LC
Years ago

NBA Lockout Looms Large

The likelihood of an NBA lockout is increasing by the day as the players head down the road of their NFL counterparts through the decertification of the NBA players' union.

Report: NBA players could decertify

The NBA is facing the possibility of a lockout when the collective bargaining agreement between the union and the owners expires on June 30.

In the event of an NBA lockout, the union could do what the NFL union did - decertify, then file an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA anywhere the league does business.

The NBA and its union remain divided on key issues; the league's owners want to replace the current soft salary cap and luxury tax system with a hard salary cap, as well as reduce the length of guaranteed contracts.

Australian and Milwaukee Buck Andrew Bogut has previously outlined his thoughts on Melbourne's SEN radio, stating the NBA lockout was a near 100% done deal already and that the players had very good representation and a well organised case.

What are everyone's thoughts on the prospect of a lockout?

For one thing, I'd love to see if we could not entice Patty Mills and even Andrew Bogut back to Australia to play even a cameo role in the NBL to help lift the league's profile...but then again maybe I'm dreaming...

Topic #25456 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I have a feeling NBA players who are in the middle of a contract (like Bogut) can't play anyway in the world in a lock out or the jeopardize their deal. Mills on the other hand is free.

The lock outs are BIG talk over here and with today's decision by the supreme court judge to end the NFL lockout and let the players back into team facilities would back up the NBA players case significantly.

GAME ON... or OFF as it will be

Reply #316092 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

DJ Rod, I don't know how true that is with Bogut, As a few contracted players are fairly keen (Jennings and Dirk). I recall reading an article saying that the NBA (Stern) can't stop guys playing as they arn't paying them. But I would assume the player would have to organise insurance on the current NBA contract just in case of long term injury.

Reply #316093 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I'd love to see Lebron and Kobe lining up for the Melbourne Tigers next season.

Reply #316102 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bogut could bring out some of his Bucks teammates for a few appearances.

Has Bogut indicated if he plans to play in the NBL once he has finished in the NBA?

Reply #316107 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jake, I don't think he has to date...but he has shown a desire to help with the NBL in the past financially - I think it was West Sydney from memory - and has helped with media exposure when he has been back in Melbourne.

Reply #316122 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

It's an insurance issue...

Reply #316147 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

DJ Rod here is the article (interview with Stern) I was talking about, the insurance thing I read some place else but is something that comes with all NBA contracts but will be void during a lockout, so if a player wants to play elsewhere would have to get his own insurance for their protection.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6125242

Reply #316158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will it be a lockout or a reduced game season like before? bogut gave some financial assistance in the past but said he didnt want to go much further unless he owned a team, and that wouldnt be until he retired.
will the players still get paid or just be on reduced salaries?
its interesting that when bogut wanted to play at the wcs he was pressured not to, but now that they may not be paying them on that basis theyd consider letting them play elsewhere.
its all a bit confusing to me really. so many differing articles out there.
its sad this finals series could be the last nba games we see in a while

Reply #316173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lockout is overblown.
they will be locked out over the offseason only.
no games will be missed.
relax everyone - dont beleive the hype.

Reply #316443 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I remember the last time a lockout happened Luc Longley was considered a chance playing for the Perth Wildcats but the insurance would cost the wildcats $10 ,000 a month. Alan Black who was the coach of the Wildcats at the time contends the Wildcats were going to pay it and claimed they had everythiing in place but then the Lock out ended and an NBA shortend season resume.

As for Bogut coming and playing over here. Well I needed a good laugh. After the injuries that have wrecked his season this year, he was virtually playing with one arm, I doubt he would risk it all for a return to the NBL. Even the Boomers maybe won't be in contention for Bogut anytime soon. HE has had a lot of injuries and I can gurantee you that the Bucks will be pressing Bogut not to risk injury for international dutie.

Just on a different note. I remember when Luc Longley ruled himself out of the 1998 World Championchips because he did'nt want to risk injury because he was scheduled to get a new contract in the NBA. I was one of those who critcised him. But Longley now contends that playing in the sydney Olympics hurt his ankles when he should of been resting them up and pretty much ended his NBA carrer through injury. After reading that I'm probably now more forgiveing on NBA players who not wanting to risk injury for Olympic dutie.

Reply #316483 | Report this post

Titan88  
Years ago

Cibona from Croatia is in contact with Bogut and his father Miso and in case of NBA lockout Bogut as Croatian patriot will play for Cibona without money (Cibona has to pay only insurance for Bogut)

http://sportski.net.hr/kosarka/page/2011/05/15/0058006.html?pos=n1

Reply #317711 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Bogut Twittered about this saying he hasn't spoken with anyone from the club

Reply #317712 | Report this post

Titan88  
Years ago

For your info. he is going in Croatia soon......
Croatian news papers doesn't lie, he wants to play for them

Reply #317719 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Awesome to learn Croatian newspapers don't lie.

Can you please quickly send me my lucky numbers for today, I'm a Pisces.....

Reply #317730 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I liked Knicks rookie (former rookie?) Landry Fields' Twitter take:

Someone get the pliers, I'm determined to make this tube of toothpaste last. #possiblelockout

Reply #317734 | Report this post

Titan88  
Years ago

Ineedmore

Manager of Cibona told to news paper that he is in direct contact with Bogut and his father..........
I don't think that he will lie. Read the artilcle please.
Wrong address for your lucky numbers.....look somewhere else

Reply #317740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754