Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats recruiting depends on Redhage's return

Redhage is the highest paid player on the roster and his rehabilitation from a dislocated hip is progressing well in the United States after two rounds of surgery.

He plans to return to Perth next month but is no certainty to be fit to play at the start of next season.

The Wildcats would have to place Redhage on the long-term injury list in order to free up substantial room in the salary cap, which could be crucial in retaining the likes of uncontracted Boomers guard Damian Martin and young star Jesse Wagstaff.

But Redhage, one of the club's all-time greats, will be given every opportunity to return.

"At this stage our assumption is that Redhage is coming back and I hope that he can pass a fitness test and play for us next season," chief executive Nick Marvin said.

"If he can't, we'll have to look at other options to fill his position."
The article also notes that Brad Robbins is out of contract and Cam Tovey has an option.

Full story at The West

Topic #25420 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

I'll be amazed if Redhage ever suits up for a pro team again. Best of luck rehabbing though - would be an amazing comeback.

Reply #315555 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would love Adelaide to make a run at Tovey.

Reply #315570 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

agree DB5, Tovey is a great young athlete

Reply #315571 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Speaking of Adelaide making a run at players, has there been any news on the Gibson front?? he was expecting to be pretty busy by now.

Reply #315574 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Tovey's being in Perth is partly to do with off-court work unless that was just a convenient excuse to get out of Queensland.

Reply #315578 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would take D Martin over Gibson having the choice between the two. Perth would be crazy not to sign him up immediately Redhage or no Redhage.

Reply #315581 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ah yes, forgot that cheers Isaac. He is an accountant or something like that isn't he?

Reply #315582 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Tovey left Townsville to become an accountant with KPMG in Perth. He then signed with Wildcats, who said they would let him pursue both professional basketball and accountancy at the same time.

Tovey no longer is employed at KPMG (neither in Perth nor elsewhere in Australia). However, I don't know what he's doing, other than playing for the Wildcats, that might still keep him in Perth.

Reply #315583 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't want Tovey. He is just like Brad Hill but just doesn't shoot it from the field as good. He relies on hitting 3's whilst hill gets to the basket.

Reply #315584 | Report this post

Fizzle  
Years ago

Red will e lucky to avoid walking with a limp for the rest of his life let alone play ball again. Was a car crash style injury remember!

Reply #315610 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

judging by his update video a few weeks back he is pushing it hard and doesnt seem to phased by it. riding the bike hard and seems confident he will be playing again. im pretty certain there would have been doctors that would have seen this injury before and would be able to tell redhage if they think he will be able to play again, i dont believe its a matter of if its more a matter of when. i could be wrong but it doesnt appear anyone has told him to not expect to pick up a basketball any time soon.

Reply #315613 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Sounds like it could be a Hentschel type injury - Redhage may make it back onto the court which will be an awesome achievement but will be plagued by injuries and not reach the same level as before.

The thing going for him is that he is an 'Aussie' so even Redhage at 60% of his best would eb a handy bench player. Just mean a recution in his pay packet and role.

Reply #315633 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Tovey, Martin, Wagstaff & Robbins will all re-sign
Redhage will have 1 season off.

Reply #315653 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Martin is out of contract? I agree with you XY, Martin would be my target before Gibson too. Hope we make a run at him early and switch to Gibson once Perth in all likelihood shells out to keep Martin.

Wagstaff would be worth targeting too. Perth will do their best to retain him, but Wagstaff brings the toughness the Sixers lack up front, so he'd be a good signing for them.

Reply #315654 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Tovey could have been the x factor for Tville. Shame Trev couldnt keep him

Reply #315715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754