HoldenV8
Years ago

Ron Howard back in the D-League

I see that former 36er Ron Howard is back playing in the NBA D-League for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and in 8 games played he's putting up better numbers than he did here in Australia.

Adelaide: Played 11, 8.8 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game
Fort Wayne: Played 8, 11.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game

Seems also that the Mad ants have been playing him @ SF where Marty Clarke had him @ SG. I dare say he gets the ball more @ SF in the D-League than he did here in the NBL. There were a few games here that I saw Howard was wide open down the left yet Eddie Shannon was constantly looking to get the ball inside to Balls and almost completely ignored the open man. Though I will say that's as much a team structure problem as it is Shannon not using him.

Good to see the guy doing ok after his injury here. Just a pity we didn't see the numbers we could have if he was used, dare I say it, properly or more often.

Topic #25434 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I see also that Craig Winder is playing for the Maine Red Claws in the D-League. His numbers are roughly the same as what he had with the 36ers.

Adelaide: Played 8, 10.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game
Maine: Played 11, 10.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game

Good to see both ex-36ers doing well after injuries prevented longer stays here.

Reply #315740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With the 36ers 21.0 MPG.
With the Mad Ants 28.1 MPG.

8.8 PPG with 36ers, adjusted to 40 MPG is 16.8 PPG. 11.1 PPG in the D-League, adjusted to 40 MPG is 15.8 PPG.

Actually scored at a better rate with the 36ers but is just getting played more with the Mad Ants, and in 48 minute games.

Reply #315743 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Note to that the D-League games don't tend to have much structure to them; players get the ball and do something with it. There are a select few people who chose to pass off to other players, the majority just shoot and rebound.

I'm amazed aspiring guards in the D-League aren't racking up 11-12 ast per game.

Reply #315744 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I've said it many times before, the D-League is a "me" League. It is more about individual play rather than playing as a team (there are some exceptions).

Whilst the athleticism may be higher in the D-League and there certainly are some very good players in it, the standard of teamwork and team play is very poor in comparison to the NBL and most leagues in Europe.

Reply #315746 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Holden V8, you're a Sixers fan right? So why the love for one of the worst imports we ever had?

I don't care what numbers he puts up in the D-League, the guy can't shoot outside of 3 feet, can't create a shot for himself, doesn't defend well, doesn't rebound well.

He's a one trick pony and that one trick is well-suited to the D-League where he can get lots of transition layups!

Man I am just so over crap imports. The theme tune to Happy Days just makes me angry now!

Reply #315749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch him train with the Sixers, he could certainly shoot the rock there!

Reply #315752 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

consistantly was found open on the wing, and consistantly missed it. ive seen many social bball players hit those shots when it was needed.

Reply #315757 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Beantown, I'm not saying I'm a fan of Howard's. I just don't think we used him like we should have during games. A lot of the 36ers team structure during the season saw guys often left open on the wings while the PG was looking for opportunities to get the ball inside to Balls. That also explains why Eddie Shannon held onto the ball for over half the 24sec clock at times. But if the defense is covering your main option and he's not creating any space for himself, look elsewhere. That elsewhere is where a guy like Howard could have been better used.

And anon (reply #315752) is right, watch Howard at 36ers training and he was more than a one trick pony and could definitely shoot. I just don't think the 36ers used Howard to his full talents.

But regardless of that, all I was really saying was that it's good to see two ex-36ers in Ron Howard and Craig Winder doing well overseas after injuries here prevented a longer stay. The only time I wouldn't say that about an ex-36er is if they were helping someone else beat us or if it was Julius Hodge.

Reply #315784 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Holden, let me first just say I respect many of the views you have posted on here. It's also very nice of you to wish the best for ex-Sixer imports. I'm afraid that with all the crap us Sixers fans have been through for nearly a decade though, I'm not feeling as generous anymore! The last thing I want to see is failed Sixer imports playing well for some other team!

With regard to the offence, I agree that it was bloody awful, but I still saw Howard get plenty of opportunities to make his mark and he kept fluffing his lines.

I certainly don't think his struggles can be blamed on the offence. If he was good enough to be an import worth having, he would've found ways to score DESPITE the offence. Saw him try a few times and he embarassed himself by turning the ball over or throwing up a prayer because he couldn't shake his man.

Reply #315785 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Beantown, thanks for that respect. Its appreciated.

You know what? I really have no argument with what you're saying about Howard. I know he could do it in training but doing it in a game with defence coming harder at you etc is where it matters and his numbers weren't that good here, only shooting @ 38.5%. Coming from a guy who played in the 2010 D-League All-Star Game its not good enough really. Instead of staying out on the wing, why not cut to the hoop and create something or go set a screen for the PG to be able to cut through or get a shot off? You're right, he should have been capable of creating things like that. I didn't see that one.

I'll agree Howard was a failure here and Winder probably was as well but it was a coaches and management decision to release both of them. Only being 8 games into the season, was that enough to see Winder wasn't going to work? Eddie Shannon really didn't do any better and he had 19 games in which to do so.

I wish neither were failures here. We're in need of a winning season, hell we want a championship.....and a decent return on our import investments. Its been too damn long between drinks. But at least playing with the 2010-11 36ers hasn't hurt their careers back in the USA.....

Reply #315789 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great point about the offence Holden. Look at Townsville, they would work a couple of ball rotations and numerous screens before getting the ball to Schenscher, making it harder for the D to collapse on him.

Having said that, Townsville had more talent and a coach with five years NBL experience. Hopefully the Sixers will show theyve learned some lessons come next season.

Reply #315799 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Guarentee both imports would have performed better under any other coach in the NBL.
Marty Clark wants people to adapt to how he wants them to play, instead of playing to the players strenghts. Hopefully next year he realises this is how to lose games.

Reply #315837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754