch of scorers.

Reply #322617 | Report this post

David S  
Years ago

Jack McVeigh is actully 196 and yes should lead in scoring for QLD South. They also have a smart point guard very calm, copes very well under pressure and has good vision.I think his last name is Lomax not to sure? QLD SM should come up against VIC MM. VIC metro will probably do alot of full court man and press correct me if im wrong so with a point guard who copes well under pressure should be an interesting game if they come up against each other.

Reply #322620 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

U16 Men finals?

Probably Vic MM Vs Sth QLD/WA - Definitely not NSW MM

Reply #322621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Went to see the boomers play china in perth and the under 16 WA MM played on the court before the game or after im not sure. But they won't make the finals. They are not great shooters and their bigs are not that great, guards are quick and flashy but thats it. Or maybe they were just nervous im just going by what i saw.

Reply #322627 | Report this post

Magicman  
Years ago

WAM were probably nervous playing infront of a big crowd on a new court. They were also playing intra-squad. They definately have a big side.

Reply #322640 | Report this post

beargangSWAG  
Years ago

That ben simmons kid has game i kno first hand we go to school together he is athletic yes, skillful yes, a winner yes but what people don't know about him much like lebron early on he is a willing passer with incredible vision who gets as much joy passing the ball as he does when he dunks on someone's head with that attribute it allows him to play point guard at times or play primarily as a 'point forward' much like pippen or lebron who bring the ball up the court and organize the team from the forward spot, a kid to look out for. The rest of the metro team players also play football and that is their main preference but this ben kid has what it takes to make it to the big leagues.

Reply #323710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons is a really good player. Vic M this year definitely had more depth than last years team. NSW M should have been in the grand-final however a terrible game by them against Tasmania really hurt them. Both Tas and ACT were definitely the surprise package this year and NSW beat ACT by 10 in their practice game without two of their best players.

VIC M were always tipped to win this year. QLD S were terrible same with SA Metro which is a shame. NSW in the semi's really pushed VICS to the wire and if not for some missed lay-ups and free throws they would have won. It shows that NSW is right behind the VICS and they are scared. It shows on the results the couple of years in the boys U/18 and U/16's

Reply #325193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754