LC
Years ago

Townsville & Melbourne Head Coaching Jobs

With Gleeson handing in his resignation, there are a hiost of potential applicants lining up for the head coaching role.

Coaches go troppo

According to the above article from the Townsville Bulletin, Westover and Joyce have both interviewed for the role amongst 8 applicants that includes 2010/11 assistant coaches Paul Woolpert and Liam Flynn. However the article states that Woolpert has the upper hand at this point in time.

From the article on Gleeson: "It is understood Gleeson, who will return to Melbourne to be closer to family as wife Dawn recovers from breast cancer, will have his interview with the Tigers today - as one of four coaches shortlisted."

So who do you think will get the Townsville coaching job? And who is liklely to get the Tigers coaching spot?

Topic #25454 | Report this topic

yeah you know me  
Years ago

Tigers Short List is

Valdermort
Gleeson
Dmac
Molloy

Valdermort was a lock until Gleeson's circumstances changed.

Woolpert will be Crocs new coach

Reply #316065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is valdemort? Tried googling him but only found Harry potter references

Reply #316067 | Report this post

Big ads  
Years ago

It's a pseudonym for a previous championship winning sixer's coach

Reply #316070 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Phyl Smithe...(spelt incorrectly as HE is the ONE who shalt not be named on this forum - hence the nickname).

Reply #316072 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Hahaha I googled Valdermort too. Thanks for clearing that up for me also!

What are the chances of Corey Williams and Gleeson co-existing anyway? I'm a Tigers supporter and I feel like if Gleeson went to Melbourne, surely Williams will be out and they will try and go down the Adam Gibson path as other people have mentioned.

Reply #316073 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Interesting to see if Phil gets back into coaching, would be very itneresting to see how he goes and if he has changed his style at all and how he goes with recruiting top young talent. If he gets it i hope he is succesful as i always enjoyed watching the 36ers free flowing, high scoring style of game.

Off topic, would Gleeson leaving give us more of a chance of recruiting Schenscher back to the 36ers?

I still hope we manage to snare Schenscher and Gibson even if it means just running with one import.

Reply #316082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect Melbourne have got Gibson and ditched Homicide.

D Martin was uncontracted last I heard, but asking for a crapload of money.

Reply #316083 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

I guess it also has to do with what the Tigers focus is. Williams has his benefits, mainly his marketability. He makes the game relevant and gets the Tigers a mention in the media down here.

If they were taking the route to win a championship (which I hope they are) you couldn't go past recruiting Gibson. However if they stick with Williams I have a feeling it would have a feeling his media profile will have something to do with it.

Reply #316086 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

In my opinion Homicide will be signed, regardless of who the coach is and regardless of whether Gibson signs.

Purely because of the McPeake factor, everything goes through him.

Reply #316088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think this opens up the 36ers chances in trying to poach Schenscher from the Crocs.

Never understood the OTT fasciantion with Gibson, glad that's passed.

Reply #316103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754