saw the new Perth stadium on the news - veeeerrry nice - 12-14,000 seater

Topic #25447 | Report this topic

The Special One  
Years ago

The Maher court is still the best basket ball stadium in the country

Reply #316004 | Report this post

desmondhaynes  
Years ago

does any1 know if the roof will be able to open?

Reply #316018 | Report this post

party rock anthem  
Years ago

maybe - it is also a tennis stadium

Reply #316022 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yes, it has a retractable roof.
Will be a very nice stadium for sure, but I wonder if it's going to be too big for basketball.
Just look at how barren the SEC looks with 4,000 people in it. 12,000 is a lot of seats to fill.

For concerts it should be excellent though.

Reply #316025 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dunkin, this is one of the problems for the A-league, teams like Melbourne and Sydney and Brisbane playing in caverns, where even a solid crowd looks poor. 11-12k is too much for basketball in this country - 5-7k is far better, more chance of a break-even on crowds.

Reply #316027 | Report this post

party rock anthem  
Years ago

it will be interesting wildcats sold out regularly at old stadium - which was smaller

Reply #316038 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Perth Arena has to have one of the slowest build times for a major arena in recent memory. I mean, they broke ground on the site back in 2007.

And like others, I question the wisdom of the Wildcats moving there, purely on crowd numbers. Moving to a state of the art facility can only be a good thing provided the price is right. Anyway, if the new arena had been built in the 90's when they regularly sold out the 8,200 seat Entertainment Centre then I can understand. But the place will apparently hold 13,500 for basketball and I question the Wildcats ability to fill that for anything than an opening night or a grand final. It'll almost be like when the Kings couldn't draw a crowd to the Sydney Superdome. A cavernous feel with little atmosphere

Still, to make it big you have to think big and if Perth does move to the new arena then seriously, good luck to them, I hope they draw well there.

Reply #316041 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HO - 5 to 7K crowds is a bit of an upgrade from you for basketball in this country !!

i thought we were doomed!!!

Reply #316042 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Nice Skull. But you wanna re-read it. I said stadiums of 5-7 were best, i did not say they would be full mate!

Reply #316050 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754