AK-47
Years ago

2011 NBA Playoffs - Discussing the Match Ups

With the NBA playoffs starting on Sunday I thought it would be nice to get a little discussion going..

Western Conference

(1)San Antonio Spurs vs (8) Memphis Grizzlies

Memphis will be excited to be in the playoffs after an absence that stretches back to 2006 and will make Game 1 an interesting one. No Ginobili for game 1 will also give the Grizzlies a little sniff but the Spurs will get away in the only close match of the series. Despite the 2-2 regular season record between the two teams the Grizzlies are chasing their first playoff win (0-12) and without Rudy Gay leading the charge they will struggle to do so. The Grizzlies may snag 1 game in the series but the Spurs will march on comfortably and take the series 4-1.

Regular Season Record
Tied 2-2

Match Up To Watch
Tim Duncan vs Zach Randolph
Randolph can play inside and outside and will stretch Tim Duncan and the Spurs defence. Randolph is a genuine 20 and 10 guy but lacks the playoff experience of Duncan. Whilst Duncan is aging he is still one of the best big defenders in the league and shutting out Randolph will go a long to determining the Spurs dominance in this series.

(2)Los Angeles Lakers vs (7) New Orleans Hornets
The Hornets go into the series without dominant big man David West who suffered a season ending knee injury. The Lakers are also hampered by the almost constant injury cloud over starting centre Andrew Bynum and with the seriousness of his latest knee problems unknown the Lakers will be preparing for the series without him. This brings Lamar Odom into the starting line up and weakens the bench but that should not matter for the purple and yellow. Despite the current poor form of the Lakers they will turn it up for the playoffs and will march through the first round. A Chris Paul inspired Hornets will get hot in one of the games in New Orleans and will snatch one but the Lakers will be mostly unchallenged and will close out the series 4-1.

Regular Season Record
Los Angeles 4-0

Match Up To Watch
Kobe Bryant vs Trevor Ariza
I expect the two former teammates to go head to head this series. Despite Ariza's defensive talent and shutdown abilities, Kobe Bryant is Kobe Bryant and will dominate the series.

(3)Dallas Mavericks vs (6) Portland Trailblazers

It’s been talked up as the series most likely to bring out an upset and I believe that this is a possibility. The Blazers match up extremely well with the Mavericks and after splitting the season series 2-2 the closeness of this series has been set. This is going to be a 6 or 7 game series that goes back and forth and one that will be filled with drama. A lot depends on the health and form of Brandon Roy. If he can return to All Star form then the Blazers get the edge. Their style of play suits the intensity of playoff basketball and despite their inexperience on the biggest stage; I think they’ll perform extremely well. The Mavericks have probably hit the ceiling as far as season potential goes. Whilst having a solid side, there is a gaping hole left at the shooting guard/small forward position left by the Caron Butler injury. This just happens to be the Blazers strongest area with Wes Matthews, Brandon Roy, Nicolas Batum and Gerald Wallace all sharing time in this position. This series is almost too close to call however I am going pick Portland in 6.

Regular Season Record
Tied 2-2

Match Up To Watch
Dirk Nowitzki vs LaMarcus Aldridge
The similarities of these two are almost ridiculous. Both are around 7 feet tall, both shoot the jump shot at a high clip and use their post game to create room for that jump shot. Both are questionable rebounders and defenders but benefit from having shot blocking bigs in Tyson Chandler and Marcus Camby beside them and are both capable of putting up a 40 point game at any point. These two players are in All Star form. Expect this match up to be one of the most fascinating in the first round.

(4)Oklahoma City Thunder vs (5) Denver Nuggets
The most exciting first round series takes place between these two teams. Both play an up tempo, fast and exciting brand of basketball that everyone loves to watch. Both teams are young and reasonably new to the playoff atmosphere, however after seeing what the Thunder did last year against the Lakers there is no doubt that they can play at the level required to achieve success in the playoffs. We are yet to truly see what the new look Nuggets can do which makes this series even more fascinating. Expect the first game to be a poor shooting night as nerves effects these two young teams but make no mistake this will not last. High scoring games with a few extra periods of overtime here and there will keep all basketball fans on the edge of their seats. The Thunder will get this series in 6 but not without a fight.

Regular Season Record
3-1 Thunder

Match Up To Watch
Russell Westbrook vs Ty Lawson and Raymond Felton
The point guard combo for the Nuggets of Lawson and Felton will keep Westbrook on his toes but don’t expect the young guard to be overwhelmed. It will take everything Lawson and Felton have to slow this kid and that may not even be enough.

Eastern Conference

(1)Chicago Bulls vs (8) Indiana Pacers
Expect this to be one of the more boring playoff series. Danny Granger is really the only game changer that the Pacers have and he’ll struggle with his shooting percentage in this series and the Bull’s team defence will absolutely suffocate him. The broom is already out and the Bulls are just 4 games away from completing the sweep and marching on to the second round.

Regular Season Record
3-1 Chicago

Match Up To Watch
Derrick Rose vs Indiana Pacers
Nobody from the Pacers can slow Derrick Rose. They may throw a bigger Dahntay Jones at him but nothing is slowing this seasons MVP

(2)Miami Heat vs Philadelphia 76ers
Doug Collins has done wonders with Philly this season but their fairytale seasons ends very quickly here in the first round. Andre Iguadala will be totally outplayed by a faster, stronger, more talented wing combo of Wade and LeBron and Elton Brand and Chris Bosh will cancel each other out. Jrue Holiday is not good enough to cause the Heat to many headaches at the point guard position thus providing the Heat with a painless first round match up providing the big 3 stay healthy. A sweep would be no surprise as I think this match up with be more one sided than most believe.

Regular Season Record
3-0 Miami

Match Up To Watch
Chris Bosh vs Elton Brand
Expect these two to go at it all series long. The match up will be fierce however expect Bosh to score more as his support is at a far greater standard and his delivery and opportunity should come in bulk these playoffs. Brand will dominate the boards at the defensive end however his second chance points will be limited because of the rebounding prowess of Dwyane Wade and LeBron James.

(3)Boston Celtics vs (6) New York Knicks
New York will love the fact that they are back in the playoffs and will come out with great energy. Their lack of playoff experience will not be much of factor as their leaders Billups, Anthony and Stoudemire will control the game. I expect Chauncey to play a bit of the 2 which will open his offensive game up dramatically and allow him to be that third scoring punch the Knicks require to make a series of it. Many believe this series will an easy one for Boston however I reckon the Knicks can take this to 7. Admittedly everything must go right for them and their big 3 must be firing on all cylinders but the Celts are aging and with no apparent dominance at Centre due to injuries, the Knicks are going to make this an exciting series. Expect each game Boston wins to be close except Game 7 where the Celtics will move on comfortably into the second round, but not without a little scare from New York.

Regular Season Record
4-0 Boston

Match Up To Watch
Kevin Garnett vs Amare` Stoudemire
Expect this match up to involve a tonne of emotion. Garnett is defensively superior, Stoudemire is the same offensively. Stoudemire must rebound better than he has all season and he must match Garnetts intensity. One of the best 1 on 1 match ups of the playoffs.

(4)Orlando Magic vs (5) Atlanta Hawks
Another close series between the fourth and fifth seeds and one that could go either way. The Magic’s hopes rest solely on Dwight Howard’s broad shoulders. Al Horford will guard him all series but if he gets in foul trouble the Hawks are short on back up bigs that can match it with Dwight so expect him to have a dominant series. His free throw shooting will also be very important throughout the whole game. Having the confidence to keep him on the floor late in close games is going to be critical for Stan Van Gundy. The Hawks however, have so many avenues for scoring and though they’ve previously been regarded as soft, I think they’ll stand up and take this series in 6.

Regular Season Record
3-1 Atlanta

Match Up To Watch
Dwight Howard vs Al Horford
A matchup between two monsters. Dwight has Al at both ends of the floor but Al will lift in the playoffs as he did in the Boston Series in 2009 and will play with high level of intensity. Horford will slow Howard but will not stop him. Expect plenty of physicality and a few outbursts of disapproval from the two players.

Topic #25411 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Nice write up AK. I'm super excited for the playoffs, there are quite a few teams that could take the title and i'm hoping for a Bulls/Thunder finals series!

My predictions are:

West

Spurs 4 - Grizz 2
I think the Ginobili injury is a really big deal, he has been fantastic all season however with or without him the spurs will still get it done.

Lakers 4 - Hornets 0
The lakers easily for mine, to many weapons. Chris Paul will have to go into God mode for the to pull out a win and I just can't see him getting enough help from his teammates with West out.

Blazers 4 - Mavs 3
This series will be close, both teams are fairly evenly matched and this could go either way. I'll pick Portland based on my love for Patty!

Thunder 4 - Nuggets 2
Another great matchup. Durant & Westbrook will rise to the occasion and get the Thunder to the 2nd round for the first time!

Bulls 4 - Pacers 0
Indiana have no business in the playoffs, they don't even come close if they were in the WC. Bulls by heaps.

Heat 4 - 76ers 1
The Lebrons will be too strong, I like the 76ers and think they will be competitive but the heat are just too strong. I'm looking forward to Iggy V LeBron, both similar style players, obviously LeBron is much better but should be entertaining anyhow.

Celtics 4 - Knicks 1
I don't know what it is but I still don't rate the Knicks. The Celtics are too good of a team to be pushed by a the Knicks. Melo & Amare will score plenty but beyond that I can't see the C's having to many worries.

Magic 4 - Hawks 3
Dwight v Al is huge. Both squads have shown flashes but have been slightly dissapointing. I'll take the Magic in 7 with both teams taking all their home games.

Reply #315384 | Report this post

aussie boomers  
Years ago

Guys I must admit, I don't know that much about the NBA. Did Milwaukee miss out? Whats the story with Bogut now, will he have surgery? How long until he returns to the court?

Reply #315389 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

aussie boomers,
The Bucks struggled with consistency and missed out on the playoffs, however not by much!
Bogut missed the last 2 games of the regular season to get under the knife, he seemed to really be struggling and even said that he couldnt wait to have surgery. I haven't heard anything as to how long he will be out for but I imagine he'll be back for training camp.

Reply #315390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lakers in 4
spurs in 5
dallas in 6
okie city in 7

bulls in 4
knicks in 6
miami in 5
orlando in 5

Reply #315391 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wasn't the Magic / Hawks 2nd round match up last season the most one sided in play off history with no match getting closer than 20 points? Has that much changed in 12 months to think it might go to 7?

Reply #315393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh agree Billo, Magic will win it easily. And by the way Jason Collins will match up on Howard not Horford. Great write up though AK-47

Reply #315419 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Billo,
yeah last year it was extremely one sided, however the Magic roster was very very different. Add Turkoglu, Richardson and Arenas and minus Gortat, Pietrus and Carter and whilst that doesn't appear to change much losing Gortat to back up Howard, Pietrus to successfully contain Joe Johnson, and Carter to provide some extra offense leaves some big holes. The 3 guys Orlando lost have all been deep in the playoffs and know what it takes to get to the finals. Only Turkoglu has had any deep playoff experience out of the 3 additions, Richardsons offense has been quite good but he regularly goes missing on D which is not going to cut it in the playoffs and Arenas just hasn't worked in Orlando. The Hawks also have the regular season series 3-1 over the Magic so I feel like they match up well against them. Having said this I'm very open to being proven wrong and really just hoping for a good series!

Anonymous '419,
I don't think Jason Collins will guard Dwight as I doubt the Hawks will change their starting line up to allow Jason to come in and guard Dwight. I have no doubt that Jason will come off the bench to do so, but the initial match up and one to watch I think will be Horford on Howard.

Reply #315448 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Fantastic write up AK-47. Overall I think we can gear up for an exciting playoffs across the board.

Just to weigh into the Magic v Hawks series, I don't think the loss of Gortat as backup will hurt the Magic too much in this series as the Hawks really dont have anything spectacular in the centre position anyway. Magic to win in 5, maybe even 4.

Reply #315450 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

For the Gamblers:

Bulls
winning the series 4-0 = $2.70
winning the series 4-1 = $2.30

Heat
winning the series 4-0 = $2.80
winning the series 4-1 = $2.35

Lakers
winning the series 4-0 = $2.80
winning the series 4-1 = $2.35

Reply #315461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754